• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracklox

Real test begin when the warriors to to Cleveland. Last year warriors looked good after the first two games then got pummeled in game 3, lost draymond in 4, lost Bogut in 5 and kyrie and LeBron woke the fuck up, Curry got tossed in 6....point is, shit can unravel quickly despite things looking dandy

sssshhhhhhhh! Don't spoil it

There's other people in here who think we're done

Imma need Lebron and Kyrie to each drop 40 a game. Only way I think the Cavs can do this.

They can each drop 50 and it's not going to matter if they don't play better defense. The Cavs had turnover issues, sure, but that defense was atrocious and it's not going to do it at all.

bionic77

Wrong quote.

Meant to respond to Richie.

I think the Cavs could win by outscoring the Warriors. Definitely in a single game. Not sure they could win 4 that way. Cavs offense can be insane if the role players are making their threes. No one really shot well in game one.

Tom Penny

People downplaying coach of the year Mike Brown and championship coach Lue.
Wrong quote.

I think the Cavs could win by outscoring the Warriors. Definitely in a single game. Not sure they could win 4 that way. Cavs offense can be insane if the role players are making their threes. No one really shot well in game one.
Cavs can win every game they outscored GS. I'm sure of it.

bionic77

People downplaying coach of the year Mike Brown and championship coach Lue.

Cavs can win every game they outscored GS. I'm sure of it.
I am not sure if they can win every game by outscoring the other team, but definitely most of them. Need to check the analytics before we go and making bold statements like that.

You rarely win in the finals of anything without playing good defense. Its possible though but not something that happens often and almost never sustainable.

I think the Cavs could win by outscoring the Warriors.

image.php

THANKS, MAGIC

sorry

Wrong quote.

It's possible they can win with their regular shit defense, but last night they somehow played worse on that end than they did in the playoffs thus far. They were even lucky that the Warriors were missing layups and Klay and Draymond couldn't hit shit from anywhere. It was a ridiculous effort. If they bring it back to "regular awful" instead of "legendary ineptitude" they can outshoot the Warriors, but they need a plan on defense or to at least play physical there.

To those saying the NBA is doomed/don't like this current era, the future is looking EXTREMELY bright. The Bucks, 76ers, T-Wolves, Lakers, Celtics, Spurs are all going to be great in the next decade, there's a lot to look forward to.
There's clearly a talent influx that's coming into the NBA, and while this current era is fun, even outside the issues with the Cavs and warriors dominating so much, a part of me already wants to fast forward to the point where the young stars are winning MVPs

sssshhhhhhhh! Don't spoil it

There's other people in here who think we're done

Not to mention the cavs had th3 same issues last year after 2 games, looked lost, miscommunication on switching, etc

It will be interesting to watch once warriors go through a funk, Kyrie beasting, and calls start to go against them. Man last year except game 4 warriors couldn't score shit in Cleveland

rambis

Banned
Jason McIntyre @jasonrmcintyre

Stephen Curry has played 14 NBA Finals games. Has scored 25+ points eight times. The "he's-been-bad-in-the-Finals" narrative is wrong.
0:45

7:15 AM · Jun 2, 2017

This is stupid. People actually watch the games and play by plays exist. Blindly quoting contextless box scores is the worst thing about sports fans these days.

Not to mention the cavs had th3 same issues last year after 2 games, looked lost, miscommunication on switching, etc

It will be interesting to watch once warriors go through a funk, Kyrie beasting, and calls start to go against them. Man last year except game 4 warriors couldn't score shit in Cleveland
No Max Barnes should fix that issue this time.

This is stupid. People actually watch the games and play by plays exist. Blindly quoting contextless box scores is the worst thing about sports fans these days.

The quote is just useless without any further context, but in my opinion, he should have won the Finals MVP in 2015, I think that while his performance was not as good as expected, he still did enough to deserve it. Last year he was bad, though he has a bit of a pass given that he got injured at the start of the PO.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I don't see how anybody actually watching can say Finals Curry isn't a real thing. I know what the box says but the PbP shows he was mediocre and shrunk for large parts of the night. Only to wake up when the game became unreachable.

Cmon son

BadAss2961

To those saying the NBA is doomed/don't like this current era, the future is looking EXTREMELY bright. The Bucks, 76ers, T-Wolves, Lakers, Celtics, Spurs are all going to be great in the next decade, there's a lot to look forward to.
"In the next decade" is a very long time to wait on hopes and dreams.

For the foreseeable future, there's no one that can beat with this Warriors team, and no one in the east that can even compete with whatever LeBron runs with. That's a problem. Everyone pretty much has to wait this era out.

Cracklox

They'll need all that and more I fear. Love to actually do something at the offensive end. JR to go off for one his random 30 point nights. Shump..... to do... something. TT def needs to be be better then what he was in game 1 as well. Jefferson to maybe wind back the clock a bit like he did last year.

And then there's the slight issue of Harrison Barnes 2.0 and how you match up on him. Last years version you just doubled off him and lol'd

phanphare

Banned
it go steph for 3 or a kd 2
pick your poison tell me what you doin'
everybody gon' respect the shooter
but the one in front of lebron lives forever

Tom Penny

Nobody else getting to the Finals the next 3-5 years unless GS or Cavs players get injured is awesome.

They'll need all that and more I fear. Love to actually do something at the offensive end. JR to go off for one his random 30 point nights. Shump..... to do... something. TT def needs to be be better then what he was in game 1 as well. Jefferson to maybe wind back the clock a bit like he did last year.

And then there's the slight issue of Harrison Barnes 2.0 and how you match up on him. Last years version you just doubled off him and lol'd

I agree. I do think the Cavs are capable of adjusting, and if TT can be active on the boards then that's a huge issue for the warriors. Again, keeping it open for now since those are the same narrative after the first 2 games, plus I think they got away with a lot of holding and moving screen last year, and if that won't be called that's an advantage for them since that took away a lot of cutting and movement for the warriors (and in turn the warriors got frustrated and ended up in foul troubles)

Another thing I liked from yesterday was the team defense on Kyrie. I mean he still scored but most of the shots were defended.

Some stats that seemed important to me

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6es2pl/outside_of_lebron_and_kyrie_cavs_players_shot/
Outside of Lebron and Kyrie, Cavs players shot 11-44 from the field tonight. (self.nba)

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6es9ug/on_average_deflections_become_steals_44_of_the/
On average, deflections become steals 44% of the time. Tonight, the Cavs had a 0 for 8 conversion rate. The Warriors went 12 for 16

https://twitter.com/erikmal/status/870510908459458566
Erik Malinowski said:
Cavs not named LeBron were 8-of-28 (28.6%) on uncontested field goals.

Cavs as a whole didn't play well, at all. Excuse me for being skeptical about the Cavs having 20 turnovers and 0 steals and the Warriors tying the all-time low of 4 turnovers again.

I love all the hot takes where Brown and Lue are bums, helplessly watching from the sidelines.

Peeps said the same shit about Spo in the Heat Big 3 years.

Except Brown has a history. Even then, he's a good defensive coach, which makes him one of the better assistant coaches out there, and to be an NBA coach you probably need a basic grasp on the game in general. And in between games, the coaching staff is still the same. So even he's not bad.

But yeah, Spoelstra was supposed to be this shitty coach being carried by his stars in the Heatles era.

Other news:

Jerry West calls Clippers meeting ‘very intriguing'

The possibility that Lakers legend Jerry West might soon be involved with the Clippers continued to gain steam Thursday when West described his recent meeting with the organization as ”very intriguing" and said ”Steve Ballmer is going to be a sensational owner."

However, West, who will be an octogenarian by next year's playoffs, otherwise left his future open-ended during an appearance on ”The Dan Patrick Show."

”I'm 79 years old," West said. ”I know how much I value the game of basketball. I know what it's done for me. I'm still very competitive. I'm just not sure anywhere is a good fit for me."

Earlier this week, reports surfaced that the Clippers were interested in bring West on in an advisory role similar to his job as an executive board member with the Warriors, a position he has held since 2011.

Sources: Bucks expand GM search, plan to begin interviews Monday

Woj said:
The Bucks were granted permission to speak with several more GM candidates late this week, including Portland Trail Blazers assistant GM Bill Branch, Miami Heat assistant GM Adam Simon and Detroit Pistons assistant GM Pat Garrity, league sources told The Vertical.

Another candidate whom the Bucks have contacted, league sources said: San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon. Hammon has no front-office experience, but has been a behind-the-bench assistant coach under Gregg Popovich for three seasons.

Nobody else getting to the Finals the next 3-5 years unless GS or Cavs players get injured is awesome.

Cavs can't keep dipping into the luxury tax every year to stay atop the East. The moment the owner decides to stop taking a hit and to stay at the cusp or under the cap Lebron and co. will fall off...

Because Cavs have Lebron, they can win games under 100 pts total. Warriors can do that too but that that means they were playing terrible and most likely lost that game. I imagine Lue will inform his team that for Sunday.

Fjordson

I feel like a bad person for saying this, but I wonder if they should just let Mike Brown keep coaching and not mess with their current flow.

Overall, I'd much rather have Kerr, but I'm scared he'll go back to all his motion offense and off-ball action which just doesn't work against the Cavs. Anytime you try that crap they're just gonna hold Curry and Klay or knock them into the front row. Need to keep the ball in KD and Steph's hands.

I don't see how anybody actually watching can say Finals Curry isn't a real thing. I know what the box says but the PbP shows he was mediocre and shrunk for large parts of the night. Only to wake up when the game became unreachable.
Lmao. Cavs fans already this angry??

Y'all need to calm down. Don't forget the Warriors dominating early last year.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Cmon what? If this was Lebron or somebody like Kobe he would be getting slain and called a frontrunner.

He scored 10 in the first when the game was at its most contested. Then, when the game was at an a very reachable 13 point lead, he scored 11 of the teams next 13 points and assisted on the other play to make the game unreachable. I don't know what play by play you are looking at. Maybe last years?

bionic77

Some stats that seemed important to me

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6es2pl/outside_of_lebron_and_kyrie_cavs_players_shot/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6es9ug/on_average_deflections_become_steals_44_of_the/

https://twitter.com/erikmal/status/870510908459458566

Cavs as a whole didn't play well, at all. Excuse me for being skeptical about the Cavs having 20 turnovers and 0 steals and the Warriors tying the all-time low of 4 turnovers again.

Except Brown has a history. Even then, he's a good defensive coach, which makes him one of the better assistant coaches out there, and to be an NBA coach you probably need a basic grasp on the game in general. And in between games, the coaching staff is still the same. So even he's not bad.

But yeah, Spoelstra was supposed to be this shitty coach being carried by his stars in the Heatles era.

Other news:

Jerry West calls Clippers meeting ‘very intriguing’

Sources: Bucks expand GM search, plan to begin interviews Monday
The Cavs can play a lot better on both ends of the floor and they might catch fire on offense whey they go back to Cleveland but the problem in this series remains.

Who is going to check KD? The real problem for the Cavs was not even LeBron was able to slow him down. Do they double? Will James figure out something to slow or shut him down and still have energy on the there other end? Is there another player to put on KD (pretty sure the answer is hell fucking no)?

That to me is the series. Jefferson and Love were getting embarrassed by Durant and honestly even LeBron was kind of getting abused as well.

If they don't solve that issue it could be a short series.

Be real interesting to see how they handle that in game 2. I think I might double him and just let Iggy or Draymond try to beat you. You might still lose but that is definitely better than just letting KD dunk it 10 times a game.

rambis

Banned
I feel like a bad person for saying this, but I wonder if they should just let Mike Brown keep coaching and not mess with their current flow.

Overall, I'd much rather have Kerr, but I'm scared he'll go back to all his motion offense and off-ball action which just doesn't work against the Cavs. Anytime you try that crap they're just gonna hold Curry and Klay or knock them into the front row. Need to keep the ball in KD and Steph's hands.

I mean there isn't an angry sentence in that quote and Im not a Cavs fan. Calling spades, spades. The Curry thing is just interesting because of the multitude of excuses that get made for his uneven play.

He scored 10 in the first when the game was at its most contested. Then, when the game was at an a very reachable 13 point lead, he scored 11 of the teams next 13 points and assisted on the other play to make the game unreachable. I don't know what play by play you are looking at. Maybe last years?
A 13pt cushion when nearly everyone on the other team is missing and turning the ball over is far from reachable, I don't know what sport you've been watching.

KD was almost single handedly carrying GS at times while Curry bricked wide open threes

Mrbob

Did your see the comment section? I laughed at this one....
deadspin comment section said:
I’ve seen this romcom before. KD and Rihanna’s fight make them realize that the only thing worse than how they feel about each other is how they feel WITHOUT each other. They eventually fall in love and end up getting married. Jeff Van Gundy, still obsessed with Rihanna, tries to interrupt the ceremony but ends up comically falling into the cake. I think it got 35% on Rotten Tomatoes.

phanphare

Banned
A 13pt cushion when nearly everyone on the other team is missing and turning the ball over is far from reachable, I don't know what sport you've been watching.

KD was almost single handedly carrying GS at times while Curry bricked wide open threes

I know you already handwaved away the box score because reasons but steph was 11 for 22 from the field (50%), 6 for 11 from 3 (54.5%), had 6 rebounds (steph curry had 6 rebounds), 10 assists, and 2 steals, and had the highest +/- of anyone on his team

like, he had a double double, was approaching a triple double with rebounds of all things, was the only other warrior in double figures besides kd, and you're trying to claim others have been making excuses?

cmon man

Fjordson

I mean there isn't an angry sentence in that quote and Im not a Cavs fan. Calling spades, spades. The Curry thing is just interesting because of the multitude of excuses that get made for his uneven play.
Just assumed a take that dumb came from anger. My mistake.

And Cavs fan / Lebron fan, basically the same thing in this situation.

rambis

Banned
I know you already handwaved away the box score because reasons but steph was 11 for 22 from the field (50%), 6 for 11 from 3 (54.5%), had 6 rebounds (steph curry had 6 rebounds), 10 assists, and 2 steals, and had the highest +/- of anyone on his team

like, he had a double double, was approaching a triple double with rebounds of all things, was the only other warrior in double figures besides kd, and you're trying to claim others have been making excuses?

cmon man
He went on an insane run after they got up double digits. Shit happens. But yes people have been making excuses for Curry the last 3 years.

Just assumed a take that dumb came from anger. My mistake.

And Cavs fan / Lebron fan, same thing.
Maybe it came from facts? Idk. Im not a Lebron fan either.... must you lable anybody who doesnt share your miopic world view?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The problem with saying the Cavs played bad and using that as hope is that while that's true, the Warriors also played pretty badly offensively. Nobody besides Steph and KD really put pressure on the defense, they bricked a bunch of open looks, David West missed his shots, Sean "Mid Range God" Livingston missed a couple of good looks, Ian Clark missed shots he makes, Klay and Dray were like 6-28. IDK if that will happen again.

The worst part (for defenses) about Draymond Green offensively is that he's an excellent playmaker. If they start to double KD, they are going to do KD/Dray pick n rolls at the top of the key and get Draymond in a 4 on 3 situation where he thrives. If Curry is one of the other 3 warriors, he can move off ball and get into a situation where his gravity allows another player to drive to a less crowded lane, or get enough space for a three. The Draymond/anyone pick and rolls are deadly in general but good lord I can't imagine them trying to double KD.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

giphy.gif

Ronin Ray

"In the next decade" is a very long time to wait on hopes and dreams.

For the foreseeable future, there's no one that can beat with this Warriors team, and no one in the east that can even compete with whatever LeBron runs with. That's a problem. Everyone pretty much has to wait this era out.

The nba changes fast though. Things can always happen that are unexpected. Money, injuries ,ego , dumb owners , getting old, other teams taking off. A lot of things happen in sports. But yeah I would build my team young to play the long game and wait lol

phanphare

Banned
He went on an insane run after they got up double digits. Shit happens. But yes people have been making excuses for Curry the last 3 years.

well he doesn't really need an excuse for 2015, he was the main reason they won that year

2016 he was obviously injured which isn't an excuse as much as it is accepting reality but I'm sure you'll call it as such. just compare him dancing on love and tt every time they got switched onto him last night to last year and it's pretty clear, excuse or not.

like, the dude is one of the best playoff scorers of all time, doubly so from an efficiency standpoint

but ok

I'm fine with motion offense for the first 2-3 quarters but in the 4th, given the way teams grab and hold Curry coupled with refs swallowing their whistles, there better be a more steady diet of pick and rolls

nemesun

What a shit game that was last night. I had it right from the get go. The least interesting finals in a long time. After the warriors blow out the Cavs, the narrative will switch back to "Lebron needs more help!" The league needs to get its act together and find a remedy for the disgusting Super Team nonsense and while they're at it fix the Least. It's embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom