• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

DJwest

Luol Deng is getting around $18 million a year. Yeah, I hope the Miami front office don't still expect Wade to accept a paycut now.

True dat, Dwyane leaving Miami now seems very likely imo. Also, let's all laugh one more time at Melo for signing a long term deal with the freaking Knicks lol

jbug617

Banned
I think there is strong arguments for why Horford would pick C's or the Wizards. He would fit the system in Boston but would be C's best big man. Maybe he doesn't want to carry that load. Wizards have Wall and he can play PF because Gortat would be the C. I think for GM and coaching, the C's are better than the Wizards.

I think it's really up in there air and both sides have good arguments.

I think there is strong arguments for why Horford would pick C's or the Wizards. He would fit the system in Boston but would be C's best big man. Maybe he doesn't want to carry that load. Wizards have Wall and he can play PF because Gortat would be the C. I think for GM and coaching, the C's are better than the Wizards.

I think it's really up in there air and both sides have good arguments.

Are you saying Brad Stephens is a better head coach than Scotty Brooks? Debatable.

For the first time since '93 the Lakers have zero all-stars, nobody anybody good wants to play with. Durant, Whiteside, Horford wouldn't even talk to them. Bazemore opted to play in Atlanta for less money! DeRozan actively said the Laker legacy made it undesirable to play there. Its at the point where they just have to sign anybody to get to the salary floor and not be penalized. They might win 25 games next season. Its gon be at the end of the decade before they contend for anything, and thats only if their young core develops and their front office gets it together. LA is no longer a valuable place to play, with the new TV deal everybody's getting a time to shine and you dont need to be there to get endorsement deals.

The Los Angeles Lakers are just another rebuilding team, which is gonna be hard for the fanbase to accept but it what it is.

nubcake

Neo Member
Raps needs a PF, come on guys

I keep hearing that the Hawks would consider trading Millsap. I have no idea if that could fit our current cap situation or what they'd demand in return but in theory it would be an amazing fit. I think he'd be the perfect complement to Valanciunas.

For the first time since '93 the Lakers have zero all-stars, nobody anybody good wants to play with. Durant, Whiteside, Horford wouldn't even talk to them. Bazemore opted to play in Atlanta for less money! DeRozan actively said the Laker legacy made it undesirable to play there. Its at the point where they just have to sign anybody to get to the salary floor and not be penalized. They might win 25 games next season. Its gon be at the end of the decade before they contend for anything, and thats only if their young core develops and their front office gets it together. LA is no longer a valuable place to play, with the new TV deal everybody's getting a time to shine and you dont need to be there to get endorsement deals.

The Los Angeles Lakers are just another rebuilding team, which is gonna be hard for the fanbase to accept but it what it is.

LA market can still be a draw if all things are equal, but all things are not equal when you are a 17 win team. Lakers need to get credibility first before they can expect any huge names to come and play there.

Kickz

Why would the Lakers expect to get 2 maxes anyway? They couldn't even get meetings with LMA, KD, Horford or Whiteside but should hold out hope again for Westbrook and KD next year?

I suppose, I guess Mitch is comfortable going the 2-4 years of rebuilding route.

LA market can still be a draw if all things are equal, but all things are not equal when you are a 17 win team. Lakers need to get credibility first before they can expect any huge names to come and play there.

Yeah, in a sense the Mozgov and Deng signings should be a welcome sight to Lakers fans, it shows that maybe the team isn't delusional anymore.

I suppose, I guess Mitch is comfortable going the 2-4 years of rebuilding route.

Mitch has no choice, superstars aren't taking less money to go to LA just because it's LA. Build a decent team with a good young core and then maybe those two max contracts will come over.

BadAss2961

Did he really say that? Guys are so soft these days.

Did he really say that? Guys are so soft these days.

“I never seen someone do something and said I want to do it that way,” DeRozan said at the end of the year, after the entire playoff opera was in the books. “I want to do it my way. For the longest time, there was no surpassing Vince (Carter), and in my head for the longest, I always told myself, I’m going to have an opportunity to be one of the greatest Raptors of all time, to do something that hasn’t been done yet, to do something that hasn’t been dreamed of.

“And for me, to be second all-time scoring, the most wins as a Raptor, that’s something — you might not see it now, but that’s a legacy. Unless you go there and win seven championships, there’s no overshadowing who played (with the Lakers) for 20 years. That’s that. My whole mindset has always been, what can I do here that’ll separate me from others? And maybe someday, somebody will say, I want to try to pass DeMar. I want to do what DeMar did.”

Yeah, in a sense the Mozgov and Deng signings should be a welcome sight to Lakers fans, it shows that maybe the team isn't delusional anymore.

Mitch has no choice, superstars aren't taking less money to go to LA just because it's LA. Build a decent team with a good young core and then maybe those two max contracts will come over.

And by the time that happens, Mozgov and Deng's contracts will be inconsequential. It's not like signing those guys today is going to prevent LeBron and Westbrook from coming over next season. Cap space is easy to get and everyone has it.

megalowho

True dat, Dwyane leaving Miami now seems very likely imo. Also, let's all laugh one more time at Melo for signing a long term deal with the freaking Knicks lol
If the Knicks can find a way to make it work I hope Wade ends up there. Super Friends + Bulls + Porzingis sounds entertaining as hell.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
“I never seen someone do something and said I want to do it that way,” DeRozan said at the end of the year, after the entire playoff opera was in the books. “I want to do it my way. For the longest time, there was no surpassing Vince (Carter), and in my head for the longest, I always told myself, I’m going to have an opportunity to be one of the greatest Raptors of all time, to do something that hasn’t been done yet, to do something that hasn’t been dreamed of.

“And for me, to be second all-time scoring, the most wins as a Raptor, that’s something — you might not see it now, but that’s a legacy. Unless you go there and win seven championships, there’s no overshadowing who played (with the Lakers) for 20 years. That’s that. My whole mindset has always been, what can I do here that’ll separate me from others? And maybe someday, somebody will say, I want to try to pass DeMar. I want to do what DeMar did.”

That's awesome!

ViciousDS

Banned

If he can get efficient with scoring......he can honestly hit what he wants. I always forget he's only 26.....he can still make plenty of improvements

BadAss2961

That's not so bad. Still sort of a big fish in a small pond mindset though.

People afraid of those Lakers and Celtic legacies. Dat New York Knicks media. And the house that Jordan built.

That's not so bad. Still sort of a big fish in a small pond mindset though.

People afraid of those Lakers and Celtic legacies. Dat New York Knicks media. And the house that Jordan built.

I don't think players are actually afraid of any of those things though. It comes down to money and quality of the team.

Kickz

Yeah, in a sense the Mozgov and Deng signings should be a welcome sight to Lakers fans, it shows that maybe the team isn't delusional anymore

Looking back its funny the abuse Kobe took for scaring away Free Agents, when he was the only thing that kept them from hitting rock bottom as the Lakers are now.

Piecake

Well, so far I am happy with Thibs just do to the simple fact that he hasn't tried to compete with all the desperate crazies out there.

ViciousDS

Banned
Chris Vivlamore ✔ @CVivlamoreAJC
Al Horford has informed the Hawks that he will make his final free-agent decision tonight. Celtics and Wizards are currently in the lead.

Well C fans time to get excited or disappointed lol

Kickz

Any guesses where the rest end up?
I am gonna say Horford to Wizards, Durant to OKC, Gasol to Golden State, and Wade to Miami

Well, so far I am
happy with Thibs just do to the simple fact that he hasn't tried to compete with all the desperate crazies out there.

I am interested to see who he keys in on for his system.

Any guesses where the rest end up?
I am gonna say Horford to Wizards, Durant to OKC, Gasol to Golden State, and Wade to Miami

I am interested to see who he keys in on for his system.

Will the Warriors have enough money for Gasol if they max out Barnes?

Tom Penny

Even if they don't do either of those, making a good team with Horford that would have max cap room next year is a good plan.

9v4zte8lg953pcd8rf77t54vm.300x225x25.gif

Dirk is going to down with the Dallas ship. Too loyal.

Tom Penny

J0TQSMR.png

"We made it to the eastern conference finals, we the have room to pay you a max contract and we have the assets to add a third star" is a much better sell than what the C's have now.

Horford doesn't guarantee and ECF berth at all.It would leave them no excuse for a 1st round exit though.

spyder_ur

What do you want them to do Tom? They're in the market for 2 of the best 5 free agents out there. Horford makes them a significantly better team no matter what happens with Durant, and he doesn't cost any assets other than cap space. IMO they're clearly on the same level as Toronto in the east, and they're far more flexible moving forward.

Two Words

Looks like the Mavs aren't actually going for Wade. That's one thing I'm glad to hear. I guess Wade's camp was just blowing shit to get leverage.

Top Bottom