• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Gigglepoo

If IT were fully healthy and ready to have a contract year, the trade wouldn't be getting voided.

If he sits on Boston's bench moping even after the doctors clear him to play, that's not a good look at all. He's under contract, he'll have to play. That's basketball. Boston doesn't have to trade him if this deal falls through and he'd be stupid to spend the season pouting.

If he sits on Boston's bench moping even after the doctors clear him to play, that's not a good look at all. He's under contract, he'll have to play. That's basketball. Boston doesn't have to trade him if this deal falls through.

I don't think that's why the person you quoted is saying Boston would be fucked. They are saying that because if this traded gets rescinded, it will be because IT's hip injury is worse than previously thought, which means Boston's best player from last year will spend the season hobbled and compromised and Boston won't be able to replace him with a guy like Kyrie, because at this point IT would be essentially nothing but cap filler. Normally teams will trade for contract year expiring guys if they think they can get something out of him. Boston would essentially get nothing out of IT (again their best player last year) either because he'd be injured, or they'd have to trade him for scraps.

Danny is deep throat. Put it together.

My sauces found this exclusive photo.

viJ2WIW.jpg

https://twitter.com/NoahCoslov/status/901475566406311936?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1609091%26start%3D260
https://twitter.com/NoahCoslov/status/901475767388975105?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1609091%26start%3D260

1/2 - On Isaiah Thomas & Cavs - put this out 2 hrs ago on FB: There's a feeling from Cavs medical team that there's a significant chance...
2/2 - that IT never plays meaningful minutes again, & if he does, it would be after surgery & 6+ months of rehab. More @SiriusXMNBA 1-4 ET.

Danny you massive fool!

Servbot24

Banned
Danny, the Indiana Pacers have convened and reached the verdict that we will bear the burden of Isiah Thomas's broken hip on our roster. We'll even pay for his flight!

Dragun619

Damn, Isaiah must be mad frustrated with all of this. Especially if he has to get surgery in the end. Hard to see any team give him a Max contract after that.

jdstorm

Banned
JDStorm fascinates me so much. He is the only NBA fan on the planet who thinks Monroe is anything but a average at best back-up big and that the fucking NETS are going to have a better record than the playoff locked Timberwolves and likely playoff teams like Pistons or the Hornets.

He is like the Stephen A. Smith of NBA GAF, except with even more bizarre takes.

I actually am not that high on Monroe and think he is a good but situational backup big.

Thats the reason Cleveland should trade for him. His minimal trade value as a player means they can extort more value from Milwaukee via future Draft picks. (Aka what CLE need to rebuild post Lebron)

Its also because getting Monroe allows you to trade Love (who has more value then Monroe via trade but less to Cleveland since Lebron should be playing PF and Love is too undersized to be a good C) and get better value when looking for a new PG/SF. (You never get good value on like/like trades in the NBA because teams don't have as strong of a need for the player being moved)

jdstorm

Banned
Those 1st round picks in the late teens and early 20s from the Bucks will make Cleveland's rebuild a breeze

Its a gamble, but the point is to get assets from the Bucks after Kyrie's contract expires and hope it turns into something great. It also works on a bunch of other levels.

Besides lottery picks (and only one at that) arent a guarentee Cleveland will expexiate a rebuild. Last time Lebron left Cleveland had 3 no1 picks in 4 years plus 2 more top 5 picks.

Cleveland Drafted Kyrie (Allstar) Thompson (starter) Dion Waiters ( Bust in CLE) Anthony Bennet ( Who?) And Traded Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love (good short term, but right now CLE would rather have Wiggins then Love)

There is no reason to expect a competent rebuild even if Cleveland get a top 5 pick via Brooklyn this season.

mjp2417

Banned
I actually am not that high on Monroe and think he is a good but situational backup big.

Thats the reason Cleveland should trade for him. His minimal trade value as a player means they can extort more value from Milwaukee via future Draft picks. (Aka what CLE need to rebuild post Lebron)

Its also because getting Monroe allows you to trade Love (who has more value then Monroe via trade but less to Cleveland since Lebron should be playing PF and Love is too undersized to be a good C) and get better value when looking for a new PG/SF. (You never get good value on like/like trades in the NBA because teams don't have as strong of a need for the player being moved)

It's a comically terrible trade dude. Just take the L.

Eleuin

in a talent starved league like the nba more teams need to trade for low picks because their former top ones didn't work out

clearly another player like Irving won't help anymore than the likes of Kenneth Faried, Nolan Smith & Iman Shumpert

Bread

Banned
in a talent starved league like the nba more teams need to trade for low picks because their former top ones didn't work out

clearly another player like Irving won't help anymore than the likes of Kenneth Faried, Nolan Smith & Iman Shumpert
A rebuild isn't possible with lotto picks, you need the college seniors and raw underperforming freshman in the early 20s. Also you need a power forward that can't get playing time on a playoff team.

Tall4Life

Giving up a player taken in the top 3 along with a potential top 5 pick and all those players just for fucking Kyrie Irving is mad. That'd be close to Paul Pierce/KG to the Nets level of robbery.

Giving up a player taken in the top 3 along with a potential top 5 pick and all those players just for fucking Kyrie Irving is mad. That'd be close to Paul Pierce/KG to the Nets level of robbery.

Anything is possible but I can't imagine Brown or Tatum being involved in this deal. I imagine at most the C's include their own pick for next year.

Tall4Life

Anything is possible but I can't imagine Brown or Tatum being involved in this deal. I imagine at most the C's include their own pick for next year.

Yeah, one of those lower tier picks we have, including our own pick, would be fine with me. If we give up Brown, Tatum, or the Lakers pick, that is actual theft that I will report to the authorities.

mjp2417

Banned

Boston's own 2018 is what I'm betting on as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Cavs are currently talking to the Suns about what an acceptable Bledsoe package would look like if IT is basically a flier for this season.

Tall4Life

Boston's own 2018 is what I'm betting on as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Cavs are currently talking to the Suns about what an acceptable Bledsoe package would look like if IT is basically a flier for this season.

The Nets pick is worth much more than Bledsoe, and nothing the suns could offer besides Devin Booker as well could get the Cavs over the Warriors before LeBron leaves

The Nets pick is worth much more than Bledsoe, and nothing the suns could offer besides Devin Booker as well could get the Cavs over the Warriors before LeBron leaves

Bledsoe, the Suns 1st next year and one of PHX's young bigs? Granted that's not as good as the Brooklyn pick (which is all of a sudden super valuable again, funny how that works) but the trade off is that the Cavs are better equipped in the short term with Bledsoe over a broken IT to take advantage of a LeBron James prime year.

mjp2417

Banned
Bledsoe, the Suns 1st next year and one of PHX's young bigs? Granted that's not as good as the Brooklyn pick (which is all of a sudden super valuable again, funny how that works) but the trade off is that the Cavs are better equipped in the short term with Bledsoe over a broken IT to take advantage of a LeBron James prime year.

The Suns own pick is roughly as valuable as the Nets pick. It would have to be Bledsoe + Miami pick + something else.

jbug617

Banned
Story is out now
Cleveland had significantly valued the 2018 Nets pick in the trade, and Boston believed it allowed for Thomas' physical uncertainty in the current terms of the deal, league sources said.

Thomas, 28, will be an unrestricted free agent in 2018, and could still re-establish his market value with a strong performance and a return to his quick, explosive self. Cleveland had coveted 2017 No. 3 overall draft pick Jayson Tatum, but Boston has consistently remained unwilling to include him into trade talks for Irving, league sources said.

Besides its own future first-round picks, Boston has possible access to future protected picks from the Los Angeles Lakers (2018), LA Clippers (2019) and Memphis Grizzlies (2019). Boston does have control of several second-round draft picks, too, which also could be included into a deal.

On Kyrie returning to Cavs if deal falls apart.
He asked for a trade and has wanted no part of a return to the Cavaliers. Cleveland would need to quickly re-engage potential teams around the league on trade scenarios again. The Cavaliers could ultimately help themselves in the short term by moving Irving to one of the several Western Conference teams that they had discussed deals.

This way, the Cavaliers wouldn't be fortifying the biggest threat to their Eastern Conference supremacy, Boston, in the final year before James could leave in free agency. Still, Boston had offered Cleveland the deal it most wanted -- which included a draft pick that is likely better than any other available to the Cavaliers on the market.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...n-seek-additional-compensation-boston-celtics

Top Bottom