• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 PS3 League | Season 1 | Real Money. Real Talk

rinse82

Aren't unused teams players thrown into the pool? i.e. Atlanta Hawks, so Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Al Horford, JCrawford are all FA's?

rinse82 said:
Aren't unused teams players thrown into the pool? i.e. Atlanta Hawks, so Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Al Horford, JCrawford are all FA's?
yup, this is gonna be an issue. :lol
we'll make a ruling accordingly.

Jazz
Rockets
hornets

edit:
gg dmncn2k. crazy double OT game.
i'll be available tomorrow. just pm/aim me.

rinse82 said:
for some reason when i go to the propose trade section on the league page, the box for my team is empty (no players)
sometimes it takes a few seconds for your team to load. that or just refresh. it will show up.

Played my game with the Heat last night, I was the Pacers. I got the NBA2k kiss of death right as the game started, missing every single shot, inside, outside, everywhere. I shot 35% for the game, the Heat didn't miss a freaking shot.

Have fun with that team, especially from 3 point range, they were lethal.

However, I was too worried about the whole 50% in the paint thing, so I tried to shoot a bunch of outside shots so I could start driving later. I coudn't hit anything. Started getting some inside shots going, then STILL couldn't hit outside shots.

But since there was the whole cant hit more than 52% of your points in the paint, I had to keep shooting from outside, even down 20, to try and keep my stats even. I really hate that rule, and I know it is to stop spam dunking, however, when you cannot hit shit from outside, but you hit stuff inside, you have to keep shooting from outside cause you have to balance your scoring.

The Pacers were brutal from the floor, which was shocking cause they shot lights out against the Warriors in my game from the league that got rebooted. That is why I said I got the Kiss of Death when the game started, I knew early on I wasn't going to be able to hit anything. When Mike Dunleavy and his 60 rating are carrying your team, you know it is a bad night.

If everyone is going to have loaded teams through free agency, then whats the problem? Seems everyone will be on the same level, team talent wise.

rinse82

3rdamention said:
Played my game with the Heat last night, I was the Pacers. I got the NBA2k kiss of death right as the game started, missing every single shot, inside, outside, everywhere. I shot 35% for the game, the Heat didn't miss a freaking shot.

Have fun with that team, especially from 3 point range, they were lethal.

However, I was too worried about the whole 50% in the paint thing, so I tried to shoot a bunch of outside shots so I could start driving later. I coudn't hit anything. Started getting some inside shots going, then STILL couldn't hit outside shots.

But since there was the whole cant hit more than 52% of your points in the paint, I had to keep shooting from outside, even down 20, to try and keep my stats even. I really hate that rule, and I know it is to stop spam dunking, however, when you cannot hit shit from outside, but you hit stuff inside, you have to keep shooting from outside cause you have to balance your scoring.

The Pacers were brutal from the floor, which was shocking cause they shot lights out against the Warriors in my game from the league that got rebooted. That is why I said I got the Kiss of Death when the game started, I knew early on I wasn't going to be able to hit anything. When Mike Dunleavy and his 60 rating are carrying your team, you know it is a bad night.

Your guys starting hitting their shots late in the game, but by then it was too late. Mike Miller is going to make a living standing in the corner draining open 3's

Big Baybee said:
If everyone is going to have loaded teams through free agency, then whats the problem? Seems everyone will be on the same level, team talent wise.

Yeah, but then where's the fun in that? Every team being an all-star team doesn't sound too appealing. That's just me though...

Purexed

Banned
pistolpete2940 said:
Yeah, but then where's the fun in that? Every team being an all-star team doesn't sound too appealing. That's just me though...

I'm with you on this one pistolpete. If FA madness ensues everyone will have a team that vaguely resembles its real life equivalent, almost akin to a fantasy draft. No bueno.

SamuraiX-

So viak. It says borghe is supposed to be controlling the Bulls, but I just see "no user" for that team. Whats up? Filth_Flannigan was online last night, but ignored my request to play our game. And Kursk played one game, but hasn't been on since Thursday, I guess.

Indiana Pacers
Portland Trailblazers
Chicago Bulls

Let's go people. :(

rinse82

Good game johnnypark. I really had no answer for Mayo and Gay coming off those screens, Gasol and Randolph set good picks. We were pretty much neck and neck from the 2nd Q on, just got off to a horrible start where I couldn't buy a bucket. Had a little bit more success when I started cheating with my point guard to anticipate those passes off the screens.

Also, Grizzlies are kings of making impossible shots.

rinse82 said:
Good game johnnypark. I really had no answer for Mayo and Gay coming off those screens, Gasol and Randolph set good picks. We were pretty much neck and neck from the 2nd Q on, just got off to a horrible start where I couldn't buy a bucket. Had a little bit more success when I started cheating with my point guard to anticipate those passes off the screens.

Thanks. The one good thing of having Mayo, Gay, and Randolph is if one of them is off the other two can pick up the slack. Every time I thought I was going to pull away from you lebron would start getting you back in it.
Good game. I can't wait till we play again.

DiddyBop

rinse82 said:

Yea mayo and gay coming off those screens killed me when I played em. Either jhonny has their releases adjusted perfectly for lag or they have a combination of attributes that make em more deadly than even ray off the screens :lol

SamuraiX- said:
To be honest, johnny abused the shit out of those plays way too much.
Take a look at their playbook. It's not like I'm running the same play over and over again. They have plays that start out the same but are for different players. I guess I could not run plays and just go with the flow.

SamuraiX-

johnny_park said:
Take a look at their playbook. It's not like I'm running the same play over and over again. They have plays that start out the same but are for different players. I guess I could not run plays and just go with the flow.

That's not what I mean.

I just feel like you were abusing the 13 cross 2 & 23 Cross with Rudy Gay way too much when we played. I don't remember you running plays for PG, PF, or C, mostly only for Mayo and Gay.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

SamuraiX- said:
That's not what I mean.

I just feel like you were abusing the 13 cross 2 & 23 Cross with Rudy Gay way too much when we played. I don't remember you running plays for PG, PF, or C, mostly only for Mayo and Gay.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Most of the plays I run are for Gay and Mayo. They are my two best players. I do run a few plays for Randolph one that involves Gay that looks like one of Gay's plays but I dump it to Randolph in the post but if Gay comes off the screen and the D isn't with him I'm going to shoot the jumper. There is two plays I run for the pg that involves a pick and roll with Gasol. I don't run anything for Gasol. He gets his points from put backs or off the pick and roll with the pg. As for my bench I only run plays for Xavier Henry. When he's on he won't miss a shot. Everyone else gets there points from either being left open or in transition before the D has time to set up.

Purexed said:
I have Dallas (No user) and the Jazz to play to end my week. When you you roll tomorrow, Utah?
as for dallas, dada_5 said he will rejoin our league. i got that message yesterday.
as or the time being, any team that has dallas, hold off til he signs in, otherwise, i'll auto assign wins against dallas when we move onto week 2 next friday.
anyone seen borghe?

rinse82

I think the next time I'm going to have to anticipate the play and switch to my defender whose guy is setting the pick, and get him to hedge to cut off the passing lane.

Even elite defenders in Wade and Bron get caught in the screen, so besides using my point guard to jump in the passing lane (and risk giving Conley an open 3), hedging the post defender might be the only way.

Yeah johnny utilized those plays very often, and it was a bit frustrating at first. But you start to notice the play developing after a few times and isn't too hard to stop. We were dead-even after the 1st quarter when I adjusted. You can't hate on a guy for going with what works, and if you can't stop it, why wouldn't he keep going to those plays?

rinse82

Games I have left:

Blazers (kursk)
Orlando (thauoftkidd)

Let me know when you guys can play, today (before UFC) and tomorrow are good

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I got killed with Crosses early on. I thought it was almost borderline cheese with the way guys hit open shots in 2k11. But i made some defensive adjustments and started watching the plays develop more and found them much easier to defend

rinse82

2K needs to patch in the player highlight for online.

It's really hard to tell whether or not the other guy is playing on-ball D or not.

SamuraiX-

rinse82 said:
2K needs to patch in the player highlight for online.

It's really hard to tell whether or not the other guy is playing on-ball D or not.

It's pretty easy to tell when you try to do a cross and your defender teleports and cuts you off before you can move an inch. That definitely isn't on-ball D.

Smokey

SamuraiX- said:
It's pretty easy to tell when you try to do a cross and your defender teleports and cuts you off before you can move an inch. That definitely isn't on-ball D.

not necessarily true. i think i'm pretty good with on ball d and anticipating where somebody is going to move and I can usually cut it the man off by guessing where he is going to go ahead of time.

rinse82

SamuraiX- said:

Yeah there was one instance where I iso'd LeBron at the top of the key and Gay was right up on him, and then Gasol was called for Defensive 3-seconds which made me a bit skeptical. But he could've been playing legit on-ball, and since 2K decided to do it this way, there will always be doubt.

rinse82

Smokey said:
not necessarily true. i think i'm pretty good with on ball d and anticipating where somebody is going to move and I can usually cut it the man off by guessing where he is going to go ahead of time.

Yeah, you're on ball D is really solid.

SamuraiX-

Smokey said:

It's not the same though. I can do the same thing you're talking about. But I'm talking about when you're 5 feet behind the 3-point and you try to move left or right and your movements are anticipated perfectly. There's a definitely a slight lag when a real player is guarding you. He follows you in more of a random pattern rather than an obviously scripted one.

rinse82 said:
Yeah there was one instance where I iso'd LeBron at the top of the key and Gay was right up on him, and then Gasol was called for Defensive 3-seconds which made me a bit skeptical. But he could've been playing legit on-ball, and since 2K decided to do it this way, there will always be doubt.

There can be instances where the CPU expects a pass in the post and doesn't get it and if it expected LeBron to pull up for a shot, they might not have moved from the paint.

Feels like there are more cases where the CPU makes mistakes like that in 2k11.

rinse82 said:
Your guys starting hitting their shots late in the game, but by then it was too late. Mike Miller is going to make a living standing in the corner draining open 3's

Yeah, he is a great player for the Heat in this game. And I had no idea Bosh had such a lethal jumper. He killed me on the boards. I knew that game would be tough, but I was hoping my team would hit shots. They let me down! Good thing is, the league goes on and I am ready for my next game, lol.

I look forward to the Heat and Lakers matching up to see what happens.

I can play tonight no problem. If anyone has to play the Pacers, let me know. I know that I spoke with Samurai and will play him tonight.

I hope I can hit some shots.

Also, if the rule is that we should play on the ball or the next closest defender to the ball, then what does it matter if someone is on the ball or not?

They could easily guard the screener or a guard on the wing and still be playing within the rules, right? That rule is going to cause some problems down the stretch, just watch. Since you cannot tell if someone is for sure playing on the ball, people will accuse others they weren't playing on the ball, some will get offended. I can see this being a drama causer in the future.

It is going to be next to impossible to tell if someone is playing on the ball, unless they are running around like crazy. I just think it is something that everyone is going to have to stop worrying about right now and just play ball.

SamuraiX-

Hey, 3rd. What time tonight are we looking at? I live on the west coast.

And I think the main problem people have with the on-ball D is when somebody is trying to go isolation play or in the post and the defender reacts much more perfectly to their actions as opposed to if a human player was guarding him.

SamuraiX- said:
And I think the main problem people have with the on-ball D is when somebody is trying to go isolation play or in the post and the defender reacts much more perfectly to their actions as opposed to if a human player was guarding him.
guys, to limit your player from sliding all over the place is to slide defensive assist all the way to zero. i think its in the coaching settings.

If you're the defending in the post and the offense make a move sometimes the cpu will stick like glue to the guy for you.

Does that make sense?

SamuraiX- said:
Hey, 3rd. What time tonight are we looking at? I live on the west coast.

I am in Indianapolis, so I am ET. How about 9 or 10 PM Eastern/6 to 7 pm PT?

Otherwise, we can play later than that. I am a 34 year old married father of 2 so I normally cannot play until the evenings when the kiddos are in bed. However, I play the PS3 every evening. I didn't see your request last night for a game. I was playing my league game, then fell asleep playing Fallout New Vegas. New Vegas is great but I fell asleep while manually saving, :lol

As for the FREE AGENT SIGNINGS. We could either simply outlaw any Free Agent Signings, or we could limit each team to 1ONE free agent signing that is like a 70 Overall or less. I just made up the 70 number so we could make it even smaller than that, but we could start with the worst overall team based on the NBA2k12's ratings, and they would get the first Free Agent, then go all the way up to the best, meaning the Lakers would get the last pick.

I dont know, I really dont care either way. However, if we were allowed to sign a Free Agent, that may give some teams more to work with in regards to trades further down the road.

DiddyBop

At times it's hard to tell if the CPU or the player is guarding you bit on iso play it is easier to tell. And thanks for defensive sliding advice viak. Will try it out today

SamuraiX-

Jeez. I finally got my first win. What an UGLY game though.

I played Kursk (Trailblazers) and I could tell he was getting really frustrated. He was getting some nice open shots and they just weren't falling. Definitely not his, nor my day. I was just taking stupid shots. And missing some wide open ones. I was lucky to pull out a win.

Hang in there, Kursk. I've been through that exact same frustration through my first two games, even with this one. This game can be merciless.

3rdamention said:
I am in Indianapolis, so I am ET. How about 9 or 10 PM Eastern/6 to 7 pm PT?

Sounds good. I'll check back with you at 6pm my time.

Purexed

Banned
Dmncnby2k9 said:
wen is it good for u bro? Im doing sum work now but im willing to take a break n play our gm
I'm at UFC 121 at the Honda Center through tonight. I'll be available for most of tomorrow though.

3rdamention said:
As for the FREE AGENT SIGNINGS. We could either simply outlaw any Free Agent Signings, or we could limit each team to 1ONE free agent signing that is like a 70 Overall or less. I just made up the 70 number so we could make it even smaller than that, but we could start with the worst overall team based on the NBA2k12's ratings, and they would get the first Free Agent, then go all the way up to the best, meaning the Lakers would get the last pick.

I dont know, I really dont care either way. However, if we were allowed to sign a Free Agent, that may give some teams more to work with in regards to trades further down the road.
im open to having an open discussion about free agents. if we can find a simple yet effective method on free agent acquisition, i'll be willing to consider it. But at this moment, from what purexed and diddy have said, its easier and cleaner to cut off FAs all together.

here's a thought though, as im just thinking out loud, maybe only have free agent acquisitions from the official nba.com FA tracker list.

-----------------------------------------------------------
ps - we got our 18th man, gents.

[15:29] dboythagr8: lemme in on ps3 lg
[15:33] dboythagr8: I kno u hear me homo. imma rent one on ps3
[15:51] viakado: Lolol
[15:51] viakado: Ok. U get the mavs
[15:51] viakado: Paypal?
[15:55] dboythagr8: no paypal
[16:08] viakado: i'll send out invite shortly

RDreamer

I think we should be able to take one free agent each, probably picking with the order you originally thought (worst record first on the 3rd week). It's just one free agent so our teams are mostly the same, but it does make things a bit more interesting.

rinse82

viakado said:
im open to having an open discussion about free agents. if we can find a simple yet effective method on free agent acquisition, i'll be willing to consider it. But at this moment, from what purexed and diddy have said, its easier and cleaner to cut off FAs all together.

here's a thought though, as im just thinking out loud, maybe only have free agent acquisitions from the official nba.com FA tracker list.

-----------------------------------------------------------
ps - we got our 18th man, gents.

Or we can restrict free agents to the guys that are in the "Free Agent" section on the league page. They split them between the regular FA's, and the guys available on the unused teams.

Top Bottom