• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak for every 4th Lebrons had, but is it possible the dude is just tired? How much rest does he get? How much does he sit on the bench? How much points does he score, who does he defend, etc. Dude was probably almost invisible in the 4th because he's gassed. Did MJ play continuously like Lebron? Did Kobe? How much more depth did those teams have comepared to Lebrons? These are honest questions.

It's likely he was tired, and that's perfectly understandable given he's been really putting the Cavs on his back in each of these three Finals. However, while he is different than MJ and Kobe, it's important to note that all three were incredible two way players. Furthermore, while being tired is an explanation for some of LeBron's 4th quarter struggles his mindset is also a key factor - sometimes he just tries to make the right play by passing to the open man, sometimes he tries to just get the ball out of his hand. But just to be clear, what I find interesting is the fact that LeBron has earned the reputation of not being clutch (and at times shrinking) yet we've seen him be extremely clutch and hit game winning shots, and that dichotomy is both intriguing and difficult to comprehend.

As for depth, I mean LeBron is playing alongside two All-Stars, one of which can get his shot anytime he wants. He has a decent collection of role players. Generally speaking most of them haven't shown up in the Finals, but this notion that the Cavs don't have depth is a scapegoat to me.

The Bulls and Lakers were pretty comparable, 2-3 perennial All-Stars, 2-3 really good role players, and 2-3 capable role players.

Fjordson

Nxq2Bm.gif

Edit: Also

VmBkxo.gif
Man I forgot about that steal.

Curry's been battling his ass off on defense and in the paint these playoffs. Sometimes he'll get pinned by bigger guys like Richard Jefferson or Love and he still manages to fight around and front the post.

CDV13

Westbrook being the reason why. Like I've said before, Durant winning FMVP and Westbrook winning regular season MVP would be a perfect microcosm of their playing styles and mentality.

Durant lost them the WCF last year. If you don't see that, you are delusional.

Fjordson

Draymond needs to stay on the court next game, too many silly fouls. Cavs only posting a 98.6 offensive rtg when Draymond is on the court (jumps up to 123.6 when he's off).

Also, ABC says last night's game 3 ratings were up 14%.

finowns

Just realized Curry had a backpack on in the post game press conference.. hopefully he was actually using it for function not fashion.

Draymond needs to stay on the court next game, too many silly fouls. Cavs only posting a 98.6 offensive rtg when Draymond is on the court (jumps up to 123.6 when he's off).

Also, ABC says last night's game 3 ratings were up 14%.

Highest rated Finals since Jordan's last Chip in 98

Line_HTX

"It's great for our League.

If I become an owner, I'm going to try to sign everybody."

*Chair shots BG and then Stunners for enabling superteams

FZZ

Banned
They should give Finals MVP to Lonzo Ball

Because that 19 year old kid handled media better than anyone on the Warriors AND he's going to save the league!

Westbrook being the reason why. Like I've said before, Durant winning FMVP and Westbrook winning regular season MVP would be a perfect microcosm of their playing styles and mentality.

That's a little bit unfair to Westbrook, there's nothing about his mentality that could keep him from winning FMVP. Put him in the Cavs (a team that fits his playing style) in the Kyrie role and he could be that guy.

It's not shit posting when Lonzo IS going to be the face of the league in his rookie year

Dude, why do we have to sift through your zillion cringey posts about fucking Lonzo Ball in a Finals thread. Why not make a thread about Lonzo instead of shitting up this one? Goodness.

FZZ

Banned
Dude, why do we have to sift through your zillion cringey posts about fucking Lonzo Ball in a Finals thread. Why not make a thread about Lonzo instead of shitting up this one? Goodness.

I didn't post the game of zones video

I will continue posting "cringey" shit til he is drafted and plays his first game in summer league

Worst case he will get a slow start ala Ingram. And in all honesty everyone's disdain for this damn 19 year old kid is why I support him even more. Never wanted a player to succeed more than him because some of y'all are petty af

I will continue posting "cringey" shit til he is drafted and plays his first game in summer league

Worst case he will get a slow start ala Ingram. And in all honesty everyone's disdain for this damn 19 year old kid is why I support him even more. Never wanted a player to succeed more than him because some of y'all are petty af

LOL. Settle down, champ. "Some of ya'll are petty"? I have no problem with Lonzo. He's great, and I'm sure he will have a good rookie season. I hope he does, in fact. But your obsession with this poor kid seems to find its way into every thread you post in.

FZZ

Banned
LOL. Settle down, champ. "Some of ya'll are petty"? I have no problem with Lonzo. He's great, and I'm sure he will have a good rookie season. I hope he does, in fact. But your obsession with this poor kid seems to find its way into every thread you post in.

I'm a homer, and it only finds its way in NBA threads

I'll tone it down for y'all tho

Grats to KD for finals MVP

I can't hate on his play he deserves this Chip more than anyone, he was the difference.

beat

Eric Apricot's "Explain One Play" on last night's climactic plays.

The LeBron-to-Korver play developed out of an attempt to get Curry switched on to LeBron, but the Dubs pre-switched away from that so Dray ended up on Bron. Pretty smart move IMO because the pre-switch happened as the triple screen was developing, so everyone was clustered up. Curry's subsequent switch away from JR and to Korver was a good move in theory but semi-dangerous just because of how far he and Iggy had to go to make that.

Meanwhile, KD was nominally guarding Love but was also 2.9'ing it in the paint. He was fractions of a second from having to leave the paint for a step before LeBron drove in, keeping his position legal, but then again the shot clock was winding down and I'm sure he knew LeBron had to make a move. This left Curry to front Love, not ideal, and Love smartly converted that into a screen for Korver, but Curry spun around. For Love's role here, I think the only nitpick you could have is that he could have maybe tried a little bit more holding on Curry to get Korver even more open, but that's a narrow line to walk; no one wants to be the scapegoat who lost a key possession on a dumb offensive foul.

Also, Dray's one on one defense here was really solid. Maybe a slightly reckless half-gamble for the steal but he recovered before LeBron could take advantage, and after all, they're 30+ feet out; Bron's not gonna take a shot from that far out.

Finally - yes, Curry managed to sort of contest Korver's shot, but Korver is a great, great shooter and I think it was passing it to Korver was the right move.

How was that not a foul by IIguodala in the final possession with Lebron on the baseline 3? It was clear as day.

Under NBA rules, when the ball is in the hands, "the hand is part of the ball". You can't slap the wrist or forearm, that's a foul, but swiping at the ball, including the hand, is legal.

Bread

Banned

breh the reason people are sick of Ball is because of people like his dad (and now you) that continue to act like he's the next face of the league. He's not even good enough to go 1st in the draft, chill with it.

Rambis I'm expecting your revised paper on the Finality of Choke Threshold in Currynated Pressure Systems by Friday or else I'm giving you a 0 out of 4.

Lmao. Underrated post.

I made a mathematical model of the Warriors without KD (just for this thread) and the projection is 73-9. They would actually beat the Bulls record!

I'm gonna need to see this ran in simulation. I don't believe it possible.

Most people don't have any problems with Lonzo. It's his father that people have issues with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom