• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

jbug617

Banned
Billups didn't take the job because of Gilbert
"I have great respect for Dan Gilbert and the Cleveland Cavaliers, and I greatly appreciate the discussions we had regarding their organization," Billups told ESPN. "As I have conveyed before, ultimately I would like to lead a team's basketball operation and be a part of a successful franchise. But presently, the timing just isn't right to delve into that role in Cleveland. In the meantime, I will continue to focus on broadcasting and my other business endeavors."

A source told ESPN's Jeff Goodman that staffing concerns and money disparity were factors in Billups' decision to drop out of the running.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-name-cleveland-cavaliers-front-office-search

Why would you want to GM the Cavs when you know the owner is a psychopath and the team's star is leaving next summer or is going to at least threat to do so all year if you as much as fart the wrong way?

gutshot

DD0yLOGV0AIvx3o.jpg:large

#TTP

Marz

Why would you want to GM the Cavs when you know the owner is a psychopath and the team's star is leaving next summer or is going to at least threat to do so all year if you as much as fart the wrong way?

Because you're guaranteed millions and you may never get that chance again?

Because you're guaranteed millions and you may never get that chance again?

You're increasing your chances of never getting that chance again working in Cleveland. See David Blatt. This year especially any GM would take the fall for the crumbling of that team, which will very likely happen, and then the poor dude won't ever have another shot as a GM.

Do you really want Billups learning on the job for the East Conference Champs? The only thing that move has going for it is an easy scapegoat when things go south.

Has Chauncey been in some front office position before or just in the booth?

Do you really want Billups learning on the job for the East Conference Champs? The only thing that move has going for it is an easy scapegoat when things go south.

Exactly, Gilbert is looking for a scapegoat, not a GM. Billups is a champ and saw his bamboozle coming from a mile away. They need to hire someone who isn't as clever. Say, what are Cavs legends Larry Hughes and Boobie Gibson up to these days?

For Lakers, Hill on 1-year deal gives Lonzo Ball a vet mentor -- and preserves cap space for next summer. Both sides serious on possibility.Adrian Wojnarowski added,
Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @wojespn

Why didn't Lakers get Russell a mentor when he was the face of the franchise

Has Hill's value tanked that much? He's gonna back up Ball on a 1 year deal while he's in his prime?

DEN must have to dump Faried to have the cap space to overpay hill. But if LAL has to avoid the minimum salary the same way PHI did Hill could be in for stupid money this year and be the most coveted PG in 2018 with IT and Paul all but locked up.

Gigglepoo

DEN must have to dump Faried to have the cap space to overpay hill. But if LAL has to avoid the minimum salary the same way PHI did Hill could be in for stupid money this year and be the most coveted PG in 2018 with IT and Paul all but locked up.

Are we sure Ainge is giving the max to IT? I still don't see it. Seems like a terrible decision.

Bread

Banned
Are we sure Ainge is giving the max to IT? I still don't see it. Seems like a terrible decision.
Not sure at all. We've yet to see him play after recovering from the hip injury. Who knows what happens.

Hill would be a great PG for the Celtics btw, I'd love to plug him in next season if we move on from IT.

Wonder if some free agents like Hill or Waiters might try and gamble on more teams having free money next offseason and that trickling down to them:

You rather have Magic or T-Mac running your team?

Magic's not the GM. I think his 20+ years as a successful business man outside of basketball are pretty good credentials for his role as pres of operations. Pelinka is the GM, and he had decades of experience as an agent, dealing with players, other front offices, negotiations and the cap. Chauncey Billips...goes on tv and talks about basketball. That's his resume.

Bread

Banned
Waiters had a good year but I'm still so far from sold on him. I just can't fathom how he could have made the jump after being so bad for years.

Hill decline a 4 year $80 million and 3 year $75 million extension from the jazz smh

Point guard market dried up absurdly quickly

Yeah probably way more than he anticipated. Who out there is going to give him a big money longer term deal? Best bet might be to play out next season and re-enter free agency hoping one of the several teams clearing out space for 2018 has a hole to fill. Same with Waiters.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Magic's not the GM. I think his 20+ years as a successful business man outside of basketball are pretty good credentials for his role as pres of operations. Pelinka is the GM, and he had decades of experience as an agent, dealing with players, other front offices, negotiations and the cap. Chauncey Billips...goes on tv and talks about basketball. That's his resume.

i'm imagining magic with a calculator trying to make heads or tails of the cba

Waiters had a good year but I'm still so far from sold on him. I just can't fathom how he could have made the jump after being so bad for years.

That Heat Coaching Staff.. I'm not even kidding. Same story how Deng had good seasons with the Heat only to regress as soon as he left to get payday from the Lakers. :p

Top Bottom