• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

mjp2417

Banned
Oh so by frontline you mean star talent? If that's what you're arguing, the Celtics don't fare any better. They have a one way star in Isaiah Thomas and that's it. Gobert is better because he is not only a dominant defensive player but a very good offensive player as well. If there is another Celtic that is a star, I don't know who that would be.

If by frontline you mean starters, Utah would still have the edge 3 to 2, Boston would win the backcourt spots, Utah the frontcourt.

Utah would have the edge at the 4 and 5. Boston has the edge at point and at the two wings spots (Bradley/Smart/Crowder/Brown/Tatum > Hood/Ingles/Johnson). If you drafted players from both teams, Gobert would be the first off the board, but Boston would have the next three (Thomas, Horford, Bradley). Boston also has infinitely more flexibility and plays in a much weaker conference. They have a better supporting cast right now, they have a brighter future, and they have an easier path to a title. It's a better basketball situation right now and going forward. If Hayward wants to win he chooses Boston; if he really likes his life in Utah and doesn't want to leave that behind he stays there. He doesn't choose to go back to Utah because it gives him a better chance of winning now or in the future.

Boogs31

You don't stay in Utah thinking this team has a chance at a title, you stay because you are comfortable and don't want to risk change.

If the goal is to win in all, the road of least resistance is the one to take. You can't win a title if you can't even make the finals. Anything can happen in 7 games, we've seen recent underdogs in Dallas and Cleveland defy the odds.

There is much more potential to be apart of something great in Boston than there is to remain content with Utah.

He's only going to sign a 3 year deal most likely because of the max you can get after 10 years of service. If he's looking at the next three years, he's not going to care how good Boston's prospects will be in 2020. Utah's roster is better than Boston's. A players best chance at a title is through being on as good of a team as possible.

Boston made the Eastern Conference finals last year, but they weren't anywhere near competing for a title.

Boogs31

Utah would have the edge at the 4 and 5. Boston has the edge at point and at the two wings spots (Bradley/Smart/Crowder/Brown/Tatum > Hood/Ingles/Johnson). If you drafted players from both teams, Gobert would be the first off the board, but Boston would have the next three (Thomas, Horford, Bradley). Boston also has infinitely more flexibility and plays in a much weaker conference. They have a better supporting cast right now, they have a brighter future, and they have an easier path to a title. It's a better basketball situation right now and going forward. If Hayward wants to win he chooses Boston; if he really likes his life in Utah and doesn't want to leave that behind he stays there. He doesn't choose to go back to Utah because it gives him a better chance of winning now or in the future.

I agree about the top 4 you mentioned. You stopped after 4 though. Utah has the next 5 best players. They have 6 of the top 10 and the best player. I also disagree that Boston's small forwards are better than Utah's.

1) Gobert
2) Thomas
3) Horford
4) Bradley
5) Favors
6) Rubio
7) Ingles
8) Johnson
9) Hood
10) Crowder
11) Smart
12) Brown
13) Exum

He's only going to sign a 3 year deal most likely because of the max you can get after 10 years of service. If he's looking at the next three years, he's not going to care how good Boston's prospects will be in 2020. Utah's roster is better than Boston's. A players best chance at a title is through being on as good of a team as possible.

Boston made the Eastern Conference finals last year, but they weren't anywhere near competing for a title.

Neither was Utah.

What's Utah's 3 year projection look like to you? Because I see Portland likely taking the Northwest from Utah unless OKC's duo really gel quickly and take it the first year. Even then you have those three teams duking it out for the 4, 5 & 6th seeds for the next three years. I know Houston's the only team to ever come out of the 6th seed and win a title but I don't know if Utah is going to make it out of the first rd as 6th the next three years.

spyder_ur

Brown is way too good for summer league.

Love the aggressiveness and most of all the versatility. Really exciting. You could notice as last year went on and tonight that the game has really slowed down for him.

I agree about the top 4 you mentioned. You stopped after 4 though. Utah has the next 5 best players. They have 6 of the top 10 and the best player.

1) Gobert
2) Thomas
3) Horford
4) Bradley
5) Favors
6) Rubio
7) Ingles
8) Johnson
9) Hood
10) Crowder
11) Smart
12) Brown

Suffice it to say I would disagree with those rankings.

Kickz

@wojespn

Source: Jazz meeting w/ Gordon Hayward in San Diego, 3.5 hours, with @rickyrubio9 flying from Spain to pitch partnership. Decision looms.
6:41 PM - 3 Jul 2017

17668686_1584369398257892_1396858475_o.jpg

Slizeezyc

Brown is way too good for summer league.

It's a bad sign when the second-year players show up and aren't so it doesn't really mean much one way or the other.

(Summer League as a whole pretty much means less than nothing. As long as you aren't getting your shot blocked nonstop you're okay in terms of your prospect status when you're there as a rookie.)

Boogs31

Neither was Utah.

What's Utah's 3 year projection look like to you? Because I see Portland likely taking the Northwest from Utah unless OKC's duo really gel quickly and take it the first year. Even then you have those three teams duking it out for the 4, 5 & 6th seeds for the next three years. I know Houston's the only team to ever come out of the 6th seed and win a title but I don't know if Utah is going to make it out of the first rd as 6th the next three years.

If you have Portland ahead of Utah with Hayward I don't know what to tell you. The Jazz won 51 games and a first round playoff series last year despite a ton of injuries. Hayward and Gobert, their top 2 guys, are still young and improving. They have other young guys that are developing (Exum, Hood), even Favors is only 25. With more chemistry, development and injury luck, they are a mid to high 50's win team next year. They're an elite defensive team with an improving offense. Not sure why you seem to think they suck.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's a bad sign when the second-year players show up and aren't so it doesn't really mean much one way or the other.

(Summer League as a whole pretty much means less than nothing. As long as you aren't getting your shot blocked nonstop you're okay in terms of your prospect status when you're there as a rookie.)

I just needed him to show improvement/flashes. He looks head and shoulders better than anybody else out there

The more impressive thing is where he was last summer league vs. now. Tighter handle, stronger more in control finisher, insane trasnition footwork, quick decisions,e tc.

Neither was Utah.

Why would Portland jump them?

Why would they be the 6 seed?

Slizeezyc

I just needed him to show improvement/flashes. He looks head and shoulders better than anybody else out there

The more impressive thing is where he was last summer league vs. now. Tighter handle, stronger more in control finisher, insane trasnition footwork, quick decisions,e tc.

Yeah I mean he's still a turnover machine, but again, the point is as long as he looks solid it just means he's not a failure not that he'll take some massive leap forward in year 2.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah I mean he's still a turnover machine, but again, the point is as long as he looks solid it just means he's not a failure not that he'll take some massive leap forward in year 2.

Meh I wouldn't read too much into his TO this game a lot of them were a result of his teammates and freelancing. His handle is a lot better so far, but he still doesn't look quite ready to create consistently. It's been a very clear improvement so far though.

mjp2417

Banned
I agree about the top 4 you mentioned. You stopped after 4 though. Utah has the next 5 best players. They have 6 of the top 10 and the best player. I also disagree that Boston's small forwards are better than Utah's.

1) Gobert
2) Thomas
3) Horford
4) Bradley
5) Favors
6) Rubio
7) Ingles
8) Johnson
9) Hood
10) Crowder
11) Smart
12) Brown
13) Exum
Jae Crowder was better than Johnson, Ingles, or Hood this year by just about every available metric. And who knows what's up with Favors' knees, but he couldn't stay on the court this year and was mediocre when he was out there. Take away Hayward and Ricky Rubio might be your second best player.

Jarate

Banned
Man I'm so pissed at my job for putting me to work during Sixers Summer League ;-;

I wanna watch my boi Kaleb Tarczezki or however you spell it.

If you have Portland ahead of Utah with Hayward I don't know what to tell you. The Jazz won 51 games and a first round playoff series last year despite a ton of injuries. Hayward and Gobert, their top 2 guys, are still young and improving. They have other young guys that are developing (Exum, Hood), even Favors is only 25. With more chemistry, development and injury luck, they are a mid to high 50's win team next year. They're an elite defensive team with an improving offense. Not sure why you seem to think they suck.
I don't think they suck but I don't think they are a lock to win their division. OKC is hard to predict but we saw how much better Portland became after adding Nurkic, they went 14-5 before he got injured and were one of the best records after the all-star game.
Why would Portland jump them?

Why would they be the 6 seed?

I think a full season with Nurkic only improves that team not make them worse, is that crazy?

If Portland wins the Division they are the 4 seed, unless someone with a better record from another division takes homecourt like it happened with Utah last year. But like I said I think it's between those three teams. I would think adding Paul George to a team would make up the four win difference between Utah and OKC. The Thunder may even take the division which drops last year's 5th seed to 6th. What's funny is they could easily have a better record than last year but still drop in the standings.

Slizeezyc

Meh I wouldn't read too much into his TO this game a lot of them were a result of his teammates and freelancing. His handle is a lot better so far, but he still doesn't look quite ready to create consistently. It's been a very clear improvement so far though.

I mean I would read as much into them as anything else (ie, not at all, because Summer League means less than nothing) as he's been a turnover machine before as well.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I mean I would read as much into them as anything else (ie, not at all, because Summer League means less than nothing) as he's been a turnover machine before as well.

Yeah 1.8 TO per 36 is a turnover machine.

EDIT- also you can take certain things away. His stroke, his control, his footwork, etc.

Slizeezyc

Yeah 1.8 to per 36 is a turnover machine.

When you never touch the ball because your head coach doesn't trust you and turned it over a lot in college, it really doesn't mean much what his per 36 numbers are as of yet. Don't misuse stats.

If you take things away from Summer League you're lying to yourself either way. If you did, then Kris Dunn should have been rookie of the year etc. Just enjoy it for the bad basketball it is and wait until the real season to judge stuff.

jdstorm

Banned
You guys are really underating Utah. Especially Alec Burks. Im not fully sold on them but if you made a combination team out of Utah and Boston right now only 2 Celtics are making the 9 man rotation. (Assuming Hayward counts as neither)

Boogs31

Jae Crowder was better than Johnson, Ingles, or Hood this year by just about every available metric. And who knows what's up with Favors' knees, but he couldn't stay on the court this year and was mediocre when he was out there. Take away Hayward and Ricky Rubio might be your second best player.

Ingles career 3pt% - 40.
Hood career 3pt% - 36.
Johnson career 3 pt% - 37

Crowder career 3pt% - 34.5

All three of the Jazz guys can create their own shot and run a pick and roll.

Crowder can't do anything other than catch and shoot (and he's worse at it).

Neither Hood or Crowder can pass.

Crowder is slightly better at defense than Johnson and Hood but not Ingles.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
When you never touch the ball because your head coach doesn't trust you and turned it over a lot in college, it really doesn't mean much what his per 36 numbers are as of yet. Don't misuse stats.

If you take things away from Summer League you're lying to yourself either way. If you did, then Kris Dunn should have been rookie of the year etc. Just enjoy it for the bad basketball it is and wait until the real season to judge stuff.

Again you can take plenty away. You can't project awards but you can tell specific differences in players. Dunn was good, but I wasn't crazy about his play style at all.

You guys are really underating Utah. Especially Alec Burks. Im not fully sold on them but if you made a combination team out of Utah and Boston right now only 2 Celtics are making the 9 man rotation. (Assuming Hayward counts as neither)

At least 3 since IT, Bradley and Horford are very safe bets. IT is also the best of them all. Nobody is underrating the Jazz, they have a fantastic team. So does Boston.

spyder_ur

Man - I am really looking forward to Tatum's finishing skills.

Also, I think Nader is going to have an NBA career. I don't think it can be with the Celts, though.

Care to elaborate?

Crowder, mostly. But they're all good players around the same tier, so probably not worth arguing about.

Slizeezyc

downtown jaylen brown. why isn't simmons playing. is that bum still hurt?

No, I think the Sixers said both sides didn't really see the point of him playing when they'd rather he just keep getting back into shape. With the injury history of their picks probably better safe than sorry. I imagine Jaylen is just playing a game or two for similar reasons.

I don't get the feeling that some of you know much about the Jazz at all. Which is fine, but you shouldn't be acting like experts.

This shit it ridiculous though.

Top Bottom