• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Sandfox

I think the Okafor for #3 deal is inevitable, and im gonna be sad when it happens because I already know Okafor is going to average 25 +12 for the rest of his career if he gets traded away.

Okafor isn't going to be averaging 12 rebounds.

Sandfox

Okafors rebounding issues aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be. The Sixers rebounded better with him on the court with him off it. He boxes out really well

Okafor has never been a strong rebounder and 12 a game would make him third behind Jordan and Drummond.

spyder_ur

I think the Okafor for #3 deal is inevitable, and im gonna be sad when it happens because I already know Okafor is going to average 25 +12 for the rest of his career if he gets traded away.

I don't think it's inevitable but I definitely like it from the Celtics perspective.

I struggle to understand the rush to trade Okafor (or another Sixers big) right this moment. What's the rush? I get that there may be roster construction issues, but those are long term ones. Embiid and Saric aren't real NBA players at this point.

I also think Okafor is a truly special offensive player. No player with his combination of post moves, size, touch and hands has come into the league since probably Duncan. I get that he might not the the ideal fit for the modern NBA at this moment, but 20 year old big men who average 18 points are very few and far between.

Also if anyone has a decent draft podcast I'm still in the market.

So the TWolves are trying to get Jimmy Butler, willing to part with no5 to do so. That'll be interesting.

I don't see the Bulls doing it tho. I don't think they want to rebuild that bad.

So the TWolves are trying to get Jimmy Butler, willing to part with no5 to do so. That'll be interesting.

I don't see the Bulls doing it tho. I don't think they want to rebuild that bad.

Surely Ainge would be able to beat any offer that the Wolves would realistically do.

jbug617

Banned
Simmons mock

1. 76ers - Simmons
2. LA - Ingram
3. Bos - Chriss
4. Phx - Bender
5. Minn - Dunn
6. NO - Murray
7. Den - Buddy
8. Sac - Screwed

Apparently the Bulls want Wiggins and the 5.

I don't know about Chriss, he feels like as much if not more of a gamble than Bender.

LOOOOOLLLL at the idea of trading Wiggins for Butler

For Chriss, I think the idea is that his athleticism gives him a higher floor than Bender. These playoffs have been all about how long, athletic guys change the game.

I don't get why the Bulls would trade Butler.
Me too. I would have expected them to shop rose around first. Butler is like the one guy thts untradeable in that roster if i were bulls management.

Edit okay read some more posts. Seems teams are the ones offering the bulls.

Bread

Banned
Wiggins and 5 for Butler...is actually a good trade for both sides. Wolves finally get their star wing and become a playoff team, Bulls get a good chance at a quick rebuild. Rose/Jaylen Brown/Wiggins is a pretty nice athletic core.

Me too. I would have expected them to shop rose around first. Butler is like the one guy thts untradeable in that roster if i were bulls management.

Edit okay read some more posts. Seems teams are the ones offering the bulls.

If they're looking to trade Butler then they're definitely looking to trade Rose as well.

spyder_ur

Of course they are looking to trade Rose. Nobody wants him.

I wouldn't say that, but it's a tough situation. Rose means a lot to Chicago, and he only has one more year on his deal. Knicks would be most obvious fit, or Philly.

Who the hell is playing on the US Olympic team?

Out: Westbrook, Curry, Aldridge, Paul, Blake, Anthony Davis, Harden

Likely in: Lillard, Boogie, Butler

I would assume Kawhi, Klay and Draymond will go. I expect LeBron to pull out once the Finals ends, but who knows. Big questions are Durant and Melo. Secretly I hope this opens up a spot for Isaiah.

Cheebo

Banned
Bulls wouldnt settle for that, especially with this draft.

I wouldn't say that, but it's a tough situation. Rose means a lot to Chicago, and he only has one more year on his deal. Knicks would be most obvious fit, or Philly.

I would assume Kawhi, Klay and Draymond will go. I expect LeBron to pull out once the Finals ends, but who knows. Big questions are Durant and Melo. Secretly I hope this opens up a spot for Isaiah.
Both Draymond Green and Andre Drummond said they are 100% in no matter what if they make the roster too.

Tom Penny

there are only two scenarios to want Rose. He's the last piece or your dumb and want to pay him a bunch to retain him after next year. The latter fits the Knicks profile.

xHiryu

Philly loves Kris Dunn. If Philly can get another top 5 pick that is who they draft
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/743043732568715264

Just throwing it out there:

3 way deal

Philly get
3rd Pick

Bulls get
Okafor
Crowder
16th pick
23rd pick

Celtics get
Butler

If the Bulls pull that trade I'll jump out a window, that shit makes no sense. The only trade I'd consider is Wiggins + Dieng + 5th for Butler and with Dieng we wouldn't necessarily need Noah or could be a backup for a free agent big man like Horford or Whiteside.

Rose/Hield/Wiggins/Mirotic(Taj)/Whiteside(Horford). That would be a sick lineup

Seeing some more smoke about Chriss to Boston at 3. Maybe smoke from Danny? Chriss absolutely terrifies me. Maybe he's the next Kemp/Amare, but he could just as easily be the next Chris Wilcox. I think you need a little bit more of a floor when you are taking someone in the top 3.

Bread

Banned
Seeing some more smoke about Chriss to Boston at 3. Maybe smoke from Danny? Chriss absolutely terrifies me. Maybe he's the next Kemp/Amare, but he could just as easily be the next Chris Wilcox. I think you need a little bit more of a floor when you are taking someone in the top 3.
Celtics haven't drafted a super athletic big since with a high pick since...I can't even remember. It's hard to not get excited about what he could turn into, and the Cs have so many valuable picks in the next few years maybe they should just swing for the fences.

spyder_ur

Wiggins + 5 + Dieng is ridiculous asking price. Why is Butler more valuable than Wiggins by himself? Wiggins is 5-6 years younger. No shame in asking for the moon, but that's a ridiculous price. I'm not even sure I want the Celts to give up Bradley + 3 for him.

We're all draft experts here but any 'floor' is imaginary. Just look at the recent history of the #3 picks.

I wouldn't object to Chriss, but they have to let him play if they get him. Weirdly, the Celtics have almost become a little too good too fast to develop some of the young players. I think the upside of winning these last couple years vastly outweighs the downside, but there are cons.

xHiryu

I'm assuming its cause Butler is a two-way All Star and that in of itself holds high value. Wiggins has a higher ceiling for sure but Butler is definite thing seeing as how hes performed the last two years and is entering his prime. Not to forget that Thibs has influence in the Wolves and both he and Butler are boys.

As a Bulls fan I would take Wiggins and the #5 pick cause that would mean we can get younger with good talent but the Wolves shouldn't take that trade at all.

Hitta93

Banned
WIggins for Butler or pair Shabazz or Dieng with the #5 for Butler.

Both of them on the same team won't work, even worse if Rubio starts.

jbug617

Banned
This might be bad C's fans
@Andrew_Perna: Ainge met with Jeff Schwartz in NYC this week, according to a source. Schwartz represents Kevin Love and Harrison Barnes.

I wouldn't mind a move for Love. Not even sure I want to trade #3 for him though.

Please don't give Barnes a max deal.

ClFTBuSUkAAOxp_.jpg

Jarate

Banned
why the fuck do the celtics feel they need another white big man who sucks at interior defense? Isn't Olynyk already Kevin Love but a little worse? Or are they trying to attract big names like Harrison Barnes

If I was the Celts, i'd be pushing hard for Noel. Marcus Smart + future nets pick for Noel would probably get it done considering Colangelo has worked his ass off towards devaluing Nerlens.

why the fuck do the celtics feel they need another white big man who sucks at interior defense? Isn't Olynyk already Kevin Love but a little worse? Or are they trying to attract big names like Harrison Barnes

If I was the Celts, i'd be pushing hard for Noel. Marcus Smart + future nets pick for Noel would probably get it done considering Colangelo has worked his ass off towards devaluing Nerlens.

People seem to think that the 2017 Nets pick has more value than the current Nets pick, I'm not sure Ainge would be willing to part with it just yet unless it's part of a package for an established star.

Jarate

Banned
People seem to think that the 2017 Nets pick has more value than the current Nets pick, I'm not sure Ainge would be willing to part with it just yet unless it's part of a package for an established star.

There's no way in hell that an established #3 pick is more valuable then an unknown pick next year. I get that next years draft will most assuredly be better, but who the hell knows where it will land, what type of injuries all the incoming freshman could get and a whole slew of other stuff. Only reason why someone might view the #3 pick with less value is because there's no good big men prospects this year and that's what the celtics need more then anything. That and a scorer

Like i said, Nerlens to Boston makes so much sense. Nelrens is redundant to Embiid if Embiid comes back, and id much rather have embiid on the court then an offensive liability like Noel. Okafor I think is going to develop a mid range jumper which should help a lot with his viability on the court with other bigs, and his interior defense was actually pretty good last year. And also, tbh, I like the Okafor Simmons pairing a lot more then a Noel Simmons pairing outside of the fast break. Teams that are purely good at fast breaks win regular season games, but once the post season starts, teams actually start giving 100% and the half court game becomes much more important, and Okafor is a monster offensive player in the half court while Noel sucks ass in a half court setting on offense.

But, the Celtics desperately need a defensive interior defender, and Noel is probably the best available one for the next few years outside of Whiteside. He's had 2 seasons now where he's placed in the top 10 defensive years for someone under 22. That's nuts, especially with teams who have had no good defensive back court players since MCW left. And the dude is a committed player, and not some crazy guy like Whiteside.

Even then, a Smart + slew of other stuff would probably be better then what ive seen mentioned. And Honestly, if I was the Celtics, and the sixers asked #3 for Noel, id personally do it for the celtics (let's be honest, the best fit is Jamal Murray who's Devin Booker 2.0 AKA I just shoot 3ss well and dont do anything else, or Buddy Hield. Chriss and Poetl aren't good enough to take with #3) and if you really want a player exactly like Love, pick Ellenson.

Jarate

Banned
The main trades ive seen for Noel have been

Noel for Oladipo + stuff

Noel for Teague (teague just tanked his value since he's shown he wants out after revealing hisknee surgery)

Noel for Rose, Dunleavy and the 14th pick NO NO NO NO

Noels value is low because the league knows Bryan Colangelo has to do something to please ownership, and Colangelo is also a rash decision maker who does stupid trades and signings all the time. Noel is a defensive savant though, he can switch onto basically every player on the court (his athleticism is good enoguh to switch off to PGs)

Okafors value is also a lot lower then it needs to be. Okafor is far and away a better current prospect then anything outside of Simmons, and tbh I like him a lot more then Ingram. Ive dropped off of team ingram after I saw his FT shooting %, which was under 70%, and sorry, I don't want anything to do with a shooter who cant hit at least 80% of his free throws. Okafors + Simmons is also an incredibly nasty offensive back court, Ish Smith allowed Okafor to shoot 62% TS once he showed up, imagine a passer just as good as Ish, but 6'10 and able to get to the rim at will, which Ish was too small to do consistently.

I fully expect an Okafor for #3 pick though, and i'd be upset about that. As much as I love advanced stats, they dont always tell the big picture on players like Okafor. There's no advanced stats for how Okafor can affect a game offensively, constantly needing double teams. He should be a better passer next year if they're able to put shooters around him too. Saric Simmons and Embiid all have the capabilities to hit outside shots (especially Saric, watch out for this kid next year, he's really fucking good) and that's gonna make Okafors life a lot easier rather then depending on Isiaih Canaan, Nick Stauskas and Ish Smith to hit outside shots

Supposedly the Celtics are picking between Jaylen Brown, Kriss Dunn, Marquese Chriss and Jamal Murray. Hield and Bender are out. This probably means the Celtics will pick Hield or Bender.

Bread

Banned
Fuck it, take Chriss. The more I watch on Murray the more I think he doesn't fit the team, even though I do love his scoring abilities. He reminds me of a guard sized Paul Pierce.

Jarate

Banned
Celtics are stupid if they dont take Bender tbh.

Also, Chad Ford recently reported that the sixers cant get a top 5 pick for Okafor because teams are concerned about fit, but I don't tend to believe Chad Ford, as he as the journalistic integrity of a sock, is Danny Ainge's personal sock puppet, and has gone back and edited his own draft big boards in hindsight

Fuck Chad Ford is what im trying to say

Fuck it, take Chriss. The more I watch on Murray the more I think he doesn't fit the team, even though I do love his scoring abilities. He reminds me of a guard sized Paul Pierce.

I like his potential but his completely awful rebounding numbers scare me.

Also, we have a trade!

"Pistons trade Spencer Dinwiddie to Bulls for Cameron Bairstow" - @DanFeldmanNBA

Tom Penny

Celtics are stupid if they dont take Bender tbh.

Also, Chad Ford recently reported that the sixers cant get a top 5 pick for Okafor because teams are concerned about fit, but I don't tend to believe Chad Ford, as he as the journalistic integrity of a sock, is Danny Ainge's personal sock puppet, and has gone back and edited his own draft big boards in hindsight

Fuck Chad Ford is what im trying to say
Nothing impressive from Bender other than running the floor. He will be Jerebko two years from now if he's lucky. I'd rather take fliers on Thon Maker and Qi with their 23 and 31st picks then a 3 on Bender.

Jarate

Banned
Nothing impressive from Bender other than running the floor. He will be Jerebko two years from now if he's lucky. I'd rather take fliers on Thon Maker and Qi with their 23 and 31st picks then a 3 on Bender.

It's not like any other player in the draft is a sure thing at #3, and honestly, putting an elite athlete like Bender into Stevens system might allow him to develop as a really good player considering he's only 18. The Celtics development system has been pretty good. Im not too impressed with any other players after Ingram (ive also fallen really hard on Ingram tbh)

Jarate

Banned
I don't see how any team trades anything highly valuable for Love, especially the Celtics who have a shit ton of players exactly like him

Top Bottom