• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

LionPride

Banned
Is there a fan base in existence that hasn't melted down when one of their stars left? Sports fandom isn't exactly a rational thing.
Well let's see

Grizzlies fans melted down when Pau left until ZBO and Marc came along

76ers when AI and Andre left

Kings when Webber and Boogie left

Hornets when CP3 left

Can't think of one that stayed sane

Oh, of course Hayward pulls his shenanigans on the 4th of July.

Well I'll still hold out hope for some Deandre type drama, maybe IND will pull out of the George deal.

So what else did I miss...
Otto Potter is going to be in the top 10 highest paid players in the league and the Wiz think that's a good idea to match.

Kings making sure they are better than any lottery team in the East for some reason.

Casspi signs a one ring deal with GS

OKC replaces Gibson with an even more inconsistent 4 to take those long jumpers. But for that price you really can't complain

Is Vault Dweller alright? Has anyone check on them recently?

Bread

Banned
usa-today-7330000.0-660x330.jpg
legend

Otto Potter is going to be in the top 10 highest paid players in the league and the Wiz think that's a good idea to match.

It is a good idea though.

When your team can give someone the most money and they still leave it's tough. It's fair to not be happy about it.

The difference in money was negligible since he wasn't eligible for a supermax and he'll likely opt out after year 3 anyways.

Is it? They haven't paid Wall yet. Hell this is a team that's paying their backup center more than their starting center so it's hard to tell whether or not when a front office paying Porter more than Beal is a great investment.

They're not going to have cap space for free agents anyways. It's either max out Porter or lose him for nothing without a good replacement.

It's basically the Jrue Holliday situation that New Orleans was facing this year. It's not optimal but you probably need to do it.
Man I feel terrible for NOP, maybe they will still get some help with vet min contracts.

That's a horrible system when you can't improve so the only option is to overpay to keep
from getting worse.

mjp2417

Banned
Man I feel terrible for NOP, maybe they will still get some help with vet min contracts.

That's a horrible system when you can't improve so the only option is to overpay to keep
from getting worse.

Bad contracts catch up with you. Both the Wiz and NO have an abundance of them. Asik and Hill are making like 23 million this year; Ian Mahinmi is making 16. They blew all their flexibility on bench fodder.

Supposedly if Stevens/Ainge can convince Hayward to take around $300k less the C's will be able to keep Bradley, Smart and Crowder by dealing Rozier and Jackson while renouncing their free agents.

Cornbread78

Supposedly if Stevens/Ainge can convince Hayward to take around $300k less the C's will be able to keep Bradley, Smart and Crowder by dealing Rozier and Jackson while renouncing their free agents.

Will be interesting to see what he does at the 5 outside of "bringing up" Zizac..

Oh, of course Hayward pulls his shenanigans on the 4th of July.

Well I'll still hold out hope for some Deandre type drama, maybe IND will pull out of the George deal.
Yeah, they'll do that if they want to never trade with another team again. Jordan could do that because it was just affecting him. The Pacers organization does that? Shit would impact the team years down the road.

Cornbread78

Assuming Hayward doesn't take a pay cut I imagine at least one of smart/Bradley/Crowder gets moved for a backup big.

They need to keep Smart to back up IT, so it's gotta be Crowdah that gets moved. Bradley would only go if they try to get a big name 5.

Zizac is their only big right now..

Tom Penny

Bradley is the one getting moved. He's gone next year while Jae contact is still great for s couple more years. They won't get much for him though.

Servbot24

Banned
Myles Turner and Victor Oladipo are leading the Pacers to the promised land this year.

The promised land being our first top 10 draft pick in 100 years.

spyder_ur

Losing one of Bradley, Crowder and Smart would make me pretty sad, but it's inevitable.

I think Crowder is most likely to go. He's the most easily tradeable (but also has the best contract situation), but he's also the most directly duplicated by the wings they've added this summer. I'm not sure Crowder does anything better than Hayward, except perhaps some positional versatility at the 4.

How much time do they have to clear the cap space? Is it the 8th?

Man, if Hayward would just take $300K less this year, it'd all be gravy. But I suppose that's a bit greedy. That cap figure coming in lower is going to likely cost the Celtics a pretty good player.

Tom Penny

Losing one of Bradley, Crowder and Smart would make me pretty sad, but it's inevitable.

I think Crowder is most likely to go. He's the most easily tradeable (but also has the best contract situation), but he's also the most directly duplicated by the wings they've added this summer. I'm not sure Crowder does anything better than Hayward, except perhaps some positional versatility at the 4.

How much time do they have to clear the cap space? Is it the 8th?

Man, if Hayward would just take $300K less this year, it'd all be gravy. But I suppose that's a bit greedy. That cap figure coming in lower is going to likely cost the Celtics a pretty good player.
Bradley is definitely more likely to go. He's a free agent next year. Jae is not and is on a great contract. They will lose AB for nothing. Id rather have AB but it's not logical. Who knows. Maybe they move Them for that bum center on ATL that shoots threes.

Think Indy has any regrets about jumping on the OKC trade for George so quickly? Now that Hayward is in Boston, it stands to reason that Danny would be more optimistic about locking up George. Wonder how much Indy could've gotten from him.

Servbot24

Banned
Think Indy has any regrets about jumping on the OKC trade for George so quickly? Now that Hayward is in Boston, it stands to reason that Danny would be more optimistic about locking up George. Wonder how much Indy could've gotten from him.

They handled the George trade in the worst way possible at every step

Indiana had all summer to field offers for George
Season starts in fucking October

The time to trade for garbage is during the all star game

I'd rather take Crowder x Smart x lakers pick x Memphis pick for George than lol Ololdipo

Indiana had all summer to field offers for George
Season starts in fucking October

The time to trade for garbage is during the all star game

I'd rather take Crowder x Smart x lakers pick x Memphis pick for George than lol Ololdipo

I thought a big part of it was that Indy didn't want him to trade him to a team in the East.

Pacers didn't care. They wanted to exile him to OKC.

They didn't want to let him go to a team that can reach the finals and sure as hell didn't want to grant his wish and send him to LA.

Ainge wasn't giving him something better than a pick in the 20s and they knew it.

The Vertical says maybe Marc Gasol could end up being a target for the Celtics.

Yeah, a lot of NBA Twitter guys are talking about it. Don't think there's anything serious yet outside of Mannix saying some unnamed execs have talked about it being a possibility.

Top Bottom