• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something has to happen to the Warriors for the Cavs to win this thing. A suspension, a couple injuries. They aren't winning if this series is played straight up.

jmdajr

I wish KD was a little more courageous like LeBron, who left the team that drafted him to join another players team, who was another top 3 player, and got a top 15 player and top 5 big man to join the group.

That was such a huge risk. No could have predicted, least of all LeBron, that they could have won multiple rings. I doubt you could even find a clip of him saying something because it was such a huge risk to put all those great players together. He was probably very quiet about the whole thing because putting all the best players on one team is obviously a big risk that could have ended disastrously. Nothing at all like what KD did, which betrayed the very essence of the game by joining another team that had a lot of great players on it.

But as we all know. He is a bitch or something whatever.

hey...

I hear ya

So... that means he's come back from that more then once to get a chip. Cool.

Not saying a sweep isn't out of the question, but that stat means nothing at this point
- edit - and i misread your last sentence. I thought you said Cavs fans have little hope. Derp

Exactly. I don't know why people keep going back to he Game 1 stats and consistently disregard context, it's as bad as people who keep bringing up the "Cavs and Warriors both got blown out." The key is in the small details.

bionic77

I raise you virgin A.C. Green
:lol

I thought we were limiting the discussion to mere mortals!

Obviously virgin AC Green and virgin Eli Manning were on another level, but that brings up the whole virgin/non virgin rankings and it can get messy. I mean you could not be human and remain a virgin in LA with the Showtime Lakers. Green is a higher evolved being and it's not fair to regular mortals to be compared to him.

Even if LeBron or Steph won the next 10 titles it would not be as impressive as ACs virgin streak in the 80s.

Tom Penny

4 straight times. It's actually 6 times overall if I'm not mistaken (2011 and 2013 being the two exceptions).
It's fine that he loses in the Finals. Getting through the Eastern Conference gauntlet to reach the Finals every year is even a greater feat.

It's fine that he loses in the Finals. Getting through the Eastern Conference gauntlet to reach the Finals every year is even a greater feat.

If he did this in the West it would be even more impressive. There are like 3 competitive teams in the East. The rest are just subpar..

While watching the game I totally agreed with you guys. They should protect the lane and stop the guaranteed dunk and let curry shoot the open 3 and hope he misses. Sure steph has a lot of gravity and all that but common, there's still a chance he's going to miss.

However, looking at it on paper it might be better to give up the dunk.

2 points 100% of the time vs 3 points 70% of the time. (This is just a rough estimate. I'm assuming steph is around 70% wide open from the corner 3. Probably more like 80% but lowered the percentage a little due to chances of errant passes, ball not being caught in rhythm etc etc)

2 x 1 = 2 points
3 x .7 = 2.1 points

Maybe the Cavs are making the right decision?

That being said, I'd still tell them to try and stop the dunk.
No its not the right decision at all

according to the stats pulled from NBA.com in these play offs

Curry is shooting 53% on wide open threes (nearest defender is 6' away or farther) and 41.7% on open threes (nearest defender 4-6' away)

I don't see a way to filter for shooting in the paint wide open for Durant, lets take a look at how he's doing on 2 pointers overall if we say he's pulling up for a midrange.

While Durant is shooting 83% when he's wide open and 74% when he's open

Curry expected point per shot
1.59 when he's wide open
1.25 when he's open

Durant expected point per shot
1.66 when wide open
1.48 when he's open

actually this pretty crazy. Durant is ridiculous lol

its worse to let Durant take an open 2 than it is to let Curry take an open 3 never mind just letting Durant dunk it

this Warriors team is crazy

edit: here is the link where I pulled the numbers from if anyone wants to check

If he did this in the West it would be even more impressive. There are like 3 competitive teams in the East. The rest are just subpar..

Competitive with who? With each other? There are not 3 teams in the East that can compete with the Cavs. With each other, sure. The Nets and the Magic are competitive with each other too.

VeeP

Everyone know's Cave dropped to number 2 seed so they wouldn't have to play the Bulls and Wizards #Cavsarefrauds.

Everyone know's Cave dropped to number 2 seed so they wouldn't have to play the Bulls and Wizards #Cavsarefrauds.

So it wasn't KG, PP, and Ray Allen that Lebron was scared of, it was Rajon Rondo.

In all seriousness, I don't think the Wizards would have done anything to Cleveland.

What player had the most rings with different teams?
Does anyone have rings with 3 different teams?

Robert Horry - 2 with Rockets, 3 with Lakers, 2 with Spurs

No its not the right decision at all

according to the stats pulled from NBA.com in these play offs

Curry is shooting 53% on wide open threes (nearest defender is 6' away or farther) and 41.7% on open threes (nearest defender 4-6' away)

I don't see a way to filter for shooting in the paint wide open for Durant, lets take a look at how he's doing on 2 pointers overall if we say he's pulling up for a midrange.

While Durant is shooting 83% when he's wide open and 74% when he's open

Curry expected point per shot
1.59 when he's wide open
1.25 when he's open

Durant expected point per shot
1.66 when wide open
1.48 when he's open

actually this pretty crazy. Durant is ridiculous lol

its worse to let Durant take an open 2 than it is to let Curry take an open 3 never mind just letting Durant dunk it

this Warriors team is crazy

edit: here is the link where I pulled the numbers from if anyone wants to check

Other factors you're forgetting.

Good shooting tends to lead to more good shooting. The Spurs blocked off the Rockets 3 pt shooting because when one person gets hot, other players tend to get hot too.

Also, the more you force one player to move, the more he has to expend effort.

The answer isn't as simple as you make it out to be

So it wasn't KG, PP, and Ray Allen that Lebron was scared of, it was Rajon Rondo.

In all seriousness, I don't think the Wizards would have done anything to Cleveland.

Wade
Old man Wade turns it up to 110% when playing against his buddy LeBron
Bulls had decent bigs

Pacers was just take out George and win.
I'd rather face the garbage Raptors than the wizards

LeBron knew what he was doing

SLAM Magazine @SLAMonline

Lue on if he is considering any lineup changes for Game 2: "No."
12:59 PM · Jun 2, 2017

It's understandable Lue got shooked the moment Tavares went down. The towel game is essential in the nba and the cavs are lacking refreshment in every timeout. RJ and Frye towel technique is as important (if not more) than Lebron itself. He has nowhere to go but to play the same players.

If only Al Horford was in the Cavs.

With curry the issue isn't just the one shot you'd be giving up, but also how that affects the game going forward. If he gets hot it's basically game over for the Cavs.

Robert Horry - 2 with Rockets, 3 with Lakers, 2 with Spurs

Other factors you're forgetting.

Good shooting tends to lead to more good shooting. The Spurs blocked off the Rockets 3 pt shooting because when one person gets hot, other players tend to get hot too.

Also, the more you force one player to move, the more he has to expend effort.

The answer isn't as simple as you make it out to be

I was just addressing the expected value of the shot not actually trying to make a comprehensive look at it. There's definitely other factors. Can't remember where I might have read it but if I remember right there was some statistician that looked at if a made basket increased the likelihood of the next basket going and found no correlation. I don't remember much about it so maybe someone here knows about it.

Fjordson

God Draymond is so insane on D. Re-watching his defensive possessions and he's sniffing out all of Cleveland's actions and directing everyone to the right spot. Almost flawless quarterbacking the defense.

There was a Kyrie postup where Draymond actually tosses Zaza over to double, like grabbed him by the jersey lmao. And it resulted in a turnover.

God Draymond is so insane on D. Re-watching his defensive possessions and he's sniffing out all of Cleveland's actions and directing everyone to the right spot. Almost flawless quarterbacking the defense.

There was a Kyrie postup where Draymond actually tosses Zaza over to double, like grabbed him by the jersey lmao. And it resulted in a turnover.
I enjoy watching their defense so much.

Velcro Fly

Meanwhile the Cavs are like

what is defense?

I buy this as long as Pop is still there

Edit: Actually I hope that lady assistant is his successor and wins

I think Kawhi's ascension has reinvigorated Pop to stay coaching longer. He used to talk about how he would retire when Timmy does, but the last few years he has changed his tune and said he doesn't have a planned time to retire and said something along the lines of "what the hell else would I do with my time?"

Nafai1123

Banned

Just saw this video breaking down why Dray is such a defensive mastermind. As you mentioned, his ability to know what the offense is going to do and direct the entire defense on the fly is just incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyt1EFkB7gs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom