• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still insane to me how Warriors scored 116, which is in line with what they've been doing all series, and still lost.

Had the Cavs shot a still impressive 40 percent from three instead of 60, they may have lost the game. It's just crazy.

FZZ

Banned
KD is def 6'11

Also he was the only one who wanted to absolutely win tonight on the Warriors

That 3 at the end of the half had me scared even though Cavs were up by so much

Such a threat man, series would be completely different without him

There will be an insane amount of pressure on the Warriors to win game 5. They haven't exactly been great in that situation. Not saying they aren't favored, but hey, we might at least get a good game.

If this shit goes back to Cleveland.... lawd

Wedzi

Banned
QJ9lifjl.jpg

My money is on 7 feet or at least close to it. Which is crazy when you think how fast and nimble he is.

mjp2417

Banned
QJ9lifjl.jpg

My money is on 7 feet or at least close to it. Which is crazy when you think how fast and nimble he is.

KD feels like a cross between Dirk and Garnett. And he plays small forward. The only reason we don't talk more about what an unprecedented freak of nature he is, is because he has had the misfortune of playing his entire career during the LeBron era.

Still insane to me how Warriors scored 116, which is in line with what they've been doing all series, and still lost.

Had the Cavs shot a still impressive 40 percent from three instead of 60, they may have lost the game. It's just crazy.

It's really the only way they'll win. I'm pretty sure we all know this.

FZZ

Banned
KD feels like a cross between Dirk and Garnett. And he plays small forward. The only reason we don't talk more about what an unprecedented freak of nature he is, is because he has had the misfortune of playing his entire career during the LeBron era.

Second greatest scorer of all time

only behind MJ

Watched some highlights from game 1 and 2...Cavs weren't trapping curry as hard and when they did Curry broke down Cavs defense. Also missing tonight was Curry/Durant pick and roll

Game was ref'd well honestly. They even threw Draymond a bone in front of the world.

(First QtR. Cavs hit 7 threees and got them in the penalty with 4 minutes to go. With those two factors listed why is it surprising they scored almost 50 points?

2 iffy fouls on Curry and Iggy each. Then the foul on Mcgee blocking RJs dunk but being whistled.)

When you take a minute to settle down after its over you'll see the Cavs just wanted it more.

Why did they get to almost 50!? could it be the 15+ points from the free throw line from mostly BS fouls that put them in the bonus to begin with?

Could it be because all the BS fouls that were called (the entire game, but mostly...) in the 1st Qtr, forced the Dubs to relax on D'ing up the Cavs and being extremely close and physical, why the same calls were NOT made against the Cavs who were fouling Steph on almost every movement he made, yet no call was made on it the entire game... even when it happened right in front of a Ref... not even Durant could get a holding call when he was fighting to get free and basically dragging RJ over to the Ref with him...

It was so bad at one point that after Klay got fouled, everyone stopped and looked at the Ref... and only after everyone stood there for a split second, did the Ref blow the whistle. JR almost raised his hand to take credit for it before it was even called....

How can anyone ignore how bad this game was officiated?

Not that they didn't even it a little later by making some bizarre and equally bad calls for the Warriors too, but the game was already FUBAR by that point, and the Warriors out of rhythm and Steph still being held, grabbed, pushed, pulled, bumped and everything else in the meantime.
If anyone so much as grazed Kyrie, whistles were being blown. The disparity in fouls called were quite ridiculous, and the 1st quarter just threw the game out of whack.

I actually think it's amazing that the Dubs basically hung with the Cavs the entire game, outside of the initial lead that the Refs helped build in the 1st. it was truly 5 vs 8 out there tonight for the 1st half. If only they would show Steph some respect, Warriors might have made this a close competitive one, if not just barely squeaked out the win. Which is amazing considering how incredible the Cavs were shooting, even when contested. Kyrie was absolutely amazing tonight. and Lebron gets a highlight of the forever with the self pass off the backboard... I didn't think it was legal to pass it to yourself.... but whatever. It makes for a good highlight.

NBA should be ashamed of itself for the fuckery of officiating that was tonight. If the Cavs were gonna win this game, then at least appear to not be so damn bias about it. Ooops you didn't mean to eject Draymond.... then don't call bullshit techs and then have to switch them to other people just to sloppily attempt to cover your muddy tracks.
I'm about to call in Mueller just to investigate this shit and put a stop to it.

Cracklox

Goddamn man, guy was telling a personal story that has absolutely nothing to do with the Cavs or "excuses". Chill some.

Ha yeah, I later Pointed that out. Cheers though. And the odd thing I didn't explain, is I'm kinda going for the Cavs here as well.

Prob my mistake for thinking someone would read the whole thing so soon after the game when there were takes to be made. You won't get any time for applying more heat to your take, then 5 minutes after a game.

mjp2417

Banned
Why does NBA do that with some players? Bird was also listed 6'9" and he was a lot taller than that.

Garnett apparently did not want to be known as a 7 footer so he insisted that his listed height remain 6'11". I don't know if there is a story behind KD beyond growing a couple inches after being drafted when he was a baby. Bird was only like 6'10" max though, right? McHale always seemed to have at least an inch or two on him.

TTG

Agent Zero!

EDIT: If you have a comprehensive comparison I'd love to see it, but it's hard to go against Kobe. We all see Durant's ability now and it's been a while since prime Kobe, but still. Kobe had a week when he put up 65, 50, 60, and 50 again, in a row. Then he only put in 43 the following game. He outscored the Dallas Mavericks through 3 quarters with 60+ and sat the 4th. He had a 9 game 40+ point streak. This is just top hits off google, it goes on and on.

mjp2417

Banned
Yea... he is. Mcgrady could score with anyone you put in front of him. Just posting nope won't change that. I didn't wanna mention kobe cause i know much people like to discredit the dude.

Durant has scored a higher volume on significantly higher efficiency than either McGrady or Kobe throughout his career. Like, T-Mac's highest TS% in a single year was .564. Kobe's was .580. Durant's career average is .608. His TS% these playoffs is nearly 68%. Even LeBron has never been that efficient in the postseason.

theWB27

Durant has scored a higher volume on significantly higher efficiency than either McGrady or Kobe throughout his career. Like, T-Mac's highest TS% in a single year was .564. Kobe's was .580. Durant's career average is .608. His TS% these playoffs is nearly 68%. Even LeBron has never been that efficient in the postseason.

And that's where i figured this would go. The metric was scoring.... getting buckets. Plenty of players can get them on par with Kevin.

Advanced metrics does nothing at all to change that.

DJwest

He's the second best scorer ever. Much better than Kobe, a player who KD is better than at everything else as well. So he must be better overall than Kobe (easily a top 10 player ever).

That's what you guys are saying.
If you're quoting me then at least read my posts carefully. All I said is that KD is a more efficient scorer than Kobe and T-Mac. Do you disagree with that?

overcast

One time in Venice Beach Kevin Durant walked right in front of me and I watched him play ball.

Pretty cool. That was years ago. Shoulda called him a traitor then tbh.

Trey

Really wanted to see 16-0. Oh well, I don't think another team comes close for a while, if ever. Cavs at least have that. They balled out tonight: looked like a completely different team.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
That game was so bad it was the first finals game I just turned off midway through the third and never checked in on it again. The officiating was disgusting. That first quarter was an abomination and really fucked over the dubs. The Cavs shot lights out so that was cool...

What I really don't understand is how no one gives Steph Curry any respect. He gets fucking destroyed out there off ball literally once every three possessions and it's like no ref even bats an eyelash. Jeez.

mjp2417

Banned
He's the second best scorer ever. Much better than Kobe, a player who KD is better than at everything else as well. So he must be better overall than Kobe (easily a top 10 player ever).

That's what you guys are saying.

Kobe was clearly the best player on 2 championship teams and he was the second best player on 3 more. He was also an elite scorer and, during his athletic prime, an elite defender as well. When people talk about all time rankings it tends to be a mix of individual excellence + team accomplishments. Kobe has both in spades. That doesn't change the fact that Kevin Durant is simply better at putting the basketball through the hoop than Kobe Bryant in just about every measurable way.

If you're quoting me then at least read my posts carefully. All I said is that KD is a more efficient scorer than Kobe and T-Mac. Do you disagree with that?
Im disagreeing with "second best scorer ever" based purely on stats in a totally new league that emphasizes three pointers and is basically the only time in league history when something like TS% would matter.

Hell im not even ready to say that he's a better scorer than LeBron.

That game was so bad it was the first finals game I just turned off midway through the third and never checked in on it again. The officiating was disgusting. That first quarter was an abomination and really fucked over the dubs. The Cavs shot lights out so that was cool...

What I really don't understand is how no one gives Steph Curry any respect. He gets fucking destroyed out there off ball literally once every three possessions and it's like no ref even bats an eyelash. Jeez.

Truth. but some dont' want to hear it.

I'm just hoping for some solid officiating in game 5.
win or lose, just call it fair and even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom