• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Curry.

He's been the better player in the playoffs as a whole and has been more valuable than KD for the Warriors throughout the season.

Steph on / KD off — 1,226 MIN, 120.1 ORTG / 103.8 DRTG, Net +16.3
KD on / Steph off — 579 MIN, 110 ORTG / 106.9 DRTG, Net +3.1
Steph on, KD / Draymond off — 229 MIN, 120.5 ORTG / 105.7 DRTG, Net +14.8
KD on, Steph / Draymond off — 453 MIN, 111.4 ORTG / 108.9 DRTG, Net +2.5

^This, along with a higher RAPM and a higher +/-.

Plus, the Warriors are Curry's team. GSW fans would throw a riot if Curry was let go for KD. KD may not even be the 3rd most loved player amongst Warriors fans, while Steph is an idol for almost everyone in the Bay Area.
Smart man right here.

LOL @ Golden State dynasty. The Spurs will eliminate them next year.

Barring injury Steph and KD are in their prime and now know how to play off one another. It's hard to see how the spurs beat them without some insane roster changes

This team already has broken the record for best regular season stretch in NBA history that probably won't be broken for a long time and they did that for a significant stretch this season with KD injured.

Boogs31

Still too early on dynasty-level talk. The team has been hot the last couple of years, and this 2017 team is the best we've seen, but they still have to close out the series and have a long way to go before anyone calls GSW a dynasty. If they would have closed it out last year they'd be closer to that talk, but we all know what happened, a 3-1 Finals choke.

2 titles in three years, with the other year being a season in which they won an NBA record 73 games, is dynasty level. I know they still have to win this year, but if they do, they would already be a dynasty level team.

Mathematically, this series is far from over. Odd numbered games are the best anyway! Can't wait for Wednesday!!

Also, man I'm still upset Kobe Lakers vs Lebron team never happened. That magic series was lame and the celtics rematch was great but all that nike marketing about Kobe vs Lebron was too good for its own good.

TTG

Curry's drive past Lebron is blowing up, he got him with a fake gather and then just snuck by for a lay up. Am I the only one who remember pre knee Curry crossing everyone, Kawhi included, being right there with Kyrie as the best handles in the game? When this was happening like every game?

I appreciate the play from tonight, but he really lost years off his lateral quickness. This is crafty Curry now.

Smart man right here.

To be fair, a lot of that is KD with a second unit(especially early in the year) and Curry got the benefit of that run they had late in the season when KD went out. It's splitting hairs, IMO.

Tall4Life

Barring injury Steph and KD are in their prime and now know how to play off one another. It's hard to see how the spurs beat them without some insane roster changes
Spurs looked to possibly beat them in game 1 and 2 of the conference finals if not for Kawaii being injured. With their older vets dropping out they could get CP3 or someone similar and beat them.

I notice LeBron is not posting up anymore. I feel like that's when he's really at his best. He used to do it almost every possession in the 2015 Finals putting up like 40 points a game against the Warriors. That's when they used to slow the game down.

I notice LeBron is not posting up anymore. I feel like that's when he's really at his best. He used to do it almost every possession in the 2015 Finals putting up like 40 points a game against the Warriors. That's when they used to slow the game down.

I don't really understand the Cavs gameplan. They seem to be trying to play at the same pace as the warriors a lot of the time but that really doesn't bode well for them because they lack the firepower consistently to do so.

Matticers

What NBA have you watched ? The same teams always finish at the top. This isn't new at all and it has always been this way. Read some of the posts in this thread or look up some NBA history. Those nets teams weren't ok they were bad just like Iverson Sixers or James first Cleveland team. The NBA is more loaded with Talent right now then it's been in a long time. Who knows what would have happened in that Spurs series if their best player didn't get hurt. Let's see what the Cavs do at home. They lost the first two games last year and also got blown out in one of them. Even if the Warriors sweep who knows what's going to happen next year with moves and teams making trades.

I've been watching NBA basketball since the late 80's. My point in saying the regular season sucks too wasn't that it used to be good. It hasn't ever been that good to watch during the regular season except for the occasional rivalry match up or the rare late season game that could affect playoff seeding. But now the playoffs/finals are a legit snoozefest too, even with a team as good as Lebron's Cavs are. That's the problem. I'm still not sure what makes the NBA great right now like you said it is. What great playoff series have we had this season? We should have plenty with all of this talent in the NBA now like you said. Utah/LA went 7 but wasn't exactly great. Especially since the Clippers lost Blake. Washington/Boston went 7 but I don't know if I'd call that great either since it only had one or two close games and the road team never won.

Not getting swept when Wall is playing this good in his prime.

Just needs a bit more help otherwise they burn out with no help from bench. A few more decent players could easily compete with the Cavs.

The only thing I remember is him going 0-11 to finish game 7 and Beal having to do everything.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Spurs looked to possibly beat them in game 1 and 2 of the conference finals if not for Kawaii being injured. With their older vets dropping out they could get CP3 or someone similar and beat them.

Chris Paul is rolling out of his prime years though. Paul George is much younger in NBA years for a Spurs get. Paul is rolling into the older vet phase of his career.

Boogs31

Chris Paul is rolling out of his prime years though. Paul George is much younger in NBA years for a Spurs get.

Paul George isn't a free agent. San Antonio would have to give up more to get him via trade than they would have to give up to create cap space to sign CP3 as a free agent.

Oh my...
EBGKe40.png

It's pretty much the only chance they have, slow the pace down to a crawl and post Lebron in every play. Instead they're trying to 7SOL the fucking Warriors of all teams.

They don't need to just play better. They played better tonight and lost by 20. They need a plan.

Aren't playoff ratings higher then they've been in a long time? The masses tune in to watch the super teams play.

Everything is up this year. Growth WW as well.

Lebron is gonna bring it all on Wednesday to not get swept. Down 3-0 will be the nail. If he gets swept in the finals for the 2nd time no one will ever utter his name in same breath with MJ.

No one is going to mention it anyway after he loses. It's not an argument, but even so, it's not like he's suddenly terrible.

In five years when the next team that lucked into drafting the guy that actually develops into that elite top-3 player has assembled an unbeatable squad that rolls through to a finals win we'll be hearing the same shit.

Member how the Spurs got Tim Duncan while already having the Admiral?

You mean that team that got 4-0'd by the 01 Lakers?

Gonna be interesting how the Warriors fair in Cleveland. Game 3 will probably be way more competitive now that the Cavs have home court.

Unless they adjust the rim height, I doubt it.
Cavs were getting cooked from 3 and they were playing hard. Problem is that there is no way to simulate playing the Warriors.

KD looks like he's figured out that LBJ can no longer defend him.

I don't really understand the Cavs gameplan. They seem to be trying to play at the same pace as the warriors a lot of the time but that really doesn't bode well for them because they lack the firepower consistently to do so.

Tbh they have no choice, GS is always ahead. Cavs become afraid knowing GS are 3 possessions away from a double digit lead. Like in tonight's game. GS were up 4pts, next 30 seconds it becomes an 11pt lead. So they try to match the intensity to get back in the game. Worked for the first 3qts, but in the 4th they couldn't keep up.

Ben Golliver
@BenGolliver
LeBron James on Game 3 adjustments: "That's a coach Lue question. I don't put the gameplan together."

RIP Coach Lue.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Caught up with the box score after being away all day. Yeesh.

So if GSW never blew it last year, Durant goes elsewhere and this never happens right? We end up with Spurs vs the Durant-led Celtics in the Finals?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

So if GSW never blew it last year, Durant goes elsewhere and this never happens right? We end up with Spurs vs the Durant-led Celtics in the Finals?

Durant would still go to GSW.

Vanillalite

Paul George isn't a free agent. San Antonio would have to give up more to get him via trade than they would have to give up to create cap space to sign CP3 as a free agent.

Don't disagree. That was more purely an age post.

CP3 isn't young anymore.

do the indians still blow a 3-1 lead in this timeline

(just trying to gauge whether i'd be more or less likely to be completely apathetic about sports by now)

Boogs31

You mean that team that got 4-0'd by the 01 Lakers?

That was the 4th year Duncan and Robinson were together. Robinson was getting old at that point. They won a title in year 2 together and Duncan got hurt in year 3 that opened the door for the Lakers to win the first title in their three peat. If Duncan was healthy in 2000 maybe the defending champion Spurs beat the Lakers which changes things drastically in 2001, when the Lakers dominated the playoffs based a lot off of the confidence they had being the defending champs.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Durant would still go to GSW.

Doubt it. KD might have gone to Boston or some other team. I don't think he'd go to GSW if they won the title.

Also, I hope the Dubs win so we won't hear all these "Don't forget the fact that GSW blew a 3-1 lead" memes and shit.

So a few days ago people were saying how kyrie is better and curry ans now we're talking about trading him

LOL! You always get one of those people. I have one friend who even says that if he was allowed to make a fantasy team, he'd pick Kyrie over Curry.

Curry has a lot of haters like LBJ, so most of them disregard a player's skills and greatness just to hate.

Thomas
Smart
Durant
Love
Horford

Ainge did it. Best timeline
#3 pick, Bradley , Crowder, OLYNK, Zeller god for Love

That's what would have happened had they lost 4-1 last year, LeBron would want a Curry stopper and Bradley would be it, the rest are just cheap contracts x trade bait
MVP Jaylen would have been mentored by LeBron

Vanillalite

So a few days ago people were saying how kyrie is better and curry ans now we're talking about trading him

He didn't play great, but he still scored 19 points.

Let's say he has a couple less turn overs and scores 29 points.

So the Cavs lose by 10-15 instead of 20-25?

Does it really matter?

Ronin Ray

I've been watching NBA basketball since the late 80's. My point in saying the regular season sucks too wasn't that it used to be good. It hasn't ever been that good to watch during the regular season except for the occasional rivalry match up or the rare late season game that could affect playoff seeding. But now the playoffs/finals are a legit snoozefest too, even with a team as good as Lebron's Cavs are. That's the problem. I'm still not sure what makes the NBA great right now like you said it is. What great playoff series have we had this season? We should have plenty with all of this talent in the NBA now like you said. Utah/LA went 7 but wasn't exactly great. Especially since the Clippers lost Blake. Washington/Boston went 7 but I don't know if I'd call that great either since it only had one or two close games and the road team never won.

You have been watching the nba since the 80s and you think the league hasn't always been this way. Spurs Memphis was good spurs rockets were good and once again if Kawhi stays healthy who know what happens. Did you not see the great mvp race this year? Yes the playoffs have been bad but your also seeing what may be the best basketball team ever in the warriors. Once again what makes the nba great is all the talent across the league. Ad, Kat , Greek the freak, joel embid (if he can stay healthy) devin Booker, porzingis and those guys are all extremely young.I want to see what Ben Simmons can do. Then you add Westbrook, harden, john wall , Damian Lillard, Kawhi Leonard and that's not even counting the insane talent in the finals and lots of other talented players in the league. I mean do you remember when the Lakers swept all the way to the finals and only lost one game to that bad Iverson team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom