• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shump and JR combined make about $21M this year. The current going rate for a roll player is in the 15-20M range now. Their salaries aren't stopping the Cavs from winning a title, it's the all time great team they're competing against.
Crazy that someone like Seth Curry was gotten for like 3 mil.

Shump and JR combined make about $21M this year. The current going rate for a roll player is in the 15-20M range now. Their salaries aren't stopping the Cavs from winning a title, it's the all time great team they're competing against.

True, but they're not helping them either. They provide mostly negative value and they take up cap space. There's very little that could have been done to stop the Warriors, but this is not a good enough reason to tie yourself up with Iman, JR and Tristan. The second Lebron slows down a little bit, this current Cavs team is done.

It is. The Cavs starters are all locked up for a long time, for better or worse.
2oip3FP.png

That is crazy every starter on the Cavs is making more then Steph Curry. Lebron is making at least double and close to three times as much as Curry.

True, but they're not helping them either. They provide mostly negative value and they take up cap space. There's very little that could have been done to stop the Warriors, but this is not a good enough reason to tie yourself up with Iman, JR and Tristan. The second Lebron slows down a little bit, this current Cavs team is done.

If you could just amnesty all three of those guys they would still only have about $4m in cap room. If LeBron slows down it doesn't really matter who you have, the Cavs have no shot at the Warriors.

That is crazy every starter on the Cavs is making more then Steph Curry. Lebron is making at least double and close to three times as much as Curry.

It's not crazy since he took a below market deal under the old CBA when he was injury prone.

Those contracts are good if Thompson puts up his usual numbers and JR goes on a streak more than 2x in the playoffs. Unfortunately it seems like JR might be headed toward permanent trash and Shumpert isn't better. Thompson also apparently has lost the ability to compete against the warriors. So it does really depend on how you look at it. Things look dire to actually be able to sign another star and give them any shot

Ouch!!!

Peter Vecsey @PeterVecsey1

It occurs to me, Derek Fisher has now banged two things that do/did belong to Matt Barnes...
6:48 PM · Jun 8, 2017

Anticol

Banned
It is. The Cavs starters are all locked up for a long time, for better or worse.
2oip3FP.png

Well if Lebron keeps crying bout his teammates why not taking a paycheck cut to where curry is rn and get another all star on the roster.

Oh right he will never do that.

Well if Lebron keeps crying bout his teammates why not taking a paycheck cut to where curry is rn and get another all star on the roster.

Why would he? Curry didn't and he definitely won't take more than a minimal cut from what he should be getting this offseason.

He shouldn't. Because he's not an idiot. Call me next time you take a pay cut at work to save your boss a few bucks.

He did it before and got 2 chips out of it.

Curry and KD will do it now and possibly get more.

It's all about what matters most. Chips matter to Curry and Durant.
lol this team, as presently constructed, would not be together if curry did not have ankle issues early in his career.

but sure, i guess they want it more?

My Next Prediction:
130-100 Warriors
I feel lazy but I think Warriors want to sweep and they want to win big.

Let's see if this is also my last prediction!

lol this team, as presently constructed, would not be together if curry did not have ankle issues early in his career.

but sure, i guess they want it more?

Sir, if they (KD and Curry) structure their deals GOING FORWARD to shave money off their contract (to provide slight cap relief, just like Wade, James and Bosh did) to keep the party going, where again does your lol fit?

Jarmel

Banned
For starters, Lebron would have to take a lot more than a 3.5 million hit to get another superstar on the team. Second of all, his position on the Player's Association won't allow it. Thirdly, KD would be taking a minor hit to his salary for a proven team while Lebron would be gambling that the new player would fit and improve the team.

Besides Curry isn't taking a hit to his salary going forward.

For starters, Lebron would have to take a lot more than a 3.5 million hit to get another superstar on the team. Second of all, his position on the Player's Association won't allow it. Thirdly, KD would be taking a minor hit to his salary for a proven team while Lebron would be gambling that the new player would fit and improve the team.

Signing TT, JR and Love to long term deals was kind of a big mistake, especially TT with his limited contributions outside of rebounding.

Also, the biggest mistake the Cavs made was, the same one the Knicks made with Melo. You wait 6 months and you could have had Love via FA AND kept Andrew Wiggins.

Jarmel

Banned
Is the cap even so much of an issue but rather which players are actually available? The Cavs need Kawhi level players to seriously compete and there aren't exactly many of those floating around.

Is the cap even so much of an issue but rather which players are actually available? The Cavs need Kawhi level players to seriously compete and there aren't exactly many of those floating around.

It couldn't hurt to have Andrew Wiggins on your team, completely cost controlled.

Who know what he might have become at this point playing along side LeBron.

LionPride

Banned
I honestly think that long term the Love deal was bad

But short term it worked

Long term, shoulda kept Maple Jordan and signed Love later because his ass ain't want to be with us anymore

Trey

They need to add another MVP level player just like that, huh? Like the Warriors pulling that off wasn't luck on a cosmic scale.

To be fair when they made that trade no one knew that Steph and the Warriors were about to go supernova.

Even still, you wouldn't want the consensus #1 overall draft pick in you hip pocket on a rookie deal?

I am on record (on this forum) lamenting the Love deal, in real time. It was shortsided decision.

They lost the first year (he was hurt) and he was banged up last year.

THEY STILL GET HIM IN FA IF THEY WAIT 6 MONTHS.

There's no way Minnesota was just letting him walk which means some other team probably makes the playoffs with Love and then offers him the max. Maybe he walks to the Cavs but who knows.

random25

I've also been saying that the Love deal was a bad trade for multiple reasons, but at the end of the day it won them 1 chip and 3 conference trophies. Most teams are lucky to even get to the finals once in a decade.

neptunes

I honestly think that long term the Love deal was bad

But short term it worked

Long term, shoulda kept Maple Jordan and signed Love later because his ass ain't want to be with us anymore
Wiggins is not the player people thought he'd be, he's very passive

There's no way Minnesota was just letting him walk which means some other team probably makes the playoffs with Love and then offers him the max. Maybe he walks to the Cavs but who knows.

IIRC, Love wanted to play with LeBron. As an UFA, he didn't have to sign with whoever the Wolves would have traded him to.

I would imagine people like Magic Johnson saw those examples (Melo and Love) and said, "Naw, we can wait for FA to go after Paul George."

IIRC, Love wanted to play with LeBron. As an UFA, he didn't have to sign with whoever the Wolves would have traded him to.

I would imagine people like Magic Johnson saw those examples (Melo and Love) and said, "Naw, we can wait for FA to go after Paul George."

I'm sure a lot of guys want to play with LeBron but it's still quite rare for stars to turn down max deals. The safe money would have been on Love signing with whatever team he was traded to as long as they were at least a playoff team.

so the two of them combined are worth one Harrison Barnes?

If you could just amnesty all three of those guys they would still only have about $4m in cap room. If LeBron slows down it doesn't really matter who you have, the Cavs have no shot at the Warriors.

Not saying that these four guys are what's keeping Cleveland from getting a 4th star or something, it's just that they could have better role players. These guys provide negative value. Cutting them and just playing someone slightly better is by itself a huge upgrade.

I'm talking mainly about Iman and JR. Frye and Tristan are overpaid and will get exposed when they're facing good big men like Green and (yes) Durant, but they're not too bad. Iman and JR are historically inept.

Andrew fucking Wiggins? Come on.

You guys remember what the Cavs did worked right? They won a championship, they're not looking down the road because LeBron's peak is fading.

And again, the 73-9 Warriors who lost in Game 7 of the finals added the second best player on earth. If KD ain't there I'm sure this series goes 6 or 7 again and you're not talking about how the Cavs mortgaged their future. These Warriors were a once in a generation team that somehow got demonstrably better. It's unprecedented.

I'm sure a lot of guys want to play with LeBron but it's still quite rare for stars to turn down max deals. The safe money would have been on Love signing with whatever team he was traded to as long as they were at least a playoff team.

I forget. Did Cleveland get Love's Bird rights in the trade?

Not saying that these four guys are what's keeping Cleveland from getting a 4th star or something, it's just that they could have better role players. These guys provide negative value. Cutting them and just playing someone slightly better is by itself a huge upgrade.

I'm talking mainly about Iman and JR. Frye and Tristan are overpaid and will get exposed when they're facing good big men like Green and (yes) Durant, but they're not too bad. Iman and JR are historically inept.

My point was that they were essentially capped out already, they could have let JR and Shump go to save some of Gilberts money but they weren't going to get any decent replacements.

I forget. Did Cleveland get Love's Bird rights in the trade?

Yeah, that's why it was never realistic that he would leave despite how sad he looked in his first year.

BadAss2961

I don't see it like that, these guys are basically trash (especially JR and Iman) and their salaries make it hard for the Cavs to upgrade on any position. The Cavs are where they are because they have 3 ridiculously talented players, one of them being the best player of his generation playing possibly the best ball of his career. That's what got them the title. The shit supporting cast is what will hold them from seriously challenging for another.
It's really not a shit supporting cast though. The Warriors are just good... Was last year's Warriors no longer legit because Barnes, Ezeli, and Varejao were trash in the Finals? Nah.

This Cleveland roster cakewalked through the East with everyone in rotation playing lights out. They're better off than every team but one.

Wiggins has been a huge disappointment. Terrible efficiency and a defensive liability. KAT needs to jet from Minnesota first chance he gets.

bionic77

LeBron left Miami at the perfect time and after his first two years he made two finals and split with an all time great team.

I think the Cavs did a good job.

They could not have planned for KD. It's not like the Warriors planned this all out 4 years ago.

Sometimes the other team is better and sometimes that is the result of some lucky breaks.

Andrew Wiggins is also 21 fucking years old and has more than enough time to grow and he averaged 24 points this season so...

People seem to forget that one and done essentially causes NBA players to play their sophomore, junior and senior years in the league.

Lakers should have cut bait with Kobe after his first couple of years on the bench behind Eddie Jones.

LionPride

Banned
People seem to forget that one and done essentially causes NBA players to play their sophomore, junior and senior years in the league.

Lakers should have cut bait with Kobe after his first couple of years on the bench behind Eddie Jones.
Also the fact Wiggins should most definitely be playing SG over SF but whatever

Man's 21 years young and is gonna develop well. He and Jabari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom