• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Is the NBA CBA the most player friendly CBA in sports? Just seems like the players have all of the power.

How is this player friendly? Dude left 10 million dollars on the table so Lacob could pay less money to the league. Its like the complete opposite of player friendly. NBAPA is going to be pissed but not really much they can do

Tall4Life

Is the NBA CBA the most player friendly CBA in sports? Just seems like the players have all of the power.

It's arguably hurt players in terms of their contracts, as now the top stars are greatly underpaid for what they do for their organizations

Duxxy3

How is this player friendly? Dude left 10 million dollars on the table so Lacob could pay less money to the league. Its like the complete opposite of player friendly. NBAPA is going to be pissed but not really much they can do

1: It's all guaranteed money. NFL players get screwed at every opportunity.

2: There's obviously some under the table money on this deal. Which is shady as hell, but the NBA is pretty loose about that.

beat

This is crazy. If Iguodala had left, if I'm KD I'm definitely going for the $31.8 M option. The Warriors had Iggy's Bird rights. The only way he would have left a great situation is if the Warriors didn't offer him enough, in which case KD shouldn't reward their cheapness.

A former CBA had the players taking 57% of basketball related revenue. It's down to 50% now (or 51? Not sure.) No good reason for that besides that the owners had the power to force it.

mjp2417

Banned
Again that comment is meaningless because it ignores the idea of roster construction. The Jazz have built their roster around Hayward. If you take him off the team, of course they would struggle some. But give them a few years to build around Gobert and replace Hayward with someone decent, and they would approach 53 wins again.

They would struggle some because they don't have any real frontline talent outside of Gobert, not because their roster is so uniquely constructed around Hayward (you don't need to specifically construct a roster around wings with Hayward's particular skillset; that's one of the reasons they're so rare and valuable) . I mean, we're talking about a point guard who can't hit the side of a barn, an injury prone 2 guard who is nowhere close to Avery Bradley, Joe Ingles on a bad contract, Joe Johnson in a wheelchair, Boris Diaw in a wheelchair, a power forward coming off knee surgery who regressed this year and is probably gone next year, Rudy, and a lottery bust in Exum. Maybe Donovan Mitchell hits?

Boogs31

They would struggle some because they don't have any real frontline talent outside of Gobert, not because their roster is so uniquely constructed around Hayward (you don't need to specifically construct a roster around wings with Hayward's particular skillset; that's one of the reasons they're so rare and valuable) . I mean, we're talking about a point guard who can't hit the side of a barn, an injury prone 2 guard who is nowhere close to Avery Bradley, Joe Ingles on a bad contract, Joe Johnson in a wheelchair, Boris Diaw in a wheelchair, a power forward coming off knee surgery who regressed this year and is probably gone next year, Rudy, and a lottery bust in Exum. Maybe Donovan Mitchell hits?

How can you possibly make the case that the Jazz have no frontcourt talent when they are so superior to Boston in that area. And again I'm talking right now, not in 3 years.

Gobert > Horford
Favors > Olynyk/Jerebko
Ingles/Johnson/Hood > Crowder/Brown/Tatum

I already stated the Celtics backcourt is better, but their entire backcourt might be gone next year.

mjp2417

Banned
How can you possibly make the case that the Jazz have no frontcourt talent when they are so superior to Boston in that area. And again I'm talking right now, not in 3 years.

Gobert > Horford
Favors > Olynyk/Jerebko
Ingles/Johnson/Hood > Crowder/Brown/Tatum

I already stated the Celtics backcourt is better, but their entire backcourt might be gone next year.

"frontline" not "frontcourt"

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Jaylen holy FUCK. Everything. Rebounding, post moves, 3 ball. That foot worker looked filthy. The fade away in the post looked deadly. His handle looks a lot tighter.

Boogs31

"frontline" not "frontcourt"

Oh so by frontline you mean star talent? If that's what you're arguing, the Celtics don't fare any better. They have a one way star in Isaiah Thomas and that's it. Gobert is better because he is not only a dominant defensive player but a very good offensive player as well. If there is another Celtic that is a star, I don't know who that would be.

If by frontline you mean starters, Utah would still have the edge 3 to 2, Boston would win the backcourt spots, Utah the frontcourt.

Arguing between whether Utah or Boston is better situation from a basketball stand point seems silly. Utah is in the toughest division in the NBA in an even tougher conference. Boston is a Lebron injury away from skipping to the finals. Odds of finding success in the East are much greater on the previous one seed that they are fighting for a playoff spot in the West.

Boogs31

Why were people drooling over him three years ago?

I thought it was strange at the time. Boston offered like 4 first round picks to Charlotte to get him. Ainge would look like an idiot if the Hornets had accepted.

Maybe teams thought his jumpshot was fixable and he could become a primary ball handler as well as an elite defender.

Boogs31

Arguing between whether Utah or Boston is better situation from a basketball stand point seems silly. Utah is in the toughest division in the NBA in an even tougher conference. Boston is a Lebron injury away from skipping to the finals. Odds of finding success in the East are much greater on the previous one seed that they are fighting for a playoff spot in the West.

The goal for teams isn't to make the conference finals or the NBA Finals, it's to actually win the whole thing. Just because a team in the East can make it to the conference finals rather easily, does not mean they are capable of beating not 1, but 2 elite teams to win the title. If Hayward thinks Utah is more capable of beating elite teams 4 out of 7, it doesn't matter that he may have to beat 3 elite teams as opposed to 2.

Been telling peeps Jaylen can play....watched him at Cal, Boston just need to give him more regular playing time during regular season ....

Servbot24

Banned
KD isn't fucking around. He got a taste and he's thirsty for more.

GSW aren't my team, but I enjoy watching greatness. Let the dynasty roll.

Although I'm a bit disappointed we won't see Steph Curry continue his MVP trajectory since he has to share the leading role.

Hawks didn't even offer Millsap a contract.

Wow, way to show you care about your players FO. You sign Howard to terrible contract and then ship him off for peanuts (he just didn't fit the team so i'm cool with the trade), let your two best players walk in the past 2 years, and our GMs are apparently closet racists.

Way to go. I thought when the new ownership came in, we were looking at greener pastures but you guys have been just as bad.

Sigh.

There's been new management that had come in between the Howard signing/potential and then canceled Millsap trade and the loss of Millsap in FA, and the two sides likely had different views on where to go.

That being said, even though giving Millsap another suitor would have raised the price some, for that little, they should have seriously considered bidding on him

The goal for teams isn't to make the conference finals or the NBA Finals, it's to actually win the whole thing. Just because a team in the East can make it to the conference finals rather easily, does not mean they are capable of beating not 1, but 2 elite teams to win the title. If Hayward thinks Utah is more capable of beating elite teams 4 out of 7, it doesn't matter that he may have to beat 3 elite teams as opposed to 2.

You don't stay in Utah thinking this team has a chance at a title, you stay because you are comfortable and don't want to risk change.

If the goal is to win in all, the road of least resistance is the one to take. You can't win a title if you can't even make the finals. Anything can happen in 7 games, we've seen recent underdogs in Dallas and Cleveland defy the odds.

There is much more potential to be apart of something great in Boston than there is to remain content with Utah.

Top Bottom