• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

phanphare

Banned
You should be, going to a 73-9 win team, who won a championship the year prior, and came back from a 1-3 deficit to knock your ass out of the playoffs and go to the championship. Fairly unprecedented

yeah considering all of that he should have intentionally handicapped himself and chose an inferior team

wait, I read that out loud just now and it sounded really dumb

Kevin Durant just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about basketball culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in football where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in basketball, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the NBA audience, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase tickets for any games, nor will they watch any televised games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Kevin Durant has alienated an entire market with this move.

Kevin Durant, publicly apologize and retire or you can kiss your legacy goodbye.

Brilliant satire.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I come back to the thread 2.5 hours later and people are still just spamming the "KD is a bitch" posts?

Post something meaningful or get the fuck out of the thread. We don't need endless pages of this garbage. It's happened all throughout the season and playoff threads, it doesn't have to endlessly go on.

Ric Flair

Banned
yeah I, too, am shocked that he chose the best possible fit as a landing spot when he left

shocked, I say
I always see this sentiment, and it always confuses me. Does competitive drive mean nothing to you guys? He had them dead to rights 3-1 with Russ and choked the series away with poor shooting and an amazing performance by Klay Thompson to will the Warriors back to life. Instead of thinking, "we'll get em next year" he joined them. That's such a textbook bitch move it should be in the dictionary.

Umbooki

I don't know how much the rest of you know about basketball culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in football where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in basketball, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the NBA audience, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase tickets for any games, nor will they watch any televised games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Kevin Durant has alienated an entire market with this move.

Kevin Durant, publicly apologize and retire or you can kiss your legacy goodbye.
Nice.

yeah considering all of that he should have intentionally handicapped himself and chose an inferior team

wait, I read that out loud just now and it sounded really dumb

When you are good enough to be judged as one of the greats of your era dems the breaks. Those things will matter.

mrw-im-trying-to-understand-reddits-new-voting-algorithm-240418.gif

Better than most posts even if it was serious and didn't have an original source 😂

Surfinn

Is there a bad fit for a 73 win team?

So he should have stayed on the team where he was a worse fit? Yes, if you're a shitty ball hog, you can easily move to a 73 win team and make things worse. But he's a great passer with high bball IQ and works very well on the warriors. It's not like any player would have automatically been successful and worked well just because they moved to a team with a lot of wins.

Tom Penny

I always see this sentiment, and it always confuses me. Does competitive drive mean nothing to you guys? He had them dead to rights 3-1 with Russ and choked the series away with poor shooting and an amazing performance by Klay Thompson to will the Warriors back to life. Instead of thinking, "we'll get em next year" he joined them. That's such a textbook bitch move it should be in the dictionary.

Competitiveness in sports is overrated. That's not what it's about.

ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo

Most Points Without a Turnover - NBA Finals Game Last 30 Seasons
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 41
2017 Kevin Durant 38
8:55 PM · Jun 1, 2017

So he should have stayed on the team where he was a worse fit? Yes, if you're a shitty ball hog, you can easily move to a 73 win team and make things worse. But he's a great passer with high bball IQ and works very well on the warriors. It's not like any player would have automatically been successful and worked well just because a team has a lot of wins.

Literally any player would have been successful on this team. Replace KD with me and we still win this series in 7.

Dre3001

Warriors are insane. How in the world did they lose last year?

Green got suspended one game, Harrison Barnes went missing the entire series, and Curry wasnt 100%.

If any one of those three things changes GS wins in 5 last year and KD never ends up joing the Warriors.

Side note: How much was Westbrook holding Durant back on the Thunder?

So he should have stayed on the team where he was a worse fit? Yes, if you're a shitty ball hog, you can easily move to a 73 win team and make things worse. But he's a great passer with high bball IQ and works very well on the warriors. It's not like any player would have automatically been successful and worked well just because a team has a lot of wins.

okc was up 3-1 yet he took the cowards way out to join 3 other stars. thats almost a starting lineup of stars....

Tom Penny

So he should have stayed on the team where he was a worse fit? Yes, if you're a shitty ball hog, you can easily move to a 73 win team and make things worse. But he's a great passer with high bball IQ and works very well on the warriors. It's not like any player would have automatically been successful and worked well just because they moved to a team with a lot of wins.

For real. MJ should have joined the Pistons or Celtics but he done fucked up and stayed on the Bulls.

Honestly I don't blame KD for leaving OKC at ALL. Playing alongside Westbrook looked absolutely cancerous at times and I always said during his time there that as long as Westbrook is on the team KD will never win a ring. Just a shame he went to a team that all but dominated everything last year so the league went even more out of wack.

Green got suspended one game, Harrison Barnes went missing the entire series, and Curry wasnt 100%.

If any one of those three things changes GS wins in 5 last year and KD never ends up joing the Warriors.

Side note: How much was Westbrook holding Durant back on the Thunder?

that's tons of excuses for such a big lead (3-1), they still had two chances after the green incident.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Melo headed to Cleveland next season. It's gonna happen, somehow.

Is the NBA upping game to 60 minutes and 15 minute quarters?

Cause Melo will hold that ball for awhile, the Cavs will be like 25th-30th in Defense, I can guarantee you that

Warriors are insane. How in the world did they lose last year?

They got comfortable, Curry was somewhat injured, Barnes was legit awful, Bogut was hurt and they had no one to keep the Cavs from picking up a lot of rebounds and the Green suspension killed their momentum. Then in the 7th game they nearly went in a run but Kerr insisted to use Varejao and that was that.

Cavs fought very hard as well and they deserved it. Thing is, the Warriors know they could have won. They know, I doubt they're not pretty fucking angry about it to this day. All of the things that happened last year that helped the Cavs to win the title won't happen again. Cavs need to get creative.

Dre3001

that's tons of excuses for such a big lead (3-1), they still had two chances after the green incident.

I think that just highlights how good GS was before adding Durant. They won 73 games last year.

The finals had no reason being as close as it was. At 3-1 everyone assumed the series was over. Yes, the green suspension may not be the sole reason they lost but GS literally replaced Barnes being a complete disaster with the arguably the 2nd best player in the league.

phanphare

Banned

yeah kd's lack of competitive drive is what made him choose to leave to be able to compete in the finals

I come back to the thread 2.5 hours later and people are still just spamming the "KD is a bitch" posts?

Post something meaningful or get the fuck out of the thread. We don't need endless pages of this garbage. It's happened all throughout the season and playoff threads, it doesn't have to endlessly go on.
That is appreciated.

You can't knock his game, so are illogical narrative has to be created to make him lesser-than. It's childish.
Game 6

Pretty sure Bogut, you know, their starting Center, defensive rim protector, was injured in Game 5? Could be wrong, though. (Nope, I'm not)

Damn, you got a 2Pav Avi, too. Juice, at that. Why you gotta do this? Pac would be so ashamed.

THANK YOU!

So tired of salty sports fan getting worked up

TuXx

Lebron has a very high ball IQ and would be a perfect fit for the Warriors . If he joined them after getting beat in the first finals, you wouldn't criticize him in the slightest?

You da real mvp

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
its better than seeing people who dont even watch nba and just come to see the finals with no knowledge about basketball.

That's no excuse for the regulars to spam hot takes non-stop. Also, if new people are coming in, explain things properly and educate folks. If they're just trolling, ignore them and let the mods get to them. But the last thing any sports thread needs is to appear being insular to the mod staff. That's the fastest ticket to nuketown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom