• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, for an entertainment product, that's good news. But people will tune out when it becomes perfunctory. And worse for the NBA, people will stop going to home games to support teams they know have zero hopes in the playoffs. That's where the league gets its money; not people watching a lopsided Finals on TV. What reason do I have to see the Blazers when I know they have zero chance of challenging the actual league champions?

You saying something will happen when there is zero evidence that said things are happening doesn't magically make them true.

The NBA has and always has been a star driven league. Magic going to the Finals every year in the 80s didn't drive people away. Jordan winning 6 times in the 90s didn't drive people away. The Lakers and Spurs rattling off nearly every title in the 00s didn't drive people off. It never does. If anything shit like "The Decision" or KD going to GS has only brought more eyeballs to the league, and made it a 365 day a year sport.

Ever

Banned
How is it not greatness

Hey guess what

More people are watching these finals than since Jordan

Ratings are fine. Their TV deal is ridiculously lucrative and their leverage for next negotiations will only get better. The NBA is at a better place in terms of talent and worldwide appeal than it's ever been.

But don't let facts get in the way of your trash can hot take, bro.

Greatness is exactly what's being displayed here. You not liking it doesn't make it less true. And on that note...

you pre-emptively calling yourself out also doesn't make it less true.

Wow here comes the defense force oh man you sure showed me

Wow a team of great players decided to get together and win rings with little to no effort oh wow that's greatness

Wow son the league doing nothing about it and calling it greatness and pointing to ratings even though it's the only series anyone cares about to damage control the fact that no one else cares about the other 28 teams

Wow damn man if nothing's done we're going to get this same crap for years so why even bother watching

But yeah okay greatness bro you sure showed me

Jesus posts like these just make me smh but w/e get people like this all the time

just smh tbh

Most of the All NBA teams were either 25-27, LeBron, or a 21 year old

And there should have been a 20 year old there in KAT but I digress

KAT and Wiggins, the Brow and Boogie, Giannis, Parker (if his knees get healthy) and Middleton, Celtics, Embiid and Simmons, the high flying Nuggets offense.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Game is as watchable and entertaining now as it's ever been.

How quickly people forget how good LeBron was a few years ago, Kobe is nowhere near the superstar that LeBron is and was. I would take a 32 year old LeBron over any version of Kobe.

You are selling prime Kobe way short. Put prime Kobe in that game for LeBron at the two min mark and theres no way the cavs lose.

"A new chapter."

DBkOhTSV0AADeF3.jpg

Lmao
Yet it's exactly what kd did.

Fjordson

Wow a team of great players decided to get together and win rings with little to no effort oh wow that's greatness

Wow son the league doing nothing about it and calling it greatness to damage control the fact that no one else cares about the other 28 teams

Wow damn man if nothing's done we're going to get this same crap for years so why even bother watching

Jesus posts like these just make me smh but w/e get people like this all the time

just smh tbh
Wow son what a terrible post

Tall4Life

Wow son the league doing nothing about it and calling it greatness and pointing to ratings even though it's the only series anyone cares about to damage control the fact that no one else cares about the other 28 teams

just smh tbh

The Warriors decided to get together? They drafted Draymond, Steph, and Klay, in mid-low first round picks your favorite team probably passed over. Get over it, they beat the game.

Falcons had the biggest choke job of the century

Not even going to touch Trump or May because those are end of the world scenarios, but goddamn that was quite possibly the most hurtful choke I ever saw live. They were playing some intense football, they were well on their way to be one of the best SB teams ever. Then it all happened and I like Matt Ryan quite a lot, he's such an incredible QB. It still hurts.

just smh tbh

Wow damn son Wow

TTG

Anyone got a quarter by quarter breakdown for Lebron? It looked like he faded in the 4th, later than the previous 2 games, but he did. His drive and pass game was still amazing, but they weren't shooting well enough.

Nothing against Lebron and Kyrie btw, they combined for just under 80. They just couldn't get it done at the end. JR's 3 gave them a great chance(90/10 or 80/20) and then it was pretty bad.

King Durant! Best player in the league easy. LeBron is faux royalty, Cleveland style. Didn't even dare to take the game into his own hands when they still had a chance.

Tristan Thompson makes like $18 million a year and can't even play in this series. Players like him don't have a place in the league anymore. Doesn't protect the rim. Can't score or shoot. Has zero defensive versatility. Same with JR Smith. the one game out of 5 where he's hot is nice, but when he's not hitting his shots he's worthless. Can't defend. Can't create for others. Outside of Bron/Love/Kyrie the Cavs resemble a team from 2004 in terms of roster construction. Not sure what they can do to change that.

Lebron's fault. The Cavs never should have given either of them that money. It only happened because Lebron forced their hand. They need to do everything in their power to dump one of those contracts.

RedAssedApe

Banned

just smh tbh

Smh indeed

SCChappy

Banned
Silver shouldn't dismantle the Warriors, he should dismantle the NBA itself so we don't have to have these trash ass hot take threads anymore

What would Silver do? Remove KD from the team? The Warriors were naturally assembled from drafting otherwise (and fuck he was a free agent, it wasn't like an ice capades trade).

That's what so many people keep forgetting about the Warriors when they bitch about super teams. Curry, Klay, and Draymond were all drafted by the Warriors and KD came on his own.

Sure, for an entertainment product, that's good news. But people will tune out when it becomes perfunctory. And worse for the NBA, people will stop going to home games to support teams they know have zero hopes in the playoffs. That's where the league gets its money; not people watching a lopsided Finals on TV. What reason do I have to see the Blazers when I know they have zero chance of challenging the actual league champions?

Your idea has never been true and never will be true.

The defending champs have always been a sellout in every arena.

If you're a Blazers fan you get to see CJ and Dame develop and maybe get to a conf. Finals.

phanphare

Banned
Not even going to touch Trump or May because those are end of the world scenarios, but goddamn that was quite possibly the most hurtful choke I ever saw live. They were playing some intense football, they were well on their way to be one of the best SB teams ever. Then it all happened and I like Matt Ryan quite a lot, he's such an incredible QB. It still hurts.

matt ryan plays like an elite qb until he needs to be an elite qb

LionPride

Banned
Literally a peak in the NBA in terms of the depth of talent

But KD and the Warriors are playing basketball too well

Get the fuck outta here

Folks want the Cavs to run shit like the Dubs are about too they never should have let LeGM trade all them prospects and youth (well okay cept Bennett he obviously doesn't count) for Love.

Yeah it made em good right away and they got a ring out of it.

But at the cost of financial flexibility and long term view.

Please. No Falcons talk. Plz.

Lol anyway, LeBron has to do something. Someone is getting traded. I wonder how man future 1st they'll give up too.

just smh tbh

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom