• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of luxury tax, which the Cavs are already paying, I took a look and I vaguely understand the Cavs are likely to start paying the repeater tax in the next season.

And what exactly does that mean for the Cavs?
especially if they don't win the chip this year?

And what exactly does that mean for the Cavs?
especially if they don't win the chip this year?

855253.gif

The finger thing means taxes.

https://frinkiac.com/gif/S06E21/854836/855253.gif?b64lines=[IMG]

The finger thing means taxes.[/QUOTE]

well, considering they are already far over the cap, an into the luxury, does anyone think they will also gladly pay the repeater tax to keep the assembled team as much as is as possible for another year (especially if they get beat 4-0/4-1) if they don't win it all this year?

well, considering they are already far over the cap, an into the luxury, does anyone think they will also gladly pay the repeater tax to keep the assembled team as much as is as possible for another year (especially if they get beat 4-0/4-1) if they don't win it all this year?

I'm sure they'll look into trades but I doubt they'll be able to keep LeBron happy and shed salary at the same time.

Keep the salary cap but get rid of max contracts. But the players association would never do that because only the superstars benefit and it's not about the 1% if the players when it comes to negotiating the CBA. Right now, everyone makes money and superstars make more off endorsements which offsets any money they could be gaining if they were to get 70 million a year

Ric Flair

Banned
Keep the salary cap but get rid of max contracts. But the players association would never do that because only the superstars benefit and it's not about the 1% if the players when it comes to negotiating the CBA. Right now, everyone makes money and superstars make more off endorsements which offsets any money they could be gaining if they were to get 70 million a year
I get that too, it's just a shame when such a system would make the league more competitive like the NFL

I think the Cavs pull off another historic upset and win the series but I'm predicting another Cavs loss tonight but a win for them in game 3. I'd prefer they get their first win of the series tonight. It will make the series and discussion much more interesting as we wait for game 3, but I just don't think they win tonight

Warriors-Cavaliers Game 2 referees: Scott Foster, Tony Brothers, James Capers.

They always make the game about them. Dammit, I liked the game 1 crew

VeeP

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some beef or something between Foster and the Warriors? I remember the NBA thread last year mentioned it or something.

well.. Warriors gonna have to earn this one tonight. Gotta beat the Cavs AND the Refs tonight.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some beef or something between Foster and the Warriors? I remember the NBA thread last year mentioned it or something.

He ejected Livingston during last years playoffs v Blazers (i think?) - Ref missed the call, and Livingston kinda went off on him and got ejected,
and he was re-assigned from reffing game 7 of the Dubs v OKC last WCF - Dubs needed a win and Foster was "known" for some bias towards the Dubs
and he made most/all of the BS calls against Curry in Game 6 v Cavs in last years NBA Finals that led to Curry fouling out early in the 4th (I think).

Foster is the official the NBA brings in to make a longer playoff series. His playoff game often looked rigged as the team who's behind in the series get preference.

Big game tonight, should be awesome. Flaming take here, but if the Cavs lose this game they are absolutely not coming back and the series will end in 4 or 5. I know what they did last year, but it's not happening again if the Warriors remain healthy.

How would the current Dubs do against the 95-96 Bulls?
what rules are they playing under?

If the Bulls can hand check and play D like they did in the 90s, they would win. The formula was basically dominant D + rebounding + Jordan offense cheat codes (+ sprinkle in some structured offense).

I think any team ever would have a tough time with the Warriors under 2017 rules.

bionic77

Best of seven and each game's rules (1995 or 2016) are decided by a coin flip a day ahead.
The rules would determine every game.

When hand checking was allowed and no zone defense the Bulls and most 90s team would maul the Warriors. They are not big enough to handle that physical play. Just imagine the Knicks thugging the fuck out of Curry. He wouldn't make it 3 games.

Likewise in the zone defense era it would be tough for a 90s dirty ball era team to be able to keep up with the Warriors shooting. Or hell the shooting of most teams today.

The rules dictate how the teams are going to play.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Handchecking just wouldn't slow the warriors all that much - they aren't a drive-to-kick (or score) team. They rely on ball movement, screens, pushing in transition and an unparalleled ability to shoot.

I disagree with whoever said Rodman would be an effective perimeter defender. He wasn't (but didn't need to be).

I expect lots of flops and charges tonight
Gotta get the Warriors into foul trouble and then unleash Dantay Jones to do dumb shit

Every KD post up JR or Shump will be called an offensive foul because they will flop

LionPride

Banned
Rodman had the ability to switch onto the perimeter to defend

At least in his Pistons days. Don't know about his Bulls/Spurs tenure and his ability there.

Must-win mentality for Cleveland. Going down 2-0 against this team is a death sentence, pretty much. Turn the ball over less, let JR shoot a bit more, and contain KD as best as you can.

Dunno. I knew Cleveland would win last year because Golden State was exposed by OKC. But adding Durant is most likely too much.

I am rooting for Cleveland. I still believe they can win this series but they NEED to win tonight and basically play perfect basketball from here on out. Tough order but LeBron is the best player on the court so you can never count them out.

Does the NBA choose who refs the Finals by their accuracy of refereeing through out the season?? Or they just pick whoever they want? 🤔

Fury451

Banned
Must-win mentality for Cleveland. Going down 2-0 against this team is a death sentence, pretty much. Turn the ball over less, let JR shoot a bit more, and contain KD as best as you can.

Dunno. I knew Cleveland would win last year because Golden State was exposed by OKC. But adding Durant is most likely too much.

I am rooting for Cleveland. I still believe they can win this series but they NEED to win tonight and basically play perfect basketball from here on out. Tough order but LeBron is the best player on the court so you can never count them out.

True statement. Perfection each game will win it for the Cavs.

As a lifelong Cleveland native, I'm just not sure we have it this year. I hope so, but if we lose the series it's because GS was too good.

Screw it. Beleveland 112 Golden State 107

Cavs will give GSW their first lost of the post-season tonight, the black jerseys will remain undefeated against the Warriors and the series will return to Cleveland tied up. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but if Cleveland can win both home games after securing a win tonight...... Cavs in 5.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom