• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

LeGM gets to handpick his team for 10+ years now and he about to get swept for the 2nd time in the finals. And he got bailed out by unbelievable 3 point shots in 2 of his 3 championship reigns along with a lot of other fortunate events. He has been handed everything on a silver platter since he entered the league so yea lets make excuses for him when he scores 11 total points in 3 straight 4 quarters of these finals.

Cracklox

You don't have to be good to be the best on your team. You just have to be the best of a crappy bunch!

Like D-Will on the Nets!

lol. That actually sums up one or two 6th grade YMCA teams I played for years ago. Don't look at me to score a bunch every night!

I felt like AI at the sixers. Similarly undersized, except I preferred to pass, but I had no scoring ability or talent, no tattoo's and/or arm-sleeves either, and I actually liked to practice. The folks at the YMCA were nice and seemed to like me too, unlike AI and his relationship with the people hosting his games. I also haven't recorded an unreleased rap album, but other then that there were some similarities.

If anyone wants me to keep reliving my glory days, to avert the conversation from KD/LeBron/MJ, superteams etc etc etc, ask away. More then happy to oblige

I think the Cavs need to trade Love for a George/Butler type player. Or at least acquire a wing player that can check Durant and not gas LeBron. For as talented as the Cavs are, the roster is surprisingly unequipped to slow down Durant or Curry.

Cracklox is better than MJ.

I think the Cavs need to trade Love for a George/Butler type player. Or at least acquire a wing player that can check Durant and not gas LeBron. For as talented as the Cavs are, the roster is surprisingly unequipped to slow down Durant or Curry.

Why would either the Bulls or Pacers make that trade for Love?

Great game. kD was amazing and Klay erupted.
Steph had 1 turnover.

Cavs gave everything and got their soul crushed.
Same story next year.

scoobs

The narrative from all these sports writers is KD is the obvious Finals MVP, but I feel like Steph has been the better all around player. Going to be interesting to see who wins it, because I honestly can't decide.

CDV13

LeGM gets to handpick his team for 10+ years now and he about to get swept for the 2nd time in the finals. And he got bailed out by unbelievable 3 point shots in 2 of his 3 championship reigns along with a lot of other fortunate events. He has been handed everything on a silver platter since he entered the league so yea lets make excuses for him when he scores 11 total points in 3 straight 4 quarters of these finals.

Jesus Christ, you are delusional. This is the best basketball team that has ever been assembled. They lucked out they paid Steph a shit contract, and Klay/Draymond are on trash contracts as well. The TV deal allowed KD to have a shot at coming to this team. Cavs would have won another trophy if the Warriors didn't add KD and you know it. Get outta here with this trash. And lol he had a triple double in this game and Kyrie was going off, you don't understand the flow of the game obviously. If you are gonna talk basketball, at least know what the fuck you are talkin about.

Cracklox is better than MJ.

Why would either the Bulls or Pacers make that trade for Love?

I assume the Cavs would have to throw in more, or trade for a lesser player in that mold. Although looking at a list of top SF's there's not much to choose from that would make an impact after Hayward. And I assume they won't be able to do some sort of sign and trade for him.

Did anyone see Curry taunting after the KD shot? I thought it was pretty hilarious that he "took a shit" on the Cavs.

They were going to be capped out regardless, they were better off signing their guys and making Gilbert pay more in tax instead of just letting them walk.

That totally escaped my mind. Maybe they could've worked the previous contracts better? Or is the trio taking up that much space?

The narrative from all these sports writers is KD is the obvious Finals MVP, but I feel like Steph has been the better all around player. Going to be interesting to see who wins it, because I honestly can't decide.

KD's defense makes him the MVP. Especially in games 1 and 2. No knock on Curry, but KD's help D as well as initial D on guys like Love has been outstanding.

But people often forget defense when thinking about these things.

I agree about Steph having a better overall game for game 2 but all around for the series?

Cant see that.

Butler's one of the best man defenders in the league but he can't guard KD.
Too tall.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Yeah, draft one fucking incredible player and it can be argued that you either lucked into it or were "forced" into it (Cleveland drafting LeBron is the prime example of this). Draft two? Ok, maybe you got really lucky. THREE? No, you are drafting well. You don't just by luck draft three franchise changing stars within a couple of years between each other.

They also drafted Harrison Barnes, a max player despite the disastrous performance in the Finals last year.

mjp2417

Banned
I assume the Cavs would have to throw in more, or trade for a lesser player in that mold. Although looking at a list of top SF's there's not much to choose from that would make an impact after Hayward. And I assume they won't be able to do some sort of sign and trade for him.
They really don't have any other assets to make the deal work. Like, their most valuable trade asset after Love is probably Iman Shumpert. And anyone below Paul George tier doesn't really move the needle. They built a roster to compete with the 2016 Warriors. No one can build a roster to compete with the 2017 Warriors.

Sign and trades essentially don't exist anymore as far as I know.

The Cavs have nothing to trade.

The only player that can be argued as luck in the draft is Draymond....i think anyone drafted in the 2nd round is considered a crap shoot and at least somewhat lucky if they pan out really well.

Curry, Klay, and HB (ehhhh) were smart picks....the only thing lucky about any of those was that Steph was still on the board when Ws picked.

Gorillaz

They really don't have any other assets to make the deal work. Like, their most valuable trade asset after Love is probably Iman Shumpert. And anyone below Paul George tier doesn't really move the needle. They built a roster to compete with the 2016 Warriors. No one can build a roster to compete with the 2017 Warriors.
Pretty much which is why everyone next year and going forward till otherwise will be tanking

yuraya

Jesus Christ, you are delusional. This is the best basketball team that has ever been assembled. They lucked out they paid Steph a shit contract, and Klay/Draymond are on trash contracts as well. The TV deal allowed KD to have a shot at coming to this team. Cavs would have won another trophy if the Warriors didn't add KD and you know it. Get outta here with this trash. And lol he had a triple double in this game and Kyrie was going off, you don't understand the flow of the game obviously. If you are gonna talk basketball, at least know what the fuck you are talkin about.

flow of the game seems to be..

LeBron doesn't need to score in the 4th because the Warriors are too good.

Last year in game 7 when Warriors went scoreless in the last 4 min everyone talked shit about Curry being fraud and LeBron being goat. This year when Cavs go scoreless in last 3 min (despite having 6 point lead)..everyone saying "LeBron did everything he could..He is still the greatest evahh"

No one wants to criticize LeBron for not showing up when his team needs him the most I guess.

Pretty sure he's tired because the Cavs have no way to maintain momentum once Lebron gets on the bench, so he's forced to play 40+ mins to make sure the Cavs don't blow leads and get into a run that they might not be able to get out of. It's not like Miami Heat 4ths where the Heat had an identity issues as to whether DWade would take the clutch shots or of Lebron would, and even when Lebron does, he choked.

Can't speak about the other stuff (MJ playing), but I doubt he had to play 40+ consistently for the Bulls given the quality of the team.

Michael Jordan through his entire career in the playoffs never played less then 40 minutes per game and his average for his entire career in the playoffs is 41.8 minutes per game. Jordan logged a lot of minutes.

Minnesota you're our only hope.

Towns, Wiggins and Dunn must make a huge leap this offseason and become All-NBA Elite talents while adding a Top 5 player who's willing to work for a ring and not ride the coat tails of a previous champion.

Minnesota you're our only hope.

Towns, Wiggins and Dunn must make a huge leap this offseason and become All-NBA Elite talents while adding a Top 5 player who's willing to work for a ring and not ride the coat tails of a previous champion.

I don't know if Dunn is going to be the starting point guard of the team to eventually bring down the Warriors.

the.acl

wJxg3Sx.png

Cracklox

No one wants to criticize LeBron for not showing up when his team needs him the most I guess.

He's been criticized for this most of his career actually. It just cooled of a little after he won a few rings. It's the one thing that's flawed when you compare his game to the very best. ie, MJ

Jarmel

Banned
Both Kyrie and Lebron sounded defeated in their postgame conferences. Kyrie looked close to crying and Lebron just seems exhausted. This felt like Cleveland's best punch.

You can, but it means a more nuanced approach and not just slapdashing players into a team like LeGM and the Cavs have been doing. It starts from coaching and tactics and then working your way around what players would best suit the plays and system you want to execute. That's why Golden State became such a strong team in the first place, and why they're even stronger with the addition of Kevin Durant. It's no longer enough to build a team based on just 3pt/perimeter shooting, you have to take overall team defense into account too.

mjp2417

Banned
flow of the game seems to be..

LeBron doesn't need to score in the 4th because the Warriors are too good.

Last year in game 7 when Warriors went scoreless in the last 4 min everyone talked shit about Curry being fraud and LeBron being goat. This year when Cavs go scoreless in last 3 min (despite having 6 point lead)..everyone saying "LeBron did everything he could..He is still the greatest evahh"

The people who thought Steph Curry was a fraud and choker were stupid. The people who think LeBron James is a fraud and choker are stupid. The solution to dumb hot takes isn't to pile up more lazy hot takes on top of already lukewarm hot takes. Steph had a rough finals last year in large part because he probably wasn't at full speed. LeBron's team is losing this year to the better team. This isn't complicated stuff.

otapnam

People here still trying to talk shit about the warriors being lucky when the Cavs had 3 number one picks over a 4 year period.

mjp2417

Banned
You can, but it means a more nuanced approach and not just slapdashing players into a team like LeGM and the Cavs have been doing. It starts from coaching and tactics and then working your way around what players would best suit the plays and system you want to execute. That's why Golden State became such a strong team in the first place, and why they're even stronger with the addition of Kevin Durant. It's no longer enough to build a team based on just 3pt/perimeter shooting, you have to take overall team defense into account too.

OK, take the summer 2014 Cavs roster (pre-Love/Wiggins trade) and build a team that will eventually beat the 2017 Warriors. I'm not seeing it outside of silly hindsight is 20/20 things like trade for Giannis.

Cracklox

Guys, if Kwame Brown, Greg Oden and Sam Bowie were all in next years draft, if you were the Cavs who would you trade to get one of those guys and which one? LeBron for his big bro? JR and $500 for Kwame? Its tough

The people who thought Steph Curry was a fraud and choker were stupid. The people who think LeBron James is a fraud and choker are stupid. The solution to dumb hot takes isn't to pile up more lazy hot takes on top of already lukewarm hot takes. Steph had a rough finals last year in large part because he probably wasn't at full speed. LeBron's team is losing this year to the better team. This isn't complicated stuff.

But.....but the hot-takes are funny? Your post while extremely logical, isn't amusing and not one of the reasons I keep my eye on this thread

random25

The biggest thing to happen to the Warriors is the arrival of Steve Kerr. I don't think any other coach would have made this much of a change, especially in the system and culture the Warriors are currently enjoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom