• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Ok you guys need to admit that this years playoffs are one of the worse ever and I'm not talking cause it's the warriors. Letting a team possibly sweep every series in 4 is just not fun.

As a casual fan it's been fine to me. I also don't subscribe to the idea that sweeping in a finals automatically deems it a bad one. Sure, Golden State is a super team, but nothing is guaranteed, and it's very possible that they don't sweep. Tonight's game was close and had amazing plays. The game before this was also close for the most part until it blew open late in the game.

I don't think the number of games really matters; instead I think how each game is played is more important. If we have another game like tonight's and Golden State wins, so be it. At least it'll be entertaining and well fought.

Cornbread78

SO I guess it's all up to Silvers if they league wants to give the Warriors the streak and let them win out, or if they want to draw it out to 7 games for additional TV/venue revenue.

Kill3r7

The NBA needs to be contracted. You can't do it for financial reasons, but that is really the solution. There aren't enough world class ball players in the world to support the amount of teams in the NBA. Fewer more packed teams would fix the competitive balance issues. Shortening the season so every game mattered more and players could have longer heathier careers would help too. Or you need to rewrite the rule book. GSW have just redefined how basketball is played and league doesnt know how to handle it.

You mean like Barcelona under Pep or Spain. People will eventually figure it out. Time always wins out.

Brinbe

All this whining is nauseating and these hot takes get the
900x900px-LL-1428af11_MarcusCambyGetOuttaHere.gif

#1. Talking about how the quality of the league has declined is absolute horseshit. The skill level and sophistication on both sides, has never been higher. We're a long way from the grind it out-90s and the iso-2000s. Ball movement, communication, spacing, shooting, versatility, consistent effort is required to succeed.

#2. Everyone whining about how boring things are, or how the Warriors/Cavs/LeBron/Durant/Curry/etc are responsible for the ruination of the league are seriously annoying as hell. The Dubs are a historically excellent team led by two (maybe four/five?) HOFers, while the Cavs are merely a great one, that's the difference here. Everyone talking shit about LeBron's GM abilities, well, his squad did well enough to coast through the regular season and chew up the best of the East. And they'd probably do the same to most teams not named the Spurs or Warriors.

#3. That they're having this sort of trouble now doesn't suddenly mean that TT/Smith/Love/etc are absolute shit now. They were roasting teams all throughout the playoffs. But the Warriors D is that fucking good. They're #1 in the league for a reason.

#4. On Durant in particular, often times, the same people that talk shit about him joining up with the best team or not taking the hard road or bullshit like that, are the first people to bring up rings when talking about the historical greatest. So why knock the man for making the right decision for himself? Because he didn't stay in a shitty situation, with shitty ownership, so he could make things harder for himself, for why?

#5. Settle down and just enjoy this shit! If you're a fan of fucking basketball, it doesn't always have to be about gripping 7-game slugfests. In the history of the game, this may well be one of the best teams ever assembled. Enjoy and appreciate that shit. It won't come around very often.

#6. Nothing lasts forever and another team will rise. The Bucks, the Timberpups, The Philly Process, The Jazz, The Cs (as much as I hate to admit it) The CP3/Kawhi-led Spurs, whatever team LeGM can conjure up next season, there are many exciting teams on the come-up.

Raonak

Banned
Warriors pretty much came from nowhere and dominated.
There's no reason another team can't do the same with good draft picks and coaching structure.
Lebron kinda fucked up with the contracts, cause it really limits their ability to respond to GS.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get the whining either. The NBA has always been a series of dynasties with a few years of parity in between them. Some are long dynasties like those Bill Russel Celtics teams or Jordan's Bulls. Some are more sporadic like the Shaq Kobe and then Kobe & Pau Lakers or Spurs who each have 5 championships spread out a bit. But it's nothing new for a team or two to dominate the league.

There's no easy fix. They have a salary cap, Bird exception etc. in place and dynasties happen as much or more than sports like MLB or European Soccer leagues that don't. Under both systems you're going to have dynasties. Under both systems you have new teams and surprise champions every so often. Just the way it is. Certain cities/franchises have more money, more appeal to rich athletes, certain players are going to choose to team up etc. Just the nature of sports.

Servbot24

Banned
Ok you guys need to admit that this years playoffs are one of the worse ever and I'm not talking cause it's the warriors. Letting a team possibly sweep every series in 4 is just not fun.
Warriors have been the one good part of the playoffs. We may be seeing history. It's the rest of the teams, the ones that have parity in mediocrity, that make the playoffs dull.

This is coming from a longtime Lakers fan but...

If you hate the Warriors you hate basketball. They play the right way. They built their team through the draft, developed their players and acquired a key FA. Yet yall wanna hate because they're good? Stop hating and enjoy greatness. One of the most entertaining teams to watch.

Yah I know all the blah about KD joining a team that just beat him and he has no competitive edge. Such BS. If y'all got a better job offer from opposing firm or business that offered better opportunities and achievements how many of you wouldn't take it?

It's not like KD is sitting back cruising on this team, he's making a case of why this is his team now. The man is out there making a case of why he deserves to be in the finals by playing his heart out. This is Kd's and Warriors league for the next few years and people will have to get used to it. After last year's finals, the Warriors needed KD more then KD needed them and this finals has showed exactly that.

Not taking anything away from LeBron because he has played his heart out and been phenomenal.

#6. Nothing lasts forever and another team will rise. The Bucks, the Timberpups, The Philly Process, The Jazz, The Cs (as much as I hate to admit it) The CP3/Kawhi-led Spurs, whatever team LeGM can conjure up next season, there are many exciting teams on the come-up.

I just wonder how long that will take. This year's FA crop isn't going to shift the balance even if they all banned together. I just hate returning to that feeling of next season doesn't matter, only thing that will change is who will loose to MJ and the Bulls .

Cornbread78

I just wonder how long that will take. This year's FA crop isn't going to shift the balance even if they all banned together. I just hate returning to that feeling of next season doesn't matter, only thing that will change is who will loose to MJ and the Bulls .

I hate to break it to you, but you are still probably looking at the same finals next year, the year after that, and maybe the year after that as well.

Nothing is going to change anytime soon if these teams stay healthy and stay together..

Jag

#5. Settle down and just enjoy this shit! If you're a fan of fucking basketball, it doesn't always have to be about gripping 7-game slugfests. In the history of the game, this may well be one of the best ever assembled. Enjoy and appreciate that shit. It won't come around very often.

I said this to my son last night when he was bitching about the Warriors "super team". Lebron really helped pave the way for Durant to chase a ring. Not that it didn't happen before Lebron, but his move to Miami made other similar moves less surprising.

Melo for Thompson x Fyre x fillers
George for Thompson x Shump x fillers
Might as well try anything since both those players are leaving their teams
Thompson is gone lol

I hope Ainge isn't an idiot and trades the #1 pick

I'd trade next years nets pick for Love

I hate to break it to you, but you are still probably looking at the same finals next year, the year after that, and maybe the year after that as well.

Nothing is going to change anytime soon if these teams stay healthy and stay together..
You're not breaking anything to me. That's why I asked how long. Three year's is probably a vast underestimate barring injury.

I hope Ainge isn't an idiot and trades the #1 pick

Ainge has already said he's not trading that pick unless it's for a generational talent. That man has plans they just won't come to fruition for a few years.

as much as i'd like to see the cavs win this series, if you're fan of basketball, you should just be in awe of what the warriors are doing.

you also shouldn't take it for granted. i know it seems like this team should win like 4-5 straight titles, but these windows tend to close quickly for a myriad of reasons.

between the heat, warriors, cavs, and spurs ('14 spurs especially), this last decade has given us some incredible basketball.

selfishly i want the cavs to win 3 straight just so this series doesn't have to end, lol.

Trey

Warriors are drubbing an all time great player on a great team en route to a historic perfect playoffs run. Sports history is occurring before our eyes. I'm glad I got to see this.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Eh, that's the point where I start to agree with the "This shit sucks" posts.

Like, Rock & Austin are fantastic wrestlers but people would get tired pretty quickly if they main-evented WrestleMania like 5 years in a row.

Nah Americans just love it when the underdog wins.

They also like competition. So when the warriors crush everyone by 20 and make it look so easy, well it pisses people off.

If they like competition they probably shouldn't be watching the nba which has been a top heavy league for it's entire existence.

#3. That they're having this sort of trouble now doesn't suddenly mean that TT/Smith/Love/etc are absolute shit now.

I maintain TT and JR. Smith are shit regardless of what has or will happen in upcoming years. The TT and JR. Smith have no business commanding contracts like that with their skill set and if Lebron didn't pressure management into resigning them the Cavs would actually have sone flexibility instead of basically dead cap space.

They pay TT $20m a year to get rebounds and play defense and the dude can't do either against top teams. So then what is his purpose. There is a reason JR Smith has been tossed around. Terrible ball IQ. And further more, these guys ride Lebron's wave. They can't do anything without Lebron on the court. These guys are seriously flawed players worth half their current value at the time of their signing. Even less now.

I maintain TT and JR. Smith are shit regardless of what has or will happen in upcoming years. The TT and JR. Smith have no business commanding contracts like that with their skill set and if Lebron didn't pressure management into resigning them the Cavs would actually have sone flexibility instead of basically dead cap space.

They pay TT $20m a year to get rebounds and play defense and the dude can't do either against top teams. So then what is his purpose. There is a reason JR Smith has been tossed around. Terrible ball IQ. And further more, these guys ride Lebron's wave. They can't do anything without Lebron on the court. These guys are seriously flawed players worth half their current value at the time of their signing. Even less now.

This is what LeBron does. He makes sure that his "boys" get paid, regardless of what they actually deserve. It's a little late to be mad about this kind of thing. It's why he left the Heat. Pat Riley wouldn't give in to his demands, while Dan Gilbert is happy to gape his asshole for LeBron and company.

LionPride

Banned
To be fair, Dirk never got to play with other future Hall of Famers like Robinson, Ginobili, Parker, Aldridge and Kawhi. Frankly, I'd put Dirk's 2011 championship with Jason Terry as their second best player vs the Heat as a more impressive run than any of Duncan's championship.
Nooooo

Timmy played like a fucking beast in his earlier championship days

yuraya

Next year the Warriors are gonna go 74-8 during the regular season and go 16-0 in the post season. They'll be even better and more experienced as they play together longer.

And the salt will be even more glorious than it is now.

I have no problems with the Warriors dominating the next few years...they are seriously fun to watch. I'd rather witness the best basketball I've seen in 20-some years than to have a bunch teams play shitty statue ISO ball competitively. This sport has evolved from the stagnant, slow game from the previous era and it is better for it. To see the offensive creativity and tremendous defensive skill on display by teams like the Warriors and Spurs keeps the NBA watchable, not kill it.

To be fair, Dirk never got to play with other future Hall of Famers like Robinson, Ginobili, Parker, Aldridge and Kawhi. Frankly, I'd put Dirk's 2011 championship with Jason Terry as their second best player vs the Heat as a more impressive run than any of Duncan's championship.

TIL, Aldridge and Leonard are already HOF caliber, especially Aldridge.

rambis

Banned
Americans are funny.

You man really hate when a team dominates huh.
Eh most Americans are bandwagoners that will hop on whatever the newest wave is. Warriors are not an unpopular team by any stretch of the word.

Its generally basketball purists that hate the Warriors for obvious reasons.

Next year the Warriors are gonna go 74-8 during the regular season and go 16-0 in the post season. They'll be even better and more experienced as they play together longer.

my guess is they do neither but probably win again.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
What a game. James and Irving were magnificent...maybe the best I've ever seen either of them. The rest of the Cavs played well (yes Love wasn't hitting shots but he was doing some great work on the boards and kept the floor spread). The Warriors just have too much and it comes at you too fast. Draymond didn't play well by his standards (looked like he was too amped) but Curry/Durant/Thompson created problems all over the floor. Pachulia was awful although he did decent work keeping TT off the boards - there might be potential upgrades for the Warriors at the center position next year for someone looking to take a haircut to get a ring.

I keep seeing articles that say "LeBron/Irving need more help!" and then go on to mention possible trades/free agents that help them offensively...that is not their problem. You could throw Melo or Westbrook on to this team (or both for that matter) and that wouldn't help them score more or stop the Warriors. What we're seeing is a change in the way basketball is played - this is Kasparov v. Deep Blue or a single server versus a distributed system.

Lebron should cut his pay check and tell guys like Tristan and JR to do the same. Get rid of the super old guys who do nothing and then draft
Demarcus Cousins
and they can beat the Warriors next year.

Undefined

absolutely brutal loss for the cavs.

Lebron and Kyrie were amazing, but they got too tired at the end. They both played like 45+ minutes. Too bad KLove was trash. Bricking everything.

Gotta forget about this game, and somehow be even better in game 4.

tumblr_no9d35J0qA1rv5j9yo1_500.gif

absolutely brutal loss for the cavs.

Lebron and Kyrie were amazing, but they got too tired at the end. They both played like 45+ minutes. Too bad KLove was trash. Bricking everything.

Gotta forget about this game, and somehow be even better in game 4.
The problem is that the Warriors can play even better and hit another gear. Green was just ok, KD can play a bit better, and Curry still hasn't exploded for 35+ once in this series. Curry going supernova probably puts them at undisputed GOAT level for a game if it happens in g4.

SO I guess it's all up to Silvers if they league wants to give the Warriors the streak and let them win out, or if they want to draw it out to 7 games for additional TV/venue revenue.

Well they tried really hard to give the Cavs the win lastnight. It was so blatantly obvious how one-sided the officiating was lastnight. With all the veterans on the Cavs do they all come to play in game 4 and play for pride? Or do they just half ass it because they know the series is already over and just take an early vacation and delay the inevitable Finals loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom