• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Red Blaster said:
Is there rubberband AI in this? I got extremely pissed when I saw that fucking Eddy Curry was outrebounding Dwight Howard as the Knicks went on a 15-2 run in the 4th quarter and almost stole the game.

I was messing around with the settings trying to figure out if I should turn off clutch factor. One game I turned it off, and started out great, was up 17 & a few 3s in the 1st quarter with a 64% fgp. The other 3 quarters, I couldn't make shit. All the layups, dunks, a wide open shots were bricking.

I turned it on the next game, couldn't make anything til the 4th quarter but I was already down 30. I got it down to 5 but with 1 minute left in the game. :mad:

mbmonk

ecnal said:
stick passing doesn't eliminate the need to icon pass.

you can't lead a player with stick passing like you can with icon passing.

I actually an using Icon Passing more than right stick passing on breaks. Being able to lead a person is a HUGE deal.

ecnal

mbmonk said:
I actually an using Icon Passing more than right stick passing on breaks. Being able to lead a person is a HUGE deal.

ya, if there's only one piece of advice anyone should have in relation to passing in 2K11, it should be to learn and master icon lead passing.

nothing else matters.

ecnal

Red Blaster said:
Is there rubberband AI in this? I got extremely pissed when I saw that fucking Eddy Curry was outrebounding Dwight Howard as the Knicks went on a 15-2 run in the 4th quarter and almost stole the game.

AI definitely rubberbands. you'll notice that, if you're up huge late in the game, the CPU will start to make ridiculous shots while the vast majority of your players go cold. in the gaf league, we refer to this as a "2K run" because we've all experienced it--both offline and online.

i was up by 37 in one of the jordan challenges (i think it was the cavs game) and the CPU went on a 28-4 run in the 4th, capped by MJ and scottie both missing multiple wide open dunks.

Dirk is a fucking monster in this game. Jesus... Also, they nailed his play style, signature moves, etc. Incredible attention to detail.

Also, what plays are y'all running? I've changed almost all of my PG/SG/SF plays for the Thunder. :lol

ecnal said:
AI definitely rubberbands. you'll notice that, if you're up huge late in the game, the CPU will start to make ridiculous shots while the vast majority of your players go cold. in the gaf league, we refer to this as a "2K run" because we've all experienced it--both offline and online.

i was up by 37 in one of the jordan challenges (i think it was the cavs game) and the CPU went on a 28-4 run in the 4th, capped by MJ and scottie both missing multiple wide open dunks.

I have gotten a couple of blowouts (won Double Nickel by 36) but the sometimes it's just pure BS. I understand basketball is a game of runs, but I expect in 2k11 that there would be realistic runs as in the star player getting ultra hot. There's no plausible way that Eddy Curry can outrebound Dwight Howard. After my post last night, I played a Raptors vs Bulls game and the Raptors went insane shooting 84% in the 3rd quarter. I had held them to the low 40s the previous 2 quarters...*sigh*

m2771964.jpg

Love that dunk. :D

The M.O.B

I finally got to the dreaded MyPlayer matchup, Lakers Vs Heat. My 53 OVR SF against Lebron.

I set a career high of 56 pts on 46% shooting and I was 75% from 3pt, but It wasn't enough to not get bulldozed by Miami. Oh and Phil Jackson thought It would be funny to switch me between guarding Lebron at SF and then moving me to SG to guard Wade....... :(

I did get 8000 skill points of out it though thanks to the 2X multiplier, and Player of the Week. which was an extra 1000 i think.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I got KG on my Association Mode team, and its damn near impossible to run drills for any other low post guys with him on the roster. He rebounds over anyone, his low post offense is too beautiful to guard, his mere presence forces my young centers to miss...

Anyways, any tips for isomotion and the like? I've got the hand of mid-range stuff, but I've still got quite a ways to go as far as getting into the lane is concerned.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The M.O.B said:
I finally got to the dreaded MyPlayer matchup, Lakers Vs Heat. My 53 OVR SF against Lebron.

I set a career high of 56 pts on 46% shooting and I was 75% from 3pt, but It wasn't enough to not get bulldozed by Miami. Oh and Phil Jackson thought It would be funny to switch me between guarding Lebron at SF and then moving me to SG to guard Wade....... :(

I did get 8000 skill points of out it though thanks to the 2X multiplier, and Player of the Week. which was an extra 1000 i think.
Did you find the sim quarter length option for My Player? I think you were talking about needing to adjust it earlier.

The M.O.B

XiaNaphryz said:
Did you find the sim quarter length option for My Player? I think you were talking about needing to adjust it earlier.

I found it :D

That's probably the reason I finally got a player of the week award.

Miroslav

this is my first nba 2k and i just a started a my player mode. man this mode is UNFORGIVING, its just too difficult. I mean, im not asking to be bryant but my player just cant jump, misses all the shots (even the shittiest layups)and dont you try to steal a ball, you get penalized all the time. any advice for a newcomer???

Zep

Banned
Trying to figure out if Dirks off-balance fade is in the game...Cause Ive been trying for 10mins and can't pull it off.

XiaNaphryz

Miroslav said:
this is my first nba 2k and i just a started a my player mode. man this mode is UNFORGIVING, its just too difficult. I mean, im not asking to be bryant but my player just cant jump, misses all the shots (even the shittiest layups)and dont you try to steal a ball, you get penalized all the time. any advice for a newcomer???
  • TURN OFF AUTOSAVE! That way you can just reload and restart if something drastically goes wrong, and My Player has a separate autosave menu option from the main menu's save options. So you can disable it in the main menu but it won't apply to My Player. :lol Making an extra save file every now and then as the season progresses isn't a bad idea either in case you need to go back a month or two due to some big injury or something.
  • Start at Rookie or Pro difficulty. Don't move up until you feel the game's too easy.
  • Play at least 8 min quarters - games don't take forever to finish (especially from summer league on when you sit out every now and then for subs), but you still have enough time to try and get decent stats (or recover from a lousy start).
  • Use Athletic for your starting build. Those are the most expensive to upgrade.
  • Focus your initial skill points in offensive stats (not too much in 3 pt shot as that gets expensive fast).
  • Find one drill you can get gold on and keep doing that one (the shooting one should be pretty easy).
  • During games, play smart and don't force passes - too many turnovers are the biggest killer due to the multiple negative team scores you can get on just one bad move (i.e. you can get hit by bad pass, turnover, bad transition defense, allow score off turnover, allow man to score, and a personal foul all in one sequence if you really screw things up).
  • Once you figure out how to drive around someone to get into the lane for a layup/dunk and free up space for a short to medium jump shot you can consistently hit, use those for your bread and butter plays that you can rely on for getting points and assists. Your teammates will miss a lot before you get onto a full NBA squad, but keep passing if you see an opening.
  • Give and gos are your friend if you can reliable drive free to the basket after a pass, call for the ball right back for an easy layup/dunk. You can do this without screens if you're good enough. You'll need to try and do a lot of this as your CPU teammates don't really move a lot during the pre-draft workout and summer league sessions.
  • On defense, stick close to your man if he's one pass away. Deny ball to fill the passing lane, and if he gets the ball stay in front of him to prevent drive penetration. If he goes for a jump shot, get close and go for the block - as long as you contest it you'll gain teammate score for good shot defense even if he makes the bucket and thus avoid the "allow man to score" penalty.
  • You can gain teammate score for just playing fundamental basketball - on transitions filling the lane properly on fast breaks on both offense and defense, boxing out your matchup when a shot's on the way to go for a rebound, fouling a player going for an easy/close shot, etc. Be aware you can get penalized for not doing some of these correctly.
  • Try to position yourself for defensive rebounds if you're near the basket. Rebounds are an easy way to earn positive teammate score.
  • Worst case, if you need points in a hurry you can try and cherry-pick for easy layups/dunks - when an opponent goes for a shot, sprint to the opposite basket if your team gets the rebound quickly enough they'll throw you the ball for the easy score. Be aware this can backfire if the opposing team gets an offensive board and your matchup scores you'll lose teammate score for both allowing the score and leaving your defensive assignment.
Ultimately, the only way to get better is to just practice until you get the controls down. Especially Isomotion, icon lead passing, and stick passing. I highly recommend the Operation Sports strategy video series:

Defensive Settings
Understanding Movement
Passing

I'm sure they'll continue making more as time goes on.

If you do all these and get decent stats, you should do no worse than a late 1st round draft pick. My current guy's a backup PG with the Magic, but I seem to be getting more playing time as time goes on.

Don't forget to set the sim quarter time in the options to whatever you're using for in-game, or you'll have no shot at any league awards!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Loving this game!

I just played my first My Player game with the Thunder in the regular season. (Chose SF and get drafted by the team with DURANT!)

The commentators were talking about me, saying ill be a good player but never a great one. Ill show them, the bastards!

XiaNaphryz

viakado said:
gonna add these to the OP. these are fantasmic vids for rookies wanting to learn the nuances.
When are you going to remove the silly disclaimer? I'm sure the Elite thread can use it whenever it pops up!

smik

RJNavarrete said:
Dirk is a fucking monster in this game. Jesus... Also, they nailed his play style, signature moves, etc. Incredible attention to detail.

Also, what plays are y'all running? I've changed almost all of my PG/SG/SF plays for the Thunder. :lol

:lol

yeh i have been changing plays to, amazingly Deep how you can change plays for bench players to

changed a majority of my plays for the LAKERS, i know it mind sound crazy to change Triangle Offenses plays but some that are infective for online plays.

Gave Kobe a Backdoor slash play and a 90's piston DUB for a spread of the through for a open 3, also my gave role players like Steve Blake,
Matt Barnes (Twist) and Shanon Brown (T wolves 12 Alley for his amazing hop ability) plays that utilize there skills to there maximum.

cant give away my plays...spys are around :D

designing plays for your bench is key, when kobe/gasol/odom are out lakers struggle a little for points

fuck! im getting so sucked up in how deep this game is im loving it :lol , im doing shit i would never do with sports games.

pilonv1

Has anyone got a My Player with a vertical higher than 65? My guy is 6'11" so I think that may have something to do with it.

benjipwns

Banned
pilonv1 said:
Has anyone got a My Player with a vertical higher than 65? My guy is 6'11" so I think that may have something to do with it.
6-11, 260, still in the summer league, vertical of 85. With the points I have sitting unused I could bump it up to 89 if I wanted to.

Omiee

if i use the sim to end of the game option in my player mode, will my player still score or not.
and i heard something about a sim quarter thing where can i find that

so close to finishing the "double nickle" Jordan challenge, i need about 19 points and hold the lead.

:lol :lol at getting double/tripled teamed in the Boston Jordan challenge.

pilonv1

benjipwns said:
6-11, 260, still in the summer league, vertical of 85. With the points I have sitting unused I could bump it up to 89 if I wanted to.

Did you use athletic? I used Defensive as my base, and when I hit 65 it goes red and I can't up it anymore.

mbmonk

2k camera vs Broadcast camera

I have found that these two cameras effect my game in a interesting way.

Broadcast Camera ( I zoom out as far as possible in this camera mode )
1) Easier on ball defense. For some reason, I can't really explain it, I play MUCH better on ball D from the Broadcast cam. I think it's because I fall for left/right direction fakes on the 2K cam because it's more top down. But on Broadcast I can actually lock down most people.
2) Better free throws. I look for the point where the player cups the ball, right before they start the forward motion and follow through. This is much easier on Broadcast. My free throw percentage has gone up to 90%+ as opposed to 70%+, roughly speaking.

2K Camera (Default)
1) Easier Fast Breaks. I can easily see down the court after a rebounds. So I can really get out and run.
2) Better Transition Defense. It's much easier to see when and where someone is trying to cherry pick. With the Broadcast camera cherry picking might be problematic, just because it limits your down court vision. So far I haven't had a problem, but it could become one. As mentioned above I zoom out the broadcast camera as far as possible to try to mitigate this potential problem.

What are some of the things that you noticed about how the camera angles affect your play?

Just played my first few games after I bought it yesterday and all I can say is wow...Not easy for newcomers. The menus are messy piles of shit. No explanations about anything. I boot the game up, hit Start at the Menu and I'm playing the classic Bulls vs Lakers. OK, I don't want to play this. I play it anyway, figure out some of the controls, finally figure out how to start a Season afterward...Play two games and the exact same thing happens both games. Close in the first quarter, I blow them out in the second, then they destroy me in the second half and I can't make any shots. What the hell? So very confused and frustrated. At the game's shit menu's and tutorials and the game's I've played so far. I'm sure you'll all ROFL at me and continue discussing the intricacies which I do not understand, but serious starter tips would be nice.

XiaNaphryz

Omiee said:
if i use the sim to end of the game option in my player mode, will my player still score or not.
and i heard something about a sim quarter thing where can i find that
I dunno, I've only used "sim until subbed back in" up until now.

For the sim thing, just go to the gameplay options when in the My Player main screen.

ecnal

mbmonk said:
2k camera vs Broadcast camera

I have found that these two cameras effect my game in a interesting way.

Broadcast Camera ( I zoom out as far as possible in this camera mode )
1) Easier on ball defense. For some reason, I can't really explain it, I play MUCH better on ball D from the Broadcast cam. I think it's because I fall for left/right direction fakes on the 2K cam because it's more top down. But on Broadcast I can actually lock down most people.
2) Better free throws. I look for the point where the player cups the ball, right before they start the forward motion and follow through. This is much easier on Broadcast. My free throw percentage has gone up to 90%+ as opposed to 70%+, roughly speaking.

2K Camera (Default)
1) Easier Fast Breaks. I can easily see down the court after a rebounds. So I can really get out and run.
2) Better Transition Defense. It's much easier to see when and where someone is trying to cherry pick. With the Broadcast camera cherry picking might be problematic, just because it limits your down court vision. So far I haven't had a problem, but it could become one. As mentioned above I zoom out the broadcast camera as far as possible to try to mitigate this potential problem.

What are some of the things that you noticed about how the camera angles affect your play?

only one way to play, 2K cam FOR LIFE.

Does this game have a mode where a friend and I can play online and on the same team versus the CPU instead of straight-up versus online multiplayer (I like local offline multi in sports games)? I ended up with the PS3 version of this because the Toys R Us I was at didn't have the 360 version, which my friend is playing, and I was eventually looking to exchange my copy for the 360 one, too.

mbmonk

So I am putting this post up more for myself than others. Hopefully it might help others but if I post it here I am more likely to see it and remember it. Yes I check this thread THAT much :D

This is what I have learned about on ball defense against people online who just repeatedly drive to the basket over and over again. Please feel free to add/critique as you wish.

1) Force the driver toward your teammates/help - The driver is always going to look for a clear path to the basket. So he is naturally going to try to drive to a location where there won't be any help. You should be asking yourself "Where is my help?" when you opponent catches a pass. Try to force him toward your teammates, especially your big men.
2) Draw charges - If you stop/cut off the driver you will enter a contact animation. If you press the Circle button on he PS3 you will attempt to take a charge. This will work well against those people that just refuse to give up on drives. WARNING: You will get called for a block if they stop their drive, and the restart. I need to narrow down when to exactly press the button, but it does work. Great for those "Lebron to the basket by any means necessary" players.
3) Force jumpers first - Many low level players want to drive all the time, every time. Play off of them. Give them the jumper and see if they take it. I will give someone multiple jumpers before I close out on them. They have to prove they will take & make them before I will risk coming out on them.
4) Experiment with the camera - For me personally I play better D with Broadcast. Might or might not work for you, but at least test it out.
5) Guessing isn't that hard really - The general rule is pretty simple. An offense wants space to work. The defense wants to constrict and condense the offense so the defense doesn't have to guard the entire court. This somewhat goes hand in hand with #1 on the list. The offensive player is almost always going to try to move toward open space. You should deny that. That general rule will stop a large majority of drives alone. As the game develops you will get a read on how and where he likes to drive and then you REALLY start shutting them down, because even when they are trying to be clever you will 'feel' it before they try it and shut that down as well. It's a great feeling when you are stoning them on that level.
6) Defensive matchups - You should always try to get your best defender on their star player. Don't be afraid to experiment with matchups. I put John Wall on Kobe to stop the drive. I knew the Lakers player wasn't going to post up Kobe. If he had, it would have been a huge mismatch. But I am going to make him exploit the mismatch before I change it. Most low level players never do. Advantage you.
6) Don't be afraid to call for a double team - Against low level players their only intent is to drive for a dunk, passing is way down on the priority list. Once they get near the paint, I will sometimes call for double team. This will normally stone their drive. That will force them to *gasp* pass the ball. This is a last resort of course. You will leave an offensive player wide open.
7) L2 and the Right Stick is the Commando Pro of NBA 2k11 - If they start to beat you to a specific side hold down L2 and press that direction on the right stick. This will perform a cut off move, seems more like a commando pro teleport than anything, this will allow you to recover when you have been slightly beaten early on in the drive.
8) "Deny Ball" - This isn't a 100% related to stopping the drive, but in general you want to set the defensive pressure to "Deny Ball" on their star player. This setting means that the defender will not leave the star player to help teammates on defense. This will make it harder for their star player to get it going.

Just thought I would get this down in a post so I could reference it later :D

charsace

pilonv1 said:
Neither did I, which is very annoying.
They do it to stop the fucking cheesing that went on in my player last year. You had nothing but max height, max stat guys cherry picking all day. You were basically a fool if you tried to make a superstar that focused on one thing.

Here is a defensive tip for those that don't know if a guy abuses turbo you can get a charge on them more than half the time if you beat them to the spot and get engaged in a an animation that causes them to pick up or lose their dribble. Just press B when those type of animations start. Learned this playing against my brother who loves using Jordan and the turbo.

pilonv1

charsace said:
They do it to stop the fucking cheesing that went on in my player last year. You had nothing but max height, max stat guys cherry picking all day. You were basically a fool if you tried to make a superstar that focused on one thing.

Except this year you're limited by position, so you can make a 7'0 SF and cause problems.

Right idea wrong execution.

Smokey

mbmonk said:
So I am putting this post up more for myself than others. Hopefully it might help others but if I post it here I am more likely to see it and remember it. Yes I check this thread THAT much :D

This is what I have learned about on ball defense against people online who just repeatedly drive to the basket over and over again. Please feel free to add/critique as you wish.

1) Force the driver toward your teammates/help - The driver is always going to look for a clear path to the basket. So he is naturally going to try to drive to a location where there won't be any help. You should be asking yourself "Where is my help?" when you opponent catches a pass. Try to force him toward your teammates, especially your big men.
2) Draw charges - If you stop/cut off the driver you will enter a contact animation. If you press the Circle button on he PS3 you will attempt to take a charge. This will work well against those people that just refuse to give up on drives. WARNING: You will get called for a block if they stop their drive, and the restart. I need to narrow down when to exactly press the button, but it does work. Great for those "Lebron to the basket by any means necessary" players.
3) Force jumpers first - Many low level players want to drive all the time, every time. Play off of them. Give them the jumper and see if they take it. I will give someone multiple jumpers before I close out on them. They have to prove they will take & make them before I will risk coming out on them.
4) Experiment with the camera - For me personally I play better D with Broadcast. Might or might not work for you, but at least test it out.
5) Guessing isn't that hard really - The general rule is pretty simple. An offense wants space to work. The defense wants to constrict and condense the offense so the defense doesn't have to guard the entire court. This somewhat goes hand in hand with #1 on the list. The offensive player is almost always going to try to move toward open space. You should deny that. That general rule will stop a large majority of drives alone. As the game develops you will get a read on how and where he likes to drive and then you REALLY start shutting them down, because even when they are trying to be clever you will 'feel' it before they try it and shut that down as well. It's a great feeling when you are stoning them on that level.
6) Defensive matchups - You should always try to get your best defender on their star player. Don't be afraid to experiment with matchups. I put John Wall on Kobe to stop the drive. I knew the Lakers player wasn't going to post up Kobe. If he had, it would have been a huge mismatch. But I am going to make him exploit the mismatch before I change it. Most low level players never do. Advantage you.
6) Don't be afraid to call for a double team - Against low level players their only intent is to drive for a dunk, passing is way down on the priority list. Once they get near the paint, I will sometimes call for double team. This will normally stone their drive. That will force them to *gasp* pass the ball. This is a last resort of course. You will leave an offensive player wide open.
7) L2 and the Right Stick is the Commando Pro of NBA 2k11 - If they start to beat you to a specific side hold down L2 and press that direction on the right stick. This will perform a cut off move, seems more like a commando pro teleport than anything, this will allow you to recover when you have been slightly beaten early on in the drive.
8) "Deny Ball" - This isn't a 100% related to stopping the drive, but in general you want to set the defensive pressure to "Deny Ball" on their star player. This setting means that the defender will not leave the star player to help teammates on defense. This will make it harder for their star player to get it going.

Just thought I would get this down in a post so I could reference it later :D

Nice, informative post. And 2k cam for life...there is no other way.

Smokey

RJNavarrete said:
Smokey smells a comeback so he breaks Tony Parker's wrist on a drive. SMFH. :'[ lol

:lol that little slap sent that man out of the game.

ps : there was no comeback in the works! Notice whenever you got close AB, Martin, or Yao would step up and push the lead right back to 10+. You should've also known that the Rockets have a lot of guys with high defensive awareness so slingin it all over the court wasn't gonna work :D

good game, twas fun

Smokey said:
:lol that little slap sent that man out of the game.

ps : there was no comeback in the works! Notice whenever you got close AB, Martin, or Yao would step up and push the lead right back to 10+. You should've also known that the Rockets have a lot of guys with high defensive awareness so slingin it all over the court wasn't gonna work :D

good game, twas fun
I never play Spurs, so it was merely a team to counter to your size/pg ability. I didn't want to go with my Lakers, as I'm kind of bored of playing as them.

And yea, I confused some of my icons and would try to make a quick icon pass only to discover that George Hill was now X, not B, Gino was B, then X, then B again. :lol I should've been paying more attention, so as to actually give you a good game but I'll take it. It was my first game online with this year's iteration, and it felt pretty good. Had some shots rim out that looked and felt real good, but I guess that's just the way the ball bounces lol. Yao was beasting on Blair, goddamn.

EDIT: On a completely random note, has anyone listened to Drake - Over in this game? :lol :lol :lol :lol That bitch is so censored and edited... I wonder why they even bothered to put it in.

SlickVic

Wow, some of the games on My Player are tough. I had to replay a game @ ORL 10 times before I could barely get a win (blame my OCD for not wanting a loss). Stupid teammates not playing any D then whenever I got subbed out the Magic took a big lead. I'm on the Lakers too so it's not like it's just me and a bunch of scrubs. Seems the CPU was trying it's hardest to make sure I lost that one. :lol

charsace

Now 2k has released another roster update that has tweaked the game again. Seems like they put the passing inbetween what it was at launch and what it was when they messed it up. Off the ball movement has been improved too.

Omiee

in my player mode i asked to be traded to the miami heat and the lakers as second option just to see if it could work.
under the tab that shows you what team is interested in you, it shows me for 4 games now that the heat are interested in me, why am i not being traded than..?

Top Bottom