• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

phanphare

Banned
You think Curry is a good defender? I must be blind. Unless you think Kyrie is even worse, which could be true. lol

kyrie is even worse, yes

and curry is a really smart defender which masks his size. his defense this series has been really great considering the cavs have been trying to hunt for him with screens and he's been able to mitigate that to some degree.

I thought the whole point of firing Brooks was to adopt a more efficient system. Didn't happen. Is that Donovan's fault, or Durant's, or Westbrook's? Well, Durant is the one who moved away to find a better fit, so.

All of the above, plus you forgot to mention Sam Presti. I'm sure Donovan would have loved to adopt a more free-flowing system, but it's hard to do that with the roster they had in 2015-16. As brilliant as Presti was in his first few years in OKC, he's pretty much shit the bed since.

CBS Sports NBA @CBSSportsNBA

Rip Hamilton believes the 2004 Pistons would beat this Warriors team

As a fan of that 2004 Pistons team, I can unequivocally say that Rip Hamilton is.....very wrong.

giphy.gif
Lol this is perfect!

Ben Wallace is Thompson , a dying breed of centers that can't shoot
He'd be taken out of the paint and destroyed
Draymond vs Sheed would be hilarious , ejections every game
KD vs Tayshaun
Billups vs Curry
Klay vs Rip

I'd still take Warriors over Pistons

VeeP

CBS Sports NBA @CBSSportsNBA

Rip Hamilton believes the 2004 Pistons would beat this Warriors team

Probably one of my favorite all time teams. Dudes defeated the 2004 Superteam Lakers. Pistons shook Shaq so badly he left the Lakers. But I don't think they'd be able to take the Dubs.

Also this asterisk talk is just silly.

Rip just trying to remind people that 2004 Pistons existed

They ended the Shaq-Kobe era, how could you forget them lol. Isn't that what people wanted from this years Finals? Underdogs vs Overpowered squad and the underdogs taking it?

Ben Wallace is Thompson , a dying breed of centers that can't shoot
He'd be taken out of the paint and destroyed
Draymond vs Sheed would be hilarious , ejections every game
KD vs Tayshaun
Billups vs Curry
Klay vs Rip

I'd still take Warriors over Pistons

Sheed and Draymond would be great haha.

NBA.com @NBAcom

"If I become an owner, I'm going to try to sign everybody" -- @KingJames

Here's the thing. NBA can be mad about how things played out with the warriors and what not but their biggest star and money maker has set presidence to what the NBA is today.

There would be no KD to Warriors if LeBron didn't get that train rolling of making super teams. LeBrons legacy on this league can be looked at as great, bad or both depending on how ones perception is on everything.

The one thing though is that players SHOULD have free will to do whatever the f*ck they want and sign wherever they please to knowing that with that comes scrutiny and despise.

Curry is a solid PG defender. He's not all-NBA defense caliber but he's certainly a net positive on that end.

As others mentioned, his help defense is really good (that's his elite skill on that end) and penchant for getting in those passing lanes to get steals. He doesn't get a ton of steals off bad gambles as other players do.

His frame is his weakness so while he has solid footwork, he can be shot over or bullied more often than others. But, again, he's a net positive on defense.

The Curry-Klay-Iggy-Durant-Green lineup is by far and away the most dynamic defensive lineup in modern NBA history. I've never seen anything like it.

For fuck's sake, in the first 2 games the Cavs...a historically great offense, was decimated. Last night the Cavs hung some points up, but the truth is it took amazing offense from Lebron and Kyrie to pull that off. A lot of that was not generated from great looks but rather simply those two making tough shots. They're amazing offensive weapons and that will happen from time to time but it's not sustainable.

For all the talk about the Warriors offense, obviously warranted, it's their defense that is truly superb. Your only chance is to have five offensive weapons out there at all times. Unfortunately, no team has 5 guys like that that play defense, too. So you're boned.

Brinbe

RIP, c'mon dude... You can put this Dubs team up against most past winners and they'd probably come out ahead most times just due to their huge advantage from 3.

How is Detroit (or most any team, really) gonna handle a Curry/Thompson/Iggy/Dray/KD unit?

phanphare

Banned
I love how this warriors team has these old players feeling a certain type of way about their basketball masculinity. seems like people are lining up to be like "nah, not us." dray laughing at magic's claim is about the most reasonable response.

Gorillaz

Your heroes growing up are out here trying to remind people they still exist

Warriors might have that deathgrip on the league. Silver lost.

TTG

Curry is a solid PG defender. He's not all-NBA defense caliber but he's certainly a net positive on that end.

boop.

Curry tries and he's smart. It's the same reason he's been getting rebounds in this series, no one is boxing him out... cause it's Steph, but he tries.

What was the popular argument? Who is the better defender, Curry or Westbrook. And of course it's Westbrook if he's committed and stays focused. In other words, YNB's ceiling is much higher, but he almost never gets there, while Curry is doing the right thing almost always and turning the other team over when he can. He's alright.

Jarmel

Banned
You need all four of those guys to make it work and ranking is ultimately worthless, but man I feel Dray does not get his due because his impact is not as apparent because it is in boards, assists and most importantly his insanely good defense.
He'll get his dues when he wins DPOY. Let's be real, all four are likely to be in the hall of fame when everything is said and done.

RedAssedApe

Banned
boop.

Curry tries and he's smart. It's the same reason he's been getting rebounds in this series, no one is boxing him out... cause it's Steph, but he tries.

What was the popular argument? Who is the better defender, Curry or Westbrook. And of course it's Westbrook if he's committed and stays focused. In other words, YNB's ceiling is much higher, but he almost never gets there, while Curry is doing the right thing almost always and turning the other team over when he can. He's alright.

can't wait til the sweep is done so that trophy can be shopped in

bionic77

The 04 Pistons were a very good team but I am not even sure they beat the Lakers if Malone was healthy.

That injury really killed us.

They ain't got nothing on the Warriors. Even a member of the Pistons should have enough sense not to bring that up.

Edit: 2001 Lakers is probably a legit comparison. I think whoever has home court wins that series.

boop.

Who is the better defender, Curry or Westbrook.

They're different. Westbrook has horrible habits: sags off of his man too far and too often, gets caught having fallen asleep too often, and overplays passing lanes too aggressively at times, leaving his teammates to scramble to try and make up for it. However- he actually does a pretty good job on the ball and in straight one-on-one situations, especially in the paint, even against bigger guys. Even when giving up size, he's not generally giving up strength or certainly not athleticism.

Curry's like the exact opposite. Has good habits, is a solid team defender, very crafty and aware of what's happening all over the court. But he just doesn't have the frame or the athleticism to hold up if isolated or if switched onto a big.

I'd have to vote for Curry on this one, simply because he's maximizing what he's got to work with and doesn't put his team in tough spots on a regular basis. Westbrook really has no excuse not to be a much better team defender than he is.

Nafai1123

Banned
Listening to Lue from last night, it sounds like he was completely out of his element. I mean...you can't even remember what happened? It's your fucking job as coach to know how to handle the last 2 minutes. If you can't do that your not doing your job. Should've been yelling at Irving to go 2-for-1 after KD's 3, and should've been yelling at his guys to foul after Irving missed, especially when Curry stupidly passed to Dray before he got it to KD. Clock management at the end was absolutely abysmal for the Cavs.

Edit: 2001 Lakers is probably a legit comparison. I think whoever has home court wins that series.

2001 Lakers is the only team I think could legit beat the Warriors, but even then it would be such a fuck shit fuck kind of series because there just isn't anyone like Shaq around today. He would dunk all over the Warriors, but the Warriors would rain 3s all over him. It really could go either way.

2001 Lakers is the only team I think could legit beat the Warriors, but even then it would be such a fuck shit fuck kind of series because there just isn't anyone like Shaq around today. He would dunk all over the Warriors, but the Warriors would rain 3s all over him. It really could go either way.

2001 lakers is the only conceivable team that has a chance, IMO. Kobe was playing at an unreal level in those playoffs but the reality is that Shaq was unstoppable and this Warriors team doesn't have the bodies for him at all.

The Warriors could easily be in major foul trouble. You can't go "small" against prime Shaq. And the perimeter dudes could hit shots.

Honestly, I don't know how it would play out. I think that version of Shaq could be the trump card but who knows? I think this Warriors team defeats any other team.

Any Bulls team is a perfect fit because of the defensive players they had. I know they had a great scorer in MJ, but they were first and foremost a great defensive team.

Lakers as well, and any team that can pound them inside. Celtics frontline would be a nightmare for anyone.

But every team is beatable, as we saw last season.

Honestly, I don't know how it would play out. I think that version of Shaq could be the trump card but who knows? I think this Warriors team defeats any other team.

I couldn't rule the 96 Bulls out at all, either. It would all depend on which team Steve Kerr wanted to put more effort into, I guess. That's assuming some wacky paradox-induced dark matter tunnel didn't swallow the whole arena after trying to reconcile the same guy being both on the floor for one team and on the sideline for the other...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom