• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambis

Banned
are you saying their stat lines are similar?

of course you watch the game I just find it funny the lengths you will go to downplay curry's success so far in the finals. dude had a double double game 1 and was almost approaching a triple double and actually got the triple double last night. like, curry's the smallest player on the court and he had 10 rebounds. not to mention his +/- was the same as kd's.

check it:

I'm not going to any length. I've watched Curry since they had that riveting series with the Spurs a while back. I know how he looks at his best and at his worse and he's been way inconsistent in the Finals. Because he can rack up points quick and clean up his box score is immaterial to that fact.

rambis

Banned
Cavs need two-way players to compete with GS. You can't just sign good offensive guys and expect to keep up.
GSW has been pedestrian outside of KD. It can't be said enough how close this series would likely be if everyone played at this same level without KD.

Boogs31

Eh, that was a very small minority after the first ring.

I was a hater until literally game 6 against the Spurs. The Spurs were winning and the Heat were about to be eliminated. Before that moment the old LeBron would have become passive on offense and passed to some scrub in the corner, instead he started jacking up threes and trying to take over the game himself. Took some missed free throws, some lucky breaks and one of the greatest plays/shots I have ever seen but I feel like that was the moment he became the undisputed best player in the league. He then proved it in game 7.

Just because you take a shot at the end doesn't mean you're great. In the closing moments of the game he missed a three, they got an offensive rebound and therefore he got an immediate do over that he made. Then next possession he missed again, they got another offensive rebound and Ray Allen hit the shot to tie the game. Not sure how that sequence from LeBron was impressive to you. He was pretty underwhelming in those finals, especially the first three games. And he certainly wasn't the reason they were able to pull out game 6 at the end. That was Bosh and Allen.

If anything, it would be game 7 was should have sold you on his greatness.

br3wnor

Disappointing series so far for sure. Competitive up until half time and then the wheels fall off.

I don't see how Cavs have any shot in this series. Especially on a night where Klay gets hot, how the fuck do you defend Curry, KD and Klay, it's just insane. Lebron doing everything he can but I don't think they can pull the miracle off like last year.

Is there any indication that KD would consider going to another franchise if they win the chip? I get that he can stay on the team and they'll have a good shot of winning 3+ more titles but Steph will always be 'the guy' on that team, wonder if that will have any sway over him giving it a shot w/ another franchise.

bionic77

Just because you take a shot at the end doesn't mean you're great. In the closing moments of the game he missed a three, they got an offensive rebound and therefore he got an immediate do over that he made. Then next possession he missed again, they got another offensive rebound and Ray Allen hit the shot to tie the game. Not sure how that sequence from LeBron was impressive to you. He was pretty underwhelming in those finals, especially the first three games. And he certainly wasn't the reason they were able to pull out game 6 at the end. That was Bosh and Allen.

If anything, it would be game 7 was should have sold you on his greatness.
The reason that mattered was before that series he would have passively passed to some scrub and let them take the shots because he was afraid to. The best player on the team has to carry his team in moments like that, win or lose. That was the big knock on LeBron was that he shrunk in those moments (and he did more than once). And he didn't just take one three he kept gunning despite that not being his game.

That lack of fear was to me what led to that amazing output in game 7. You take the most physically gifted player in the league and you combine it with a champions mentality and you get what we have been seeing for the past 5 years.

Boogs31

I'm not going to any length. I've watched Curry since they had that riveting series with the Spurs a while back. I know how he looks at his best and at his worse and he's been way inconsistent in the Finals. Because he can rack up points quick and clean up his box score is immaterial to that fact.

He was pretty darn good in game 1. 28 points on 50% shooting with 6 threes and hardly any turnovers. How can you possibly say that performance was inconsistent?

In game 2 he had too many turnovers in the first half but made up for those by getting to the free throw line and making all of them. And he cleaned up his turnovers in the second half and played great. He finished 7 of 17 from the field with 4 threes and 14 of 14 from the free throw line. 32 points on 17 shot attempts is extremely efficient. He's been terrific in three of the four halfs thus far and okay in the other. I wouldn't call that inconsistent.

Jag

Is there any indication that KD would consider going to another franchise if they win the chip? I get that he can stay on the team and they'll have a good shot of winning 3+ more titles but Steph will always be 'the guy' on that team, wonder if that will have any sway over him giving it a shot w/ another franchise.

Being "the guy" is low on the list for these guys. It's getting a chip and getting paid that matters. KD has nothing to prove. He may want to be on a dynasty or he may want a big payout. That will determine what he does more than anything.

airjoca

A coach has nothing to do with it. Cavs tried to buy a championship. It worked in their favor last year but this year they're in way over their head. This sweep they're about to take will humble them.

It would make a difference. Right now Cavs are trying to play run n' gun with the Warriors which is suicidal. A good coach would have them slow down and play much better half court sets than LeBron or Kyrie dribbling for half the clock and then kick out for a 3 in the corner.

We just saw Brad Stevens outcoach the Cavs but with little talent to match the genius of his gameplan.

On the one hand I want LeBron to be swept. On the other hand I don't want the Warriors with the perfect 16-0. People will overrate them because of it.

Boogs31

The reason that mattered was before that series he would have passively passed to some scrub and let them take the shots because he was afraid to. The best player on the team has to carry his team in moments like that, win or lose. That was the big knock on LeBron was that he shrunk in those moments (and he did more than once). And he didn't just take one three he kept gunning despite that not being his game.

That lack of fear was to me what led to that amazing output in game 7. You take the most physically gifted player in the league and you combine it with a champions mentality and you get what we have been seeing for the past 5 years.

While I agree that one step in becoming a clutch player is not being afraid to take the big shots, the more important thing is actually coming through in those situations. If not for offensive rebounds, he would have gone 0 for 2 at the end and Miami would have lost.

In game 7, he wasn't afraid to take the shots AND he actually made a good percentage of them.

phanphare

Banned
He was pretty darn good in game 1. 28 points on 50% shooting with 6 threes and hardly any turnovers. How can you possibly say that performance was inconsistent?

In game 2 he had too many turnovers in the first half but made up for those by getting to the free throw line and making all of them. And he cleaned up his turnovers in the second half and played great. He finished 7 of 17 from the field with 4 threes and 14 of 14 from the free throw line. 32 points on 17 shot attempts is extremely efficient. He's been terrific in three of the four halfs thus far and okay in the other. I wouldn't call that inconsistent.

exactly

not to mention what steph's mere presence on the court does to an opposing team's defense. some of those kd dunks from game 1 should be credited as a steph assist because dudes would rather stick to him at the 3 then stop the ball.

It would make a difference. Right now Cavs are trying to play run n' gun with the Warriors which is suicidal. A good coach would have them slow down and play much better half court sets than LeBron or Kyrie dribbling for half the clock and then kick out for a 3 in the corner.

We just saw Brad Stevens outcoach the Cavs but with little talent to match the genius of his gameplan.

On the one hand I want LeBron to be swept. On the other hand I don't want the Warriors with the perfect 16-0. People will overrate them because of it.

better team, 16-0 Warriors or 16-0 Patriots?

Tom Penny

Eh, that was a very small minority after the first ring.

I was a hater until literally game 6 against the Spurs. The Spurs were winning and the Heat were about to be eliminated. Before that moment the old LeBron would have become passive on offense and passed to some scrub in the corner, instead he started jacking up threes and trying to take over the game himself. Took some missed free throws, some lucky breaks and one of the greatest plays/shots I have ever seen but I feel like that was the moment he became the undisputed best player in the league. He then proved it in game 7.
Nah. Stone faced Zombie Lebron game 6 against the Celtics will always be his defining moment.

bionic77

would andrew bogut have helped defensively
No he is not athletic enough on defense to keep up and he would not punish the Warriors enough on offense/boards for him too stay on the floor.

I do think they miss a big guy right now to change the pace. Thompson should be that guy but he has been a total fucking zero in this series.

Boogs31

What would anyone do to the Cavs to make them a stronger team?

They desperately lack another wing defender. Richard Jefferson was able to fill that role for the last 3 games last year but he's a step slower this time around. Their biggest problem is that LeBron can't guard both Durant and Green. If they had another athletic, tall wing that could at least hold his own on offense they'd be in a lot better shape. Those guys are hard to get with the minimal resources the Cavs have being over the cap.

rambis

Banned

Play by play says otherwise.

In game 1 he was an absolute ghost for large stretches of the game while it was close and exploded after they got up over 10.

Yesterday was largely the same but with turnovers. He was missing wide open 3s ffs.

Maybe im different but disappearing for large swathes of a game and exploding after it starts to become out of reach does not make for a good individual game.

Its crazy because every other star gets massacred for this kind of "check my stats" play.

phanphare

Banned

In game 1 he was an absolute ghost for large stretches of the game while it was close and exploded after they got up over 10.

Yesterday was largely the same but with turnovers. He was missing wide open 3s ffs.

Maybe im different but disappearing for large swathes of a game and exploding after it starts to become out of reach does not make for a good individual game.

Its crazy because every other star gets massacred for this kind of "check my stats" play.

yeah russ got crucified for his triple doubles this past season

oh wait, he's probably going to win mvp

Bogut was a big man on the decline. His defense is good-great during the regular season but in the playoffs he'll pretty much give you one good home game per series. The rest of the time he wasn't all that impressive. I much rather have Zaza + Javale than playoffs Bogut and Ezeli. Not to discount what Bogut did for our franchise but it was a good time to unload him

Boogs31

When you claim he disappears he actually is making a big impact. His threat from 3 makes it more difficult to guard the Warriors as a whole. He sets screens that gets guys wide open threes and dunks. He also allows his teammates to attack in space because his defender never leaves him. And just ignoring his production after they go up 10 is unfair because the Warriors have spent most of the playoffs up 10, including this series, that doesn't mean that production at that point doesn't matter. It's just as important to put a team away as it is to get a lead in the first place.

bionic77

would andrew bogut have helped defensively
No he is not athletic enough on defense to keep up and he would not punish the Warriors enough on offense/boards for him too stay on the floor.

I do think they miss a big guy right now to change the pace. Thompson should be that guy but he has been a total fucking zero in this series.

Nafai1123

Banned
GSW has been pedestrian outside of KD. It can't be said enough how close this series would likely be if everyone played at this same level without KD.

I disagree. Klay's been phenomenal guarding Kyrie. Zaza and Dray have neutralized TT on the offensive boards. Iggy has provided quality minutes when Dray leaves the floor. Even Steph who's supposed to be the liability has defended well. All the Warriors play both sides of the floor and it shows.

phanphare

Banned

never trust no Cardassians

Curry averaging 30ppg and 10.5 assists got people in shambles.

it's the rebounding that's got me, 6 in game 1 and 10 in game 2

You sound like an absolute bonafide hater my boy. Just sit down.

Sure this sounded cool in your head.

Naw.

It's a play on what Tywin Lannister said, regarding Joffey needed to incessantly regard himself as King.

Essentially, anyone who is the greatest player can let their actions speak for themselves. There is no need to remind people how great you are. No need to tattoo "Chosen1" on your back. No need for you to say it at press conferences.

I can't remember a single time KAJ or MJ had to tell the world they were the GOAT...cause their game spoke for itself.

rambis

Banned
yeah russ got crucified for his triple doubles this past season

oh wait, he's probably going to win mvp
Every talking head in the world has criticized WB and questioned if he was really helping them win.
When you claim he disappears he actually is making a big impact. His threat from 3 makes it more difficult to guard the Warriors as a whole. He sets screens that gets guys wide open threes and dunks. He also allows his teammates to attack in space because his defender never leaves him. And just ignoring his production after they go up 10 is unfair because the Warriors have spent most of the playoffs up 10, including this series, that doesn't mean that production at that point doesn't matter. It's just as important to put a team away as it is to get a lead in the first place.
Nearly every other Superstar would be called a frontrunner yet its justified here. Mystifying indeed.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LOL:

https://twitter.com/guydebort/status/871550407352496128

stefan‏ @guydebort

Somebody revoke this mans credential

DBhed7-WsAANn7S.jpg

7:13 PM - 4 Jun 2017

Template here for photoshop shenanigans:

DBkDKGhUIAAm6xu.jpg

Ripenen

Get better at distributing the ball instead of going iso all the time. Not only would it mix up their offense to keep defenders guessing a bit more, but would also give LeBron a bit of a break so he isn't gassed in the second half.

Bring in CP3 at point guard and move Kyrie to SG (or trade him because they couldn't afford both and Kyrie is a liability on defense).

Lose JR for a decent defender.

Get TT more involved instead of having him out there to do almost nothing but get rebounds.

Trade Korver, Jefferson, Williams, and Frye for some young players. Even if they are rough, they need bodies with the energy to put up a fight on defense to prevent runaways when LeBron is off the floor. Kyrie can handle offense while LeBron rests, but he can't handle defense when he's out there with a bunch of old timers.

rambis

Banned
Naw.

It's a play on what Tywin Lannister said, regarding Joffey needed to incessantly regard himself as King.

Essentially, anyone who is the greatest player can let their actions speak for themselves. There is no need to remind people how great you are. No need to tattoo "Chosen1" on your back. No need for you to say it at press conferences.

I can't remember a single time KAJ or MJ had to tell the world they were the GOAT...cause their game spoke for itself.
Right, and nobody watches Lebron's game and says the same. They all just say it because he got that one tat as an 18 year old...

Cavs need a better halfcourt offense, which may require a better coach. It's difficult for me to gauge Lue's impact, for better or worse.

In hindsight, the point person for roster changes, whoever that is at the end of the day, needed to place a bigger emphasis on defense when assembling the Cavs' current squad. It was and is painfully obvious that they put the pieces together based on offense alone. They really have no defensive scheme. Kyrie Irving is a particularly egregious example of this, as he plays very little or very poor defense. That means that when he's being shut out of games by Klay Thompson, the only thing he's doing when he's on the floor is occupying a good defender.

It can't be stressed enough how much of a boost LBJ has been to Irving's career. I think it's clear that, at this stage of his career, you cannot build a team around Irving.

Right, and nobody watches Lebron's game and says the same. They all just say it because he got that one tat as an 18 year old...

Point missed.

Who cares if the people watching think you are the GOAT. When YOU have to tell people YOU are great, there's your issue.

Lots of people think Jordan is the GOAT.

Dude never had to tell us he was.

rambis

Banned
Point missed.

Who cares if the people watching think you are the GOAT. When YOU have to tell people YOU are great, there's your issue.

No, I get what you are saying. Its just rather pointless.

bionic77

Point missed.

Thats because Nike, Gatorade and the NBA PR machine did that for him.

My boy Cedric was robbed!

Fjordson

Curry averaging 30ppg, 10.5 assists and 8 rebounds got people in shambles.
On 66% TS! Curry has been fiyah (really all playoffs).

Like I said after game 1 though, not sure why Cavs fans are going off the deep end already. Can't forget what happened last year until time is actually up on a fourth GS win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom