• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Definitely possible. I don't think Jaylen was ever a top prospect like Tatum. I think he was top 3 out of high school.

Tatum has played better D then Jaylen all summer league.

Talking tools/ceiling. Like I said Tatum is more NBA ready from the jump no doubt. I think Tatum defense will be exposed in actual games and it'll be tough for him against the speed of the NBA.

Also Jaylen I believe was ranked 2 or even 1 with ben Simmons up there as well.

Tall4Life

Brown has to play as the #1 option here and basically the leader when before he was part of a larger core. He's going to struggle a bit.

Doesn't mean he's not great.

Last years draft was awful and I still thought he went too high

He was still a super high prospect. It's not like he came out of nowhere. A 5 star recruit who had a really good freshman season and projects as an elite athlete and 2 way player isn't getting drafted over Lauri Markkanan or Luke Kennard? Man people still love inflating the 2017 draft class.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Brown has to play as the #1 option here and basically the leader when before he was part of a larger core. He's going to struggle a bit.

Doesn't mean he's not great.

Again Tatum is built around exactly what he's being asked to do here. It's known Jaylen has bad handles and needs space to operate. Mitchell shut Tatum down the other night and he'll see a lot stronger competition in the regular season. He also will struggle extremely hard on d. Let's look at it this way, in a vacuum Jaylen went toe to toe with LeBron last season and held his own. Imo I think bron would feast on tatum.

Lonzo and Tatum showed up today. Was honestly expecting Brown to torch us today but seems like he had a off game or Kuzma must've really defended him well.

Making a wish he finds his shot again. Great performance though.

face-throwing-a-kiss.png

Again Tatum is built around exactly what he's being asked to do here. It's known Jaylen has bad handles and needs space to operate. Mitchell shut Tatum down the other night and he'll see a lot stronger competition in the regular season. He also will struggle extremely hard on d. Let's look at it this way, in a vacuum Jaylen went toe to toe with LeBron last season and held his own. Imo I think bron would feast on tatum.

LeBron would break Tatum in half like a breadstick.

jmizzal

He was still a super high prospect. It's not like he came out of nowhere. A 5 star recruit who had a really good freshman season and projects as an elite athlete and 2 way player isn't getting drafted over Lauri Markkanan or Luke Kennard? Man people still love inflating the 2017 draft class.

Lauri is a completely different position, but maybe he goes 12, 13 or 14 but I think top 11 would go over him, so I say he wouldnt have went top 10.

I know all about Jaylon Browns history and I think he's an overrated prospect

Tom Penny

Talking tools/ceiling. Like I said Tatum is more NBA ready from the jump no doubt. I think Tatum defense will be exposed in actual games and it'll be tough for him against the speed of the NBA.

Jaylen is an athlete right now and not a basketball player and it's obvious. That was my concern when they drafted him but rather him then Heild and Dunn.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Lauri is a completely different position, but maybe he goes 12, 13 or 14 but I think top 11 would go over him, so I say he wouldnt have went top 10.

I know all about Jaylon Browns history and I think he's an overrated prospect

I'm just ready for the regular season when Tatum is tasked with stopping actual basketball players and goes against real defenders. His showing against Mitchell and Jackson are... interesting.

So 2 Summer League games in, what have we learned?

Lonzo=future hall of famer
Jaylen Brown=next Jeff Green
Jayson Tatum=somewhere between Wes Johnson and Paul Pierce

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Jaylen is an athlete right now and not a basketball player and it's obvious. That was my concern when they drafted him but rather him then Heild and Dunn.

Oh god yeah. See i think Jaylens skill has come along a bit though. His transition footwork and control was really impressive in the first game. His stroke is noticeably improved and he has a lot more confidence in that. He has nice footwork in the post, but id say he's not quite sure how to use it to his full potential yet. For instance he burned a guy in the post and had an opening but opted for the fall away which went and looked great, but he should've recognized he had the dunk there. He also had a spin move into the and 1 in transition and also eurostepped his way through 2 defenders in transition with the nice finish.

He got to the rim at an elite clip in college and the line as well, but was always a hair away from finishing with the ball barely running out. It seems to me he's got more awareness and control of himself once he's moving. The problem this sl is he's been trying to great all of this for himself in the half court his last 2 games and he still can't quite get it started. I think that's a conscious decision on the coaching staff and himself trying out his new approach, which is obviously the time to do it. I think brad will utilize him well this season, and I hope to see some serious improvement in his ability to rotate on defense.

Sandfox

The concerns with Tatum are:
1. Can he guard either forward position
2. His efficiency against NBA defenders

He's extremely skilled offensively though and like I said before the draft, his college numbers compare favorably to guys like Paul Pierce, Joe Johnson, and Gordon Hayward.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So 2 Summer League games in, what have we learned?

Lonzo=future hall of famer
Jaylen Brown=next Jeff Green
Jayson Tatum=somewhere between Wes Johnson and Paul Pierce

He will never be Jeffrey fucking green. Jeff has no backbone whatsoever. Softest sonofabitch ive had the displeasure of watching. At least if Jaylen never develops, he'll go down swinging.

It was Simmons then Skal at number 1 and 2

LionPride

Banned
I'm sorry I dont see it with Brown, never did if he was in this draft he prob wouldnt even went lottery, dude has way too many IF's, while Tatum is a natural scorer and rebounder

He has a 7 foot wingspan which helps with him not being as athletic
Yo what the fuck kinda drugs you takin

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I've changed my tune on Lavar Ball, I've actually grown to really like him and what he's doing.

I just don't know if Lonzo was worth the #2 pick. He has such a weird jumpshot and only shot 67% from the free throw line in college. I'm rooting for him but I just don't know if he was worth the #2. It doesn't matter today anyway because we won't really know about this draft class till 3 years down the line.

He has great vision though and passing ability but he's always reminded me of a Ricky Rubio. Which isn't a bad thing because once the Lakers swoop in on free agents next summer he'll just need to facilitate the ball.

I've changed my tune on Lavar Ball, I've actually grown to really like him and what he's doing.

I just don't know if Lonzo was worth the #2 pick. He has such a weird jumpshot and only shot 67% from the free throw line in college. I'm rooting for him but I just don't know if he was worth the #2. It doesn't matter today anyway because we won't really know about this draft class till 3 years down the line.

He has great vision though and passing ability but he's always reminded me of a Ricky Rubio. Which isn't a bad thing because once the Lakers swoop in on free agents next summer he'll just need to facilitate the ball.

He also has some pretty natural super star magnetism and charisma, Stafford-esque in that regard.

Fjordson

McCaw facing up and hitting jumpers + 3 threes. I'm giddy bruh.

Edit: yeah, McCaw is probably too good for summer league. Rest that man.

Cornbread78

McCaw facing up and hitting jumpers + 3 threes. I'm giddy bruh.

Edit: yeah, McCaw is probably too good for summer league. Rest that man.

Who cares when we already know GS is going to win out the next couple years at least...

Just another dude being handed another ring..

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
He also has some pretty natural super star magnetism and charisma, Stafford-esque in that regard.

These things take time. I'm reminded of Matthew Stafford's first career game against the New Orleans Saints in 2009. Stafford had a rough game, throwing 3 picks, but you could see the potential and greatness just by the way he stood in the pocket and delivered the football.

Same thing with Lonzo in his first summer league game. He was probably nervous but the passing and court vision is God given and cannot be taught. He's going to look real good next year when he's running an offense and dishing the ball to Russell Westbrook.

Top Bottom