• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

beat

For every 20 videos I ignore from that channel, there's one that's worth it: Curry on switches. tldr; They're leaving a lot of open space for Lebron, he could definitely exploit it more.
I was thinking​ of the plays where the Warriors pre-switched Curry away from the pick action. But sure, in these high hedge/go under defenses, there's a lot of room for LeBron to shoot but that's probably the right trade-off for the Dubs to make.

TTG

I think Iggy activated it a little early this year during that end season run when KD went down. He was trying to save it for the playoffs/finals.

Remember when the Cavs were gonna ignore Draymond and Iggy and rough Curry up really good? Then the Warriors came out swinging haymakers non stop and eventually they started landing. It was all in transition or early offense, like all of it except when someone knocked the ball out of bounds or they messed up their spacing, or Curry and Durant were on the bench.

Just get rid of the cap, period. I want players to make as much as they possibly can. Every superstar in the league is underpaid in terms of value to the franchises.

I'd love for that to happen, it would at least be fascinating to see if someone like Prokhorov would be willing to pay LeBron $50 million a season or more.

Sounds plausible to me. It's like what Kerr said about how GSW won against OKC last year:

The biggest adjustment I think are coming are (1) make more shots (2) Kyrie and LeBron have to hustle back on D (Love probably can't run any faster than he was trying in game one) and they'll have to try to cover both the layup and three in transition even when shorthanded. It's a tough problem. (3) (less likely IMO) They already were trying to target Curry, but the Warriors defensive schemes have accounted for some of that, so the Cavs need some fancier double screen or screen-the-screener actions.

A major change would be giving more minutes to Richard Jefferson or Shump instead of Love, which they might have to try but probably not in game 2.

-------

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/presents-19522177/the-nba-most-profitable-play-not-dunk

And as Eric Apricot has been pointing out on Twitter, the ratio of threes made while fouled (aka four point play opportunity) vs missed serves as a proxy stat for who's shooting genuine attempts vs who's cynically jacking up fake shots to hunt for a foul.

It started being looked at under scrutiny during the playoffs, and the early playoffs you suddenly started seeing a bunch of stars using it.

That being said, it feels like it's already been solved. After Game 1 of the Rockets-Spurs series, Harden himself stopped going for it, and tbh, it felt like there was a dramatic drop in the 3 pt foul calls for other players like IT after the first round too. Refs became keyed into it.

Just get rid of the cap, period. I want players to make as much as they possibly can. Every superstar in the league is underpaid in terms of value to the franchises.

Then it'll just come down to which of the owners can afford the best superstar FAs possible. I get the arguments against the cap, but if y'all thought the Warriors were bad enough by stockpiling talent, just wait and see when Lakers or any franchise with a rich owner can go ham and buy up every free agent available.

Then it'll just come down to which of the owners can afford the best superstar FAs possible. I get the arguments against the cap, but if y'all thought the Warriors were bad enough by stockpiling talent, just wait and see when Lakers or any franchise with a rich owner can go ham and buy up every free agent available.

But without a cap players would be paid what they're really worth. The Lakers could try and buy every free agent but it would probably be prohibitively expensive at some point.

Basically, Paul Allen, Steve Ballmer, the Lakers, the Bulls, and the Knicks would all just get every single star player. Fuck that.

I don't see how adopting a MLB system of buying a championships would translate to the NBA. The 5 or 6 perennial All-star teams would never get upset by a well built small market team. Every championship would be decided by who is healthier. The rest of the league would be a wasteland of developing talent waiting for their rookie contract to end so they can get paid.

beat

The discussion upthread made me look up Joe Lacob's net work. It's somewhere between $325M and $400M.

How did he buy the Warriors?

Nafai1123

Banned
But without a cap players would be paid what they're really worth. The Lakers could try and buy every free agent but it would probably be prohibitively expensive at some point.

It would only be prohibitively expensive for owners who can't afford it. I don't want teams with twice (or more) the salary of other teams.

It would only be prohibitively expensive for owners who can't afford it. I don't want teams with twice (or more) the salary of other teams.

At some point every owner has their limit. Even in Baseball there are team salaries that the Yankees and Dodgers probably wouldn't go over. If you have to start paying Steph and KD $40-$50 million each you're probably going to think pretty hard about paying everyone else as well. That being said I don't think I actually want them to get rid of the cap entirely, just max contracts.

FZZ

Banned
If LeBron has a 40 point triple double

do the cavs win

I'm not serious brehs, game 2 can't come soon enough

"Per source, the #Lakers would pass on Lonzo Ball if #nbadraft was today. Team isn't convinced he's a star and remains concerned about LaVar." - @Schultz_Report

"Per source, re Lonzo Ball: "It's not even close right now. Ball won't be a Laker unless they really start 2 buy into him as a star." #lakers" - @Schultz_Report

I assume this is a smokescreen by someone.

"Per source, the #Lakers would pass on Lonzo Ball if #nbadraft was today. Team isn't convinced he's a star and remains concerned about LaVar." - @Schultz_Report

"Per source, re Lonzo Ball: "It's not even close right now. Ball won't be a Laker unless they really start 2 buy into him as a star." #lakers" - @Schultz_Report

In hopes for what? Boston passes on Fultz and LA gets the real talent?

Feeling like the goons will come out from CLE. Dahntay Jones' time to shine! Hope people watch their ankles/necks.

Physicality is one thing, but expecting the greasiness to rise and increase the scramble factor. Interesting to see if the refs will swallow their whistles in Oakland or Cleveland, assuming they do more than the standard amount.

Expecting hit squads from both sides but CLE to strike first since they looked pretty damn outmatched. Bullshit and antics from both to come.

I hope Dahntay is ready for a Matt Barnes foot in the ass....

beat

It started being looked at under scrutiny during the playoffs, and the early playoffs you suddenly started seeing a bunch of stars using it.

That being said, it feels like it's already been solved. After Game 1 of the Rockets-Spurs series, Harden himself stopped going for it, and tbh, it felt like there was a dramatic drop in the 3 pt foul calls for other players like IT after the first round too. Refs became keyed into it.
I unno, the piece said it stopped getting called in the Rockets-Spurs series partly because the Spurs deliberately adjusted how they defended that situation. But also, yes, rightly complaining that the shooter was tangling up to create the appearance of a defensive foul probably did at least convince the refs to stop calling those as defensive fouls.

I unno, the piece said it stopped getting called in the Rockets-Spurs series partly because the Spurs deliberately adjusted how they defended that situation. But also, yes, rightly complaining that the shooter was tangling up to create the appearance of a defensive foul probably did at least convince the refs to stop calling those as defensive fouls.

I swear to god, at least as I remember it, it stopped getting called in other series as well around that time. Celtics-Wizards, Cavs-Celtics, and Spurs-Warriors just sort of stopped with it too, despite players from those teams having started to use it.

It's like, when they noticed it was being called, the league was accelerating its calling of that foul, and I just sorta assumed, ok, the league is gonna let what should be an off the ball foul that leads to an inbounds play lead to 3 free throws for this post-season and then will address it this summer. And a lot of other players started really catching on at the end of the season, and the use of it was accelerating, until suddenly, at some point in the Rockets-Spurs series, the disciplined defense of the Spurs made the Rockets stop going for it, the Spurs stop falling for it, and the refs stop calling, and it sort of spread to the rest of the league in the same way the calling of that foul had.

I had noticed that I was seeing it a couple of times, at least an attempt at it, every single game during the playoffs, and then it all just seemed to mostly stop.

RedAssedApe

Banned

like his tweet about "a source" saying teams in the lottery thinking fox is a better pick than fultz or ball? :p

TTG

I swear to god, at least as I remember it, it stopped getting called in other series as well around that time. Celtics-Wizards, Cavs-Celtics, and Spurs-Warriors just sort of stopped with it too, despite players from those teams having started to use it.

It's like, when they noticed it was being called, the league was accelerating its calling of that foul, and I just sorta assumed, ok, the league is gonna let what should be an off the ball foul that leads to an inbounds play lead to 3 free throws for this post-season and then will address it this summer. And a lot of other players started really catching on at the end of the season, and the use of it was accelerating, until suddenly, at some point in the Rockets-Spurs series, the disciplined defense of the Spurs made the Rockets stop going for it, the Spurs stop falling for it, and the refs stop calling, and it sort of spread to the rest of the league in the same way the calling of that foul had.

I had noticed that I was seeing it a couple of times, at least an attempt at it, every single game during the playoffs, and then it all just seemed to mostly stop.

The Spurs clearly came out playing differently, by design, to avoid that call. What other teams did I don't know, but the 6 teams you listed are either smart enough and disciplined enough to change up or simply don't play defense hard enough to always be fighting over a pick to get called for it.

They can always take away continuation. It won't be consistent, but it isn't now anyway, just ask Chris Paul who throws the ball up a couple of times a game expertly when teams are intentionally fouling him or whatever and he doesn't go to the line for that.

Which players from those teams were using it?
Because the majority of those fake 3pt shot offensive fouls were being committed by the Rockets, and mostly by Harden.

As soon as the Spurs adjusted to not get that foul called, and then the Ref called Harden for an offensive foul for blatantly trying to pull it off on a drive to the hoop, since he couldn't get anyone to bite on the 3pt line, we ended up not seeing it anymore. And that is because Harden and the Rockets got eliminated. I don't really remember anyone else really attempting to pull that cheap bullshit off, as it was almost embarrassing to do.

Although I do remember seeing an article about Curry being the one player with the highest increase of 3pt fouls called in the post season.... but that's a good thing, because Curry is one of the most often fouled but never called players I've seen. That's from the 3pt line, in the lane, with or without the ball in his hand, the man get abused out there, yet just keeps playing hard and doesn't complain.

damn... still 10hrs till GAME TIME.

bionic77

Referring that Kerr quote about the Thunder and how the Warriors just had to play better. Remember it took one of the greatest offensive performances I have ever seen from a player in the playoffs to push it to 7.

That would be cool as fuck if I get to see someone from the Cavs or Warriors hit that level in the finals.

Referring that Kerr quote about the Thunder and how the Warriors just had to play better. Remember it took one of the greatest offensive performances I have ever seen from a player in the playoffs to push it to 7.

That would be cool as fuck if I get to see someone from the Cavs or Warriors hit that level in the finals.

And even cooler if that player were Javale McGee

I mean, you don't feel like the Cavs didn't do that in the Finals last year? Lebron and Kyrie both putting down 41 points each to save them from being eliminated in game 5? Lebron dropping another 41 points in game 6?

And even cooler if that player were Javale McGee

Imagine the game where McGee had a 30+ point game
6 Lobs, a few created dunks, 1 three, couple mid range, and some free throws.... all in 20 minutes of play

**Emergency Broadcast from the NBAonTNT crew - special commentary from Shaq and Charles**

it would be amazing just to see them have to talk about it

zer0das

Banned
I don't see how adopting a MLB system of buying a championships would translate to the NBA. The 5 or 6 perennial All-star teams would never get upset by a well built small market team. Every championship would be decided by who is healthier. The rest of the league would be a wasteland of developing talent waiting for their rookie contract to end so they can get paid.

Odd position to take, considering the NBA has had the exact same finals 3 years in a row and I can't recall the last time the highest paid team in baseball won a championship (it has been a while, because the Dodgers haven't won diddly). The NBA is already a wasteland of talent besides a small handful of teams.

If they cared about competitiveness they'd contract the league, have more extreme revenue sharing, and get rid of the salary cap. But they're never going to contract the league because of the dollars lost and the players association would riot.

Basically, Paul Allen, Steve Ballmer, the Lakers, the Bulls, and the Knicks would all just get every single star player. Fuck that.

Are there people advocating for a baseball style world with basketball? Nope

Yes. There's no real argument against it, because the most expensive team doesn't win every year for baseball.

This is the current situation. The only counter to your example is SA.

At some point every owner has their limit. Even in Baseball there are team salaries that the Yankees and Dodgers probably wouldn't go over. If you have to start paying Steph and KD $40-$50 million each you're probably going to think pretty hard about paying everyone else as well. That being said I don't think I actually want them to get rid of the cap entirely, just max contracts.

Max contracts too, but I want the cap gone.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Baseball is completely different from basketball. Talent takes much longer to develop, the game can't be dominated by one or two players, players are locked down longer earlier in their careers, etc. It would ruin basketball. The only way I see to remedy uber-superteams is to limit supermax contracts to one per team, regardless of years of service.

Baseball is completely different from basketball. Talent takes much longer to develop, the game can't be dominated by one or two players, players are locked down longer earlier in their careers, etc. It would ruin basketball. The only way I see to remedy uber-superteams is to limit supermax contracts to one per team, regardless of years of service.

Which would lose the players a lot of money and leverage.

TraBuch

Banned
The whole "the highest paid team in baseball doesn't always win" thing is a terrible comparison. In basketball, you could conceivably fill your entire starting five with all stars. Hell, throw a couple all star bench pieces, too.

In baseball, there's zero chance anybody would sign eight everyday all star players, and then five all star pitchers with a few all star relievers thrown in there.

Jarate

Banned
You need a salary cap in Basketball. The Warriors just made incredible contracts and got SS level players on cheap contracts, and then were able to sign KD due to a cap situation that doesnt just happen every year

The only thing I want them to do is to have a dedicated "Super Star" slot where you can go up to 5-10 million above the maximum pay

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
You need a salary cap in Basketball. The Warriors just made incredible contracts and got SS level players on cheap contracts, and then were able to sign KD due to a cap situation that doesnt just happen every year

The only thing I want them to do is to have a dedicated "Super Star" slot where you can go up to 5-10 million above the maximum pay

Warriors revenue stream is about to take a huge leap forward as well with the opening of the new stadium. Luxury tax won't matter for them.

have a cap but no cap on individual contracts is the best way in basketball. If a guy like KD has to choose between going to a great team and getting $27 million a year, or going to a mediocre team and making $30 million, the amount of money isn't great enough to offset the quality of the organizations. But if all of a sudden teams like Philly or the Lakers or other bad-mediocre teams with cap space could offer him $45-50 million a year, that changes things.

Ric Flair

Banned
have a cap but no cap on individual contracts is the best way in basketball. If a guy like KD has to choose between going to a great team and getting $27 million a year, or going to a mediocre team and making $30 million, the amount of money isn't great enough to offset the quality of the organizations. But if all of a sudden teams like Philly or the Lakers or other bad-mediocre teams with cap space could offer him $45-50 million a year, that changes things.
Yeah, this is sort of the idea I had but better. Put a hard cap on the total amount a team can spend each season with no exceptions allowed. Money talks after a certain point.

beat

Warriors revenue stream is about to take a huge leap forward as well with the opening of the new stadium. Luxury tax won't matter for them.

Speaking of luxury tax, which the Cavs are already paying, I took a look and I vaguely understand the Cavs are likely to start paying the repeater tax in the next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom