• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason McIntyre @jasonrmcintyre

-8.5 for Game 2, I'd let it ride.

Guessing no major changes from Ty Lue (lineups, LeBron not on Durant, etc) until Game 3.

legend166

The only way the NBA could avoid superteams imo would be to cap the amount of max/big money contracts a team can offer to 1. Teams like golden state would still exist but the dynasty couldn't last forever.

Nah, what you do is remove the max contract limit. Only problem is the players association probably wouldn't allow it because while your top 10-15 would see their salaries skyrocket your second tier of stars wouldn't get the same amount. But those top 10-15 would be much more equally distributed. Imagine if Orlando could offer Durant 60 million a year? Would he go to Golden State for 25?

nemesun

The only way Cavs could make themselves competitive In this series is if they somehow drag Jesus Shuttlesworth back from retirement.

So... that means he's come back from that more then once to get a chip. Cool.

Not saying a sweep isn't out of the question, but that stat means nothing at this point
- edit - and i misread your last sentence. I thought you said Cavs fans have little hope. Derp

In fact, he has won all of his championships after losing G1.

bionic77

The only way Cavs could make themselves competitive In this series is if they somehow drag Jesus Shuttlesworth back from retirement.
Allen was not a great defender in Miami and came off the bench. That was 4 years ago.

He ain't coming through that door.

What the Cavs really need is to trade back Love for Wiggins.

It's fine that he loses in the Finals. Getting through the Eastern Conference gauntlet to reach the Finals every year is even a greater feat.

Sure, beating the Toronto Raptors of the all-time greats Lowry-De Rozan and the Celtics deserves a lot of credit.

EDIT: Sorry, realised it was a joke lol

God Draymond is so insane on D. Re-watching his defensive possessions and he's sniffing out all of Cleveland's actions and directing everyone to the right spot. Almost flawless quarterbacking the defense.

100% this, Draymond just had quite possibly the best defensive game I have ever watched. It was beautiful, he was making plays all around and he was just in perfect position all the time. Tremendous stuff.

LetsGoWarriors @LetsGoWarriors

Well it's either that or Rih-rant!
Mychal Thompson @champagnennuts
Hmmm...KD and Rihanna? If they evr became an item...Wud they be...Stay with me,now...Durranna?
3:57 PM · Jun 2, 2017

paolo11

God Draymond is so insane on D. Re-watching his defensive possessions and he's sniffing out all of Cleveland's actions and directing everyone to the right spot. Almost flawless quarterbacking the defense.

There was a Kyrie postup where Draymond actually tosses Zaza over to double, like grabbed him by the jersey lmao. And it resulted in a turnover.

Draymond is very smart defensively. I love this guy.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Just saw this video breaking down why Dray is such a defensive mastermind. As you mentioned, his ability to know what the offense is going to do and direct the entire defense on the fly is just incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyt1EFkB7gs

Yup. Highest basketball IQ in the game and I'm not sure there is a close second. He might also be the best passer in the game...just an incredible ability to predict where players are going and deliver the ball exactly where it needs to be when it needs to be there.

The Cavs better not sleep on Klay thinking that he is new Max Barnes, because the minute that shot starts to fall.... 22pt lead turn into 50.

And watching hi D the fuck up on Love, Irving, James and Smith had my HYPED as fuck last night. He knows his worth, and as long as he stays 100% effort on D, he also knows that eventually those shots he's taking will fall, and then the Cavs are TOASTED.

and if this leads to a Dubs sweep (31-1 since the signing), or even just a ring period (16-1?) 7
that toaster needs to be encased in glass in the new SF Arena being built for all to see,

"But Warriors should trade Klay to the Raptors, he's useless!" They said. Nope, dudes just in a funk, and he's making it up with amazing defense.

And that Kyrie shot, god damn.

Jokes aside. I was would love to see Klay go to another team in free agency.

Him on any young rising team would be scary.

He is getting buried behind KD and Steph, reduced to super 3 and D guy. Now imagine him on a less stacked team were he is the best shooter and get the ball far more often.

He is getting buried behind KD and Steph, reduced to super 3 and D guy. Now imagine him on a less stacked team were he is the best shooter and get the ball far more often.

But he still gets plenty of shots, and has opportunity with the ball as he is one of the leads of the 2nd unit, but it probably does hurt that he isn't Steph's 1st option on a kick out.... especially since his shots that he has been taking haven't been falling.

But I know that if Klay was hitting, Steph would go out of his way to find him. Dray and KD would probably be sure to find him too.
His moment will come. I'm hoping in game 3 he goes off for some ridiculous 3streak w/ minimal dribbles again. I like to believe he's saving up for a big blowout performance.

Imagine Klay on the bucks...

God damn

But he still gets plenty of shots, and has opportunity with the ball as he is one of the leads of the 2nd unit, but it probably does hurt that he isn't Steph's 1st option on a kick out.... especially since his shots that he has been taking haven't been falling.

But I know that if Klay was hitting, Steph would go out of his way to find him. Dray and KD would probably be sure to find him too.
His moment will come. I'm hoping in game 3 he goes off for some ridiculous 3streak w/ minimal dribbles again. I like to believe he's saving up for a big blowout performance.

You need to give him more shots in the first place for him to get hot. You cant let him take only 2 or 3 shots per quarter and expect him to get hot.

When you take so few shots every brick feels like a stab in the heart. You missed and Lord knows when you will get another chance.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Klay shot 18 times a game this season, lots of them wide open or high quality looks because of the team he is on. I don't really know what more you think he can do, especially with opposing teams locked in on him as the #1 option that needs to be slowed down.

BadAss2961

Lol dude it's only game 1 and the Spurs looked pretty good against them when they were healthy. Also new players and trades always happen. You are overreacting.
Am I really overreacting?

What fanbase other than Cavs and Warriors feel like they'll be ready to compete for a championship next year? Maybe Spurs IF they can get Chris Paul, that's about it. If you're not one of these teams, you're just playing for the privilege of losing to them in the playoffs.

You need to give him more shots in the first place for him to get hot. You cant let him take only 2 or 3 shots per quarter and expect him to get hot.

When you take so few shots every brick feels like a stab in the heart. You missed and Lord knows when you will get another chance.

He shot the ball 16 times despite being cold as fuck. In the regular season he actually shot the ball more often this year than he did last year (a career high no less). He will be fine.

Am I really overreacting?

What fanbase other than Cavs and Warriors feel like they'll be ready to compete for a championship next year? Maybe Spurs IF they can get Chris Paul, that's about it. If you're not one of these teams, you're just playing for the privilege of losing to them in the playoffs.

Funny thing is, at least you have the Spurs out West.

There is NOBODY challenging the Cavs in their current form (barring any lengthy injuries to Kyrie, Love and/or Brizzle Dizzle) to come out the East for the next 2-3 years.

beat

There is NOBODY challenging the Cavs in their current form (barring any lengthy injuries to Kyrie, Love and/or Brizzle Dizzle) to come out the East for the next 2-3 years.

Why can't the Bucks do it? They're young and on the rise.

And, uh... that's all I got.

In the current form yeah but you just wait until the Celtics add Lauri Legend.

Why can't the Bucks do it? They're young and on the rise.

And, uh... that's all I got.

Cause Jabari can't stay healthy long enough to gel with Giannis. Plus, they are further away than Toronto and Boston, who are both, not close to beating the Cavs 4 times in a series.

Keep dreaming guys. Klay ain't going anywhere.

Dreaming something exciting happens in this league? How dare we?

God the day CP resigns with the trash Clippers will be an awful day. Him to the Spurs is the only exciting thing that can happen this season so off course it won't.

Dreaming something exciting happens in this league? How dare we?

God the day CP resigns with the trash Clippers will be an awful day. Him to the Spurs is the only exciting thing that can happen this season so off course it won't.

If there was a way Blake could return to 2015 form and join idk, Celtics or Rockets (y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if the Heat could revitalize his career with their fitness program, help him avoid injuries), and then KD could do the normal thing that doesn't devalue the free agency market and take what money he can get, thus preventing the Dubs from getting Iguodala and Livingston back (Ian Clark is definitely gone), and then maybe McGee doesn't go for as low a contract so the Dubs lose him too, thus hurting their depth a decent amount...

maybe that would work?

Or something like Hayward and a bunch of good wings to the Pelicans.

If there was a way Blake could return to 2015 form and join idk, Celtics or Raptors (y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if the Heat could revitalize his career with their fitness program, help him avoid injuries), and then KD could do the normal thing that doesn't devalue the free agency market and take what money he can get, thus preventing the Dubs from getting Iguodala and Livingston back (Ian Clark is definitely gone), and then maybe McGee doesn't go for as low a contract so the Dubs lose him too, thus hurting their depth a decent amount...

maybe that would work?

Or something like Hayward and a bunch of good wings to the Pelicans.

Warriors ain't gonna lose depth. They can get veteran ring chasers by the foot for dirt cheap.

Nafai1123

Banned
I could see McCaw replacing Klay if they can't afford him. He's not as good of a shooter but defensively he's been impressive and has a better handle and quickness.

Of the big 4 Klay seems the most likely to leave, unless KD somehow decides after two years he wants to go somewhere else. I'm not sure how they afford all 4 on max deals. Steph getting paid this year, Klay in 2019 and Dray in 2020.

beat

and then KD could do the normal thing that doesn't devalue the free agency market and take what money he can get, thus preventing the Dubs from getting Iguodala and Livingston back (Ian Clark is definitely gone),
Where were y'all when Wade, Dirk, and Duncan were all giving their teams discounts?

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-play...en-state-warriors-game-1-defense-ee574f77d62c

The Warriors scored only 0.89 points per possession on half-court possessions, per Synergy — which is horrific, a near equivalent number to the Magic and Suns.
That's crazy low. (Though as a comment there replies, a lot of those half court possessions were garbage time and mean to eat clock more than get a good score.)

Where were y'all when Wade, Dirk, and Duncan were all giving their teams discounts?

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-play...en-state-warriors-game-1-defense-ee574f77d62c

That's crazy low. (Though as a comment there replies, a lot of those half court possessions were garbage time and mean to eat clock more than get a good score.)

I don't agree with it, honestly. It is, in many ways, being unselfish, but it hurts the NBA both as a product and in terms of the deals other players get. Those players already get paid less than they should - blatant discounts just bother me.

I don't agree with it, honestly. It is, in many ways, being unselfish, but it hurts the NBA both as a product and in terms of the deals other players get. Those players already get paid less than they should - blatant discounts just bother me.

Is there even a way to keep the Warriors core together (and by core I mean the 4 stars and Iggy and Livingston plus one of the bigs) without guys taking discounts? He could go goodfella on their asses or maybe he just thinks taking a few less millions means he will continue to play on an all timer until everyone declines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom