• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

NBA Offseason |OT| Droppin' Dimes, Droppin' Dimes

Yesssss. With all the Love gifs.

hk77yR7.gif

harSon

Banned
oden and bynum were born in the wrong era

if they were born a few years later, they could have both had max contacts this off season....

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
best believe

anyways,

holy shit, just chiming in. these contracts are insane. Mike Conley max contract? What world do I live in

Dirk needs to leave. He has 0 chance of winning another title with the Mavs. Cuban is gonna overpay for someone so they can make it to the 8th seed.

He's loyal as fuck tho. I can't think of another player as loyal as Dirk, so I'm guessing he stays.

KG, Duncan, and Dirk are probably three of the most loyal players in league history. McHale had to persuade KG to let the team trade him. First thing KG said in his post-game interview after winning a championship for the city of Boston, Massachusetts was "This is for everybody in 'Sota."

Think about that: He won a championship for Boston. And he said it was for everybody in Minnesota. That's crazy. WHO ELSE EVEN DOES THAT?! WHO ELSE DOES THAT AND GETS AWAY WITH IT?!

KG, Duncan, and Dirk are probably three of the most loyal players in league history. McHale had to persuade KG to let the team trade him. First thing KG said in his post-game interview after winning a championship for the city of Boston, Massachusetts was "This is for everybody in 'Sota."

Think about that: He won a championship for Boston. And he said it was for everybody in Minnesota. That's crazy. WHO ELSE EVEN DOES THAT?! WHO ELSE DOES THAT AND GETS AWAY WITH IT?!

Man that moment made me shed man tears.

Kickz

Thats why he is still revered here in Minny, he's the only thing worth a damn this franchise ever produced until last 2 years.

mjp2417

Banned
Has there been any sort of word about Horford and the Warriors? Wish they'd at least inquire, would be such a good fit.

There was apparently a "mystery team" meeting with him along with Boston/Houston/Washington, but I assume that was OKC. Horford probably requires a max and I don't think the sacrifice in depth that would be required to make that work would be worth it for Golden St.

There was apparently a "mystery team" meeting with him along with Boston/Houston/Washington, but I assume that was OKC. Horford probably requires a max and I don't think the sacrifice in depth that would be required to make that work would be worth it for Golden St.

I hope he doesn't go to OKC. I want to see what happens next year if they disappoint because almost their entire team is free agents in 2017. They could either have the best record in the league or the worst depending on who stays and goes.

Fjordson

Man I don't know. They're willing to rearrange for KD, I feel Horford is almost worth it also. He would be so good next to Draymond.

Maybe age is a factor here for Myers and co. A max for him could look rough when he's 34-35.

mjp2417

Banned
Man I don't know. They're willing to rearrange for KD, I feel Horford is almost worth it also. He would be so good next to Draymond.

Maybe age is a factor here for Myers and co. A max for him could look rough when he's 34-35.

I think the difference is that KD on the Warriors basically breaks the league. Even if you have to move key guys like Iggy, etc. you have to do that. Horford is nowhere near that kind of transcendent player and you have to worry about a major re-shuffling upsetting the Warriors' depth and chemistry. Also, if you assume the Warriors are going to be playing the Cavs in the Finals for the near future, Horford doesn't really move the needle. TT has proven to be a matchup nightmare for him.

Two Words

Don't know if I'd throw Duncan on that list. Yeah, he took a paycut, but the Spurs regularly win championships so it's not like he had to worry about his paycut going to waste.

Golden State needs to make a move this year because even with the cap going up a lot more next year they'll lose cap space with having to pay Curry 20 mill a year more.

Apparently the KD Clippers interview was, "intense", and that both sides learned something that day lmaoooo

Lakers definitely on that Hinkie plan, Dallas has a fight on their hands.

not at all it seems like the lakers are going all in on developing the young players, if we were still tanking we would've kept tank commander byron scott

Fjordson

I think the difference is that KD on the Warriors basically breaks the league. Even if you have to move key guys like Iggy, etc. you have to do that. Horford is nowhere near that kind of transcendent player and you have to worry about a major re-shuffling upsetting the Warriors' depth and chemistry. Also, if you assume the Warriors are going to be playing the Cavs in the Finals for the near future, Horford doesn't really move the needle. TT has proven to be a matchup nightmare for him.
Good point on the Cavs matchup.

I guess running it back with a 73 win team ain't the worst thing ever. And Draymond and Klay could conceivably get even better. Though it'd be nice to make some smaller moves at least to help the bench. Don't wanna see guys like Varejao and McAdoo out there next year.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
NBA Offseason |OT| The 70 million dollar Dapmaster

Loving these ridiculous contracts..... OJ mayo seriously fucked up at the WORST time in free agent history.

Chase17

oden and bynum were born in the wrong era

if they were born a few years later, they could have both had max contacts this off season....
I'm not sure about wrong era so much as staying healthy a few years longer. They are both 28 and younger than Mozgoz/Dwight/Al

Unless you meant born a few years later to get huge money before injuries took over.

mjp2417

Banned
Oden still seems like maybe the most tragic what if in NBA history. Everything about him screamed can't miss and now he is remembered as the Sam Bowie figure who was picked over Durant (and I don't remember any knowledgeable basketball person arguing Durant > Oden circa 2007).

Did the nba forgot there's more basketball players? Why are they giving these monster contracts when there's other players available. I understand there's a minimum to spend but it's not because there's cap that teams should just spend it. It seems they give this stuff just to participate in the league vs trying to be competitive, which is why we have such a strange set of teams.

This just shows how huge it is to have a superstar in your team. It's not about the money, cause you won't be able to recruit them based on it. Any good player will get the $$$.

rinse82

I thought the Lakers were rebuilding

I would've just given Randle and Ingram all the minutes and see what happens. Deng will probably cut into mins at least in the beginning.

Or the Lakers just spent $72M for an old dude to come off the bench

Sanjuro

I have no problem with punting but it looks like they want 2nd round playoff fodder. If they sign him and keep enough for another max player next free agency it's not the end of the world.

It just seems like a waste without a plan intact. Same with last year. People wanted a rental of Horford, where I have no clue how he would benefit the team as constructed.

Brinbe

Seriously, don't see the point in Deng. He's gonna be cutting into Ingram or Randles minutes if he starts. And if he doesn't, why pay a bench mob guy such a ridiculous amount?

XrQkng3.png

Tom Penny

It just seems like a waste without a plan intact. Same with last year. People wanted a rental of Horford, where I have no clue how he would benefit the team as constructed.

It's a very expensive upgrade to fat ass in order to add a player to the roster most players around the league think is pretty good. Retain Amir and Swedish Larry Bird and hope to pounce on a trade when the Bulls and Kings tankathon gets going. I dunno.

Top Bottom