• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Jarate

Banned
Who works for the Veritcal aka Woj aka Yahoo sports. His tweet claims it came from "league sources".

Somebody on reddit said that there was a league for noel trade proposal made by a mid level twitter personality yesterday and there's a chance it could just be a rumour starting from that

Still, I don't see League for Noel being a good trade for the Sixers, if you included Korver I might be interested then

Cheebo

Banned
Somebody on reddit said that there was a league for noel trade proposal made by a mid level twitter personality yesterday and there's a chance it could just be a rumour starting from that

Still, I don't see League for Noel being a good trade for the Sixers, if you included Korver I might be interested then

It was from The Vertical league sources. Not a random twitter guy. Random reddit dude is 100% wrong.

The Vertical's sources are impeccable. The best in the league, by far.

Jarate

Banned
Apparently, Sixer's would also add in Covington and Stauskas to the deal. I'd imagine the hawks have to add in a lot more or else Bryan Colangelo really is the stupidest guy on earth

Jarate

Banned
Teague is pretty good I think it's a decent trade.
Teague is 28, and his contract ends after this season

So let's look at this logically

Teague is on the back end of his prime and will probably get a lot worse as the years go on. We are only guaranteed 1 year with him at 8 mil before the cap rises again. He'll be a UFA after this year, in a time where people have money to spend and will probably command over 20 mil a year for most likely 3-4 years. By the time his contract ends, he'll be at the tail end of his career by then. He already diminished since his all-star season, and I cant really see him improving unless he takes a lot of steroids.

Nerlens Noel on the other hand is a 22 year old big man center, who is one of the most versatile defenders in the league. He has the athleticism to switch off on 4 and 3's. Not only that, but hes been one of the best defensive centers in the league his last two years, and is easily capable of averaging over 2 blocks and 2 steals per game. He's also a great dunker, and is able to play really well with a PG who can actually play basketball. His only weakness is his offensive game, which is not necessarily as bad as Okafors bad defense. (Nerlens lack of offensive game does not affect his team nearly as much as Okafor bad defense last year). His contract also ends after next year, but he's a RFA. Although he will most likely command a high price, at least you have the option to match.

Covington is a typical 3 and D player and was probably the second best Offensive sixer last year. He was incredibly efficient as a stretch 4, and is a hard worker. Great player to have on a team with a super team friendly contract. His 3 point shooting needs to hit 40% for him to start on a team, but still, he's got good value.

Stauskas is nothing but a throwaway like a 2nd round pick. I think he can improve next year, and would like for him to stay another year to see if that makes a difference, but his value isn't really anything, and honestly, I wouldn't want to trade him when his value is at its lowest. You might as well keep him on the team for another year to see if he can start hitting open jump shots.

All for Jeff Teague, a guy we all know is past his prime, and plays the deepest position in all of basketball. For what? A year rental before we have to pay him a shit ton of money? Meanwhile we're trading a big everyone and their mother would want on their team at only 22, a typical 3 and D player with a great contract in Covington, and a throwaway in Stauskas. That deal is shit for the Sixer's no matter how you slice it.

The Sixer's shouldn't trade Noel for the sake of trading noel, it doesn't make sense

Jarate

Banned
This just reminds me of when Colangelo traded for Jermaine O'Neal and Shawn Marion. Stopgaps that do nothing but force you to wallow in 25-30 win seasons

Cheebo

Banned
Teague is 28, and his contract ends after this season

So let's look at this logically

Teague is on the back end of his prime and will probably get a lot worse as the years go on. We are only guaranteed 1 year with him at 8 mil before the cap rises again. He'll be a UFA after this year, in a time where people have money to spend and will probably command over 20 mil a year for most likely 3-4 years. By the time his contract ends, he'll be at the tail end of his career by then. He already diminished since his all-star season, and I cant really see him improving unless he takes a lot of steroids.

Nerlens Noel on the other hand is a 22 year old big man center, who is one of the most versatile defenders in the league. He has the athleticism to switch off on 4 and 3's. Not only that, but hes been one of the best defensive centers in the league his last two years, and is easily capable of averaging over 2 blocks and 2 steals per game. He's also a great dunker, and is able to play really well with a PG who can actually play basketball. His only weakness is his offensive game, which is not necessarily as bad as Okafors bad defense. (Nerlens lack of offensive game does not affect his team nearly as much as Okafor bad defense last year). His contract also ends after next year, but he's a RFA. Although he will most likely command a high price, at least you have the option to match.

Covington is a typical 3 and D player and was probably the second best Offensive sixer last year. He was incredibly efficient as a stretch 4, and is a hard worker. Great player to have on a team with a super team friendly contract. His 3 point shooting needs to hit 40% for him to start on a team, but still, he's got good value.

Stauskas is nothing but a throwaway like a 2nd round pick. I think he can improve next year, and would like for him to stay another year to see if that makes a difference, but his value isn't really anything, and honestly, I wouldn't want to trade him when his value is at its lowest. You might as well keep him on the team for another year to see if he can start hitting open jump shots.

All for Jeff Teague, a guy we all know is past his prime, and plays the deepest position in all of basketball. For what? A year rental before we have to pay him a shit ton of money? Meanwhile we're trading a big everyone and their mother would want on their team at only 22, a typical 3 and D player with a great contract in Covington, and a throwaway in Stauskas. That deal is shit for the Sixer's no matter how you slice it.

The Sixer's shouldn't trade Noel for the sake of trading noel, it doesn't make sense

Well its likely happening, The Vertical is never wrong about this stuff. Colangelo is going for win now mode clearly it seems.

Wonder if he has anything else up his sleeve like this, might be able to be in the 8th seed hunt if he gets enough vets like Teague I suppose.

At the very least Sixers are lot more interesting this year. Teague and Simmons?

xHiryu

What are ya expecting of Embiid? I think he'll be sick.

Out of the three 3 centers Philly has Okafor is the most disposable. They're gonna have a frontcourt logjam with Noel, Okafor, Noel, Embiid, Simmons and Saric. I'd say Ingram fits them better. I quite like Okafor especially him being so young, he definitely has time to improve defense which will come as he conditions his body and seeing as how he has a soft touch, a mid ranger jumper could be in his future.

Also for the Bulls brehs (the few that are here) who to draft with the 14th pick?

Jarate

Banned
What are ya expecting of Embiid? I think he'll be sick.

Out of the three 3 centers Philly has Okafor is the most disposable. They're gonna have a frontcourt logjam with Noel, Okafor, Noel, Embiid, Simmons and Saric. I'd say Ingram fits them better. I quite like Okafor especially him being so young, he definitely has time to improve defense which will come as he conditions his body and seeing as how he has a soft touch, a mid ranger jumper could be in his future.

Also for the Bulls brehs (the few that are here) who to draft with the 14th pick?

Embiid looks amazing still in practice, his athleticism is still there, and during all his gime woth the boo, he's apparently been working on his shot like mad. I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up as a three point threat next year, but they'll probably only play him like 20 mpg next year until the middle of the year. If Embiid is healthy, he is still the best big man prospect to come since AF, and I'd argue he has better upside then AD.

Well its likely happening, The Vertical is never wrong about this stuff. Colangelo is going for win now mode clearly it seems.

Wonder if he has anything else up his sleeve like this, might be able to be in the 8th seed hunt if he gets enough vets like Teague I suppose.

At the very least Sixers are lot more interesting this year. Teague and Simmons?

Sham said the deal wasnt imminent and just being discussed, so it isn't 100% going to happen. TeGue better be on the list of players Durant wants to play with

People are saying Celtics really don't like Bender due to unknown factor. They like Chriss and Brown.

Chriss and Brown (especially Chriss) are raw as hell though. I actually really like Brown and think he has a chance to develop as a really good 2 way player. Chriss seems a little further off as he's little more than an athlete at this point. Can't really do any one nba skill reliably well. Both guys seem like the kinds of guys you take in the 7-10 range, not no. 3 overall.

Jarate

Banned
Im starting to really like Murray right now tbh

my big board is

1. Simmons
2. Ingram
3. Bender
4. Murray
5. Hield
6. Ellenson
7. Criss
8. Poetl
9. Valentine
10. Brown

I really also like Deandre Bembry, Furkan Korkmaz, Tyler Ullis, and Timothe Luwawu

We'll have to see how Embiid will actually adapt to the NBA and how he has handled this long injury mentally.

These are always big ifs, but many players, both former and current have been in awe of how good Embiid has shown himself to be. His most recent injury was more of a cautionary surgery rather then another injury, and he'll most likely be on heavy minutes limits when he first starts out. But this kid is absolutely amazingly talented and athletic, and has been shooting like crazy. he's also seemed to have gotten past some of the mental issues and food issues of his rookie season which hurt his comeback a lot. Im not expecting the world out of him this rookie season, but nothing ive heard has said his skills have diminished at all, and neither has his athletic ability. If he's able to stay healthy, he's going to be a monster. Great defensive ability and great offensive ability, and you can really pair him with either center we have at the 4 or 5.

Also, one of the interesting things about the Hawks trade is that Teague was apparently the best catch and shoot 3 point shooter in the league last year. We need a non ball dominant PG (I actually really like TJ McConnel for this) and Teague fits that pretty well considering his stats. I still would be pissed off we're underselling Noel, (ill be even more upset if Covington gets added in as a piece with the worlds best contract) I think winning games next year would be nice, and as long as we dont go ham trading all of our other assets, I can live with just that trade.

Bread

Banned
Murray is going to be a star for my Celtics! Get him, sign Horford, and see what you can trade for. Then maybe next year they can sign a star.

Tom Penny

Murray is going to be a star for my Celtics! Get him, sign Horford, and see what you can trade for. Then maybe next year they can sign a star.

Horford is wack unless KD is coming with him and he isn't. Hortford is only good as a package with another player with Butler being remotely realistic I suppose.

I'll take Teague for Noel straight up. Adding Covington or Stauskus is just icing on the cake.

But screw Teague. He tweeted out that he was injured the whole season which could effect his value.
Will miss seeing him in a Hawks uni tho. He could've been top 5 PG IMO

But in other news, Lil B cursed D'angelo Russel. Good luck Lakers fam

Sandfox

I'll take Teague for Noel straight up. Adding Covington or Stauskus is just icing on the cake.

But screw Teague. He tweeted out that he was injured the whole season which could effect his value.
Will miss seeing him in a Hawks uni tho. He could've been top 5 PG IMO

But in other news, Lil B cursed D'angelo Russel. Good luck Lakers fam
That trade would be a steal for the Hawks and it will be telling if the Sixers actually do it.

Lil B already "lifted" the curse and said that the two of them are cool lol.

That trade would be a steal for the Hawks and it will be telling if the Sixers actually do it.

Yeah I don't see the Sixers doing it unless they're really desperate for a veteran PG. Don't get me wrong, Teague is awesome but for a young talent like Noel? Gimme. Noel won't see the floor much in year 1 tho unless Horford walks. Even then, he'll split minutes with Tiago Splitter (if he isn't traded too).

And aw, I was hoping Lil B would doom more people lol

Jarate

Banned

They're both represented by the same agent, so people are starting to think it was nothing but a smokescreen to raise Teagues value

I'd do Teague for Covington alone tbh, maybe we could throw in one of our late 1sts. Teagues value is pretty low right now and Covington has literally the best contract on earth

Jarate

Banned
Jarate would you trade one of the 2 Philly picks in the 20s for Lou Williams or is that just a garbage trade?

That's a good trade for the Sixer's and the Lakers. Lakers get to tank better. Sixer's get to pretend they're winning to make silver happy

Honestly, the draft is super weak, so those late picks aren't the best. Lou Williams is a decent 6th man though. I personally wouldn't do it because I'm not the biggest Lou Williams fan, but I wouldn't be upset by it.

That's a good trade for the Sixer's and the Lakers. Lakers get to tank better. Sixer's get to pretend they're winning to make silver happy

Honestly, the draft is super weak, so those late picks aren't the best. Lou Williams is a decent 6th man though. I personally wouldn't do it because I'm not the biggest Lou Williams fan, but I wouldn't be upset by it.

I figured Philly could use a vet guard and his contract isn't terrible for a guy that can probably give you 15 ppg off the bench. I'd love for the Lakers to move into the back half of the 1st round and try and get a guy like Cheik Diallo or even Thon Maker.

Jarate

Banned
Like I'm not against Jeff Teague at all either, Jeff Teague is a middling PG in the league, but considering how deep the position is, that's saying he's good.

Id imagine the Hawks would have to add in like a Kent Bazemore sign and trade to do that deal for Covington and Noel, which I didn't hear about getting talked about at all, so I don't know if its possible or not. Bazemore is a better player then Covington right now, but like I said, Covington has the best contract on earth though. Literally the Hinkie Special, so non guaranteed 1 million dollars for I think 2 more years makes Covington value like a late lottery first. Remember, the hawks traded a mid 1st round pick for isiah Thomas or whoever that guys name is

Sandfox

The draft is top weak, but it's fairly deep/strong at the bottom and rookie contracts aren't affected by the rising cap so there's a lot of value to be had with late picks.

So Teague had knee surgery? So much for that trade in the works.

Plus the Lil B cursed D'Angelo Russell. Lakers it is time to move on. Build around Swaggy P.

nick-young-celebrates-missed-3-during-knicks-game.gif

Jarate

Banned
The draft is top weak, but it's fairly deep/strong at the bottom and rookie contracts aren't affected by the rising cap so there's a lot of value to be had with late picks.
Yeah, but Lou will is a quality 6th man

I'd honestly use all my late 1sts on draft and stash players tbh, but that's just me

Like I'm not against Jeff Teague at all either, Jeff Teague is a middling PG in the league, but considering how deep the position is, that's saying he's good.

Id imagine the Hawks would have to add in like a Kent Bazemore sign and trade to do that deal for Covington and Noel, which I didn't hear about getting talked about at all, so I don't know if its possible or not. Bazemore is a better player then Covington right now, but like I said, Covington has the best contract on earth though. Literally the Hinkie Special, so non guaranteed 1 million dollars for I think 2 more years makes Covington value like a late lottery first. Remember, the hawks traded a mid 1st round pick for isiah Thomas or whoever that guys name is

Tim Hardaway Jr.

Sixers would be absorbing a lot of salary if any trade goes thru.

I mean they have 60 mil in cap space

I think the reason why the other players are being added to match Teague's salary because the Hawks can't sign anyone over the cap (but they can trade of course). So in a salary sense, matching up the salaries for the Teague trade would make sense for the Hawks to get more value, salary wise. But I can't see the Sixers doing that to help out the Hawks unless it's one of those "help me and I'll help you" down the line trades.

spyder_ur

Yeah, but Lou will is a quality 6th man

I'd honestly use all my late 1sts on draft and stash players tbh, but that's just me

Yeah, I actually quite like some of the players projected in the 20s and early second round. I think the major tiers happen after Ingram and then the top 6 (basically Bender, Dunn, Hield, Murray, in whatever order). I don't think it's a particularly good year to have a late lottery/mid teens pick.

However, I think in the 20s there are a decent amount of good options, and they are exactly the guys you'd like to target in that range - draft and stash candidate, high upside prospects, or useful combo guards. In particular, Maker, Beasley, Korkmaz, Zimmerman, Zizic, Baldwin, Lavert, Bolomboy, Ulis, D Jackson, Whitehead, Qi, Hernangomez are all interesting prospects in some way or another.

My boy right now is Lowawu from France. Awesome highlight tape.

Bill Simmons shaking it up.

If going to Duke made Chriss a completely different player, sure. Chriss is raw as fuck and currently doesn't have one elite projectable NBA skill aside from athleticism. Not to say he'll be a bust, he's got a ceiling, but this sounds like Bill preemptively talking himself into Chriss incase the Celts take him 3rd.

spyder_ur

If going to Duke made Chriss a completely different player, sure. Chriss is raw as fuck and currently doesn't have one elite projectable NBA skill aside from athleticism. Not to say he'll be a bust, he's got a ceiling, but this sounds like Bill preemptively talking himself into Chriss incase the Celts take him 3rd.

I get his point - we've seen a ton of stars from outside the very top power programs recently in the NBA. But I think you're right on your last sentence; all Celtics fans are going through that right now. I bounce between who I want them to take almost every day. One day I've got a hard on for Hield watching his highlights vs Kansas, the next I hear that Murray made 79 out of 100 3s in a workout, then I watch Bender dunk and shoot over guys 6 inches shorter.

I'm not sure he is that raw though. His shooting numbers are very solid. It's kind of weird that we only tend to use that term to describe athletic players with this physical profile (tall, wiry). I didn't get to watch a ton of Chriss this year though, if at all.

On this point, has anyone ever done an analysis of how going to a basketball powerhouse (or not) affects a prospect being undervalued or overvalued? I'd be interested.

Gigglepoo

I am rooting so hard for Dragan Bender to succeed. He's got the best name in the draft! I hope he drops to the Pacers. We deserve a good Bender after the Jonathon fiasco.

"Jamal Murray hit 79 of 100 3’s in Boston last week. Buddy Hield, per source, hit 85 of 100 in front of Celtics brass today in California." - @GoodmanESPN

God damn it, we're going to end up with Hield aren't we?

Jarate

Banned
I think the Okafor for #3 deal is inevitable, and im gonna be sad when it happens because I already know Okafor is going to average 25 +12 for the rest of his career if he gets traded away.

Top Bottom