• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTG

Caught up with the box score after being away all day. Yeesh.

So if GSW never blew it last year, Durant goes elsewhere and this never happens right? We end up with Spurs vs the Durant-led Celtics in the Finals?

Klay going supernova at the end of game 6 against OKC had to happen as well. Otherwise they lose convincingly and Durant is looking at them like I don't know, plus he's in the finals.

Good riddance. Harrison couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

There were some good times. And he originally made the death line up possible along with Draymond, just don't ask him to guard Lebron.

So a few days ago people were saying how kyrie is better and curry ans now we're talking about trading him

People were legit crazy if they really thought that. This is a conversation that doesn't even start. Curry is the second or third (Kawhi) best player in the league.

Matticers

You have been watching the nba since the 80s and you think the league hasn't always been this way. Spurs Memphis was good spurs rockets were good and once again if Kawhi stays healthy who know what happens. Did you not see the great mvp race this year? Yes the playoffs have been bad but your also seeing what may be the best basketball team ever in the warriors. Once again what makes the nba great is all the talent across the league. Ad, Kat , Greek the freak, joel embid (if he can stay healthy) devin Booker, porzingis and those guys are all extremely young.I want to see what Ben Simmons can do. Then you add Westbrook, harden, john wall , Damian Lillard, Kawhi Leonard and that's not even counting the insane talent in the finals and lots of other talented players in the league. I mean do you remember when the Lakers swept all the way to the finals and only lost one game to that bad Iverson team?

No, the league has been that way in the sense that you knew Jordan's teams were going to dominate. You knew Shaq/Kobe would always be there in the mix. But other teams at least looked like they had a chance at times... and those teams weren't even as good as Lebron's Cavs are. I'm saying it's worse than ever right now between star players resting during the regular season and the finals being a joke so far. You're watching a team consisting of one of the all-time greats and multiple all stars around him get destroyed and you think we aren't at an all-time low right now?

I guess we can agree to disagree since we view the regular season in different ways. I know there are great young players in the league to watch but we always have that no matter what era it is. Westbrook was fun to watch this year but it just sucks knowing his team is going nowhere in the playoffs. That Lakers team still lost a game, something people who want a little parity are only hoping GS will do in this series. Except Golden State is playing a team far better than those Sixers. It's not surprising or saddening if that Sixers team got swept or only lost a game. But it's definitely somewhat of an eyebrow raiser if this Cavs team gets that treatment. You shouldn't be seeing this in the finals with that team. And we know why it's happening. That's the problem.

Ronin Ray

No, the league has been that way in the sense that you knew Jordan's teams were going to dominate. You knew Shaq/Kobe would always be there in the mix. But other teams at least looked like they had a chance at times... and those teams weren't even as good as Lebron's Cavs are. I'm saying it's worse than ever right now between star players resting during the regular season and the finals being a joke so far. You're watching a team consisting of one of the all-time greats and multiple all stars around him get destroyed and you think we aren't at an all-time low right now?

I guess we can agree to disagree since we view the regular season in different ways. I know there are great young players in the league to watch but we always have that no matter what era it is. Westbrook was fun to watch this year but it just sucks knowing his team is going nowhere in the playoffs. That Lakers team still lost a game, something people who want a little parity are only hoping GS will do in this series. Except Golden State is playing a team far better than those Sixers. It's not surprising or saddening if that Sixers team got swept or only lost a game. But it's definitely somewhat of an eyebrow raiser if this Cavs team gets that treatment. You shouldn't be seeing this in the finals with that team. And we know why it's happening. That's the problem.

I really think your selling short how deep and talented the league is. What's the problem ? Why is it happening? You also keep overlooking what was happening in that spurs warriors series before Kawhi went down. Also no offense but I think you're overreacting to these first two games the Cavs were down 3-1 last year. I mean it's Sports you have to play the games right. Who knows what will happen. If the warriors sweep I mean you just got to see history right. Things happen fast in the NBA. Like this Warrior team coming on to the scene out of nowhere few years ago.

It's been the media and talking heads shows.

as a cleveland fan whose senses have long since dulled to nothing, this is a legitimate question i want to ask:

why do you give a single fuck what sports media and talking heads have to say about anything when you probably know that they pander to the lowest common denominator of sports fandoms as much as possible (up to and including pretending kyrie vs curry is a debate so they can keep dumb cleveland bandwagoners watching their shows)?

LeBron fans have the least amount of faith in the guy. You've already given up and reverted back to KD ruining the league. You all gave up last year too when it was 2-0.

i'm... not much of a lebron fan, but my tendency to stop posting as much in the last few finals OTs has been more "got major shit going on IRL around this time of year + don't wanna run my mouth like certain other people" than having much of any faith in anyone

nemesun

Another exciting, close game finals with two star studded teams. Great advertisement for the NBA. Long may it continue.

FZZ

Banned
LeBron fans have the least amount of faith in the guy. You've already given up and reverted back to KD ruining the league. You all gave up last year too when it was 2-0.

Less people not having faith in Bron

more not having faith in his teammates

honestly though, none of this is as much of an issue if lebron doesn't repeatedly insist that his ~*best friends*~ get near-max or max contracts every time the FA period starts

like, just to name one of them, i imagine the $10 million they're throwing at shumpert's corpse would've been better spent elsewhere

Cracklox

I really think your selling short how deep and talented the league is. What's the problem ? Why is it happening? You also keep overlooking what was happening in that spurs warriors series before Kawhi went down. Also no offense but I think you're overreacting to these first two games the Cavs were down 3-1 last year. I mean it's Sports you have to play the games right. Who knows what will happen. If the warriors sweep I mean you just got to see history right. Things happen fast in the NBA. Like this Warrior team coming on to the scene out of nowhere few years ago.

Yep. People seem to forget the Dubs were pretty shit for long time. I was a fan in the Baron days (mostly just a fan of BD) and they were pretty bad then, with the exception of that 1 year they beat Dallas. Before that, ordinary for a long time. Heck I grew up in the Latrell Sprewell and short lived C Webb days, and everyone at the local courts was trying to do Spree. Team still sucked. As awesome a combo as Run TMC were, they hardly led them to any success either.

So yeah, I say let em have some time in the sun. Hopefully some other teams find a way to make it a bit more competitive for the next few years.

This series ain't over yet though. Going back to Cleveland should make things a little easier for the Cavs and a win would really shake things up

The Cavs had an easier road to the finals being the 2 seed. Bulls with Rondo & Wizards are better than the Pacers & Raptors.

I don't buy that. People are overrating the hell out of Washington, yet they choked away the series vs. Boston and people are acting like they can compete vs. Cleveland? Nah. Either way, Cleveland was going to smash.

TTG

I need to see the highlights already because everyone and their mama are talking about how Kyrie sucks or hurt or both and I swear he roasted Clark twice in a row so bad it should be in a and 1 mix tape. It turns out Klay is kinda great, we're past the he works hard and doesn't get down on himself stage.

nemesun

honestly though, none of this is as much of an issue if lebron doesn't repeatedly insist that his ~*best friends*~ get near-max or max contracts every time the FA period starts

like, just to name one of them, i imagine the $10 million they're throwing at shumpert's corpse would've been better spent elsewhere

I can't wait for the GOAT GM Lebron to get himself some help this off season. Melo and CP3 gonna get paid.

mozfan12

Banned
Oh my...
EBGKe40.png

Yep, and that's why those hoping for a repeat of 2016 should lose hope. How are Cleveland gonna stop 30+ points from Durant each game, which have been the major difference for the first two.

And with Lebron defending him as well. It would be much worse with another player on Durant.

FZZ

Banned
I want Bron to go to the Spurs after he's done with this stint in Cleveland

please breh, it's the only way you'll be able to play til you're 40

Popovich will regulate your minutes for the first damn time in your career

beat

Yep. People seem to forget the Dubs were pretty shit for long time. I was a fan in the Baron days (mostly just a fan of BD) and they were pretty bad then, with the exception of that 1 year they beat Dallas. Before that, ordinary for a long time. Heck I grew up in the Latrell Sprewell and short lived C Webb days, and everyone at the local courts was trying to do Spree. Team still sucked. As awesome a combo as Run TMC were, they hardly led them to any success either.
Starting from when they made the Monta-for-Bogut gamble (or really the next year, since Bogut was injured the year of that trade), they'd been on the upswing. They were a 51 win team the year before Kerr, with a great defense. IMO there were three major factors to Kerr's first year being the year they won it all:

1) Kerr's offense meant a lot of the Dubs points came from a good system in flow, rather than Curry having to create everything.

2) Curry took a leap. It wasn't until that season that he started taking really deep threes by choice, which gave the Warriors more space than ever, and also around the same time he'd gone from subpar at the rim to league-leading.

3) Draymond was elevated to the starting lineup because of an injury to David Lee. (and if memory serves, he was coming out of that year's training camp being (lightly) mocked by the team as "Draymond James" for trying to do too much. Now he's a legit second cornerstone of the team.)

JR and Shump have just been all around trash and even liabilities. I don't want to shit talk TT because he played well to get Cleveland their rings last year, but he's been trash in this series. I mean I don't know how much it's the fact that GS is just that much better but outside of LeBron and Love the Cavs are playing like they have no faith in their team

Anyway I don't know what the Cavs can do in the off season. They can't even come close to trying to pick up a 4th big star if that's what it will take to compete against GS.

nemesun

gonna rule watching 35 year old bron, melo, and cp3 lose by an average of 20

but in which round???

As long as they can take a banana boat ride down the Cuyahoga River and fleece Dan Gilbert, I'm sure they'll be fine with losing to dubs for the next 5 years.

OraTxrp

As long as they can take a banana boat ride down the Cuyahoga River and fleece Dan Gilbert, I'm sure they'll be fine with losing to dubs for the next 5 years.

OraTxrp

as a clevelander by birth: even if you were a billionaire why would you willingly spend any time on the cuyahoga north of, like, independence

nemesun

as a clevelander by birth: even if you were a billionaire why would you willingly spend any time on the cuyahoga north of, like, independence
Well after this dumpster fire of finals, we need another term to describe this mess, I hear your river is quite inflammable?

Don't Thompson and Aldridge get paid the same?
Wouldn't be surprised if they both get swapped in the off season
Especially if Thompson can't rebound , might as well get a big that can shoot , he wouldn't be so shook if he had LeBron passing.

Cavs are in the same rut as the Heat where the team got old fast and they were trying to retool with Luol Deng and Josh McRoberts.
scust.png

That teams downfall was Wade falling off tremendously with his knee issues. It's really hard to say this Cavs team is in a rut because they are at least the 2nd or 3rd beat team in the league and could beat anyone else besides the Warriors.

VeeP

Man Klay's post-game interview was great. Said he's excited to go to Cleveland and he's gonna try and reach another level with his game.

Spinluck

Swap out LeBron with any basketball player in human history, and GS will still win most of the time imo.

The team he is going against is incredible. But hey, he hand picked some of these guys. Gotta go down with that sinking ship that you put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom