• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kettch

My favorite play of the night was definitely the fast inbound and push down the court while Lebron was busy posing under the basket after a dunk.

Not only made him look like a fool, but also killed any momentum they could have gotten from it.

Cracklox

Someone call Delly.

He's from not far from me. I might be able to track down, say his dads number. He could put you in touch I'm sure ;)

My favorite Delly moment: shutting down and dominating Steph for a half in game 3, 2015, right when the Steph Curry supernova stuff was going on
lets not mention the second half though...
. He also played pretty damn well at the Olympics last year.

The Bucks stint probably hasn't been amazing, especially considering what they paid, but when the team have a young 6 foot 11 dude with a 7 4 wingspan, who can handle the ball, has court vision and can run an offense pretty well, watareyougunnado?

Hmm, it looks like the real problem really is KD, as people expected but it's still surprising to actually see it when we've seen this team sans KD go against the Cavs two years in a row. I'm not too sure what LeBron can do about that. The lack of rim protection is one thing, but I don't see that there's anyone who can stop KD. I can see him averaging 35ppg in this finals unless they completely change their gameplan. The problem is that doubling KD will never work on this team, ESPECIALLY if they go small.

The fact that the Warriors now have 2 people who can guard 1-5 and Klay Thompson being maybe the most efficient person I've ever seen at containing (not stopping) Kyrie is also a huge problem. Kevin Love looked like he was so surprised that he wasn't getting the same looks he was getting against the East teams.

Also, so ridiculously confused at the "KD isn't competitive" schtick. LeBron has literally spent the latter half of his illustrious career stacking the deck and wiping the East clean off the map. KD just did it where he needed to. It's the perfect fit and it shows.
both iggy and kd can guard Kyrie better than Klay can, they can also stop him instead of containing him.

natjjohn

Going so far how i expected. Still seeing this as a 4-5 game series. NBA is a two team league with one of those two teams being clearly better than the other.

Adam Silver trying to suggest the NBA is not a two team league is a joke.

I wonder if LeBron is thinking retirement right now. I mean the Warriors are going to be this good for the next 4 years at minimum. Dude is getting really old with alot of minutes.

Stahp with this stupid narrative

Let's put it this way: if the Cavs had someone like Spoelstra, for example, coaching this team, their chances of winning would improve quite a lot.

Many mediocre ex players turn out to be great coaches, but Lue is no Pat Riley. He hasn't shown anything that would suggest that he is.

Tom Penny

It's funny because Durant going down the best route in order to win is the definition of being competitive. He did exactly what was necessary within his means to get his best chance at winning. He optimized, he's playing the best basketball of his career, and he stands poised to achieve ultimate victory.

What Durant did - and is doing - is only not competitive in a scrub mentality sort of way.
Taking the easiest route epitomizes competitiveness.

FZZ

Banned
Honestly looking at how bad the bench played and how many damn turnovers the Cavs had

the series can still be competitive

it's just fucking dumb that they have to play at a 95%+ clip to just maybe beat the warriors

whereas the Warriors just felt like they were maybe utilizing 75% of their energy this game

the disparity is real

Let's put it this way: if the Cavs had someone like Spoelstra, for example, coaching this team, their chances of winning would improve quite a lot.

Many mediocre ex players turn out to be great coaches, but Lue is no Pat Riley. He hasn't shown anything that would suggest that he is.

If Spoelstra was Cavs head coach honestly

I'd take Cavs in 5

dude is a mastermind

ViciousDS

Banned
I can't take 2 more years of these two teams in the finals........thats boring as fuck.

No one is taking Lebron in the east anytime soon and its obvious......sorry folks but the Celtics are not close to winning anything, they are not a good team yet. The gap between the celtics and cavs was already huge.

Warriors with KD stating he would take a pay cut to keep the warriors core together means at least everyone in that starting lineup is locked and players will chase easy rings with that young team.

The only team yet again next year that will challenge the warriors is going to be the Spurs especially if they can lure chris paul there for 1 or 2 years.

Why do they let teams get stacked this bad. What is the actual point of watching basketball outside of 1 series in the playoffs and then the NBA finals?

If the Cavs get swept I hope the ratings are shit to force the league to do something.

FZZ

Banned
I am not joking when I say Lonzo is going to be the face of the league breh

2-3 years TOPS for Lakers to dethrone Warriors in the west

Caliofornia only has ONE team worth a damn and that's the Lakers bby

if Spurs get CP3 tho they'll beat the Warriors, I agree with that

Celtics Lakers 2020
We back 😎

Jefferson, 2 Williams, Fyre, Korver are all gone this off season
Incoming Melo 👀

Hot take from last series is still true, Cavs defense is shit, Celtics couldn't hit their open shots , Warriors can and have enough fire power to contain Kyrie x LeBron

If Celtics could go up 15 in Cleveland x come back from 21 down , what will the Warriors do 😨

Tom Penny

Celtics Lakers 2020
We back 😎

Jefferson, 2 Williams, Fyre, Korver are all gone this off season
Incoming Melo 👀

Hot take from last series is still true, Cavs defense is shit, Celtics couldn't hit their open shots , Warriors can and have enough fire power to contain Kyrie x LeBron

If Celtics could go up 15 in Cleveland x come back from 21 down , what will the Warriors do 😨

Never be down 21...

I would hope they win, 4 stars vs 2.5 makes no sense.
I don't wanna hear any garbage excuses from leStans. Lebron has been stacking the deck for half his career and only started winning when he did it. KD just out Lebroned Lebron at his own game.

Makes sense why general nba fans are pissed, just don't want to hear this from Lebron fans 😭 because he got beat at his own game.

Also this series is nowhere from being over, just one game. If Cavs plan is just to focus on the 3pt shot though,KD is gonna average 40. That KD dunk where both players head towards off the ball Steph was embarrassing D.

natjjohn

Spurs with Chris Paul still lose to the Warriors barring of course injuries. Should those injuries occur, the spurs would lose to the Cavs.

Celts/Spurs/any other NBA steam is meaningless right now outside of the Cavs and Warriors, and really just the Warriors. This series will cement it outside of the fans that want to believe their team is somehow relevant.

Of course anything could happen (injuries, etc.), but that's unlikely. Boston probably could make things interesting if they were willing to ship the Nets picks and a young asset (Jaylon Brown) to net a superstar (George, Butler) and probably more; however, Ainge won't do such a deal IMO. Instead, Celts will remain one of the 28 irrelevant teams in the NBA.

Spurs with Chris Paul still lose to the Warriors barring of course injuries. Should those injuries occur, the spurs would lose to the Cavs.

Celts/Spurs/any other NBA steam is meaningless right now outside of the Cavs and Warriors, and really just the Warriors. This series will cement it outside of the fans that want to believe their team is somehow relevant.

Of course anything could happen (injuries, etc.), but that's unlikely. Boston probably could make things interesting if they were willing to ship the Nets picks and a young asset (Jaylon Brown) to net a superstar (George, Butler) and probably more; however, Ainge won't do such a deal IMO. Instead, Celts will remain one of the 28 irrelevant teams in the NBA.

I'm not sure if that even makes things interesting for the league. An IT/Hayward/PG13/Hortford team might beat the Cavs but they're still probably not beating a healthy Warriors. May as well build a team that can compete in 5+ years.

Ripenen

Taking the easiest route epitomizes competitiveness.

Wouldn't the easiest route be to join an underperforming small market team like say Orlando or Phoenix? That way you don't have to worry about the playoffs, you don't have play best of 7s every year against the top teams in your conference, you have little to no expectations put on you so you can just show up and sell jerseys to the home crowd and that's enough. Put up nice individual stats and call it a career.

If he's not competitive, it seems like that would be way "easier" than joining a team full of superstars who are guaranteed to go deep into the playoffs every year and to be the most studied and hated team in the league.

Lue's no crazy good coach, but he still is a good coach. He beat Kerr in the coaching game last finals, he's a classic player's coach with the respect of his locker room, and he's great ATO

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6e8ndx/ty_lue_has_a_notebook_of_plays_and_atos_he_keeps/

u/CiFiniamo said:
Ty Lue has a notebook of plays and ATOs he keeps in a safe deposit box in Vegas

Source: https://theathletic.com/63541/2017/05/29/tyronn-lue-drawing-up-winners-for-cavs-at-crucial-times/ (Behind a paywall)

Great anecdote in this story about Ty Lue and his ATO plays. Couple other highlights since people probably can't read the whole thing:

Lue studies every team's ATOs. One time for the ASG last year, he used a Raptors ATO in practice and Lowry and DDR were stunned he knew their play

Doc Rivers would draw up ATOs and erase them, but Lue saved them all and ended up recording 887 ATOs from Doc

Cavs were second to BOS (GG Brad Stevens) in PPP on ATOs.
Lue still routinely studies the teams and coaches he respects the most. Last summer he recorded all of the ATOs used by the Hawks, Hornets, Spurs, Trail Blazers and Celtics. He'll tweak them to fit the Cavs' personnel. Some he might never use, but his mind never stops tinkering with them.

By Lue's own estimation, he has recorded between 2,000 and 3,000 ATOs. He has no idea how many of those he actually used this season

Looking back at last night's game, from before I fell asleep, some core ideas might still work out. The Cavs are still roughing up Curry. They're doing what the Spurs did the Rockets and Warriors with staying home on the shooters.

Letting Kevin Durant score more inside might be some form of what the Spurs occasionally did with Harden - give him the shot, but not the other players. I don't know if it can tire him out with the Dubs (he gets to rest so much more), but perhaps luring him into old habits is another goal of that strategy.

That being said, unlike the Spurs, they don't have huge bigs to just collapse and protect the rim. Some form of what the Spurs did, in just giving up the mid-range entirely, might work though, although the Dubs will still shoot those shots, and make them.

The turnovers were horrendous, and sloppy, and honestly might be the biggest thing they can improve. Can't give a team that deadly in transition so many turnovers.

Deron Williams and Kyle Korver were maybe overwhelmed by the moment, idk. But they have to step up more for that bench. Korver is honestly an x-factor for this Cavs team, if he gets hot he can help immensely with matching the Dubs' shooting.

Richard Jefferson is not who he was a year ago. Him being Lebron's replacement exacerbates the issue of Lebron being off the court. I honestly wonder if something like playing Shumpert, JR, or Korver at the 3 with Love and TT out there might not be a better solution.

The big 3 played well. Main improvement on their end has to be those Lebron turnovers, they were BAD.

Tristan Thompson maybe confuses me the most. Tbh, looking at Kevin Love's 21 rebounds and LeBron's 15, this might just be one of those cases where he is boxing out properly and letting his teammates get the ball, but he only played 22 minutes, so I'm pretty sure the Cavs agree with me in saying he didn't play well. Which might be the 2nd easiest/most fixable thing the Cavs need to work on to improve.

The Cavs defense, at least the strategy, to me seems like on paper is fine but suffers from miscommunication errors on containing all those dunks and drives. To some extent, they definitely seem more willing to give up drives than allow ball movement and 3s to take over, but they still can't leave them that wide open, and it felt like there was supposed to be someone rotating over to Durant while everyone else stayed home on many of those plays.

That being said, damn did Harrison Barnes improve. So much for all the Dubs fans not wanting to give him a max, hell, he even grew to 7 ft!

tl;dr: Cavs' biggest issue was dumb turnovers, role players not showing up, and what seems like miscommunication to contest drives. Strategy seems alright.

rugioh

Banned
I am not joking when I say Lonzo is going to be the face of the league

image.php

neptunes

Yup.

Literally the only thing Lue is better at than Blatt is kissing Lebron's and the media's asses.

Their D has been trash since Blatt left.
Their defense sucks because they're old, JR,Bron,Frye, Deron, Korver, and RJ are all 30+. A lot of them were never known to be elite defenders throughout their careers.

Kyrie, Tristan and Shumpert are the only young guys in their rotation.

rambis

Banned
Game would've been alot closer if CLE wasn't so careless with the ball. I think at one point they had like 17 more shot attempts and were only up like 10pts. Cavs also gave up far to often trying to defend Durant. Anytime he got like 3-4 strides away from a lane they seem to just put their head down and get ready to inbound. I don't see how anybody actually watching can say Finals Curry isn't a real thing. I know what the box says but the PbP shows he was mediocre and shrunk for large parts of the night. Only to wake up when the game became unreachable.

FanRag Sports @FanRagSports

Report | #Warriors coach Steve Kerr feeling better and could return for Game 2.
Report | Steve Kerr feeling better and could return for Game 2
fanragsports.com
6:16 AM · Jun 2, 2017

JCizzle

fanragsports.com
I'd feel better too after watching that beat down.

BadAss2961

fanragsports.com
He should hang back while things are going well. Save his appearance for if/when the team needs a lift.

I want to see Mike Brown give LeBron this L anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom