• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

You keep bringing up teams with talent.

That mediocre roster had horford, milsap, teague, korver at his peak, etc. Those 2 teams are literally NOTHING alike. This is stupid I don't know why I'm engaging in this convo.

Yeeeeaaaa, that team won off defense...

spyder_ur

Its not just a Westbrook thing though. In 2014/15 Atlanta won 60 games with a mediocre roster + playing fast. That same year Pheonix won 39 games. Im not saying the nets will win a lot of games. They will likely be sub .500. However playing fast will probably get them an extra 10 wins and make them a 30-40 win team rather then a 20-30 win team

Comparing that Hawks team to this Nets team is ridiculous.

mjp2417

Banned
Regarding the Jazz/Hayward situation, I'm not convinced that it's going to hurt them as much as one would think.

Hayward is a very good player and was their most important guy on offense, but I wouldn't call him a major game changer. Plus the Jazz are still a great defensive squad with excellent coaching and if they can make moves for a decent wing, see improvement from guys like Hood and maybe get some production out of Mitchell like the Bucks got from Brogdan, I can still see them in the 40-50 win range.

Edit:
Nets strike me as a team that won't be good in terms of wins but will consistently be competitive in every game.

I think Quinn Snyder + Rudy + defense can drag them to maybe 40 wins or so, but I'd be surprised at anything more. There's very little scoring left on the roster. Also, the West is a murderors' row.

LionPride

Banned
Its not just a Westbrook thing though. In 2014/15 Atlanta won 60 games with a mediocre roster + playing fast. That same year Pheonix won 39 games. Im not saying the nets will win a lot of games. They will likely be sub .500. However playing fast will probably get them an extra 10 wins and make them a 30-40 win team rather then a 20-30 win team
That Hawks team had a good starting lineup, a decent bench, and played great defense

But okay

Make shitty comparisoms

alejob

Come on man!

Can't wait for the Cavs to demolish the Cs, again!

jdstorm

Banned
You keep bringing up teams with talent.

That mediocre roster had horford, milsap, teague, korver at his peak, etc. Those 2 teams are literally NOTHING alike. This is stupid I don't know why I'm engaging in this convo.

Lets put it this way.

Fact. Last year Jeremy Lin played 36 games for the Nets.
Fact. Brooklyn won 13 of those games
Fact. If you take that rate over the course of the whole season it projects at 29 wins.
Fact. Last season Brooklyn had the 8th worst adjusted defensive rating and 3rd worst adjusted offensive rating
Fact. Last year Denver had the 2nd worst defensive rating in the nba and won 40 games
Fact. Brooklyn traded Brook Lopez for D'angelo Russell in the offseason
Fact. D'angelo Russel is a good offensive player and can create for others (2017 Assist% was 26.8)
Fact. Last season Brooklyn was 26th in 3pt% at .338
Fact D'angelo Russell shot .352 from 3 on 6 attempts per game
Fact D'angelo Russell will create open shots for others
Fact. Brooklyn retained their 4 best 3 point shooters from last season.

So when you factor in that Brooklyn will be a much better 3pt shooting team this season and will be able to score consistently with Russell and Lin. Its fair to say they will be much better this season then last. Especially since it would be hard for their defense to be any worse.

Patrick Patterson for 5 million+ a year is really good value and a perfect fit for that team

It is a great deal for them. The Raptors signed him for more his last contract.. to a three-year, $18 million contract.
Dude really played horrible in his contract year but still surprised it is this low considering how ridiculous amounts some dudes are getting paid.

Lets put it this way.

Fact. If you take that rate over the course of the whole season it projects at 29 wins.
Fact. Last season Brooklyn had the 8th worst adjusted defensive rating and 3rd worst adjusted offensive rating
Fact. Last year Denver with the 29th worst defensive rating in the nba and won 40 games
Fact. D'angelo Russel is a good offensive player and can create for others (2017 Assist% was 26.8)

So when you factor in that Brooklyn will be a much better 3pt shooting team this season and will be able to score consistently with Russell and Lin. Its fair to say they will be much better this season then last. Especially since it would be hard for their defense to be any worse.

Can you name the projected Nets starting 5 for the upcoming season? No google allowed here.

Cornbread78

6eR10wk.png

Any bigs left for a sign and trade at least?

Dedmon would be a dope fit, but he's restricted....

mjp2417

Banned
The Nets had the worst record in basketball and got worse in the short term this offseason. They are still the clear favorite for the most ping pong balls next year.

spyder_ur

Lets put it this way.

Fact. Last year Denver with the 29th worst defensive rating in the nba and won 40 games

Brook Lopez made the most 3 pointers of anyone on the Nets last year, one less than Russell.

DD7eFNvUIAAICSE.jpg

jesus...getting Stevens might just be Ainge's defining moment

Honestly, Stevens is maybe the most crucial element of what the Celtics have been able to do these last 4 or so years, and tonight was the peak. That was basically a goddamn love letter.

It's so dumb that Otto Porter and Redick make as much money and Kevin Durant. Durant is in his prime taking far less money than Curry who is breaking records, because the team must stay together. It's just bonkers.

Boogs31

Yeah? They still need a vet in there and I hope Frank Mason turns out good but he was a 2nd round pick for a reason.

If I'm Sacramento, I want to be bad next year. They own their first round pick and it's really their last shot at adding a star player (They don't have their 2019 pick). Why not let Fox and Mason play as much as possible? Their priority should be to develop their young talent. Signing Hill and Z-Bo, who will make the Kings a better team next year and take minutes away from their young prospects, is looking at the present when they should be focused on the future.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
If I'm Sacramento, I want to be bad next year. They own their first round pick and it's really their last shot at adding a star player (They don't have their 2019 pick). Why not let Fox and Mason play as much as possible? Their priority should be to develop their young talent. Signing Hill and Z-Bo, who will make the Kings a better team next year and take minutes away from their young prospects, is looking at the present when they should be focused on the future.

I disagree in the sense its gonna make us much better. We are still gonna be a bottom feeder team in the west. Might not have the worst record but having the right guys on the team can do alot in improving the prospects too.

Boogs31

I disagree in the sense its gonna make us much better. We are still gonna be a bottom feeder team in the west. Might not have the worst record but having the right guys on the team can do alot in improving the prospects too.

I'm not saying they're going to be great, but if they help you win an extra 8 to 10 games that's the difference between the number 1 pick and the 5th. And I understand the idea of having veterans to show the young guys how to be professional, but they already have some of those vets. Unless they've changed teams, they have Koufas, Tolliver and Temple who should be filling that role already.

Really interested in seeing the Celtics this year. Hayward getting passes from IT/Horford not having to be the primary offensive player will be good for him. Maybe the Eastern finals will actually be interesting.

mjp2417

Banned
Interested in your breakdown of how they handle the Warriors.

Russ/Roberson/PG/Patterson/Adams gives you a ton of length, athleticism, and defensive switchability which you absolutely need against the Dubs. No one thinks they are going to win the series next year, but it is a roster that is coherently constructed to give them problems which is all you can really ask for.

Top Bottom