• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

I don't think Julius has enough value to get that done. He's very much a work in progress. Even still I wouldn't want to do it if I were the Lakers.

If you had to trade for Jimmy Butler or Boogie who would you want the Lakers to trade for?

Jimmy B isn't carrying the Lakers to a playoff berth in the West. He could in the East because he is easily the best SG in the East.

If you had to trade for Jimmy Butler or Boogie who would you want the Lakers to trade for?

Jimmy B isn't carrying the Lakers to a playoff berth in the West. He could in the East because he is easily the best SG in the East.

Probably Butler. I'm a lot less bullish on DMC than most though.

Id rather just keep out picks and young guys. GSW and OKC are looking like the two best teams in the league and they built their roster by acquiring young talent and letting them grow together. Trading all your assets for a single guy, and one like DMC who hasn't proven shit, seems like a very 2002-ish way to construct a team.

I don't think Kings would take that. I have a hard time believing Joeger took that job without some kind of commitment that the Kings would hold on to their best player, but who knows, they're the Kings.

That said, trading for a coach killer like DMC when you just hired a green as shit 37 year old head coach seems like a stupid move if you are the Lakers. Say no, Mitch. Just take Ingram or Simmons and give Luke a blank slate of young guys. If you are worried about ratings, having a fun, young core even if don't win a lot of games will still energize the fanbase. It's not like DMC + D'Angelo + Harrison Barnes or whoever they can convince to take their cap space is some kind of guaranteed playoff contender.

nillah

Banned
Cousins numbers approved across the board, figure he played more minutes, and statistically Rondo had one of his better seasons mind you everyone was saying he's done--does anyone see the kings splitting these two ^?

jbug617

Banned
Kupchak really interested in Bender?
“I’m not sure there’s as dramatic a cliff as people think between 2 and 3,” Kupchak said in an interview with TNT analyst David Aldridge. “Any way you look at it, we feel we’ll get an excellent player at 2.”

Added Kupchak: “If you look at our depth chart, you can make an argument that we need a player in the frontcourt,” Kupchak said. “We need a big. … I think we’re more set in the backcourt than the frontcourt.”

Apparently Bender had his best game with Kupchak in attendance.

Kupchak really interested in Bender?

Apparently Bender had his best game with Kupchak in attendance.

Never believe a single thing any GM says about a prospect or the draft in general. That being said, if Bender pans out he would be the quintessential modern NBA big. That's a gigantic if though.

SaintR

Anyone read the story Michael Wilbon wrote about African-Americans & Analytics? Interesting read on how he feels analytics isn't something discussed by black people in general in regards to sports and how he feels it might also phase out black writers soon too.

I disagreed with his point and in fact one of my favorite writers Amin Elhassan echoed my thoughts in the article saying " I just don’t believe that one ethnicity is more predisposed to this than another. You realize, of course, that this is the new gateway into the game … into sports?"

Here's the link to the article :
https://theundefeated.com/features/mission-impossible-african-americans-analytics/

Gigglepoo

Never believe a single thing any GM says about a prospect or the draft in general. That being said, if Bender pans out he would be the quintessential modern NBA big. That's a gigantic if though.

I still think Bender is a solid gamble for the Celtics. This might be their best chance of landing a superstar, so even though he'll take a couple years to develop, he could be better long term than trying to tame Boogie.

Rockets hired Mike "Pringles" D'antoni.

Daryl Morey a month ago on the new coach: “I think it’s going to be someone who embodies what we need which is to get our defense stronger.” – via Twitter clutchfans

Rockets hired Mike "Pringles" D'antoni.

Daryl Morey a month ago on the new coach: “I think it’s going to be someone who embodies what we need which is to get our defense stronger.” – via Twitter clutchfans

Great hire. I was beginning to miss seeing all the Pringles references in the NBA threads. So it is not like the defense will get any worse. Only have up to go from here, right? Right?

Anyone read the story Michael Wilbon wrote about African-Americans & Analytics? Interesting read on how he feels analytics isn't something discussed by black people in general in regards to sports and how he feels it might also phase out black writers soon too.

I disagreed with his point and in fact one of my favorite writers Amin Elhassan echoed my thoughts in the article saying " I just don’t believe that one ethnicity is more predisposed to this than another. You realize, of course, that this is the new gateway into the game … into sports?"

Here's the link to the article :
https://theundefeated.com/features/mission-impossible-african-americans-analytics/

I think his article is flawed in the sense that I don't think many people, in day-to-day talks, will drop advanced stats on players.

edit

Also, not to be a conspiracy nut, but I think James Harden was intentionally snubbed an All-NBA spot.

spyder_ur

Seems to be a lot of Buzz around Bender and to a lesser extent Dunn moving up, relatively speaking. I've been a lot less certain that the top 2 is completely set than alot of other people. It could be a lot of smoke, though.

Some Butler to Boston chatter too. I'm not giving the #3 and Bradley up for Butler, though.

jbug617

Banned
76ers are shopping Noel and Okafor
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...lving-jahlil-okafor-nerlens-noel?sf27165101=1

Sources describe Okafor, at this early juncture, as the most likely of the two to be moved in the wake of his rocky rookie season off the floor.

But the Sixers are known to be considering a wide range of possibilities, given the prospect of fellow lottery picks Embiid and Saric finally making their Philadelphia debuts next season to add to the Sixers' deep frontcourt and the well-chronicled concerns about whether Okafor and Noel can play together.

After winning the recent draft lottery, Philadelphia is in the process of choosing whether to take LSU's Ben Simmons or Duke's Brandon Ingram with the first overall pick.

Among the options the Sixers have is trying to trade Okafor or Noel for another high pick in the looming draft to address their backcourt needs or building a package around either one in a trade for veteran talent, either in June or in July after free agency starts.

Reposting this

The Raptors made it farther than most Toronto teams in years. So we have a promising future here in Toronto. We have a some 1st round draft picks in this draft. But I think we need to sign better free agents than Scola. It's looking great in Toronto and I hope we keep getting better. We're still a young franchise.

Thank you for everything 2015-2016 Raptors you will definitely be remembered for being a foundation for things to come.

J2 Cool

Rockets are such a confused team. Can't see how they can be contenders, but D'antoni sure makes then more entertaining. Think they should ship Harden, and start tanking if theyre not above a 6-seed this year though. Just don't much potential growth right now.

Is there any vibe out there about where Howard will go? I feel like it will be Dallas, based on pretty much nothkng. Just a place to fade into obscurity and still be led by Dirk. If he was smart, go back East. Can see him making an impact on say Indiana, next to Paul George.

In the West, with its pace, you have to fall into one of the few perfect systems to make an impact.

Also, what's his value? Would the Spurs rather have LMA or Howard at the same price, right now?

I think Toronto did pretty well

vvFk7mk.jpg

Some blog floating the rumor that Okafor and the complete protection of next years pick (not sure that's even allowed) to the Lakers for the no. 2 might be something that is in play. Not sure I believe it from LA's side but Philly probably makes that trade in a nano second.

Tom Penny

Some blog floating the rumor that Okafor and the complete protection of next years pick (not sure that's even allowed) to the Lakers for the no. 2 might be something that is in play. Not sure I believe it from LA's side but Philly probably makes that trade in a nano second.

Not sure why the Lakers would even entertain that with Simmons or Ingram falling in their lap.

Not sure why the Lakers would even entertain that with Simmons or Ingram falling in their lap.

The thinking is that supposedly the Lakers front office is still super high on Okafor, but I'm with you I'm just not seeing it. They could have had him last year if they were that high on him, and it's not like his stock has sky rocketed after a year in the league.

Lot of FUD this time of year, just like the stuff about Mitch considering Dragan. I don't buy that for a second.

Tom Penny

The thinking is that supposedly the Lakers front office is still super high on Okafor, but I'm with you I'm just not seeing it. They could have had him last year if they were that high on him, and it's not like his stock has sky rocketed after a year in the league.

Lot of FUD this time of year, just like the stuff about Mitch considering Dragan. I don't buy that for a second.

I think the Celtics will try to get him for the 3 though. It's all guessing in a draft anyway but 3-7 is total dice rolls. I don't have any preference other than trading the pick. If not I don't have a clue who they should take. If it's a guard Smart is getting traded or something if it's Bender :(

Jarate

Banned
I'd take that trade in less then a nanosecond

Okafor is super good though, I could see him doing a lot better with a shooter like Russell on his team, although I'd imagine bully ball would be traded because Okafor + Randle would be so awful

Id imagine if this was the case, the Lakers would have 0 confidence in getting Durant, or getting any other good player, and next years draft is supposed to be super good, so another tanking year from them, then the Sixer's would have a lineup that's amazing

Noel/Embiid
Saric/Embiid
Ingram/Covington
Free Agent pick up
Simmons/ish

Simmons can still play every position on the court, and wed have a super solid bench with TJ, Richaun Holmes, Carl Landry, and Ish Smith

All we need is an off the ball shooting guard and I can see us becoming a good team.

I'd honestly trade Noel then Okafor, but Noel is probably the less valuable piece, so I doubt we could get a top 3 pick for him. Wonder if the Lakers don't like Ingram for some reason

Also, Bender is moving up really fast on draft boards, I'be also heard that Buddy Held has been shooting lights out in his workouts, including one where he hit 20-25 shots from 5 feet beyond the NBA 3 point line. I have changed my mind entirely on him, I want him on the Sixers

Jarate

Banned
Also the Lakers might do this if they don't value Ingram as Mich as they value Okafor. As much as everyone hates on Okafor, he still requires a double team against a lot of the league, and improved his free throw shooting dramatically, making it likelier for him to develop a midrange game

I'm super high on Okafor, I think he can become Boogie Cousins in a couple of years. But they style the Sixer's play goes against Okafor, and so does the entire roster. Russell would have a field day with Okafor in the post, and if you guys can nab a small forward like Harrison Barnes, you guys could become a good team in 2-3 years.

Okafor is a Julius Randle who's taller, has better post moves,

Also the Lakers might do this if they don't value Ingram as Mich as they value Okafor. As much as everyone hates on Okafor, he still requires a double team against a lot of the league, and improved his free throw shooting dramatically, making it likelier for him to develop a midrange game

I'm super high on Okafor, I think he can become Boogie Cousins in a couple of years. But they style the Sixer's play goes against Okafor, and so does the entire roster. Russell would have a field day with Okafor in the post, and if you guys can nab a small forward like Harrison Barnes, you guys could become a good team in 2-3 years.

Boogie?

seriously? dude is 6'9. boogie is borderline 7 foot, and Boogie is a decent 3 point shooter overall and an amazing 3 point shooter for a 5.

Well supposedly Ingram was amazing in his interview with LA, and put himself neck and neck with Simmons in their ranking. I just don't see the Lakers going out of their way and give up this much to get a guy they passed on last year, and who's first season just reinforced ably of the questions people had about him prior to the draft, rather than answering them.

Who are we drafting Raptors GAF?

My vote is Henry Ellenson. The analytics love him and so do the scouts. Seems he's should be available at 9 too, although I'll take Murray if he falls of course.

Helps that he fills a need as well, although I'd only consider need in the case of a tie between two otherwise equal prospects.

Personally I want Marquese Chriss. dude looks like the second coming of Blake Griffin, with his jump out the gym athleticism and dude is only 18.

he just needs to cut down on all the fouling.

As for Ellenson, I don't think we want another 5.

and he's way too slow to be an NBA 4.

Jarate

Banned
Boogie?

seriously? dude is 6'9. boogie is borderline 7 foot, and Boogie is a decent 3 point shooter overall and an amazing 3 point shooter for a 5.

Okafor is listed at 6'11" same as boogie

Boogie didnt shoot well until the past two years, in fact, if we look at their rookie stats, they measure up favorably towards okafor.

The key is that Okafor needs to develop his midrange, which I have no doubt he can accomplish. Dude works his tail off, and got a lot better last year in some key areas, mainly Free Throw shooting

Players develop you know, Okafor wont stay the same player at 19 playing for a team without a 3 point shooter or a guard who can play defense. Dude got doubled teamed a lot, and for a rookie, that's fucking insane. I'd take Ingram over him purely due to fit, but I think Okafor is the better prospect.
Personally I want Marquese Chriss. dude looks like the second coming of Blake Griffin, with his jump out the gym athleticism and dude is only 18.

he just needs to cut down on all the fouling.

As for Ellenson, I don't think we want another 5.

and he's way too slow to be an NBA 4.

Ellenson is the best stretch shooter in the draft, and he's going to be good. He did't get a lot of love because his Marquette team was trash outside of him (same situation as Simmons, just far less exposure) which means his value is significantly lower then it should be. I personally have him around 4 or 5 on my p[ersonal big board

My vote is Henry Ellenson. The analytics love him and so do the scouts. Seems he's should be available at 9 too, although I'll take Murray if he falls of course.

Helps that he fills a need as well, although I'd only consider need in the case of a tie between two otherwise equal prospects.

We are drafting Marquese Chriss. Hopefully because we need a PF. That's our dire need in the offseason, get a PF, rebuild the supporting cast for Cojo and Carroll since Scola, JJ and Biyombo will be gone. This probably means Powell might get more minutes too

shira

Derozan replacement
cBj1LTf.png

phanphare

Banned
NBA Rumor Central: Nicolas Batum set to re-sign with Hornets?

A report on the FIBA.com website states the 27-year-old Frenchman, an unrestricted free agent, will re-sign with Charlotte in a time frame that will also benefit France's national team in advance of August's Rio Olympics:

"It is understood that the French player and the Hornets will quickly agree terms on a new deal and that could give France enough time to obtain insurance for Batum and allow him to take part in some of the OQT games."

::exhales loudly::

So Durant sign-and-trade for Griffin...how well would that go?

Considering this next season will be my first with season tickets for the Clips, I'd be fucking ecstatic. Though, unlike some of my friends who are delusional Lakers fans thinking they have a shot at Durant, I know it ain't happening.

Doc is too stupid to pull off such a trade. He's delusional too if he thinks shit would have been different if they were healthy. This core is fucking done. Also, Durant is gonna give OKC another shot after how close they got this year.

Bread

Banned
Gotta re-sign him make sure he don't walk for nothing.
Once the Raps underachieve we can move DeRozan for value to the Lakers who will still be rebuilding because the West is just tough conference to rebuild in.
I'm sure teams will be lining up to trade for an underachieving derozan on a max. Raptors love that treadmill!

Top Bottom