• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K13 |OT| Because Live is Dead

i think some of the animations are off.

the initial jumpshot animation i had for myplayer was similar to what you're describing -- i had to hold the shot till way after the peak of the jump.

ended up switching to a diff animation though, and everything is fine now.

Which animation works better for you? I'm having the same trouble and never had issues with shot release before.

How does the online play hold up this year? Is it laggy as hell like the last couple of years? Or is it manageable. I'm thinking about upping my Xbox Gold account, but not sure if it's worth it if this game is a laggy mess.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
How does the online play hold up this year? Is it laggy as hell like the last couple of years? Or is it manageable. I'm thinking about upping my Xbox Gold account, but not sure if it's worth it if this game is a laggy mess.

Honesty in 5 ranked games and like 10 unranked games I have played, it's been the best experience when it comes to lack of lag. I'm not sure how it's been for others, but major lag so far hasn't been an issue at least for myself.

Honesty in 5 ranked games and like 10 unranked games I have played, it's been the best experience when it comes to lack of lag. I'm not sure how it's been for others, but major lag so far hasn't been an issue at least for myself.

Sounds good. Anyone else? Also I read that you can get a lot of VC playing online. Is this true, because that alone will make me get a 12 month gold card. Getting VC is slow as hell, or maybe I just suck at the game.

charsace

i think some of the animations are off.

the initial jumpshot animation i had for myplayer was similar to what you're describing -- i had to hold the shot till way after the peak of the jump.

ended up switching to a diff animation though, and everything is fine now.

They all have release points later than they should. They probably did it to limit quick pull ups catching people that want to just hang off on a player all game. In 2k11 you could punish people badly that just wanted to play off of the top dribblers. Then people started complaining so since then they've been balancing the mid range game to where its harder than it should be to pull up off the dribble.

Fjordson

Sounds good. Anyone else? Also I read that you can get a lot of VC playing online. Is this true, because that alone will make me get a 12 month gold card. Getting VC is slow as hell, or maybe I just suck at the game.
Yeah, playing any form of online gives you a big VC boost.

It's definitely not you sucking, the VC system is just stingy with how it rewards you points. It's gotten a little better now that I'm getting more playtime in MyCareer, but I still don't like the system overall. Really feels like 2K wants you to spend some Microsoft points to get anywhere. Was thinking of changing the sleeve on my guy, figured I could switch types. Nope. 3,000 more VC for a different design. Lame.

As for online performance, I haven't done 1 on 1 or blacktop or anything, but it's been super smooth playing team match up. And that's with like 8+ players always in every match.

Yeah, playing any form of online gives you a big VC boost.

It's definitely not you sucking, the VC system is just stingy with how it rewards you points. It's gotten a little better now that I'm getting more playtime in MyCareer, but I still don't like the system overall. Really feels like 2K wants you to spend some Microsoft points to get anywhere. Was thinking of changing the sleeve on my guy, figured I could switch types. Nope. 3,000 more VC for a different design. Lame.

As for online performance, I haven't done 1 on 1 or blacktop or anything, but it's been super smooth playing team match up. And that's with like 8+ players always in every match.

Card purchased. Aren't I easily influenced? lol. Oh well, I eventually needed to re up my sub anyway.

Omega

Banned

1 on 1 is great

team up? lol

there's times where it's smooth, and then there's time where you can't even move.

Riggs

Banned
Really want to play this but single player is so cheezed, and online sucks so bad I am hearing (As usual). So other then My Player and Association there really is no point I guess.

mbmonk

Updated the bottom of the OP with a section called "Path to improvement for new players". I added one resource that has helped me improve.

If anyone else has resource that might fit in that section, please post it here or pm it to me.

Smokey

Really want to play this but single player is so cheezed, and online sucks so bad I am hearing (As usual). So other then My Player and Association there really is no point I guess.

The online quality is better than it has ever been. I'm 29-6 in quick matches and not once have I been disconnected. This is a bigger deal than it sounds. Took a look at the overall leaderboards yesterday. Amazes me that people have already played 170+ online matches.

Then again I work full time...and even with my 35 games I fill like that's quite a bit in a week.

The online quality is better than it has ever been. I'm 29-6 in quick matches and not once have I been disconnected. This is a bigger deal than it sounds.

I think I'm 4-4 using the Wizards pretty much exclusively. Most losses come from going up against overpowered teams.

I relented last night and said fuck it and used the Heat when someone chose the Lakers. Blew them out and he rage quit. Heat are pretty damn good. Not even offensively so much as on the defensive side. Barely have to play D because the AI is just stealing balls left and right.

I'm about to go to the darkside and just start choosing teams based on who my opponent chooses :O/

Can anyone with the PC version chime in on this? Is the core game still worth getting on PC over consoles?

http://www.operationsports.com/news/583977/nba-2k13-lacks-many-features-for-pc-users/

Just before the release of NBA 2K13, PC users found out the game would only be available on retail disc on release date. Users that want to download the game have to wait until October 16th.

Back in late May, NBA 2K13 PC users found out they were being snubbed from the All-Star Weekend content.

As many NBA 2K13 PC gamers have noticed, these aren't the only things missing from the game. NLSC has posted a list of features missing from the PC version. While the mods are sure to be great, missing the bulk of features found on the console versions, has to be a downer for PC gamers. Below are some of the other missing modes and features for the PC version of NBA 2K13.

Game Modes
MyTEAM
Preorder All Star Weekend (dunk contest, 3pt contest)
Game Features
MyCloset for MyPLAYER
VC Currency System (the game uses the console’s “offline” skill point system for MyCAREER)
Unlockable Blacktop Stars (on consoles they can be purchased with VC; not in PC version)
Playing Against Specific Opponents (including friends)
3-on-3 Blacktop with MyPLAYERs
Graphics
Self-Shadowing on Players
Advanced Stadium Lighting (colored lights in crowd)
Source - NBA 2K13 PC Differences from Console Versions

LuchaShaq

Banned
I really wish my player would adjust the hall of fame milestones/career milestones if you set it to smaller quarters. 30-30 isn't really possible in a 5 min Q game.

bakeray

if anyone has an extra 360 All-Star code or is looking to get rid of one/theirs for a reasonable price please let me know.

The defensive AI around the rim is a little cheesy. But they did what they had to do.

If a guy really wants to fuck his way to score an inside bucket he's going to do it, you just have to hope he has some amount of shame and not overly abuse it. If I want to abuse my two man PF/C game using off ball total control then I don't care if you have two Dwight Howards down low, you aint stoppin me from scoring.

Luckily 1% of the 2k population uses an inside game minus cheese PG drives.

MattDoza

Can anyone with the PC version chime in on this? Is the core game still worth getting on PC over consoles?

MyCloset for MyPLAYER
VC Currency System (the game uses the console’s “offline” skill point system for MyCAREER)

I can tell you the PC version is better without Virtual Coins. And the MODCloset is probably better than MyCloset.

The games is $30, right? Do they do this intentionally? Knowing it's not a fully featured release.

mbmonk

I can tell you the PC version is better without Virtual Coins. And the MODCloset is probably better than MyCloset.

The games is $30, right? Do they do this intentionally? Knowing it's not a fully featured release.

I am probably going to double dip on the PC version in a couple of months. 1080P is "so fresh and so clean"....

who has played the pc version?
im assuming online is junk again.

got this from the 2k forum.
The NBA 2K13 PC version is awesome but heres the errors that I get:
*Everytime when i open the game i need to sign in or register.
*I can't play online i get You must be sign in to access this feature.
*The replays are not working it skips automatically.
I want to play online how do i fix this? and when I play NBA Black top i can't choose players like Kevin Durant,Kobe,Lebron etc

welp, that's that.
let's hope for next year, brosefs.

rvy

Banned
Is there a way to turn off the 2k13 logo during gameplay? Along with scoreboards and such? That's hell for a plasma display.

welp, that's that.

I'd reserve judgement until it hits Steam, as I suspect very few people have legitimate copies at this point which would explain the trouble of going online and using an account.

Messi

What do you need help with understanding? I feel the same way about soccer.

I completely lack a basic knowledge in basketball which makes this game more fun. In the same way that knowing who big players are in soccer and knowing their traits helps fifa be much more enjoyable. I have found in the demo atleast if I get the ball to Lebron/Wade then something good might happen. But when I am doing anything other than a basic shot I have no idea what the hell I am doing.

Ferny

Smokey I was just messing with this online asso. stuff and it looks like it still has the Slow, Medium, Fast advancing stuff :/

Ok so they have it even better now. You can adjust the league speed as well as pause the league. You can also unlock all games if you wanted to. You can also change the sliders. You can also admin the schedule and replay games if needed. THANK YOU BASED 2k!

Cheddahz

Banned
Is it true they changed the control scheme for this year's edition? If so, is there anyway you can change it back to the old scheme (shotstick)?

mbmonk

NBA 2k12 had similar issues on the PC. I had to create an account at least once a week. 2k wasn't checking the CD keys, so I would just put in gibberish. Basically I would enter in as little as possible since 2k wasn't saving it or checking it anyways.

Once I did that I was able to play online for the PC with relatively little problems. I used the Steam web browser to occupy my time while the game searched for an opponent, but honestly it normally didn't take that long.

I can't speak about 2k13 PC unfortunately. But hopefully it will be functional or at least have workarounds like 2k12.

EDIT: I bought the Steam version of 2k12 a couple of months after release.

MattDoza

Wow, well that sucks. It feels weird to shoot with the X button in the demo, I miss the old shot stick so much

Hold LT....that converts the right stick to the shot stick.

It's still function when used as ThirtyPlus said. LT is the modifier. OR, in the full version, you can flip it so that the shot stick is always just a flick of the thumbstick, and Isomotion requires you to hold the modifier(LT).

I hope that made sense.

benjipwns

Banned

welp, that's that.
PC version is fine this year, outside of the stupid matchmaking.

The guy is using a pirate copy because otherwise you just make an account with your cd key.

Smokey

I completely lack a basic knowledge in basketball which makes this game more fun. In the same way that knowing who big players are in soccer and knowing their traits helps fifa be much more enjoyable. I have found in the demo atleast if I get the ball to Lebron/Wade then something good might happen. But when I am doing anything other than a basic shot I have no idea what the hell I am doing.

Ah. That naturally comes with just watching basketball over a period of time. Like anything else you'll start to pick it up. I would suggest doing the training mode. The CPU shows you how to do the moves and then askes you to do them. At the end of the drills you go one on one with the CPU using the moves you just learned.

Smokey I was just messing with this online asso. stuff and it looks like it still has the Slow, Medium, Fast advancing stuff :/

Ok so they have it even better now. You can adjust the league speed as well as pause the league. You can also unlock all games if you wanted to. You can also change the sliders. You can also admin the schedule and replay games if needed. THANK YOU BASED 2k!

Yep. The big addition is being able to now pause the league. I will create it later tonight and start sending out invites to those on the list that I have.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Used 1500 coins to get a gold booster for my team. Got a bunch of trash.

Should have just used them on "my player" or continued to save up for a star.

Bah!

Ferny

Yep. The big addition is being able to now pause the league. I will create it later tonight and start sending out invites to those on the list that I have.
Are you gonna be making a thread Smokey?
We should get our teams lined up before invites get sent out.

is it just me or did the game become easier ?

Sort of.

You can actually blow teams out this year.

Last year it seemed like the CPU would just hit magic shots to keep up or go on crazy runs while you missed open layups.

The only thing like that this year is the crazy offense rebounds (which with sliders and boxing out no matter where you are (this leads to your teammates doing the same) is fixable).

The only thing like that this year is the crazy offense rebounds (which with sliders and boxing out no matter where you are (this leads to your teammates doing the same) is fixable).

Yeah, they seem to really reward blocking out. That's something I've always done and it has led to good things this year (whether it's improved team rebounding or some realistic over the back and off-ball fouls).

Top Bottom