• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/kevin-durant-celtics-list-of-players/306483

In an interview with WEEI on Monday, Butch Stearns of FOX 25 in Boston cited a source who claims Durant’s agent has given the Celtics a list of players they would need to sign in order to have a shot at landing K.D.

“I have this on pretty good authority: The Celtics have sat with his agent and other representatives of Durant,” Stearns said. “The Celtics do know — I don’t know who it is — but they do know who he would prefer to be brought here in a LeBron [James]-Chris Bosh-Dwyane Wade-like way. Because that’s how it works in the NBA. You need to know who the guy or guys that that guy wants, which would be a factor.

“Now, I don’t know if Durant’s told them that. But the Celtics know. They know. They’ve been told what group of guys he would want to come here.”

It would stand to reason that Durant’s representatives have told all interested teams something similar. If Durant ends up leaving Oklahoma City, he won’t be looking to join a team that is years away from playoff contention.

We have already heard reports that teams like the Golden State Warriors and San Antonio Spurs are interested in signing Durant. Can the Celtics compete with those Western Conference powerhouses? As Stearns noted, the advantage they might have is that the East is weaker, and Durant would only have to — in theory — get through LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers to make the Finals.

Over/under on the number of articles we see on what teams will need to do to sign Durant?

Ronin Ray

My dream scenario would be the Spurs getting Durant but I think he is staying in OKC.

I would be extremely happy if the Spurs could sign Mike Conley, Jr. then trade for Nerlens Noel but I am sure other teams have better deals for him

jbug617

Banned
DX has the Celtics taking Chriss at #3. I'm open to Chriss but I would like them to trade down if they want to draft him.

My scenario would be:

Celts Get:
Gallinari
#7 (draft Chriss)

Nuggets Get:
multiple 2nd round picks

So I guess we'll won't get DeRozan. He most likely going to resign with Raptors after this season's playoff run.

George would be nice. Isn't he from Palmdale?

DX has the Celtics taking Chriss at #3. I'm open to Chriss but I would like them to trade down if they want to draft him.

My scenario would be:

Celts Get:
Gallinari
#7 (draft Chriss)

Nuggets Get:
multiple 2nd round picks

I have looked up Chriss and now know who he is but still... Who?

Jarate

Banned
so ive been reading around and the few trades ive heard that had the sixers involved are

Okafor
for
Avery Bradley or Marcus Smart + 3rd Overall pick

Okafor + Lakers Pick
for
#2 over all pick

Another really weird one ive seen is

Rose + a bunch of scrub players and the 14th pick
for
Nerlens Noel

which makes me just SMH at that last deal. I'd be super pissed about that

Bread

Banned
so ive been reading around and the few trades ive heard that had the sixers involved are

Okafor
for

Okafor + Lakers Pick
for
#2 over all pick

for
Nerlens Noel

Lol at the Celtics trade. Okafor ain't that valuable.

Also lol at the Raptors. Masai makes some dumb decisions for a supposedly genius GM.

Okafor
for

Okafor + Lakers Pick
for
#2 over all pick

for
Nerlens Noel

I'm guessing you saw that Raptors trade on the NBA Reddit. Because I saw the exact same thing there.I wouldn't even want Noel

Edit:wait you said Rose not Ross lolol my bad

Jarate

Banned
It's the Bulls since they have Derrick Rose and the 14th pick

didnt see anything about the raptors

Okafor average 17 & 7 and improved a lot of bad aspects if his game and is only 20 on a ridiculously cheap contract. Dude warrants a double team when he has the ball which I cant remember any other rookie commanding this year.

Nerlens Noel is one of the best defensive bigs in the game at 22, his value is also pretty high

Both are pretty top tier center prospects. Especially Okafor.

Lol at the Celtics trade. Okafor ain't that valuable.

Also lol at the Raptors. Masai makes some dumb decisions for a supposedly genius GM.

Dwane Casey is the greatest Raptors coach in history.

I was hoping Raps lost in the first round again so we could actually hire a decent coach.

Tom Penny

Okafor
for

Okafor + Lakers Pick
for
#2 over all pick

for
Nerlens Noel

I think the Celtics would entertain Smart and the 3 but not Bradley. I don't even know what that Lakers offer is supposed to be..

It's the Bulls since they have Derrick Rose and the 14th pick

didnt see anything about the raptors

Okafor average 17 & 7 and improved a lot of bad aspects if his game and is only 20 on a ridiculously cheap contract. Dude warrants a double team when he has the ball which I cant remember any other rookie commanding this year.

Nerlens Noel is one of the best defensive bigs in the game at 22, his value is also pretty high

Both are pretty top tier center prospects. Especially Okafor.

He doesn't have a desirable skill set, at least not for the asking price. His comps are Brook Lopez, Al Jefferson or Enes Kanter, guys who have all been or are available to whoever wants them. There is little evidence that you can build a great team around a big who can't shoot or spread the floor and is a horrible defender and doesn't have the lateral quickness (see Stephen Adams) to really significantly improve in this area. He's a nice player. I'm sure a lot of playoff teams would love to have Brook Lopez or Enes Kanter come in for 10 minute stretches and give them some post scoring, but nobody is going to give up anything of any real value (i.e. a top 5 lottery pick) to get him.

Tom Penny

He doesn't have a desirable skill set, at least not for the asking price. His comps are Brook Lopez, Al Jefferson or Enes Kanter, guys who have all been or are available to whoever wants them. There is little evidence that you can build a great team around a big who can't shoot or spread the floor and is a horrible defender and doesn't have the lateral quickness (see Stephen Adams) to really significantly improve in this area. He's a nice player. I'm sure a lot of playoff teams would love to have Brook Lopez or Enes Kanter come in for 10 minute stretches and give them some post scoring, but nobody is going to give up anything of any real value (i.e. a top 5 lottery pick) to get him.

I believe there is a 100% chance Ainge would trade the #3 pick for Okafor straight up.

I believe there is a 100% chance Ainge would trade the #3 pick for Okafor straight up.

Would have figured Danny was too smart for that. If you want some short term post scoring throw one of your other 7 million firsts at Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and take/develop Dragan at 3.

Dave Joerger, Frank Vogel, Thibs, and JVG come to mind. Hard to say really, all these coaches aiming for the GM/Coach hybrid like positions. Casey doesn't seem interested in that.

But again Casey deserves to be retained, but can't say he is a better coach than any of those guys I mentioned before.

And wow at the Hawks rumor, so Horford leaving the Hawks?

Tom Penny

Would have figured Danny was too smart for that. If you want some short term post scoring throw one of your other 7 million firsts at Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and take/develop Dragan at 3.

Dragan Bender? Guy won't even contribute for years, can't create his own shot, fouls all the time against unathletic Euros and was a poor rebounder. He's also not explosive on offense as far as athleticism goes. All he can do is run the floor and hit spot up 3's. Dude will be lucky to be as good Jonas Jerebko in two years. Okafor would also under their control on a rookie contract...one guy making 24m over 4 years or one guy making 40 over 2 years...

Wait so Cs aren't going to pick Jamal Murray?

If they take a guard it should be Dunn but then you have to move Smart. He will be better than Hield, Smart, and Murray IMO. He will already be able to come in and defend immediately.

Sandfox

This isn't a good trade for the Sixers just looking at the core two players, but I guess it depends on the package.

Jarate

Banned
None of those players have anywhere close to the post moves Okafor has, and also, let's not judge Okafor defense this year based off of having a guard combination of Ish Smith and Nik Stauskas, which I would imagine to be the worst starting backcourt in NBA history when it comes to defense, and maybe just in general.

Okafor actually protected the rim pretty well, his PNR defense wasn't the best, but remember, he was 19, and let's also remember that Big Men usually take a couple of years longer to develop.

Also, I'd like to point out that as a 19 year old he was constantly double teamed, and also even with that issue, his TS% was over 60% after Ish showed up.

Dude improved 2 huge parts of his game last year, especially his free throw %, and he hasn't once complained about the situation in Philly, even though you could tell he wasn't the happiest guys on earth.

If Okafor improves his jump shot, he could easily become Boogie in skill level. You can argue Boogie hasn't won with the Kings, but much like Kevin Love, its not his fault that his team was awful.

I'm open to a Noel for League swap tbh, I really like Teagues game as an off ball PG. I still think Netlens is more valuable, but everyone is horrified of Nerlens contract situation too

Jarate

Banned
also, the teague deal could easily be a smoke screen deal to try and get Teague valued higher since they probably want to play more Schroeder anyway

phanphare

Banned
None of those players have anywhere close to the post moves Okafor has

sorrygirl.0.gif

Dwane Casey is the greatest Raptors coach in history.

I was hoping Raps lost in the first round again so we could actually hire a decent coach.

I know you and I have disagreed about this topic but coaching consistency is also key for a team that used to keep dropping coaches every 2 years.

Better to establish a system and have players develop into it. Its not like TO attracts free agent stars all the time and needs to constantly change systems to match.

Jarate

Banned

how much Okafor did you watch last year bro. His post game is absolutely nuts, can get points off of every single player I saw him go up against. Easily has some of the nicest moves in the leagues inside the post. 62% true shooting once he got a Ish Smith, who's a bench level PG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZihwmQ3PaC8

His main issue last year was his lack of being in shape (makes sense for a 19 year old huge guy like okafor) his defense (which he was fine as a rim protector but struggled off PNR) and his rebounding was suspect. I think all 3 of these issues mostly involved his stamina and his lack of being in NBA shape at 19.

19 Years Old, and already getting double teamed.

how much Okafor did you watch last year bro. His post game is absolutely nuts, can get points off of every single player I saw him go up against. Easily has some of the nicest moves in the leagues inside the post. 62% true shooting once he got a Ish Smith, who's a bench level PG.

His main issue last year was his lack of being in shape (makes sense for a 19 year old huge guy like okafor) his defense (which he was fine as a rim protector but struggled off PNR) and his rebounding was suspect. I think all 3 of these issues mostly involved his stamina and his lack of being in NBA shape at 19.

Who cares about his post game? He's a center that can't shoot from distance and doesn't play good D.

Jarate

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20VGdpFAhCM

Here's Okafor absolutely annihilating KAT on defense, I think he'll project out a lot better, advanced stats for the sixers are hard to gauge just due to how absolutely dreadful their guards were last year.

Like, why are people so down on Okafor? I understand why current Sixers fans don't like him (fit with the scheme isn't this best) but this is the best interior post players to come out of college in a very long time, and most of his deficiencies can be corrected over time if he wants to correct them, it isn't like he's super unathletic (like people make him out to be) he has very deceptive athleticism.

phanphare

Banned

okafor's offense is great, no doubt about it, I was just having a hearty chuckle at the notion that he has more post moves than al jefferson. al on the left block is something else.

Jarate

Banned
Who cares about his post game? He's a center that can't shoot from distance and doesn't play good D.

His rim protection is fine, like I said, and you're acting like a 20 year old can't learn to shoot. It's not like his shot is busted and terrible, in fact, he improved his shot dramatically from college. His only D werakness is the PNR, which I have two issues with these specific stats, the sixers liked to change guys constantly on other teams PNR, and Okafor isnt as versatile as Noel is perse, and can't really guard guards at this stage, and also, I can assure you that it's heard to judge a big man's defense when he has literally the worst defensive backcourt in the history of the game. I don't think you guys understand how bad Nik Stauskas was on defense (or Isiah Canaan, or Ish Smith) the only quality defender in the backcourt was TJ McConnel, who's basically our backup PG for the next three years

He was also a 19 year old with by far the biggest body size out of all the bigs taken (KAT is a little bit "smaller" in shape) And it's not like Okafor can't learn defense either. Okafor also showed a little bit of range near the end of the year, and if he can develop that midrange, his game is going to go to the next level.

Jarate

Banned
okafor's offense is great, no doubt about it, I was just having a hearty chuckle at the notion that he has more post moves than al jefferson. al on the left block is something else.

I only saw kanter and lopez's name lol, yeah, i'd say Okafors post moves are almost at big al's level tbh, at only 19 too!

none of those players even came close to the production Okafor as a rookie had, in fact, Okafor had probably a better season then Boogie had his rookie year.

phanphare

Banned
I only saw kanter and lopez's name lol, yeah, i'd say Okafors post moves are almost at big al's level tbh, at only 19 too!

none of those players even came close to the production Okafor as a rookie had, in fact, Okafor had probably a better season then Boogie had his rookie year.

they definitely have a similar style. okafor's gonna be great, he just needs to be in the league longer and just learn from experience.

this is actually one of the first results on youtube when you search "al jefferson post"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMpFHiXGQ4E

Jarate

Banned
also, looking at the Teague for Noel trade, I saw someone on reddit say that the trade initially possibly came from just some random twitter guy making a hypothetical trade. So, much like every other rumor, I'll take it with a grain of salt (although the reporter who reported it is pretty reliable apparently)

Sixers fans are freaking out about the possibility right now lol. They do not want to trade Noel for Teague

Sandfox

also, looking at the Teague for Noel trade, I saw someone on reddit say that the trade initially possibly came from just some random twitter guy making a hypothetical trade. So, much like every other rumor, I'll take it with a grain of salt (although the reporter who reported it is pretty reliable apparently)

Sixers fans are freaking out about the possibility right now lol. They do not want to trade Noel for Teague
The trade came from Yahoo Sports and it wasn't a hypothetical.

Jarate

Banned
The trade came from Yahoo Sports.

I mean, the Sixer's and hawks have been trying to work out a deal for either Schroeder or Teague for a while. This isn't necessarily new, but the addition of noel is.

And the initial source was Shams Charania

Also, teams love to use trade rumours to boost up value and also try to help each other without it meaning anything.

Nerlens Noel is a lot more valuable then League though.

Top Bottom