• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Tom Penny

What do you want them to do Tom? They're in the market for 2 of the best 5 free agents out there. Horford makes them a significantly better team no matter what happens with Durant, and he doesn't cost any assets other than cap space. IMO they're clearly on the same level as Toronto in the east, and they're far more flexible moving forward.

People are highly overrating Al Horford. Maybe winning a playoff round isn't significantly better. He's good player not a great player. As a singular addition he not a game changer. Will I take him. Sure. Will I be angry we don't get him. Not really.

aZOI6rV.png

NFL writers are going crazy.

Sifl

aZOI6rV.png

NFL writers are going crazy.
It's understandable. Football is the sport you'd expect players to make the most money from if you just got a quick explanation of the 2 sports, considering it has the most risk involved. But in the NBA scrubs and old players get ridiculous contracts, while nfl players can't even get guaranteed contracts.

It's understandable. Football is the sport you'd expect players to make the most money from if you just got a quick explanation of the 2 sports, considering it has the most risk involved. But in the NBA scrubs and old players get ridiculous contracts, while nfl players can't even get guaranteed contracts.

But the NBA contracts aren't actually ridiculous, they just seem huge because we're not used to the new salary cap. Saying shit like is Conley going to be 5X as good next year shows a clear misunderstanding of how the salary cap and, I guess, economics in general works. NFL players and reporters should be more upset with the NFLPA for not getting better deals for NFL players.

Vestal

roster size in NFL >> NBA.

53 vs 15

Piecake

double or triple the amount of football games and reduce the size of the teams and you'll likely get somewhere close to basketball contracts

Two Words

I think the gear NFL players wear hurts their marketing power. People don't really identify with any NFL players, except for the top ones. The NBA players' salaries didn't start to skyrocket until a few decades ago when the players started to become more iconic.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So, if a team doesn't hit the cap floor, they split all the remaining money among their signed players for the year, right?

Does that affect the salaries or cap for the following year? Or is it basically treated as a bonus?

Because I feel like a lot of teams might as well ride this thing out while everybody else overpays, and swoop in for some great signings next offseason.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hawks giving Horford the 5th yr but it's not Max money.

The problem is he's now in his 30s. So do you really want to pay a 35yo Horford max cash in a few years?

I also still don't see how the fuck the roster works.

So the starting 5 would be who again? Dennis, Baze, Horford, Howard, and Millsap?

Then what relegate Korver to the bench?

kIdMuScLe

NFL players union is dumb as hell. You have the highest revenue league in all of sports but the salary cap is at $155mil. is just baffling to me...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
NFL players union is dumb as hell. You have the highest revenue league in all of sports but the salary cap is at $155mil. is just baffling to me...

Not to mention the average NFL career length is 3 years and they can't even get guaranteed contracts for their players.

Wonder if this NBA FA is a wakeup call to the NFLPA.

jbug617

Banned
Pistons were the other team that met with Horford yesterday. They are out and it's down to 3 teams (C's, Wizards and Hawks)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Don't think the Hawks would have any issues getting a 1st rd for Millsap.

Honestly the fact they aren't offering Horford the max makes me think they just want him to walk but are trying to look like they didn't force him to leave at the same time.

Cheebo

Banned
The Pistons seems like such a good fit for him that I'm surprised he turned them down already.
Local Pistons beat writers have been mentioning Pistons balked at going full 4 year max and wanted him to go a bit under max, that they want to keep some flexibility to pay up for KCP next summer who will require a massive contract.

Tom Penny

Don't think the Hawks would have any issues getting a 1st rd for Millsap.

Honestly the fact they aren't offering Horford the max makes me think they just want him to walk but are trying to look like they didn't force him to leave at the same time.
So a lottery pick 2 other 1st round picks and some players can't get you Jimmy Butler but people are handing out 1st rounders for 1 year rentals?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Local Pistons beat writers have been mentioning Pistons balked at going full 4 year max and wanted him to go a bit under max, that they want to keep some flexibility to pay up for KCP next summer who will require a massive contract.

The team that just gave Jon Leuer 4/42 didn't want to pay Al Horford? Okay

Cheebo

Banned
The team that just gave Jon Leuer 4/42 didn't want to pay Al Horford? Okay
4 years 42 million is a hell of a lot less than 113 mil 4 years. They are probably done with free agency now this summer. Next summer is all about giving KCP the big contract, probably max or near max for him.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So a lottery pick 2 other 1st round picks and some players can't get you Jimmy Butler but people are handing out 1st rounders for 1 year rentals?

The Bulls were not trading Jimmy Butler for the 5th overall pick and whatever the hell Minnesota was offering. I don't think people realize how terrible Wiggins was last year at shooting the basketball. Rubio and some other garbage picks? Why would Chicago do that? Or some crappy Boston picks?

Jimmy Butler is a max level player on a long term contract that is far below what the max is now. If the Bulls gave that up for the garbage Minnesota was offering up then their new GM should have been fired on the spot.

A team thats trying to win a title -right now- would easily trade their 1st rd pick for a guy like Millsap.

The Bulls were not trading Jimmy Butler for the 5th overall pick and whatever the hell Minnesota was offering. I don't think people realize how terrible Wiggins was last year at shooting the basketball. Rubio and some other garbage picks? Why would Chicago do that? Or some crappy Boston picks?

Jimmy Butler is a max level player on a long term contract that is far below what the max is now. If the Bulls gave that up for the garbage Minnesota was offering up then their new GM should have been fired on the spot.

A team thats trying to win a title -right now- would easily trade their 1st rd pick for a guy like Millsap.

Yep, Butler's contract is spectacular under this new cap.

I keep hearing that the Hawks would consider trading Millsap. I have no idea if that could fit our current cap situation or what they'd demand in return but in theory it would be an amazing fit. I think he'd be the perfect complement to Valanciunas.

Yeah, but the hawks would be reluctant to help such a close east rival, right? Local raps fan would love millsap but i cant see ATL doing the Raps any favors.

I don't think players are actually afraid of any of those things though. It comes down to money and quality of the team.

Yup, totally this. And FIT.

Toronto and OKC are perfect examples of how "new" teams can be as dynamic as the legacy crowd. You shape your teams' future - they arent beholden to long retired stars and ancient records. Its cool to be a part of something new.

(Plus Toronto is an insanely great place for a family).

Jarate

Banned
I think Jamal Crwford is coming to the Sixers, I havent seen him linked to any other team, and he just followed Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid on twitter

Two Words

No Durant, no Parsons, no Deng, no Afflalo, no Batum. So is Dallas going to actually pick up a starting SF? It was the weakest part of our roster last season and all we've done so far is lose Parsons.

Top Bottom