• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Wouldn't the Clippers need to get rid of everyone on their team besides those 3 to sign KD? They would only have 4 players and would need to give out minimum contracts, which means it's GAF's time to shine!

And KD would still have to take slightly less than the max.

Dthomp

Wouldn't the Clippers need to get rid of everyone on their team besides those 3 to sign KD? They would only have 4 players and would need to give out minimum contracts, which means it's GAF's time to shine!

That's what they reported on ESPN, they'd have to deal everybody outside of the current big 3 just to sign him and fill out the roster with minimum guys. That sure sounds like a 1st round exit to me

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The question is if Horford goes to the Celtics that means the Hawks have basically swapped Howard for Horford.

Can't decide if this is an upgrade or a downgrade. Kinda feels like a wash right now.

Bread

Banned
The question is if Horford goes to the Celtics that means the Hawks have basically swapped Howard for Horford.

Can't decide if this is an upgrade or a downgrade. Kinda feels like a wash right now.
I'd say it's an upgrade because Millsap is a great fit with Howard.

BadAss2961

KD would be an idiot to go to the clippers
Yes he would. These won't happen...But I could see the Spurs, to play in that system under Popovich. I could even understand Miami if he wanted to move east. But the Clippers are a mentally weak team that are probably destined to always be pretenders. If you're considering them, you might as well just stay put in OKC.

Golden State is obviously the place to go if it's all about locking up a championship.

Vanillalite

O
M
F
G

I can't GAF

Lmfaooooo

screenshot_20160701-2f3sl3.png

Yes he would. These won't happen...But I could see the Spurs, to play in that system under Popovich. I could even understand Miami if he wanted to move east. But the Clippers are a mentally weak team that are probably destined to always be pretenders. If you're considering them, you might as well just stay put in OKC.

Golden State is obviously the place to go if it's all about locking up a championship.

KD should just do a 1 year warrior deal
Just get the title so people can stop talking shit about you not winning one

mjp2417

Banned

Hawks have to be thinking about their roster in terms of how can we compete with Cleveland. Howard definitely makes more sense in this case because they get abused without a rim protector. Of course, this probably translates into losing 4-1 against the Cavs next year rather than 4-0

Mortemis

Banned
Lol clippers. Unless you're trading away one of your big three, keep dreaming about Durant.

So who's left for meetings in the KD sweepstakes? I think Heat and Spurs right. Let's say the Spurs somehow convince KD to come, would it be that hard for them to make the space? I'm guessing trading Green and some others.

jbug617

Banned
Lol clippers. Unless you're trading away one of your big three, keep dreaming about Durant.

So who's left for meetings in the KD sweepstakes? I think Heat and Spurs right. Let's say the Spurs somehow convince KD to come, would it be that hard for them to make the space? I'm guessing trading Green and some others.

tomorrow is Spurs and Celtics. Sunday is Heat. Rumor is that the Thunder will get 1 more meeting.

Kickz

The Lakers have a 40+ year history with their fanbase. People aren't just going to jump off to another team anymore than Yankee fans would become Met fans. Sure there is a certain segment of bandwagon fans that come and go, but the bandwagon Laker fans already jumped shit to Golden State 2 years ago.

Another 3 years of tanking and things might change, Lakers have never been this bad before.

Vanillalite

Hawks have to be thinking about their roster in terms of how can we compete with Cleveland. Howard definitely makes more sense in this case because they get abused without a rim protector. Of course, this probably translates into losing 4-1 against the Cavs next year rather than 4-0

Mozgov isn't in Cleveland anymore.

That being said Cleveland went Wild'n Out on Horford in the playoffs. Not just Moz. The whole team.

So I'm not sure what keeping him would have done.

Dthomp

KD should just do a 1 year warrior deal
Just get the title so people can stop talking shit about you not winning one

There is no way people stop talking shit. Lebron left an AWFUL situation to win his rings. The Cavs were in a spot where they could no longer add talent around him and weren't trying. The Thunder have made moves every season to get better and are in a great spot and he'll be seen in such a better light if he can win one in OKC. Joining a title team and getting a title will not make a difference in his career the way it did Lebron. KD is my favorite player in the league and really the only reason I watch anymore, and I lose all respect for him if he leaves to join another team for an easy title. Fucking step up, play like a stud and finish what you started in OKC

Two Words

Because it needs to be reiterated again.

Dirk left 72M on the table for Mark Cuban to make moves.

Yup, that's why I want Dirk to get a huge payday. Fuck it. We're not going to sign anybody. Give Dirk a ridiculous 3 year contract. Let him just make money and fill in the stats sheets for the record books. Celebrate his career and have a parade for him as he walks out of the NBA. Then just rebuild from scratch.

Tom Penny

Mozgov isn't in Cleveland anymore.

That being said Cleveland went Wild'n Out on Horford in the playoffs. Not just Moz. The whole team.

So I'm not sure what keeping him would have done.

Hawks played D like they were the Celtics and left every shooter wide open. That was horrendous coaching. Doubling Lebron constantly when you have Milsap on D.

Cuban's going to give it to him instead of tanking like he should.

best believe

anyways,

holy shit, just chiming in. these contracts are insane. Mike Conley max contract? What world do I live in

Because it needs to be reiterated again.

Dirk left 72M on the table for Mark Cuban to make moves.

Dirk needs to leave. He has 0 chance of winning another title with the Mavs. Cuban is gonna overpay for someone so they can make it to the 8th seed.

He's loyal as fuck tho. I can't think of another player as loyal as Dirk, so I'm guessing he stays.

Vanillalite

Wade Jones the only player to show up for the Heat in the playoffs.

I know they locked up Whiteside, but he was crickets in a bunch of playoff games.

If Jones leaves better hope Bosh comes back or the Heat go back to being 5-8 seed vs 1-4 seed.

BadAss2961

Top 10 is debatable but it's also beyond the point. This is how much players get paid now, Conley was just lucky enough to be one of the first players to get a max in this new cap era.
He shouldn't be getting a max or anything even close to it. Every pretty good player will demand a max now because of this.

Steph, Westbrook, Paul, Lillard, and maybe Kyrie are the only point guards I could justify giving that kind of money to unless i'm just that one piece away from a championship. Memphis is dumb.

He shouldn't be getting a max or anything even close to it. Every pretty good player will demand a max now because of this.

Steph, Westbrook, Paul, Lillard, and maybe Kyrie are the only point guards I could justify giving that kind of money to unless i'm just that one piece away from a championship. Memphis is dumb.

Paying him the max is better than letting him walk away for nothing.

Tom Penny

LOL fucking Heat. I fucking hate Wade but that is some stupid shit right there...

The Heat's initial offer of $10 million annually – which would've constituted a 50 percent pay cut from his $20 million 2015-16 salary – deeply angered Wade, league sources told The Vertical.

Seriously? Lmao

The Heat's initial offer of $10 million annually – which would've constituted a 50 percent pay cut from his $20 million 2015-16 salary – deeply angered Wade, league sources told The Vertical. Even with the Heat planning to counter to a higher figure, league sources said, Wade has been insistent on starting to explore the market and meet with teams once he returns from an overseas vacation, league sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--dwyane-wade-fielding--20-million-a-year-offers-012602222.html

Mortemis

Banned
Paying him the max is better than letting him walk away for nothing.

Plus, even if he's not worth the max, it's not like they're gonna save that cap space for someone who is. Memphis isn't a place attracting players who would be 'worth' a max.

The Heat's initial offer of $10 million annually – which would've constituted a 50 percent pay cut from his $20 million 2015-16 salary – deeply angered Wade, league sources told The Vertical. Even with the Heat planning to counter to a higher figure, league sources said, Wade has been insistent on starting to explore the market and meet with teams once he returns from an overseas vacation, league sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--dwyane-wade-fielding--20-million-a-year-offers-012602222.html

Dude is in the right to be angry. He's not as great as he once was but he most definitely hasn't regressed to a 10M player, especially in this market.

Sifl

Trying to give Wade a 10 million a year contract during an offseason where Timofey Mozgov gets 16 per seems like an incredibly dumb thing to do.

Ainge should really throw the max at Wade when the KD meeting is over , just to make Pat shook

Knicks should have waited, they could have had Wade lol

Tom Penny

I disagree. He's not even close to worth it. Memphis will be average at best with or without him.

There's no way they couldn't have at least negotiated a much better deal.

You'd be surprised but Conley would have got Max at like 27 a year from another team. They just said fuck it.

I disagree. He's not even close to worth it. Memphis will be average at best with or without him.

THey have no leverage really. The longer negotiations take the more of a chance he starts to look at other options. And for all intents and purposes it doesn't really matter if he gives them a slight discount.

Chase17

I don't think they are really missing out on anything by paying him. Maybe the organization really likes him and want to give him the extra money to ensure that he stays.

mjp2417

Banned

Assuming health, this current Memphis roster is a 50+ win team and a 4 or 5 seed in the West. That is definitely much better than average. They are also demonstrably worse without Conley. Also, with the Mavs interested and Cuban striking out on other free agents, you would have to assume that Dallas would have maxed him as well.

spyder_ur

Al's Wiki page is hilarious right now. Changing every minute.

" 'Al Hodor' singlehandedly held the door against the White Walkers"

Top Bottom