• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
DevelopmentArrested said:
god the computer is ruining me
any noob tips?

- Play on the right difficulty setting for your ability right now. Swallow your pride
- set your "run plays" slider to at least 70 and actually let plays happen.
- turn on the shot help indicator so you can see if you are releasing each players shot correctly.
- adjust cpu sliders down a bit for shooting, defensive awareness, rebounding, hands (especially hands - that determines how good the cpu is at getting a hand on passes for steals)

I have hands down as far as 30 right now. I'm making much smarter passes, but still there are moments when there is no freakin way that a human being could intercept or predict a pass like this game does.

ecnal

charsace said:
Hands seem to effect everything in 2k. Ball handling, passing, catching the ball, stealing, etc.

smokey, set it up; jazz vs magic round 1.

RDreamer

So I finally think I get the sliders so that I'm not curbstomping the opponent like I do on rookie, but I can hold my own on pro... and the game freezes near the end of the 3rd quarter of a great game... Nice move 2k. You win this round.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
charsace said:
Hands seem to effect everything in 2k. Ball handling, passing, catching the ball, stealing, etc.

I disagree. Even the description for hands is that it effects their ability to tip passes. I haven't touched handles at all and I've never had the other team do any stupid dribbling that has caused turnovers.

pilonv1

I like the Jordan challenges because they get to to learn the mechanics of the game. However it teaches you such bad habits.

My Player is really fun this year, the progress isn't that slow and I feel I can contribute enough at 50 OVR, but if I try to do too much I fail miserably.

Still not why I got a Jordan Billboard with an OVR of 49 and averaging 6ppg and 4rpg and 2. Maybe he thinks I'm Kwame 2.0.

tomedo

Gerald Preston said:
Thanks. The PC version is kinda flying under the radar and I was worried it might be broken in some way.

PC version has the old menu system which is kinda bad and the menu background videos stutter for me every 3 seconds or so which is distracting. Haven't found any solution for that yet. Other than that it seems ok so far.

benjipwns

Banned
It's also missing some shadowing or something, and the online benchmark is broken but they've acknowledged it's not working right on OS.

They're at least asking for PC specific problems and seem to have someone in charge of the PC version this year. Baby steps.

mbmonk

Anyone have some tips they don't mind sharing for how to play on ball defense online? It just seems like it's impossible to stay with someone for 20+ seconds w/o a mistake.

I want to play on ball defense but the CPU is sooooo much better at it. I haven't found anything that really helps with on ball D either. The only thing I have found is if they start the contact animation you can press the 'flop/charge' button and if they keep trying to drive they get a charge.... that's it.

EDIT: This game can be very frustrating at times with it's glitches. I tap the shoot button and instead of a pump fake he shoots it. Another time I press the pass button w/o pushing on the left stick.. and my PF doesn't pass to my PG standing next to him.. He decides to throw it into the post who is obviously being guarded... turnover. I feel like I have to use icon passing 100% of the time. Weird shitty glitches like that really ruin this game at times for me.

Am I the only one who can't score in the post? I am playing with the Wizards so maybe thats part of it because their big men or junk. Even though Clark Kellog keeps telling my my PF is one of the "premier" power forwards in the league... He is rated a whooping 68.. so I could see how Kellog could think he is a beast..

mbmonk

Also how to you gentleman handle zones? Seems like all the set plays are made for man to man. So when someone goes zone I just have to HOPE my guys spread the floor nicely? That doesn't seem logical. What am I missing?

RS4-

mbmonk said:
Also how to you gentleman handle zones? Seems like all the set plays are made for man to man. So when someone goes zone I just have to HOPE my guys spread the floor nicely? That doesn't seem logical. What am I missing?

Find plays that exploit the open areas, just sit in practice mode and figure it out.

If you're not passing with icons, aim with the left stick. And not being able to pump fake could have something to do with lag, it happens in previous 2k and Live games.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Truelize said:
- Play on the right difficulty setting for your ability right now. Swallow your pride- set your "run plays" slider to at least 70 and actually let plays happen.
- turn on the shot help indicator so you can see if you are releasing each players shot correctly.
- adjust cpu sliders down a bit for shooting, defensive awareness, rebounding, hands (especially hands - that determines how good the cpu is at getting a hand on passes for steals)

I have hands down as far as 30 right now. I'm making much smarter passes, but still there are moments when there is no freakin way that a human being could intercept or predict a pass like this game does.

This. I moved it to Casual/All Pro. That fit my playstyle much better. The Casual setting made subtle changes, so it isn't like playing NBA Street or anything. Also most of the time down the floor I call a play, not just play ball. I might not run the play perfectly, but I am getting people in different positions.

mbmonk

RS4- said:
Find plays that exploit the open areas, just sit in practice mode and figure it out.

I will try that thank you.

Anyone using the "Right Stick" passing mechanic? What is the great benefit to this passing method? I just don't see, on paper, why this is better than left stick passing. Maybe it's usefull for shot stick users.

anddo0

Truelize said:
- Play on the right difficulty setting for your ability right now. Swallow your pride
- set your "run plays" slider to at least 70 and actually let plays happen.

Great advice!

I've gone from playing on Superstar, all the way down to Pro/Sim with custom sliders.. NBA2k11 has the steepest learning curve ever for the franchise. I'm on pro and still struggle on offense (mostly due to the fact that players sometimes refuse to move without a play being called). I'm getting better with each game though. The passing game is night and day compared to other games in the franchise, that I've learned the hard way.

You definitely have to play at the right difficulty until you learn some things. I immediately cranked it up to superstar and was just getting my ass handed to me. All-Star is also challenging for me but I at least feel like I have chance there.

mbmonk

I posted this over at Operation Sports. I am going to repost it here because I believe at least one or two people here have played with the Washington Wizards.

My whole offensive gameplan with the Wizards is get Arenas the ball. If he is cold or just guarded well. I lose every time.

Just wondering what other Wizard's users are doing to really flesh out their offensive game?

PG Wall - Not a great 3 point shooter, and has problems finishing layups (misses or gets blocked). So you can't take him far outside and you can't take him all the way to the basket for layups. So I am assuming I have to become effecient in the 'mid range' game in order to really make him a scoring threat.

SG Arenas - I use him as a jump shot machine. He is a great shooter, but I haven't found other ways to get him buckets.

The players below are where I really start to struggle generating points..
SF Howard - I don't know what to do with this guy. Decent 3 point shooter, dunker, and post player but I can't get any point production out of him. He is just okay but not good at anything in particular.

PF Blatche - Supposedly good in the post but I can't score with him. The Wizards have a high post isolation play for him which seems weird because he seems slow. So it's hard to imagine him taking someone off the dribble. Normally he is matched up against a much better PF ( Bosh, Garnett, etc.). So generally I am going against a better player.

C Mcgee - Good at rebounding and altering shots, but I can't score a lick with him.

Any suggestions.

RS4-

Hitting jumpers opens up your game and the paint, forcing your opponent to play a little tighter to you which allows you to use isomotion, jab steps and pump fakes to get around them for closer shots to the hole or drive attempts.

Since most of their focus will be on Arenas, Howard and Wall, work on a post game with Blatche: draw the fouls and double teams then kick it out to someone for the jumper.

The AI will fall for pumpfakes depending on who is defending and whether or not your player is on some sort of streak.

Human players will too depending on habits, even if they just go for the hand up, sometimes that's enough time for you to get around them.

abuC

mbmonk said:
I posted this over at Operation Sports. I am going to repost it here because I believe at least one or two people here have played with the Washington Wizards.

I don't use the Wiz, but Blatche is a face-up PF more so than a post guy, try using him to take other guys off the dribble from 17 feet and in. Also, try using a lot of pick and roll between Wall and Blatche.

mbmonk

abuC said:
I don't use the Wiz, but Blatche is a face-up PF more so than a post guy, try using him to take other guys off the dribble from 17 feet and in. Also, try using a lot of pick and roll between Wall and Blatche.

Thanks. I watched some youtube highlights. Seems like he has a decent mid range game.

RS4- said:
Hitting jumpers opens up your game and the paint, forcing your opponent to play a little tighter to you which allows you to use isomotion, jab steps and pump fakes to get around them for closer shots to the hole or drive attempts.

Since most of their focus will be on Arenas, Howard and Wall, work on a post game with Blatche: draw the fouls and double teams then kick it out to someone for the jumper.

The AI will fall for pumpfakes depending on who is defending and whether or not your player is on some sort of streak.

Human players will too depending on habits, even if they just go for the hand up, sometimes that's enough time for you to get around them.

I really need to work my mid range game. That should open up the post as you mentioned.

Just a note I don't play much against the AI. It's just seems so boring after playing online :D

RS4-

Then you just need to create space for the jumpers and drives. Abuse your opponents weak players with switches and screens; run plays that free your shooters: having someone like Howard or Arenas run across the lines along offball screens that get them open shots or lanes.

edit - sometimes you can get away with completely ignoring McGee on the offensive end, but a touch here and there makes your opponent think instead of having them focus on your other players.

charsace

With Wall you have to hit people up with the midrange jumpers. Then when they start to play up tight on you you drive to the basket. Practice the shot branching because it is very important this year. Arenas is just a killer scorer from anywhere. Not as quick as he was in past 2k games, but he can still put up buckets. Good shooting off the dribble.

ecnal

abuC said:

unfortunately blatche's real life game didn't translate well to 2K11. he has a mediocre away from the basket game (his midrange is rated in the low 70s), and they didn't give him enough quickness to break down bigger PFs from the perimeter.

blatche is essentially a mediocre post player that can occasionally hit a 15 footer on a pick-n-pop. he has an 80 something rated block though, good post-d, and has good rebounding stats.

wall is god mode, and you can just freestyle with him to get to the rim like 9/10 times. one of his default plays (something dub) that sets a double screen up top is brutal for defenders. he has a better midrange game than his ratings suggest too. wall is good for 25+ a game in 2K11--you should start there and make your opponent stop wall first because it should be nearly impossible assuming you can use iso motion well.

wizzards are pretty simple: demolish your opponent with wall/arenas and continue to do so until you're stopped, which is highly unlikely. if they do somehow manage to stop that, you just create offense for other guys using wall/arenas.

mbmonk

Thank you very much RS4, Charsace, Ecal. I am going to work on being effective with Wall first. Then I will try to round out my game w/ Blatche or Howard.

I haven't tried Arenas off the dribble much. I just use the plays to get him open looks so I am going to have to test that out as well.

Ecal, Wall has two plays that have double screens on the wing, but the big man guarding the last screener either shows and cuts off Wall from going baseline, makes Wall widen his cut, or just bumps Wall and slows him down until the opposing PG recovers. In theory that means a cutter should be open, but the AI sometimes cuts.. sometimes it doesn't. It's really frustrating from that aspect.

If you don't mind me asking, how you run that play? What are you looking for or at as it develops? I hope I am not over stepping my bounds. Regardless thank you all for the help. I was ready to snap my 2k11 disc in half last night. Now I can't wait to get back and practice.

mbmonk

charsace said:
Practice the shot branching because it is very important this year

Shot Branching requires using the shot stick correct? I use it for lay up, but everything else I use the button.

I tried to use the shot stick instead of the button for jumpers during online play and it was a disaster. Offline I can use the shot stick for jumpers and everything but online I just struggle with it.

ecnal

maybe i'm thinking of the wrong play?

one of those double screens (i think it's the one assigned to B by default or circle on ps3) gives enough space that you can go between your 2 guys setting the screens.

you either get the defender to bite by choosing to go through one of the screens while you cut back and go between your guys, or you break down your defender and go between your guys.

either way works because it creates a scenario in which you should have a wide open lane to the basket (from about 17 feet in) where you can pull up for a wide open jumper, dunk/layup, or drive and kick to the corner if a help defender comes.

Ideally, what's the best way to control the game? It seems a bit cumbersome to have only shooting on the right stick, or maybe I just don't like the pass icon button.

I grabbed 2k11 on PC, and I'm having sound issues. Well, really the only issue is that everything sounds like crap. Like everything was recorded at 32000hz, just low quality sound. In 2k9 everything was fine, in 2k10 the menu music was fine, but the in-game commentary was VERY poor quality, in 2k11 that has improved a bit, but the menu music now just sounds terrible. I suppose it's possible they just compressed and lowered the sample rate of everything to fit it all on the game disc, but I was curious to know if anyone else has noticed or is it just me.

I HATE the addition of a pump fake to the shot stick. I've pump faked about 5 to 6 open layups and dunks now because I let the stick reset before the animation progressed. :/

Anarchistry

RJNavarrete said:
I HATE the addition of a pump fake to the shot stick. I've pump faked about 5 to 6 open layups and dunks now because I let the stick reset before the animation progressed. :/
...it's been on the shot stick for years

Is it just me or did passing get worse in 2k11? And no, I'm not referring to all the deflections. I mean when there's times where you have a guy wide open but the pass goes to a dude on the other side of the court. It's real frustrating.

I also find myself using icon passing a lot less than prior games. I used to only pass with icons. Now I find myself using it less because it doesn't turn off automatically after a couple of seconds. I hate having to press the button again just to deactivate it and then be able to shoot.

mbmonk

ecnal said:
maybe i'm thinking of the wrong play?

one of those double screens (i think it's the one assigned to B by default or circle on ps3) gives enough space that you can go between your 2 guys setting the screens.

you either get the defender to bite by choosing to go through one of the screens while you cut back and go between your guys, or you break down your defender and go between your guys.

either way works because it creates a scenario in which you should have a wide open lane to the basket (from about 17 feet in) where you can pull up for a wide open jumper, dunk/layup, or drive and kick to the corner if a help defender comes.

I think you are correct. Both the "X" and "O" on the PS3 are plays with double screens. It's hard for me to remember the difference. I NEVER thought about going between the screens. I always just went over both of them. I practiced the play multiple times but couldn't get it to really work for me so I gave up and started using the 41Roll ( maybe it's called 14 Roll) basically Blatche sets a high screen and then rolls. The better aspect of the play is that the side where Wall and Blatche are doing the pick and roll is cleared out. So it's like and Iso pick and roll to a degree.

I am going to test out that double screen play again when I get a chance.

Thanks again.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
mbmonk said:
Shot Branching requires using the shot stick correct? I use it for lay up, but everything else I use buttons for.

I tried to use the shot stick instead of the button for jumpers during online play and it was a disaster. Offline I can use the shot stick for jumpers and everything but online I just struggle with it.

Shot stick is where all your offensive moves are. If you haven't figured out all the different mid-range shot animations you get from the right stick you are missing a ton of the offensive skillset.

depward

Is anyone else just waiting and waiting and waiting when in the crew mode for anyone to match-up against? This is the 360 version. Waited and tried for about 10 minutes around 7:30 and seemingly couldn't get matched-up with another team...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
viakado said:
now that ps3 gaf crew has 9 players, we should definitely try to get a crew game in.
Crew mode is definitely the funnest aspect of nba 2k.
point guard of the forever, bitches.
24 assists, never forget!

I actually may pick up the PS3 version soon. This will be my first NBA game since 2K8.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I just played my first online game on 360, and there wasn't really any lag, except for the delay due to it being an online match. Nonetheless, I won't be playing online anymore simply because you have to adjust your shot timing to reflect the latency issues. This will completely ruin my timing on shots in my association mode. They really need to implement player shot% into the online mode.

mbmonk

SephCast said:
They really need to implement player shot% into the online mode.

I saw this argument come up about the GAF league and wouldn't this give the top tier teams even more of an advantage? If the user aspect is taken out of the equation then it just boils down to rating and shot selection would it not? Then it makes it that much harder for the toilet bowl teams to compete with the elite... maybe? I, of course, could be completely wrong :D

EDIT: Sign me up for the GAF crew please. PSN is same as my GAF. :D

Top Bottom