• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
except bron didnt take the coward route, the heat werent established prior to that event.

Dude stop this. He joined Wade and Bosh, two HoFers. That was the biggest power shift in the history of the league to that point and when they teamed up you could legit see them winning a fuckton of championships until JJ Barea happened. Yes it wasn't exactly like the Warriors, but it was not that different.

People who value the work put in to earn championships. Same reason​ Robert Horry isn't considered a GOAT.

Come on now. Luck plays a part in it too. Not just work.

KD decided not to rely on work. He's the best player on a team that was already great. So what?

Cleveland is a great team.

Now, if KD were to leave after/if he gets a championship ring this year then I'd be pissed at him.

I'm not going to hate because he went to a place where he wanted to play. He didn't have that option when he was drafted. NBA players don't get to initially choose where they play regardless of how much work they put in.

He had the option to pick a team. Pick a team that would help him beat Lebron, arguably the greatest player ever.

Cracklox

Seen stranger things after a team gets blown out in game 1 but kinda ominous for the rest of the series. You expect the home team to be able to hold court either way though. If the Cavs look a little more competitive in game 2 and lose a close(r) one then there still maybe hope going back to Cleveland. I.... don't think I can envisage them getting up in game 2 though

Another blowout next game, and that'll make it a lot tougher to bounce back from.

Not sure what the Cavs answer for KD is. Bron's prob the best matchup, but you're asking a lot from even him, trying to lock the dude down when he plays like that

Pistons with Billups, Sheed, Big Ben, and Rip -2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NBA_All-Star_Game

That pretty much show you why number of All Stars shouldn't be a measurement of a superteam. Half of those guys wouldn't be All Stars if they east before the big 3 wasn't so awful.

Has any other team had 2 recent MVPs in their prime +another top 10 player+ the DPOY? Really doubt it. That's why people are mad at the current Warriors.

Boogs31

Why wouldn't you consider rodman an all star? Dude's a HOFer

He averaged like 5 points a game during those late 90's seasons. He was in his mid 30's and wasn't as dominant a defender as his Pistons days. He was still really good (especially on the glass), but guys that are liabilities on one end of the floor are rarely all star caliber.

cdyhybrid

The Bulls with Jordan and Pippen were STACKED. People just like to forget it.

People love to act like Jordan carried 11 scrubs from the YMCA to six rings.

You can't just casually state that they weren't all in their primes. That's a big deal. The 2010 Cavs had 2 hall of famers, but one of them was a washed up Shaq. Having 4 all stars in their prime has never happened before. Especially considering 2 of those guys are top 4 players in the entire league.

Bron and prime Wade were two of the top 4 players in the league. If you want to argue that they're the most stacked in history by a smidgen, I won't complain. But to try and posit that this is unprecedented levels of stacked is ridiculous.

yo

someone actually did the "fuck her right in the pussy" line in 2017 on the cleveland abc affliate

in 2017 brehs lmao

Oh shit, Jameis Winston is at the game?

BadAss2961

The mere fact that one game where KD outplays LeBron is so shocking should be all the convincing you need.

But here's more:
H2H record LBJ owns KD, and they play the same position
LBJ 1-0 over KD in finals
LBJ 3 rings KD 0
LBJ 8 finals KD 2

Is that enough? I can't believe I have to argue this. Anyone with basic NBA vknowledge who watches a decent amount of games would know that LeBron has been the best player on Earth for several years, did you watch the playoffs? You think he's slowing down? You wanna chuck out the last decade because of one game?
Nah.

It's just one game, but I low key said for the longest that KD can be just as good as LeBron or even better when he gets going. His length and scoring ability is insane. LeBron's been on better teams than him since the move to Miami and has also been feasting in the east. He would've struggled just the same going through the west all these years.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I have no hate for Kevin Durant. I hate the product that has spawned from this, but not Kevin Durant for enacting his right to sign where he chooses.

That said, when a player wins his first title, I typically gain more respect for said players, where they can "prove" they can go all the way. Rings aren't everything when evaluating players, but they do count for something. However, in this instance, because of the circumstance, I won't feel that way with Durant.

Just like if Karl Malone joined the Bulls to play with Jordan I wouldn't have gone "Now Karl Malone is a champion!" It's like well no, he's a "champion" because he teamed up with Michael Jordan. Nothing has really changed about the guy other than the team he played for. I'll have that same mindset about Durant. I won't talk about him differently(good or bad) and won't put him on another level for "winning" a title. He'll be the same Kevin Durant. A great player. Nothing more, nothing less.

SaviorX

Takeaways from Game 1:

Cavs are exposed to the Playoff Warriors feat. Kevin Durant. They were gonna get beat up but now they can adjust.

Warriors were all-time tying levels of careful with the ball with only 4 turnovers (1 TO a quarter average). Cavs had a decent 3 ball but the defense is lacking; too many moments where Kyrie ended up trying to force a shot against KD...have to fix the mismatches. Also the rebounds in the paint exposed how vulnerable they are at the center position with Zaza and McGee around.

If they quicken the ball movement with less lob-like passes, and maybe get a few calls Cavs can bounce back. That gameplay was working for the most part in the first half, but then they got nothing after halftime.

That foul line will be important to interrupt rhythm between all those weapons on the Dubs. The NBA will not allow a sweep, so by Game 3 we can see Cleveland respond.

Boogs31

People love to act like Jordan carried 11 scrubs from the YMCA to six rings.

Bron and prime Wade were two of the top 4 players in the league. If you want to argue that they're the most stacked in history by a smidgen, I won't complain. But to try and posit that this is unprecedented levels of stacked is ridiculous.

Ya those Heat teams were stacked as well. But they only had 3 all stars, not 4. In a sport that consists of 5 players on the floor, 1 extra all star is a pretty big deal.

After last year, I believe in miracles. We can be headed into game 4 with the Warriors up 3-0 and I'll still have hope for the Cavs to win that game (and the rest of the series) unless it gets to blowout territory

mjp2417

Banned
They not only have 4 all stars, but 2 of the top 4 players in the league. Yes, there have been stacked teams in the past, but no team in NBA history has been close to THIS stacked.

Yeah, this is probably the most loaded roster in NBA history. Only ones that come close since the merger are the 86 Celtics, 87 Lakers, and 92 or 96 Bulls, but none of them had two top 4 players + two other legit stars all in their prime (like, Klay is the 4th best player on the team and he is probably the best shooting guard in the league). I don't think a lot of people fully realize just how unprecedented this roster is.

RedAssedApe

Banned
phyzsMt.gif

Needs to be on every page

Yeah, this is probably the most loaded roster in NBA history. Only ones that come close since the merger are the 86 Celtics, 87 Lakers, and 92 or 96 Bulls, but none of them had two top 4 players + two other legit stars all in their prime (like, Klay is the 4th best player on the team and he is probably the best shooting guard in the league). I don't think a lot of people fully realize just how unprecedented this roster is.
The Heat five years ago were arguably just as good and deep.

People assuming Cavs's adjustment are going to solve their problems are forgetting that this was the 20th ranked defense in the NBA, and have had problems tightening their defense. Many times they left a guy unguarded when meant an ez dunk/3pt. IMO there's something fundamentally broken with their tactics.

The mere fact that one game where KD outplays LeBron is so shocking should be all the convincing you need.

But here's more:
H2H record LBJ owns KD, and they play the same position
LBJ 1-0 over KD in finals
LBJ 3 rings KD 0
LBJ 8 finals KD 2

Is that enough? I can't believe I have to argue this. Anyone with basic NBA vknowledge who watches a decent amount of games would know that LeBron has been the best player on Earth for several years, did you watch the playoffs? You think he's slowing down? You wanna chuck out the last decade because of one game?
1. No, he doesn't. I JUST put up the stats, they are even. KD avg 3 less AST reg season, in 18 meetings.Here they are again, in case you missed it. (I flubbed on FG%, though.)

2. Getting to the Finals in the West is tough, tougher than the East, especially when you have dynasties like the Lakers and Spurs to compete against. Its still a team game, KD had to find the right team.

3. Rings vary between meaningless (How many does Robert Horry have again? Like 8?) and meaningful, depending on your role in the offense. OKC was not an AST heavy team, shots would come out of isolation and you had 3 Stars all vying for control of the ball.

You can't just look at the Playoffs in a bubble and call it. They have only one meeting in Finals, its really hard to judge on one series (you just said that)

People assuming Cavs's adjustment are going to solve their problems are forgetting that this was the 20th ranked defense in the NBA, and have had problems tightening their defense. Many times they left a guy unguarded when meant an ez dunk/3pt. IMO there's something fundamentally broken with their tactics.
I saw Durant drive inside for an easy bucket three times tonight. Legit they transition and nobody is on him.

Does level of 'star' not count for anything??? Michael Jordan is the greaser player who ever lived. Much better than anyone on the Warriors.

Jordans Bulls literally owned the league for an entire decade and would've won 8 finals if he hadnt left for baseball. Is that not domination? Is that not 'ruining' the league?

I mean what the hell are we talking about here?

except bron didnt take the coward route, the heat werent established prior to that event.
😭😭😭

Game 2 I expect to be a lot closer. Bo way Warriors don't TO the ball more and Curry/KD run a train on the LeBrons as they did this game though. Still have Warriors winning it by 8. Cavs are going to come out swinging, they were just surprised due to playing in a garbage conference until game 1 tonight.

At the beginning of the game, Mark Jackson said both of the teams are excellent defensively.
I spit out my esophagus.

neptunes

Does level of 'star' not count for anything??? Michael Jordan is the greaser player who ever lived. Much better than anyone on the Warriors.

Jordans Bulls literally owned the league for an entire decade and would've won 8 finals if he hadnt left for baseball. Is that not domination? Is that not 'ruining' the league?

I mean what the hell are we talking about here?

Now imagine Hakeem joining them in 93

Tom Penny

They played no team in the East with more than one true scoring threat in the playoffs..not their fault with IT and Lowry injuries but GS is an entirely different level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom