• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

Another superstar going to the Spurs is the only thing that could possibly make anything interesting.

Every team besides them and the Cavs/Warriors is completely irrelevant.

Wizards are a couple decent players away from being a finals team imo. Wall just needs some more help.

Jarmel

Banned
JR Smith averaged 9 points a game on 35% shooting. TT averaged 8pts with no range.

They're not playing the Celtics anymore.

Yep.

They're really running CLE off the 3 point line. Very aggressive in that. Very rarely have we had good 3 point looks. And when we do get them in rare occasions, we don't seem to be hitting very many of them.

TT is struggling against taller, lankier players. Not having a true center (Bogut) is hurting.
People make a big deal about Durant scoring but he's made them a much better team defensively.

Draymond and Klay also got better at defense compared to last year.

Everybody on the Cavs, other than Lebron, is underperforming. It's not a coincidence.

ISOM

VJzg1G1.jpg

LeGM

The team won't have any cap room after this season. If KD leaves, they're not replacing him with another top 10 player. Top 10 players also aren't really available regardless of cap space.

I never would have put money on KD joining this year knowing the upcoming negotiation of Stephs contract. I don't think you uproot your life for a single championship. That's why I really don't think either of them leaving (nor Green or Klay really) is likely. This group has goals beyond a single year.

TTG

Wonder what Westbrook is thinking seeing Durant evolve to his final form on another team.

For the record KD did the right thing by leaving Westbrook.

King of Oklohoma is polishing the pedestal his mvp trophy will go on, wondering if he can trademark "Mr. Triple Double." And that's why KD was right to leave.

I never would have put money on KD joining this year knowing the upcoming negotiation of Stephs contract. I don't think you uproot your life for a single championship. That's why I really don't think either of them leaving (nor Green or Klay really) is likely. This group has goals beyond a single year.

They're not leaving but the discussion was if one of them has to go. In this theoretical situation, if KD or Steph leave, they're not going to have the cap room to replace either guy with anything special.

gatti-man

I hope the cavs can make this a series. As a casual fan this has been the worst NBA season in a long time. The playoffs and general competition has been non existent. It's cavs and warriors the whole way. Not one decent series the entire playoffs either.

They're not leaving but the discussion was if one of them has to go. In this theoretical situation, if KD or Steph leave, they're not going to have the cap room to replace either guy with anything special.
I hear you, I just think it is not outlandish to entertain that people would take a pay cut to replace either of these guys. Especially if they swept.
(Fully admit I know nothing of NBA bylaws in this regard).

beat

The games are boring to watch regardless if it's an okay Nets team vs great teams or a superstar team going against an even better superstar team. Just because I get to watch players dunk and drain threes all game and play no defense doesn't make it anymore fun to watch than seeing Jason Kidd's Nets get destroyed.
What. The Warriors are playing really good defense. That's a huge part of why they're​ currently sitting on the record point differential for a playoffs.

Boogs31

No way the Cavs can play small and expect to keep the Warriors under 120. If I'm Cleveland, my adjustment is starting Shumpert in Smith's spot and have him guard Durant. Put LeBron back on Green and put all their defensive focus into slowing down Curry, Green and Thompson. Durant will go off on Shumpert but he's the Cavs second best option on him and you have to give up something. Thompson needs to make a bigger impact because they need to play him more so they have at least some rim protection most of the game.

I hope the cavs can make this a series. As a casual fan this has been the worst NBA season in a long time. The playoffs and general competition has been non existent. It's cavs and warriors the whole way. Not one decent series the entire playoffs either.

Memphis vs Spurs was a decent series.

Conley and Kawhi were fantastic.

I can't remember a year as bad as this. It has to be the worst ever

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I hear you, I just think it is not outlandish to entertain that people would take a pay cut to replace either of these guys. Especially if they swept.
(Fully admit I know nothing of NBA bylaws in this regard).

You can re-sign your own players if you're over the cap. They wouldn't be able to sign a top free agent as they'd be over the cap.

What a fucking fantastic game, major respect to the Cavs for playing solid defense at times on this one. At times. JR needs to be benched and maybe never come back, problem is Iman might even be worse. I don't envy Lue right now.

Also, hot taking here, but maybe the questions about Lebron's workload had some merit? Regardless of how hard he tried in the first half, there's 0 reason why he should be gassed like 2 minutes into the third quarter. Warriors just ran circles around them in the second half, it was madness.

TTG

What. The Warriors are playing really good defense. That's a huge part of why they're​ currently sitting on the record point differential for a playoffs.

Cavs did well defensively as well, those turn overs weren't Steph throwing the ball out of bounds behind his back, most weren't anyway.

I wonder if 2 games is enough time for Korver and Deron to settle down, I don't know what JR's been doing all year so who knows if he gets it together. Point being, the Cavs are gonna shoot well at some point. GSW haven't covered it exceptionally well, in fact they got a lot of open looks both games, the role players just haven't made them.

Fine, this is now my offseason thread.

https://streamable.com/oj6pc - Chris Mannix explaining to Cowherd why he's an idiot and why the C's should take Fultz.

Related to this, Fultz is meeting with the C's management and working out/undergoing a physical over Monday and Tueaday according to Woj.

Two Words

If you are going to hate on KD at least be more creative.

He has been the best player on the floor for the first 2 games of the finals. More dominant on offense than LeBron and probably the 2nd best defensive player after Draymond (maybe Klay can argue with that).

Riding the coattails means he is being carried when in reality he is the guy who took them to another level.
KD isn't doing anything we didn't think he could do on a team that was 73-9 last year.

Warriors fans, congratulations on having a dynasty-level team. I didn't want Lebron to go out with 3 rings but it is what it is. You built a nearly peerless team before KD and your organization deserves props and it will be fun to see how long the GSW dynasty lasts and what team (s) rises and starts to pick away at it in the coming seasons

Not getting swept when Wall is playing this good in his prime.

Just needs a bit more help otherwise they burn out with no help from bench. A few more decent players could easily compete with the Cavs.

You are talking about those decent players as if their front office is going conjure them up through magic.

If Warriors beat Cavs next 2 games at their home than I think a lot of ppl are going to be turned off watching the NBA.

What's even the point of the regular season next yr.

If anything regular season was the only worthy part of this year. It was the play-offs that mostly sucked ass.

ViciousDS

Banned
Basketball is fun?

When there is more than two competitive teams.

Every single series with a major player has had a stupid fucking injury.

Once Leonard went out, I stopped watching. Once I saw golden state blowout Cleveland while not even playing good.....I now only check scores on my phone. It's not worth watching

Which actually means the regular season is more fun than the playoffs lol

Real talk:

Let's say you're GSW, you've just won the 2017 finals, and for whatever reason you have to choose just one to keep:

Durant or Curry?

Curry.

He's been the better player in the playoffs as a whole and has been more valuable than KD for the Warriors throughout the season.

Steph on / KD off — 1,226 MIN, 120.1 ORTG / 103.8 DRTG, Net +16.3
KD on / Steph off — 579 MIN, 110 ORTG / 106.9 DRTG, Net +3.1
Steph on, KD / Draymond off — 229 MIN, 120.5 ORTG / 105.7 DRTG, Net +14.8
KD on, Steph / Draymond off — 453 MIN, 111.4 ORTG / 108.9 DRTG, Net +2.5

^This, along with a higher RAPM and a higher +/-.

Plus, the Warriors are Curry's team. GSW fans would throw a riot if Curry was let go for KD. KD may not even be the 3rd most loved player amongst Warriors fans, while Steph is an idol for almost everyone in the Bay Area.

Tom Penny

Cavs did well defensively as well, those turn overs weren't Steph throwing the ball out of bounds behind his back, most weren't anyway.

I wonder if 2 games is enough time for Korver and Deron to settle down, I don't know what JR's been doing all year so who knows if he gets it together. Point being, the Cavs are gonna shoot well at some point. GSW haven't covered it exceptionally well, in fact they got a lot of open looks both games, the role players just haven't made them.
Cavs haven't played good D.. They aren't used to playing a team with more than one offensive threat on the Pacers, Raptors when Lowry went down and none on the Celtics when IT went down...

teepo

Not getting swept when Wall is playing this good in his prime.

Just needs a bit more help otherwise they burn out with no help from bench. A few more decent players could easily compete with the Cavs.

the scary part about the wiz is that they had one of the best starting 5s with beal and porter being only 23 and 24 yrs old, respectively.

if beal and porter take that next leap and oubre and a few of the young bench pieces break out (looking at you sheldon mac and satoransky), they can compete. i don't have too much faith we can get anyone in the free agency with our gm but we do have an mle that should be used on a two way guard. the major problem with the bench was we had the worst replacement point guards in the whole damn entire league. letting sessions walk was a big mistake

but fuck it, these finals have been demoralizing.

Might as well go out guns blazing at the start of game 3
Every shoot should be 3's
Crowd will be hyped

But then again, Celtics came back from 21 down in Cleveland
Were up by 10+ in the 3rd quarter
Their roster is shit

I hope the Warriors don't play shook

Neonep

Cavs haven't played good D.. They aren't used to playing a team with more than one offensive threat on the Pacers, Raptors when Lowry went down and none on the Celtics when IT went down...

The Cavs had an easier road to the finals being the 2 seed. Bulls with Rondo & Wizards are better than the Pacers & Raptors.

kaiju

Warriors fans, congratulations on having a dynasty-level team. I didn't want Lebron to go out with 3 rings but it is what it is. You built a nearly peerless team before KD and your organization deserves props and it will be fun to see how long the GSW dynasty lasts and what team (s) rises and starts to pick away at it in the coming seasons

Still too early on dynasty-level talk. The team has been hot the last couple of years, and this 2017 team is the best we've seen, but they still have to close out the series and have a long way to go before anyone calls GSW a dynasty. If they would have closed it out last year they'd be closer to that talk, but we all know what happened, a 3-1 Finals choke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom