• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to back to the '59-70 run of the Celtics not these small runs for a handful of years broken up over several years but a decade straight of no hope. Maybe we'll get some crazy GM to risk the future of their franchise like NJ but have it actually workout and compete with this GS squad. There maybe a short window while so many players are still under the contracts of the old TV deal. But til then it's going to be hard to care about a game you already know the outcome of. GS vs the League isn't going to be a David V Goliath story but a reign of tyranny.
the make-up of the league can change rather quickly. they certainly appear set up for at least the next 2 years but windows can sometimes close quicker than you might expect. injuries, contracts, egos, etc. none of this appears to be a problem now but doing what the spurs have done over the last 15 years is much more of an outlier than the norm.

He actually would be better suited on the Cavs squad over Kevin Love. The Cavs would've also had the cap room to bring in real help then dudes like Deron Williams and Richard Jefferson. If Wiggins were on any of the more televised teams in the league most of you haters wouldn't be spewing the nonsense you're spewing about him. Kid is definitely a stud.

They are way over the cap even if you replace Love's contract with Wiggins'. Try again. Maybe do a little research tho.

He actually would be better suited on the Cavs squad over Kevin Love. The Cavs would've also had the cap room to bring in real help then dudes like Deron Williams and Richard Jefferson. If Wiggins were on any of the more televised teams in the league most of you haters wouldn't be spewing the nonsense you're spewing about him. Kid is definitely a stud.

the cavs don't win a title with wiggins over love. that's all that matters.

And you know this because? Hand waving things away like that doesn't magically make them facts.

You look at the dynamic of the roster with out that trade and letting guys like Anthony Bennett walk and looking at the current guys on the roster now it's pretty clear. It doesn't take a genius or anyone with half a brain to figure that out. It's clear as day man, y'all just refuse to see the obvious.

You look at the dynamic of the roster with out that trade and letting guys like Anthony Bennett walk and looking at the current guys on the roster now it's pretty clear. It doesn't take a genius or anyone with half a brain to figure that out. It's clear as day man, y'all just refuse to see the obvious.

Oh yea it's so clear.

"It just would have happened don't ask me how" is such a convincing argument.

second best player in the league joined the best team in the league that won 73 games the season before and we're discussing whether or not andrew wiggins would have made a significant impact. ok

second best player in the league joined the best team in the league that won 73 games the season before and we're discussing whether or not andrew wiggins would have made a significant impact. ok

well i mean what else is there to talk about at this point

is lebron going to la? that seems to be the new thing right now

the make-up of the league can change rather quickly. they certainly appear set up for at least the next 2 years but windows can sometimes close quicker than you might expect. injuries, contracts, egos, etc. none of this appears to be a problem now but doing what the spurs have done over the last 15 years is much more of an outlier than the norm.

This. Two years ago, nobody would have believed you if you had said GS was going to be able to add Durant while keeping their core intact. It's hard to predict what will happen beyond 1-2 years in the future in this league with the amount of player movement that takes place every July.

yeah exactly, let's call the defending champs a flawed team and laugh at their free agent pickups that helped them win a championship just because the 73-9 team they beat picked up kevin durant a month later.

LeBron will go out shooting if they are down 10 plus
Or Kyrie goes Myrie mode

LeBron doesn't want to be swept in the social media world of today. He'll close his twitter account

That mentality is ridiculous. You're treating it like it's just any other year. This is a team that's been to 3 straight finals probably will go on to win three straight titles maybe drop off and still reach the finals for a couple of years. A decade of dominance the likes none of us have been around long enough to ever see in the NBA.

Killing the interest in the NBA for the next few years while this fans base enjoys theirs is different. You just don't not realize it yet.

Slow your roll, youngster. Some of us watched the 90s Bulls and saw Jordan in his prime.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
He's a solid player already, personally I don't think he's going to live up to the franchise player hype, but that doesn't make him a bust. The history of the league is littered with too many young players who didn't get better at things like efficiency and defense for me to just take for granted that Wiggins will.
He's a solid player who I'm terrified about the Wolves maxing out. Ugh.

Ya they do... KLove did squat during the title run. Wiggins would've been way more effective on that roster with all the attention going to Kyrie and Lebron...

Kevin Love is averaging 17/11 with a 61% TS% in these playoffs, and that's with having two bad Finals games. He averaged 23/12 in the ECF against Boston, shooting 53% from 3.

Wiggins is good, but he's no where close to that good yet.

Kevin Love is averaging 17/11 with a 61% TS% in these playoffs, and that's with having two bad Finals games. He averaged 23/12 in the ECF against Boston, shooting 53% from 3.

Wiggins is good, but he's no where close to that good yet.

You could have had both if you waited 6 months for Love.

LionPride

Banned
I wonder if people will put as much stock in the regular season seeing as the realize that a team like the Cavs or Warriors can just turn it on when they want to and obliterate those in their path

Although I think the Spurs Series would've been a 6 or 7 game series with Kawhi and TP healthy

Nafai1123

Banned
Every Non-Basketball Thing the Warriors Need to Do This Summer

What do Steph Curry and Draymond Green need to do? I'm all the way ready for Steph to go Full Villain next season. And I don't mean the version of Full Villain that we got from him this year where he grew a sort-of beard and started taking more and more of those Eff-You 3-pointers he's begun to favor. I want TRUE FULL VILLAIN Steph Curry. Like, maybe he cusses some rival fans out during the Warriors-Cleveland Christmas game (”Merry Christmas, bitches!" he shouts at a cluster of Cavs fans as he swishes a 3 at the end of the second quarter). Or maybe he gets an Only God Can Judge Me tattoo across his neck. Maybe he shoves Steve Kerr during a timeout of a nationally televised game and then after that he tells everyone he's decided to go by Steve Curry now. I want it. I want it all.

Likewise, we take Draymond and spin him in the opposite direction too. Give me FULL CHURCH-LOVING DRAYMOND. Give me Draymond quoting scripture in postgame press conferences, and then when someone says something like, ”Wait, aren't you the same guy who accidentally posted a picture of your penis on social media during the Olympics?" he responds with something like, ”Well, the only thing I'm accidentally posting these days is the word of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ." We need a Freaky Friday situation to happen here. That's how we make next season super-interesting.

What does Kevin Durant need to do? It feels a lot like Kevin Durant winning this championship is going to dull the tips of the petty arrows in his petty quiver. I hope that's not what happens. I hope that, following winning a ring, he just spends the whole offseason throwing it in everyone's face. Give me Instagram posts, tweets, Snapchat stories, all of it. That's all we need. We need KD to fan the flames as high as he can get them. It's the only thing that'll make him and the Warriors winning the next four or five championships any amount of enjoyable. We need him to just bask in the glow of his own greatness. And every year that they win a title, I want him to get louder and louder and more obnoxious about it. After he gets his third in a row, I want him to legally change his name to ”LeKevin Durames" and talk about how he did what LeBron couldn't. After he wins his fourth, I want him to legally change it back to Kevin Durant, and then start asking around for lawyers who specialize in naming rights because he wants to try and force Michael Jordan to have to legally change his name from Michael Jordan to ”Kevin Durant, Except Not a Four-Peat."

Much more at link.

Sephzilla

Either tonight's game will be another nail biter or a blow out.

john-madden.jpg

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
The biggest question is whether or not Curry grabs more rebounds than TT for the fourth game in a row.

Curry's rebounds in the Finals so far 29
TT's rebounds in the Finals so far 11

Khloe done fucked him up

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see a short term shift in power any team could make.

I don't think a worn down CP3 to the Spurs makes up the difference. Celtics are playing the long game. With those contracts in CLE I don't know what they can do to improve. LAC may blow it up. N.O. could be interesting if veterans flock there chasing a ring.

Maybe teams take a page from Boston and wait out the King. Griffin, Gasol, Conley, Jordan, CP3, Lowry, George maybe we'll see more All-stars on the move to build towards a future without GS.

Griss

I wonder if people will put as much stock in the regular season seeing as the realize that a team like the Cavs or Warriors can just turn it on when they want to and obliterate those in their path

Although I think the Spurs Series would've been a 6 or 7 game series with Kawhi and TP healthy

Well, as a neutral who's just in it for the entertainment I stopped watching the regular season aside from Christmas Day games about a decade ago.

The season starts in the playoffs. That's old news. The new news is that the season maybe only starts in the Finals, or maybe it never starts at all.

But yes, if this attitude spreads even further than it already is it'll be trouble for the league. Combined with the fact that the new trend of resting players really hammers home how little each regular season means and these superteams do pose a problem.

Undefined

the cavs need to sign a proven superstar if they want to beat these warriors.
this superstar has to be young but able to take over games at any moment. Offensively and defensively.
this superstar also has to be really cheap so the cavs can afford him.
they have to sign anthony bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom