• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambis

Banned
well he doesn't really need an excuse for 2015, he was the main reason they won that year

2016 he was obviously injured which isn't an excuse as much as it is accepting reality but I'm sure you'll call it as such. just compare him dancing on love and tt every time they got switched onto him last night to last year and it's pretty clear, excuse or not.

like, the dude is one of the best playoff scorers of all time, doubly so from an efficiency standpoint

but ok

He absolutely shrunk at times in 2015, to the point that Delly became a household name briefly. Again, blanketly looking at box score numbers tells you nothing. There was literally no argument for Curry of Ai for FMVP.

people still replying to rambis & LegendofDragoonLives in NBA threads in 2017, smh
Im not sure what this is even supposed to mean.

Fjordson

Maybe it came from facts? Idk. Im not a Lebron fan either.... must you lable anybody who doesnt share your miopic world view?
Word you're looking for is myopic (though what a bizarre use of it lmao).

But maybe you're right man. Guess that's it.

I'm fine with motion offense for the first 2-3 quarters but in the 4th, given the way teams grab and hold Curry coupled with refs swallowing their whistles, there better be a more steady diet of pick and rolls
Agreed. In the playoffs that off-ball stuff just dies on the vine late in games. Like last night JR got beat on a jab step from Steph before a pindown screen and JR literally just shoved him into the front row, killing the play. The adjustment so far of more pick & roll action is great imo.

people still replying to rambis & LegendofDragoonLives in NBA threads in 2017, smh
Sports really make some people insane.

I always tell myself I won't respond to crazy posts, but oh well. Work is slow today.

What a shit game that was last night. I had it right from the get go. The least interesting finals in a long time. After the warriors blow out the Cavs, the narrative will switch back to "Lebron needs more help!" The league needs to get its act together and find a remedy for the disgusting Super Team nonsense and while they're at it fix the Least. It's embarrassing.

Yeah screw super teams!

Unless they are in your city then it's the BEST! I miss it so much. :(

phanphare

Banned
Im not sure what this is even supposed to mean.

giphy.gif

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I feel like a bad person for saying this, but I wonder if they should just let Mike Brown keep coaching and not mess with their current flow.

Overall, I'd much rather have Kerr, but I'm scared he'll go back to all his motion offense and off-ball action which just doesn't work against the Cavs. Anytime you try that crap they're just gonna hold Curry and Klay or knock them into the front row. Need to keep the ball in KD and Steph's hands.

Lmao. Cavs fans already this angry??

Y'all need to calm down. Don't forget the Warriors dominating early last year.
I have the exact same thought. It's crazy that we arrived at this point because Kerr is so great but it's an if it ain't broke don't fix it situation. Plus I'm still haunted by Kerr's game 7 Varajo decision. lol

He absolutely shrunk at times in 2015, to the point that Delly became a household name briefly. Again, blanketly looking at box score numbers tells you nothing. There was literally no argument for Curry of Ai for FMVP.

he had one bad shooting game of the span of six games

but i guess that doesn't matter because box scores are dumb

nemesun

Yeah screw super teams!

Unless they are in your city then it's the BEST! I miss it so much. :(
I could tolerate your lot, that Mavs finals complete meltdown was a thing of a beauty; and at least you had a decent Celts, Semi-competent Pacers to compete against in the Least, and lest we forget the Wild Wild West, every playoffs in the West was a grind.

The witchhunting and shaming of anyone as "fans of <team>" that critiques these teams is a sight to behold.

However, the in-between days on these threads has always been shiet.

mxgt

Banned
What a shit game that was last night. I had it right from the get go. The least interesting finals in a long time. After the warriors blow out the Cavs, the narrative will switch back to "Lebron needs more help!" The league needs to get its act together and find a remedy for the disgusting Super Team nonsense and while they're at it fix the Least. It's embarrassing.

top tier knee-jerk reaction

The problem is Ty Lue isn't even a real coach, he's just LeBron's errand boy, LBJ runs the team, don't expect Lue to come up with something special.

If Lebron was the real coach, you'd see arguments over Ty Lue's plays and the times he chooses to get him off the game. Like the quote below, Ty Lue is no Pat Riley but he's a decent enough coach.

Let's put it this way: if the Cavs had someone like Spoelstra, for example, coaching this team, their chances of winning would improve quite a lot.

Many mediocre ex players turn out to be great coaches, but Lue is no Pat Riley. He hasn't shown anything that would suggest that he is.

That's a bit of revisionist history considering Spoelstra got crapped on in the first year of the Big Three. People acted like he was barely a coach and just so happened to be carried by Lebron, Bosh, Wade. Take the all-star crew away from him and you'll see where he really shines.

nemesun

top tier knee-jerk reaction
We already had three Cavs v Warriors finals in a row. It sure is knee-jerk reaction. We gonna have as many finals with only these two team competing against each other as Rocky movies by the end of it.

The magician Mike Brown has arrived to change this league. To play Durant and Curry, who would ever thought of that? Just a brilliant gameplan all around.

All hail Mike Brown.

rambis

Banned
If Lebron was the real coach, you'd see arguments over Ty Lue's plays and the times he chooses to get him off the game. Like the quote below, Ty Lue is no Pat Riley but he's a decent enough coach.

That's a bit of revisionist history considering Spoelstra got crapped on in the first year of the Big Three. People acted like he was barely a coach and just so happened to be carried by Lebron, Bosh, Wade. Take the all-star crew away from him and you'll see where he really shines.

Spoelstra had a top defensive team with Wade and the Titos before the big three era. People shitting on him just never paid any attention. There was obviously a learning curve for him in actually dealing with the players but defensively at least, they were always gonna be special.

Cracklox

I see your avatar and offer you this. English Premier league, 3-4 teams dominate and won everything for 20 years. Now its may between 5 or 6. Spanish League has been about 2 teams forever. Italian League is maybe 3 or 4 clubs. German league is basically 2 (last time I checked. Bayern/Dortmund .Maybe a little different now). Dutch League: Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord for the longest time.

Point being those are other leagues, some even with similar levels of popularity around the world as the NBA, that have been dominated by 'superteams' basically for as long as the competition been running.

But then a bit off topic and apples/oranges, etc etc

So I also offer, its also been around alot longer then you would think in the NBA. The celtics teams in the 60s at the time would have been called a superteam. Likewise for Lakers and Celtics of the 80s.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

The only good game during last year's Finals was game 7. For whatever reason, these two teams almost always blow each other out.

Fjordson

I have the exact same thought. It's crazy that we arrived at this point because Kerr is so great but it's an if it ain't broke don't fix it situation. Plus I'm still haunted by Kerr's game 7 Varajo decision. lol
Oh god yeah. The kumbaya "strength in numbers" stuff is kinda like the motion off-ball stuff. All that is a major part of why the Dubs have been so successful over the course of a long season these last three years and 90% of the time it's great, but certain situations (like against a physical Cavs team) simpler = better. When you have offensive talents like Steph and KD sometimes you just gotta dumb it down and let them cook.

Ric Flair

Banned
The only way the NBA could avoid superteams imo would be to cap the amount of max/big money contracts a team can offer to 1. Teams like golden state would still exist but the dynasty couldn't last forever.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
The only way the NBA could avoid superteams imo would be to cap the amount of max/big money contracts a team can offer to 1. Teams like golden state would still exist but the dynasty couldn't last forever.

Super teams have always existed, the only difference now is that it's the players deciding where the super teams are.

Cavs as a whole didn't play well, at all. Excuse me for being skeptical about the Cavs having 20 turnovers and 0 steals and the Warriors tying the all-time low of 4 turnovers again.

There's a reason for those numbers that goes beyond sheer randomness and small sample size fluctuations: the Cavs are an atrocious defensive team and the Warriors are let's be honest here the best defense in the NBA. It's tough to turn the ball over when the other team can't guard you and the opposite is true.

Not saying those numbers will continue to be like that, but they didn't happen by chance and the Cavs need to play much better on defense if any significant change is going to happen.

Ric Flair

Banned
Super teams have always existed, the only difference now is that it's the players deciding where the super teams are.
Oh no doubt, I'm just thinking if there were an added incentive. Say the most KD could make with Golden State is 10 mil a season due to some cap rule where only one player can make over 10 a year, maybe he would have gone somewhere else to make twice as much.

Cracklox

Hey. You know what. This sums up the whole discussion pretty well.

Now is that a good/bad thing. <shrug> I unno

I'm just here cause I like basketball

Trey

Oh no doubt, I'm just thinking if there were an added incentive. Say the most KD could make with Golden State is 10 mil a season due to some cap rule where only one player can make over 10 a year, maybe he would have gone somewhere else to make twice as much.

This is already the case. Right now curry is getting paid fair below his value. Arguably Draymond is too, though to a lesser extent. Going forward Durant will take a pay cut as curry finally gets paid like an MVP.

Ronin Ray

Why would they avoid super teams though? There revenue, ratings etc go up with super teams. What is there incentive to change it? Like I know it sucks for alot of fans but it's great for the league .

Ric Flair

Banned
This is already the case. Right now curry is getting paid fair below his value. Arguably Draymond is too, though to a lesser extent. Going forward Durant will take a pay cut as curry finally gets paid like an MVP.
Eh, each of those guys you mentioned make over 12+ a year and KD is making close to 30 a year. Not saying youre not right or even that my idea is feasible, but after a certain point money talks. I don't see them being able to keep that core together if KD had to take a 17 or 18 mil per year pay cut to make it happen

I'm not going to read this whole thread, but people aren't serious when they say "Cavs in _," right? Warriors are only going to get better from game 1. They missed a ton of lay-ups, Klay was MIA on offense, and Steph had a pedestrian game. Whewlad.

"In the next decade" is a very long time to wait on hopes and dreams.

For the foreseeable future, there's no one that can beat with this Warriors team, and no one in the east that can even compete with whatever LeBron runs with. That's a problem. Everyone pretty much has to wait this era out.

Lol dude it's only game 1 and the Spurs looked pretty good against them when they were healthy. Also new players and trades always happen. You are overreacting.

Ric Flair

Banned
Why would they avoid super teams though? There revenue, ratings etc go up with super teams. What is there incentive to change it? Like I know it sucks for alot of fans but it's great for the league .
That's another good point, and maybe for guys like KD and Steph the contract isnt as important, but to guys like Draymond and Klay, maybe it could be? I'm not sure. Maybe its a bad idea

Tim Kawakami @timkawakami

Cleveland could possibly put JR Smith or Shumpert on Durant, but I don't think they like the Smith match-up and Shumpert is no-offense...
10:00 AM · Jun 2, 2017

Eh, each of those guys you mentioned make over 12+ a year and KD is making close to 30 a year. Not saying youre not right or even that my idea is feasible, but after a certain point money talks. I don't see them being able to keep that core together if KD had to take a 17 or 18 mil per year pay cut to make it happen

KD already stated he'll take a pay cut to keep the core together. Those were basically literally his words...

Not to mention the Dubs can resign their own players for good money even though they are over the max. Just a luxury tax slap on the wrist, really.

nemesun

I see your avatar and offer you this. English Premier league, 3-4 teams dominate and won everything for 20 years. Now its may between 5 or 6. Spanish League has been about 2 teams forever. Italian League is maybe 3 or 4 clubs. German league is basically 2 (last time I checked. Bayern/Dortmund .Maybe a little different now). Dutch League: Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord for the longest time.

Point being those are other leagues, some even with similar levels of popularity around the world as the NBA, that have been dominated by 'superteams' basically for as long as the competition been running.

But then a bit off topic and apples/oranges, etc etc

So I also offer, its also been around alot longer then you would think in the NBA. The celtics teams in the 60s at the time would have been called a superteam. Likewise for Lakers and Celtics of the 80s.

I've been around the game since the bad boy Pistons, Kareem/Magic Lakers, Larry's Celts. You don't have to lecture me about the history of the league based on my avatar. Comparing NBA to European football is like comparing badminton to tennis. Your knowledge of football/soccer is very recent. Go back and read on Nottingham Forrest, Aston Villa, Everton and get back to me about your notion of super teams in Europe.

I'm not going to read this whole thread, but people aren't serious when they say "Cavs in _," right? Warriors are only going to get better from game 1. They missed a ton of lay-ups, Klay was MIA on offense, and Steph had a pedestrian game. Whewlad.

The same is true of the Cavs, though.

ViciousDS

Banned
The fact that people say this amazes me. I guess this is why ESPN says the Warriors are underrated defensively every single time they bring up the Warriors' defense.

Small ball doesn't matter when you have a DPOY, one of the greatest defenders of all time, in Draymond Green.

people forget that a person in the 90's called dennis rodman shut down a dude half a foot taller and 150 pounds bigger than him.
'

Size doesn't always matter

see dennis rodman

Cracklox

I've been around the game since the bad boy Pistons, Karim/Magic Lakers, Larry's Celts. You don't have to lecture me about the history of the league based on my avatar. Comparing NBA to European football is like comparing badminton to tennis. Your knowledge of football/soccer is very recent. Go back and read on Nottingham Forrest, Aston Villa, Everton and get back to me about your notion of super teams in Europe.

For the record we've followed the league for around the same time

Aye and I acknowledged the apples and oranges part. And yeah I've only really followed the EPL since its inception in the early 90s and thats what I specified when I mentioned the dominance from there. And if I'm not being schooled by a European on football history then there's something wrong lol.

But in the end it was just a round about way to disagree with, what I felt was straying into hot take territory. No offense intended

The same is true of the Cavs, though.

KLove had 15 pts, 21 rebounds.
LeBron had 28 pts, 15 rebounds, 8 assists.
Kyrie had 24 points of his own.

Outside of Curry and Durant, you know who the next highest scorer was?

Draymond with 9 points on 3-12 shooting.

Klay also chipped in on the offensive side with 6 points on 3/16 shooting. (To his credit, he has been playing stellar defense).

The fact that the Warriors stifled them on defense deserves more credit as well.

It's really a wrap.

Klay locked in all game. That's why it was annoying to see so many people say trade Klay trade Klay all game. There's more than one way to help your team than scoring points.

Klay is awesome. I think what the warriors can do a little bit differently is to look for him quicker. There are instances throughout the playoffs where usually ball would swing his way in the past but not anymore. I think that kills his timing and rhythm.

Ranvier

While watching the game I totally agreed with you guys. They should protect the lane and stop the guaranteed dunk and let curry shoot the open 3 and hope he misses. Sure steph has a lot of gravity and all that but common, there's still a chance he's going to miss.

However, looking at it on paper it might be better to give up the dunk.

2 points 100% of the time vs 3 points 70% of the time. (This is just a rough estimate. I'm assuming steph is around 70% wide open from the corner 3. Probably more like 80% but lowered the percentage a little due to chances of errant passes, ball not being caught in rhythm etc etc)

2 x 1 = 2 points
3 x .7 = 2.1 points

Maybe the Cavs are making the right decision?

That being said, I'd still tell them to try and stop the dunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom