• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Words

Ouch!!!

Peter Vecsey @PeterVecsey1

It occurs to me, Derek Fisher has now banged two things that do/did belong to Matt Barnes...
6:48 PM · Jun 8, 2017

His ex never belonged to him. This joke is literally equating owning a car being married and owning your wife.

TTG

Ouch!!!

Peter Vecsey @PeterVecsey1

It occurs to me, Derek Fisher has now banged two things that do/did belong to Matt Barnes...
6:48 PM · Jun 8, 2017

Isn't that dude from some official outlet? Dude went ham(and crass, not that any women are reading). I chuckled.

On Lebron and the Cavs, you guys are waaaayy too critical. They could have pulled a Dallas, winning their first title and that Warriors team on the horizon. Instead they're right there fighting and I bet it will be the same in game 4. There's no shame to losing the way they are and their team is the second best in the NBA on paper(unless you want to give Kawhi credit I don't think he has a right to) when it would have taken like 5th best to get to the finals in the East.

Andrew Wiggins is also 21 fucking years old and has more than enough time to grow and he averaged 24 points this season so...

He's a really inefficient scorer and his D was awful.

Might he grow into something? Sure, like you said, he's young, but the guy he is now isn't helping 32 year old LeBron James.

I don't know. Klay is streaky, but plays great defense. Not only does he make it tough for guys like Kyrie to score. It also allows Curry to save his energy for offense, since he is as bad as Kyrie defensively.

Either way, all 4 are important.

How can anyone think Curry is a bad defender like Kyrie after watching basketball the past 3 years let alone this alone these NBA finals?

Is he the guy he is now if he's on the Cava under LeBron?

Maybe he's better, maybe he's worse. Who knows. Everyone expected him to take a step forward under Thibs and all he did was shoot like Rudy Gay and play shit defense, so I don't think you can automatically assume he'd be more advanced under Bron's tutelage.

If Jabari Parker didn't have knees made of paper mache, "Jabari should have been the number 1 pick" would be a legitimate take. He's the better player when healthy, he's just hardly ever healthy.

TTG

I think Love is a better fit, he's just been hurt in the finals every time. I suppose they could have thrown Wiggins on KD, but who could have seen that back then?

This take is too hot so I'll tag it:
They really could have used Waiters.

LionPride

Banned
If Jabari Parker didn't have knees made of paper mache, "Jabari should have been the number 1 pick" would be a legitimate take. He's the better player when healthy, he's just hardly ever healthy.
I can agree there

I'll give Wiggins a few more years before I write him off as an inefficient scorer

beat

It's really not a shit supporting cast though. The Warriors are just good... Was last year's Warriors no longer legit because Barnes, Ezeli, and Varejao were trash in the Finals? Nah.
My doubts about the Cavs aren't based on these finals but on the whole regular season. Going into it, wasn't LeBron going to play less minutes? He's been playing less intense minutes, I guess, but that's it as far as resting LeBron more goes. And that says something about the rest of the team.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Those of you complaining about the finals makeup looking the same for the next few years, are you not rooting, as fans, for your own teams to always make it? It's not like you suddenly stop rooting for them just short of the finals series because you want the finals to have different teams every time. You'd want your team to be there 100% of the time if they could.

The complaints really don't make sense to me.

Those of you complaining about the finals makeup looking the same for the next few years, are you not rooting, as fans, for your own teams to always make it? It's not like you suddenly stop rooting for them just short of the finals series because you want the finals to have different teams every time. You'd want your team to be there 100% of the time if they could.

The complaints really don't make sense to me.
Not really hard to wrap your head around rooting for any other team than GS is in vain. Kind of takes the fun of it when you're inevitably going to fail. Do you root for Storm Troppers to hit their mark or Putties to beat the shit out of the Power Rangers?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Not really hard to wrap your head around rooting for any other team than GS is in vain. Kind of takes the fun of it when you're inevitably going to fail. Do you root for Storm Troppers to hit their mark or Putties to beat the shit out of the Power Rangers?

That's not the point I made at all. What team are you a fan of? I'm assuming not Golden State. But whatever team it is, let's assume they ramp up their team in the off season and make it to the next few finals. You're not going to be complaining, are you? Now other people who are fans of others teams are going to be assed out while you bask in the fact that your favorite team is now making it to the finals.

It's hypocritical, frankly. You'll never say that your own team is "too good" and that they should perform worse next season, even if it might be their third or fourth consecutive finals appearance, because as a fan you'll always want them to make it.

If you are a fan of a specific team, I don't think you have a right to complain about another team always making it to the finals. If the shoe was on the other foot, it'd be perfectly fine for you. That's just the way I see it.

I think all the hot takes about Bron leaving in a year, Cleveland blowing up their roster in the offseason, etc., are going to result in a highly motivated Cavs team tonight. Not to mention the simple motivation of not wanting to get swept on home court.

LionPride

Banned
LeBron gonna have to take a paycut if they want a Melo or Rondo/Wade package in the offseason imo
LeBron

A 33 year old man who is good but gettin on uo there with a lot of money he wants

A 30 year old man who would probably punch Kyrie

A 35 year old with no fucking knees

Sure

I think all the hot takes about Bron leaving in a year, Cleveland blowing up their roster in the offseason, etc., are going to result in a highly motivated Cavs team tonight. Not to mention the simple motivation of not wanting to get swept on home court.

You act like they weren't highly motivated on Wednesday night.

They played well enough to win...they just weren't good enough.

Rondo would be a fantastic pick up for the Cavs. Would allow Lebron to rest 5mpg more and not go -double figures every time. Could go with Kyrie SG and Rondo PG at times as well.

Wade would be good if his ego allowed him to join them on 10million a year.

They lost by a single bucket, lets ease off the hot takes lol.. That game could have easily swung either way, they were leading by 6 with 2:30 minutes left.

That's not the point I made at all. What team are you a fan of? I'm assuming not Golden State. But whatever team it is, let's assume they ramp up their team in the off season and make it to the next few finals. You're not going to be complaining, are you? Now other people who are fans of others teams are going to be assed out while you bask in the fact that your favorite team is now making it to the finals.

It's hypocritical, frankly. You'll never say that your own team is "too good" and that they should perform worse next season, even if it might be their third or fourth consecutive finals appearance, because as a fan you'll always want them to make it.

If you are a fan of a specific team, I don't think you have a right to complain about another team always making it to the finals. If the shoe was on the other foot, it'd be perfectly fine for you. That's just the way I see it.

That mentality is ridiculous. You're treating it like it's just any other year. This is a team that's been to 3 straight finals probably will go on to win three straight titles maybe drop off and still reach the finals for a couple of years. A decade of dominance the likes none of us have been around long enough to ever see in the NBA.

Killing the interest in the NBA for the next few years while this fans base enjoys theirs is different. You just don't not realize it yet.

BadAss2961

LeBron gonna have to take a paycut if they want a Melo or Rondo/Wade package in the offseason imo
If these GMs in the East were smart, they wouldn't deal with Cleveland. Why extend their dominance by giving them your players? Either bite the bullet and hold those salaries, or seek to trade them anywhere else.

Let them drown, forcing the team to dismantle in 2018 when Bron's had enough.

Easy, my man. I was acting any type of way. Just sayin' I don't think Cleve is gonna roll over given how ahead of themselves everyone is getting with LeBron leaving, this current roster being toast, etc.

Yes, that's true, but when the fan's team isn't there in the playoffs, they usually still want to root for something. Some root against their rivals, others root for underdogs/favorites, and some simply root for competitive games or best "narratives". I don't think that's particularly hard to accept.

I just find it a little funny and ironic that people are hating on the Warriors for forming a superteam, which makes them root for the guy who did this to the league years ago and then again recently by trading in his older superstars for younger versions, who's entire championship success is based on him leaving his team for better talent.

They lost by a single bucket, lets ease off the hot takes lol.. That game could have easily swung either way, they were leading by 6 with 2:30 minutes left.

Single bucket? There's a 5 point line in the NBA?

Also, they let the Warriors run off 11 unanswered points in crunch time. LOL..."hot takes" is the new "salty"...gets thrown around everywhere.

LionPride

Banned
That mentality is ridiculous. You're treating it like it's just any other year. This is a team that's been to 3 straight finals probably will go on to win three straight titles maybe drop off and still reach the finals for a couple of years. A decade of dominance the likes none of us have been around long enough to ever see in the NBA.

Killing the interest in the NBA for the next few years while this fans base enjoys theirs is different. You just don't not realize it yet.
The Lakers or Celtics were involved in every finals from 1980-1989

The Spurs or Lakers from 1999-2005

LeBron from 2011-now

The Warriors won't stay dominant for longer than the next 2-4 years

Runs happen in the NBA finals in regards to teams. Always have. Always will.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

I don't find anything ridiculous about it. I just hear whining because this team happens to be judged as a better team than other super teams of the past. As I said, if it was your preferred team that was consistently making it, I don't think you'd be complaining.

Also, aren't most of Golden State's top players drafts? So they built the foundation of their team using the draft system and acquired one other super star. They lucked out with several of their draft picks being incredibly good and now people are upset that it's working out lovely for them. Durant is simply icing on a cake that's already there.

Who's to say that another team's draft prospects won't ignite like Golden State's? You never know. But assuming that no other team manages to assemble a squad to knock out Golden State in the foreseeable future, at the end of the day that's not their problem. It's luck of the draw. I don't subscribe to the idea that the NBA is only worthwhile and entertaining if there's parity between teams in order to make it "competitive." It is equally entertaining to a layman viewer such as myself to witness the sheer dominance on display.

Ratings are up, so when you argue that this is "killing the interest in the NBA" you're gonna have to show your work.

Also the Bulls rattled off 6 titles in the 90s. The Lakers won5 and went to 9 Finals in the 80s. The Lakers and Spurs accounted for 9 of the 10 championships in the 00s. Saying "A decade of dominance the likes none of us have been around long enough to ever see in the NBA." only really applies if you are like 12.

Single bucket? There's a 5 point line in the NBA?

Also, they let the Warriors run off 11 unanswered points in crunch time. LOL..."hot takes" is the new "salty"...gets thrown around everywhere.
The last two buckets were nothing though, Curry fouled since they ran out of time because they missed the last bucket. When games like that happen, it's more of anything happen that not being good enough. Game 1 and 2 are where they weren't good enough.

Ferulci

The fuck is wrong with Wiggins haters ? So now 22years old averaging 24 points a game are bust ? Do people even watch Minny's games ?
Yes he has lots of weaknesses (defense, intensity and efficiency) but he's showing huge improvements each year. He gets the toughest wing assignment on both ends, logs huge minutes (KAT as well) and had Brandon Rush as a starter for 3 months. In 5 years, his worst-case scenario is a taller Derozan which is pretty good for a 2nd option.
It's ok to like Jabari/Embiid more but let's not be crazy : Wiggins is a stud.
Wolves need to build a roster around KAT/Wiggins and one of Rubio/Lavine/Dunn, with veterans, 3&D guys and toughness.

otapnam

I don't find anything ridiculous about it. I just hear whining because this team happens to be judged as a better team than other super teams of the past. As I said, if it was your preferred team that was consistently making it, I don't think you'd be complaining.

Also, aren't most of Golden State's top players drafts? So they built the foundation of their team using the draft system and acquired one other super star. They lucked out with several of their draft picks being incredibly good and now people are upset that it's working out lovely for them. Durant is simply icing on a cake that's already there.

Who's to say that another team's draft prospects won't ignite like Golden State's? You never know. But assuming that no other team manages to assemble a squad to knock out Golden State in the foreseeable future, at the end of the day that's not their problem. It's luck of the draw. I don't subscribe to the idea that the NBA is only worthwhile and entertaining if there's parity between teams in order to make it "competitive." It is equally entertaining to a layman viewer such as myself to witness the sheer dominance on display.

Curry klay and draymond all played 3+ years of college ball.

Some luck involved, but the warriors definitely were planning on creating a certain kind of organization​and it's seemed to have paid off.

The last two buckets were nothing though, Curry fouled since they ran out of time because they missed the last bucket. When games like that happen, it's more of anything happen that not being good enough. Game 1 and 2 are where they weren't good enough.

You said they lost by a single bucket. False. :p

My point is, in light of them giving the best performance of the series (and the Warriors the worst) it STILL wasn't good enough to get the W.

That re-enforces that the Cav aren't good enough.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Curry klay and draymond all played 3+ years of college ball.

Some luck involved, but the warriors definitely were planning on creating a certain kind of organization​and it's seemed to have paid off.

I'm pretty sure even the incompetent Knicks plan their fuck ups accordingly. Which organization doesn't plan for the future? Is this supposed to be a knock on them? I don't think that's meaningful critique, if you implied it as such.

This is going to back to the '59-70 run of the Celtics not these small runs for a handful of years broken up over several years but a decade straight of no hope. Maybe we'll get some crazy GM to risk the future of their franchise like NJ but have it actually workout and compete with this GS squad. There maybe a short window while so many players are still under the contracts of the old TV deal. But til then it's going to be hard to care about a game you already know the outcome of. GS vs the League isn't going to be a David V Goliath story but a reign of tyranny.

The fuck is wrong with Wiggins haters ? So now 22years old averaging 24 points a game are bust ? Do people even watch Minny's games ?
Yes he has lots of weaknesses (defense, intensity and efficiency) but he's showing huge improvements each year. He gets the toughest wing assignment on both ends, logs huge minutes (KAT as well) and had Brandon Rush as a starter for 3 months. In 5 years, his worst-case scenario is a taller Derozan which is pretty good for a 2nd option.
Wolves need to build a roster around KAT/Wiggins and one of Rubio/Lavine/Dunn, with veterans, 3&D guys and toughness.

Nobody called him a bust, just that thus far he's an extremely flawed player and despite the empty stats and highlight dunks, saying he'd be a better fit on these current cavs right now is laughable. Pointing out his flaws and being critical of his game does not equate to calling him a bust.

He's a solid player already, personally I don't think he's going to live up to the franchise player hype, but that doesn't make him a bust. The history of the league is littered with too many young players who didn't get better at things like efficiency and defense for me to just take for granted that Wiggins will.

he's woefully inefficient, a defensive liability, and puts up points on a bad team. he's nowhere close to a stud.

the discussion stemmed from the thought that he'd somehow be better suited for this cavs team than kevin love, which is hilarious.

I hear you. If you compare Wiggins numbers with Kobes first few years in the league Wiggins is actually ahead in the development curve. People are way to quick to jump and bash people and give them labels.

he's woefully inefficient, a defensive liability, and puts up points on a bad team. he's nowhere close to a stud.

the discussion stemmed from the thought that he'd somehow be better suited for this cavs team than kevin love, which is hilarious.

He actually would be better suited on the Cavs squad over Kevin Love. The Cavs would've also had the cap room to bring in real help then dudes like Deron Williams and Richard Jefferson. If Wiggins were on any of the more televised teams in the league most of you haters wouldn't be spewing the nonsense you're spewing about him. Kid is definitely a stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom