• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
KLove had 15 pts, 21 rebounds.
LeBron had 28 pts, 15 rebounds, 8 assists.
Kyrie had 24 points of his own.

Outside of Curry and Durant, you know who the next highest scorer was?

Draymond with 9 points on 3-12 shooting.

Klay also chipped in on the offensive side with 6 points on 3/16 shooting. (To his credit, he has been playing stellar defense).

The fact that the Warriors stifled them on defense deserves more credit as well.

It's really a wrap.

You're ignoring how many open looks the Cavs also missed. Kyle Korver alone missing that many open 3's (and contested 3's too, cause, shit) again is unlikely.

I'm not an idiot. I know the Cavs need to get hot at the same time as the Warriors get in a funk, but these are still things that could happen.

Tim Kawakami @timkawakami

Cleveland could possibly put JR Smith or Shumpert on Durant, but I don't think they like the Smith match-up and Shumpert is no-offense...
10:00 AM · Jun 2, 2017

Both are less than ideal options, Lue should be fired for even entertaining the possibility of putting JR Smith on Durant.

Shumpert might actually be the best option now that I think about it.

You're ignoring how many open looks the Cavs also missed. Kyle Korver alone missing that many open 3's (and contested 3's too, cause, shit) again is unlikely.

I'm not an idiot. I know the Cavs need to get hot at the same time as the Warriors get in a funk, but these are still things that could happen.

For as many open looks the Cavs missed, the Warriors had just as many.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The bitching about super teams is so overdone.

History looks back on the Heat favorably and without disdain because they only went two of four and it wasn't "easy" (even though they owned the East). Let's not forget that this team literally celebrated their superteam with a parade with and by saying "Not one, not two, not three."...and I fucking loved the Heatles. The Warriors aren't doing anything new. They're just doing it better.

Yeah, I get it, this Warriors team is better. Cry me a fucking river. They drafted their core, got lucky with Steph's ankles, and built an organization so great that the 2nd best player in the world chose them as a destination. I honestly don't understand the hate for greatness.

bionic77

People are suggesting the Cavs slow it down like they did in 2015 to give themselves a chance and I wonder if that is their best option.

No wonder Lue looks so damn old....

Another series I think about in terms of how things can change is the 98 series. Bulls lost game 1, had no home court advantage, almost lost game 2, then owned the Jazz in 3 and had a 3-1 lead by game 5, the series looked like a wrap but Bulls couldn't close then at game 6 im Utah Pippen got hurt and the Bulls were trailing for most of the game before they closed out, even then it came down to the last missed shot by Stockton. Things can get close no matter what

People are suggesting the Cavs slow it down like they did in 2015 to give themselves a chance and I wonder if that is their best option.

No wonder Lue looks so damn old....

Like you said no good options either way. Slowing down might work if they force turnovers and cut down their own turnovers so it doesn't lead to transition. I think this is where perhaps the lack of season-long preparation might hurt them

For as many open looks the Cavs missed, the Warriors had just as many.

Eh. Maybe.

Like I said, I get the Cavs need more breaks. But I don't care how good the Warriors defense is, the odds that they fall to such a deficit in rebounds and turnovers again seems unlikely. The odds they shoot that poorly again also seems unlikely. The odds are still stacked against them, but acting like these aren't also realities seems silly.

Cracklox

Both are less than ideal options, Lue should be fired for even entertaining the possibility of putting JR Smith on Durant.

Shumpert might actually be the best option now that I think about it.

Not Shump. he's an ok defender I guess but not nearly long enough.

JR seems like a good option. I hear Durant is pretty susceptible to backhands too

jrsmithslap.gif

Not that agree that this is how the Cavs should necessarily deal with KD, but JR gotta do JR

nemesun

The only good game during last year's Finals was game 7. For whatever reason, these two teams almost always blow each other out.

Hear, hear. They built this series up as a grudge match, redemption for Warriors or Goatness for Lebron. It's not even as entertaining as Heat/Spurs back and forth.

GoldChain

The bitching about super teams is so overdone.

History looks back on the Heat favorably and without disdain because they only went two of four and it wasn't "easy" (even though they owned the East). Let's not forget that this team literally celebrated their superteam with a parade with and by saying "Not one, not two, not three."...and I fucking loved the Heatles. The Warriors aren't doing anything new. They're just doing it better.

Yeah, I get it, this Warriors team is better. Cry me a fucking river. They drafted their core, got lucky with Steph's ankles, and built an organization so great that the 2nd best player in the world chose them as a destination. I honestly don't understand the hate for greatness.

The Heat comparison isnt exactly accurate. People look back fondly at the Heat because Lebron went there with Bosh and made them a contender. He didnt inherit a championship team like Durant did. In general, most people believe if you are playing sports at the highest level in the world, you would have a sense of competitive drive. Joining the team that embarrassed you in the playoffs last year is a bitch move no matter how you slice it.

So its not that people are just "hating", GS is a great team that took advantage of a new TV deal and were able to land one of the best players in the world in Durant. But he had options, and he chose the team thatll forever taint his claim to greatness.

I think where people begin to complain about GS is that the sport they love is no longer fun to watch. If you arent from Cleveland or GS, you pretty much play pretend for 82 games the last 3 seasons. And then we get to the finals where we see the titans collide, and its a boring blowout.

bionic77

I wish KD was a little more courageous like LeBron, who left the team that drafted him to join another players team, who was another top 3 player, and got a top 15 player and top 5 big man to join the group.

That was such a huge risk. No could have predicted, least of all LeBron, that they could have won multiple rings. I doubt you could even find a clip of him saying something because it was such a huge risk to put all those great players together. He was probably very quiet about the whole thing because putting all the best players on one team is obviously a big risk that could have ended disastrously. Nothing at all like what KD did, which betrayed the very essence of the game by joining another team that had a lot of great players on it.

But as we all know. He is a bitch or something whatever.

Not Shump. he's an ok defender I guess but not nearly long enough.

JR seems like a good option. I hear Durant is pretty susceptible to backhands too

jrsmithslap.gif

Not that agree that this is how the Cavs should necessarily deal with KD, but JR gotta do JR

lol yeah if Smith is going to bring the pain then he should get the assignment. JR isn't a bad defender all the time, but he has some ridiculous lapses and he's a very bad fit physically to slow down Durant, even worse than Shumpert. Seriously, he shouldn't be an option at all. If the Cavs aren't going to try Shumpert there because he's a shit player on offense or if they can't find Jefferson's HGH stash then they should just bite the bullet and put Lebron in Durant.

LeBron seemed oddly lackadaisical on defense, thought maybe I'm wrong here and it's just a few standout plays coming to mind.

If so, I'm sure his intensity on that end will pick up by Sunday. And with it most likely the rest of the team's D as well.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
LeBron seemed oddly lackadaisical on defense, thought maybe I'm wrong here and it's just a few standout plays coming to mind.

If so, I'm sure his intensity on that end will pick up by Sunday. And with it most likely the rest of the team's D as well.

They need better strategy more than more intensity. Quality over quantity.

I don't understand the back and forth Lebron did this and so KD did this argument. Like seriously, the point was brought home 40 pages ago. Both of them are bitches

Nafai1123

Banned
It people want to "blame" anyone for the lack of competition in the league, it's gotta be Lebron. We're living in the Bron era. He's the greatest player in the league and one of the best all time. He can kill any competition in his conference, and the team he has around him is an offensive powerhouse capable of beating anyone, anywhere, anytime. The Warriors are merely a response to this. They are the team built to beat Lebron, and like it or not KD is a necessary part of that formula. They wouldn't have won last night without him imo, and it's still way too early to say that this series isn't going to be competitive. Keep in mind the Warriors won games 1/2 last year by an average of 24 points.

20 years from now I think people will look back on these two teams as historically good and possibly one of the great rivalries in the history of the game. The King v The Kingslayers. I'm sure there will still be some salty AF old men who will be triggered when this era is mentioned, but I'm willing to bet that for the most part, it's looked upon fondly as a battle between the greatest player of a generation, and one of the greatest teams of all time.

Just my 2 cents.

Tim Kawakami @timkawakami

Cleveland could possibly put JR Smith or Shumpert on Durant, but I don't think they like the Smith match-up and Shumpert is no-offense...
10:00 AM · Jun 2, 2017

KD will just post up and fade into an automatic jumper
LeBron has to guard him or you give him at least 30

Max Barnes the real Cavs MVP

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't understand the back and forth Lebron did this and so KD did this argument. Like seriously, the point was brought home 40 pages ago. Both of them are bitches

The point brought home pages ago was to drop this nonsense moving forward actually. Can you not read?

They need better strategy more than more intensity. Quality over quantity.

Absolutely. At some point people need to stop making excuses for the lack of defensive plan by coach Lue and just call him out on this. It's tough to guard the Warriors and it's even tougher when your team features Irving and Love, but they shouldn't be this bad.

Cracklox

lol yeah if Smith is going to bring the pain then he should get the assignment. JR isn't a bad defender all the time, but he has some ridiculous lapses and he's a very bad fit physically to slow down Durant, even worse than Shumpert. Seriously, he shouldn't be an option at all. If the Cavs aren't going to try Shumpert there because he's a shit player on offense or if they can't find Jefferson's HGH stash then they should just bite the bullet and put Lebron in Durant.

Or KD like to run them breaks right. JR could go with this one. Couldn't find a gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpgXMHMp5nI

And yo,I've seen JR do some fucked up, funny shit, but this was probably going a bit far. Super-super sketchy

Absolutely. At some point people need to stop making excuses for the lack of defensive plan by coach Lue and just call him out on this. It's tough to guard the Warriors and it's even tougher when your team features Irving and Love, but they shouldn't be this bad.

Guess he's waiting for Game 2 to reveal his secret plan:

“We’ve got to hold back. We can’t show our hand early because … these are some good teams and we don’t want them to be able to come into a series and be able to adjust to what we do. We just have to be able to play our normal defense until we get there and then we will see what happens.”

The point brought home pages ago was to drop this nonsense moving forward actually. Can you not read?

Yes but I am still seeing arguments of who is singularly responsible for the creation for these super teams. And your specific post is calling out KD only, when I'm saying it's really both of them and their own decisions that led to this. Both players acted for their own interests.

Or KD like to run them breaks right. JR could go with this one. Couldn't find a gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpgXMHMp5nI

And yo,I've seen JR do some fucked up, funny shit, but this was probably going a bit far. Super-super sketchy

I like how he kind of looks at the ref and I'm sure he at least thought about complaining that he had his arms down lol.

I'm pretty sure his secret plan involves the other team bricking.

rambis

Banned
It people want to "blame" anyone for the lack of competition in the league, it's gotta be Lebron. We're living in the Bron era. He's the greatest player in the league and one of the best all time. He can kill any competition in his conference, and the team he has around him is an offensive powerhouse capable of beating anyone, anywhere, anytime. The Warriors are merely a response to this. They are the team built to beat Lebron, and like it or not KD is a necessary part of that formula. They wouldn't have won last night without him imo, and it's still way too early to say that this series isn't going to be competitive. Keep in mind the Warriors won games 1/2 last year by an average of 24 points.

20 years from now I think people will look back on these two teams as historically good and possibly one of the great rivalries in the history of the game. The King v The Kingslayers. I'm sure there will still be some salty AF old men who will be triggered when this era is mentioned, but I'm willing to bet that for the most part, it's looked upon fondly as a battle between the greatest player of a generation, and one of the greatest teams of all time.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't know that you "blame" anybody. I mean, Miami's Big 3 was obviously in response to Boston's who had a strangle hold over the East. The biggest team in the West was OKC which was another Big 3 for all intents and purposes and then you had the Lakers & Clippers making huge moves.

I think parity is an issue in the league but honestly I am not mad at all at GSW who has built there core mostly through the draft. The only issue is the KD signing, and that's mainly because A) most people thought it was unnecessary and beneath him to go to a stacked team and B) "If you can't beat em, join em" is generally a terrible message.

Overall I would much prefer the talent be spread out but there's no easy way to enforce that as a rule. It was a crying shame that OKC was forced to breakup and people are crying now that GSW doesn't have to. A medium would be nice but I don't see teams going backwards in that regards.

Such an obvious bluff, there's no fix for the Cavs defense with the way guys are doubling down on the double teams and lack of effort leaving guys open, and leaving the lane open. The problem with playing in the Eastern Conference is that it covers a lot of the Cavaliers' flaws but the habits were still there.

Cracklox

And just to rag on Shump some more, cos why not. I spotted at least four or 5 times where the Dubs left him WIDE open last night. It kinda look like they were gunna rotate on one or two of those and just went 'Nah, Just Shump. Let s gets a rebound a run a break eh'

Oh and a kinda like him too, he was solid coming out of college but has just seemed to de-evolve as his career goes on

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yes but I am still seeing arguments of who is singularly responsible for the creation for these super teams. And your specific post is calling out KD only, when I'm saying it's really both of them and their own decisions that led to this. Both players acted for their own interests.

I'm saying the entire conversation point has been ground into dust at this point when it comes to either KD or Lebron. What else more is there to say that hasn't been circulated over and over again? Whether it's about KD's decision, or Lebron setting a precedent, or the various league rules when it comes to contracts and salary caps resulting in these scenarios to occur, it's all been gone over multiple times. At this point further talk repeating these same points just comes off as bitching and ranting.

I haven't caught up completely with the thread yet from what's been posted overnight, but it's all beyond tiresome at this point. It will be a relevant talking point again if something occurs that's related, likely in the offseason thread, but for now everyone just needs to move on and not bloat the thread with these recurring ever-circular arguments.

It's like when the Lebron/Kobe/MJ debate pops up - it NEVER turns out good.

Tom Penny

Cavs can't do anything defensively except hope GS misses shots and turns out over more. They will turn it over more though. KD made it so Lebron can no longer cover a total scrub on offense and that is a trickle down effect. Expend tons of energy trying to stop KD and still have to score 25 a game or watch KD obliterate all other defensive options...

And just to rag on Shump some more, cos why not. I spotted at least four or 5 times where the Dubs left him WIDE open last night. It kinda look like they were gunna rotate on one or two of those and just went 'Nah, Just Shump. Let s gets a rebound a run a break eh'

Oh and a kinda like him too, he was solid coming out of college but has just seemed to de-evolve as his career goes on

Mind games x giving no respect.
Just gotta hit your shots to make them guard you, if you can't, why should I guard you.
Max Barnes effect

Tony Kukoč > All

Having endless arguments over which player is responsible for maintaining league competitiveness has got to be the dumbest fucking thing ever.

Last night looked a lot like how this entire postseason has looked for the Dubs, which is not good for Cleveland. Teams just can't hang for 48 minutes it seems.

Despite the Cavs getting smashed Game 1 and I truly believe they're going to get swept this series. Lebron is 1-7 in Game 1's of the Finals. Something to think about going forward in the series. Cavs fans you still have a little hope...

Despite the Cavs getting smashed Game 1 and I truly believe they're going to get swept this series. Lebron is 1-7 in Game 1's of the Finals. Something to think about going forward in the series. Cavs fans you still have a little hope...

His team has been the underdog in the Finals 4 times now, which itself is pretty crazy, but also probably explains that.

Cracklox

So... that means he's come back from that more then once to get a chip. Cool.

Not saying a sweep isn't out of the question, but that stat means nothing at this point
- edit - and i misread your last sentence. I thought you said Cavs fans have little hope. Derp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom