• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

GxNZKVi.png

Max Barnes lives.

Gigglepoo

Derek Rose is such a bum out. It would have been better if he just retired after blowing out his knee rather than prolong his depressing career.

Jarate

Banned
I mean, the team is still run by Mitch, so the value hasnt decreased at all. You know the Lakers are going to be garbo until hes gone

I mean, the team is still run by Mitch, so the value hasnt decreased at all. You know the Lakers are going to be garbo until hes gone

This is another reason Lou to Phillu for the 24th pick makes sense. Makes the Lakers worse in the short term and increases the value of the lottery pick. Just do it already. I want a shot at Chiek Diallo, Thon Maker, Brice Johnson or Dejounte Murray.

Jarate

Banned
You say that like Mitch isn't one of the most successful GMs in the league.

Anyone who hires Byron Scottt as their coach is not one of the most successful gms

He's only done one thing well and that was the Pau trade, the Bynum trade was technically good for them, but really did nothing for their team

Anyone who hires Byron Scottt as their coach is not one of the most successful gms

He's only done one thing well and that was the Pau trade, the Bynum trade was technically good for them, but really did nothing for their team

Lakers have drafted well and done well in free agency under his call. He's not the problem in LA. He's not perfect, nobody is, but I think he's an above average GM and talent evaluator.

Jarate

Banned
Lakers have drafted well and done well in free agency under his call. He's not the problem in LA.

Ive never been impressed with Kupchak, he found a way to have prime kobe only win 1 chip. He's definately in the category of midrrange NBA GM's.

I mean, it's not nearly as bad as Billy King obviously

Mitch has a tremendous advantage by being in LA but I still think he's done a good job. Not everything has worked out but he always seems to make the right decision.

Ive never been impressed with Kupchak, he found a way to have prime kobe only win 1 chip. He's definately in the category of midrrange NBA GM's.

I mean, it's not nearly as bad as Billy King obviously

You can probably count the number of active GMs with more than one title on one hand. The moves he made during the Lakers contending run with Kobe were largely good, aside from the Nash trade which at the time even made sense.

Jarate

Banned
You can probably count the number of active GMs with more than one title on one hand. The moves he made during the Lakers contending run with Kobe were largely good, aside from the Nash trade which at the time even made sense.

He inherited a prime kobe and shaq, and managed to win 1 title with that. You can give me a lot of excuses, but NBA general managers kind of suck ass. His drafts have been decent, I'll give you that.

Sandfox

He inherited a prime kobe and shaq, and managed to win 1 title with that. You can give me a lot of excuses, but NBA general managers kind of suck ass. His drafts have been decent, I'll give you that.

And then he made moves to get Kobe and Shaq back to the finals before their issues became too much.

A lot of the major moves during his tenure (the Shaq trade, Phil hire, Kobes last contract) are stuff that is taken care of directly by management. I wouldn't put a lot of that in Mitch's lap, good or bad. He's in a unique situation in LA, but a lot of the moves he does make turn out fine. He did a good job of filling out the roster, making solid draft picks. I mean, he's probably not the long term solution in LA, mostly because of his age, but he's been far from the problem during his tenure. I agree with you that most GMs aren't good, but for me that's why with all his warts Mitch is still above average.

Also he won two titles with Kobe.

Yeah, you guys are right, I was hating on him too much.

Eh, I kind of agree with you that for the most part it's a crapshoot. It basically comes down to "Do you have one of the 5 best players in the league or not?" I don't think Mitch is a god or anything, or by any means untouchable.

Pachimari

Are there any good places I can go to read about the absolute basics of basket? Like the rules, positions of players and such?

And where can I buy an LA Lakers jersey? I really have no idea.

jbug617

Banned
Celtics working out Jaylen Brown again. We went from Bender to Murray to Chriss and now Brown. Watch we end up with Dunn.

Jarate

Banned
Are there any good places I can go to read about the absolute basics of basket? Like the rules, positions of players and such?

I'll write something when I get home about some basics

Jarate

Banned
#Bismax

Alright, so for basketball, I'll start with the very basics

D4yXTLW.gif

This is the NBA Basketball Court

Your goal in basketball is to shoot a basketball through the hoop. You have 3 options for scoring, scoring a 2 point shot is the one you're going to see the most. See that giant half ellipse that extend all the way around the two team baskets? any shot within that area is worth 2 points. The other main way too score while in possession of the ball is too shoot a 3 point shot, which is any made shot beyond the "arc" as it's called. You can also score a single point on a "free throw" which you get if you are fouled either in the act of shooting,or if the other team fouled while in the "penalty" as you are only allowed a certain amount of fouls per quarter. (You are allowed to foul a team 4 times in a quarter before going into the penalty) A free throw consists of the player standing at the "free throw line" which is the diameter of the red circle. He sits there unguarded and shoots the ball, this shot is worth only 1 point. There are a few possible foul shots that occur. The main one you'll see is the foul of a shooting player. The amount of free throws you'll get depends on where you shoot the ball. A 2 point shot will have 2 free throws, and a 3 point shot will have 3 free throws. If a team has the the other team in the penalty, and they get fouled not shooting the ball, they get an automatic 2 shots. You will also sometimes see free throws being shot due to things called Technical Fouls and Flagrant Fouls, which I'll get into later. Those are the ways too score in basketball. In terms of strategy, you'll see 2 teams with generally opposite approaches to how they shoot on Sunday nights game. The Warriors are really good at shooting 3 point shots, while the Cavs (who are also good at 3s) are better at inside shots and "midrange" shots. Generally anything inside the large rectangle underneath the hoop is called "the paint" and there are a few rules to get into later, but that's considered an inside shot, while anything inside the 3 point line, and outside "the paint" is considered to be a "mid-range" game.

The next step is the positions for basketball, and this is bound to change in the future as many teams are going for what's called "positionless basketball." But dont worry about that right now. There are 5 starting players on an NBA team which consists of the Center, Power Forward, Small Forward, Shooting Guard, and Point Guard. Generally, your forwards and centers will be taller then your guards. The Center is generally the tallest player on the court, as this is where you'll find the 7 footers. This guy is generally inside the paint the whole game. He is your huge guy who you want to block shots, and score inside the post. You'll find in Sundays NBA finals game two teams that barely run their centers, unless you call Draymond Green a center (which he technically is, but he doesn't play like a standard one.) The two "standard" Centers for both teams are Timofey Mozgov for the Cavs, and Andrew Bogut for the Warriors. They both generally p[lay about 15-20 minutes per game, although in all likelihood, Andrew Bogut will not play in Sundays game. Your next position is the Power Forward, who also is a big guy who generally plays inside. What seperates him from the center is that he is generally shorter, and can also hit a mid-range shot up to a 3 point shot. He has a little bit more diversity in his game then a Center generally does, but is not as "big" as a center usually is. The standard power forwards you'll see on Sundays game are Kevin Love for the Cavaliers, and Draymond Green for the Warriors. Both are tall guys who are able to hit outside shots. The next position is Small Forward who is generally your most versatile position on the court. This guys is still fairly tall, but not as tall as the other two "big men" but what he lacks in size, he more then makes up for in diversity. The small forward is generally a jack of all trades, he can play outside or inside and can generally defend both guards and other forwards. He also plays both inside and outside depending on what that players wants to do. The Small Forwards for both teams are Lebron James for the Cavaliers, and Harrison Barnes for the Warriors. Please watch Lebron James on Sunday, as he is considered to be at the very least, a top 2-3 player in the league and was at one point the very obvious choice for best player in the league. Also, if you take part in any online discussion, he is one of the most polarizing players around. Next you have the 2 guard positions. The guards generally play an outside game and are generally your shortest players. They are also generally your primary ball handlers outside of rare situations like the Pacers and Cavaliers who use other players be the main ballhandler on the court. The Shooting Guard position is basically your "off the ball guard" he'll generally run along the perimeter, and is looking to catch shots to hit 3 pointers. In tomorrows game you have Klay Thompson, who many conisder to be a top 10 player in the league, playing for the Warriors, and JR Smith, who would need an entire post to describe, for the Cavaliers. Last, is the Point Guard, which is generally your primary ballhandler up and down the court. Although he is the shortest, he is generally the fastest player on the court, the best passer on the court, and also the best "ball handler" on the court. (ball handling refers to a persons dribbling abilitie) The point guard is, at least for a lot of teams, the most important player on the court, as he's the one that generally passes the ball and sets up offensive plays. Both teams on Sunday have 2 very good point guards, The warriors have Steph Curry, the MVP of the league and considered by many to be the best player in the league. Steph Curry is not the best passer in the world, but he is the best shooter in the world. Watch the shots this guy takes and makes, it's something special to behold. On the Cavaliers, you have Kyrie Irving, who's more of a prototypical point guard. He is incredibly fast, has some of the best dribbling and passing abilities in the league, and can also hit a shot. Although generally most teams will run these 5 players, recently there's been a dramatic shift in the NBA towards "small ball" which is something the Warriors have been using for the past 2 years. Small Ball basically has you play with 1 huge guy protecting the paint, and a bunch of smaller guys running around and trying to shoot 3 pointers. The goal with small ball is not to go inside that much, and take advantage of your better speed and shooting ability to get more outside shots. There's already a few strategies in place to stop this, but the idea has taken over the NBA in the past year. Just be aware that another big thing coming up in basketball strategy is "position less" basketball where you just kind of line up your 5 best players on the court. This is a strategy you generally see employed by teams who have very versatile players, players who can guard and defend any position on the court. Look for teams like the Bucks and Sixers to kind of use this strategy in the future.

I'll continue with my next post about some of the rules and such, but now you at least know how players score and which "positions" players play. ive also tried to explain some of the buzz words announcers will use. It's kind of hard to follow the game sometimes when people are using terms throughout the game, but once you know them, it then adds a little flavor to the broadcasts.

Pachimari

You can also score a single point on a "free throw" which you get if you are fouled either in the act of shooting,or if the other team fouled while in the "penalty" as you are only allowed a certain amount of fouls per quarter. (You are allowed to foul a team 4 times in a quarter before going into the penalty) A free throw consists of the player standing at the "free throw line" which is the diameter of the red circle. He sits there unguarded and shoots the ball, this shot is worth only 1 point. There are a few possible foul shots that occur. The main one you'll see is the foul of a shooting player. The amount of free throws you'll get depends on where you shoot the ball. A 2 point shot will have 2 free throws, and a 3 point shot will have 3 free throws. If a team has the the other team in the penalty, and they get fouled not shooting the ball, they get an automatic 2 shots. You will also sometimes see free throws being shot due to things called Technical Fouls and Flagrant Fouls, which I'll get into later. Those are the ways too score in basketball. In terms of strategy, you'll see 2 teams with generally opposite approaches to how they shoot on Sunday nights game. The Warriors are really good at shooting 3 point shots, while the Cavs (who are also good at 3s) are better at inside shots and "midrange" shots. Generally anything inside the large rectangle underneath the hoop is called "the paint" and there are a few rules to get into later, but that's considered an inside shot, while anything inside the 3 point line, and outside "the paint" is considered to be a "mid-range" game.

Okay, let me see if I understood this correctly.

If I have fouled the other team 4 times, I will be in the penalty, which means, that if I foul the other team no matter where and how, they'll get an automatic 2 shots at free throw?

Reading through your entire post, thank you very much!

Don't mean to offend, but the formatting was killing me

#Bismax

Alright, so for basketball, I'll start with the very basics

D4yXTLW.gif

Your goal in basketball is to shoot a basketball through the hoop. You have 3 options for scoring:

1) Scoring a 2 point shot is the one you're going to see the most. See that giant half ellipse that extend all the way around the two team baskets? any shot within that area is worth 2 points.

2) The other main way too score while in possession of the ball is too shoot a 3 point shot, which is any made shot beyond the "arc" as it's called.

3) You can also score a single point on a "free throw" which you get if you are fouled either in the act of shooting,or if the other team fouled while in the "penalty" as you are only allowed a certain amount of fouls per quarter. (You are allowed to foul a team 4 times in a quarter before going into the penalty)

A free throw consists of the player standing at the "free throw line" which is the diameter of the red circle. He sits there unguarded and shoots the ball, this shot is worth only 1 point. There are a few possible foul shots that occur. The main one you'll see is the foul of a shooting player. The amount of free throws you'll get depends on where you shoot the ball: a 2 point shot will have 2 free throws, and a 3 point shot will have 3 free throws. If a team has the the other team in the penalty, and they get fouled not shooting the ball, they get an automatic 2 shots.

You will also sometimes see free throws being shot due to things called Technical Fouls and Flagrant Fouls, which I'll get into later. Those are the ways to score in basketball. In terms of strategy, you'll see 2 teams with generally opposite approaches to how they shoot on Sunday nights game.

The Warriors are really good at shooting 3 point shots, while the Cavs (who are also good at 3s) are better at inside shots and "midrange" shots. Generally anything inside the large rectangle underneath the hoop is called "the paint" and there are a few rules to get into later, but that's considered an inside shot, while anything inside the 3 point line, and outside "the paint" is considered to be a "mid-range" game.

The next step is the positions for basketball, and this is bound to change in the future as many teams are going for what's called "positionless basketball." But dont worry about that right now. There are 5 starting players on an NBA team:

1. Center (5) –
The Center is generally the tallest player on the court, as this is where you'll find the 7 footers. This guy is generally inside the paint the whole game. He is your huge guy who you want to block shots, and score inside the post. You'll find in Sundays NBA finals game two teams that barely run their centers, unless you call Draymond Green a center (which he technically is, but he doesn't play like a standard one.) The two "standard" Centers for both teams are Timofey Mozgov for the Cavs, and Andrew Bogut for the Warriors. They both generally p[lay about 15-20 minutes per game, although in all likelihood, Andrew Bogut will not play in Sundays game.

2. Power Forward (4) –
Your next position is the Power Forward, who also is a big guy who generally plays inside. What seperates him from the center is that he is generally shorter, and can also hit a mid-range shot up to a 3 point shot. He has a little bit more diversity in his game then a Center generally does, but is not as "big" as a center usually is. The standard power forwards you'll see on Sundays game are Kevin Love for the Cavaliers, and Draymond Green for the Warriors. Both are tall guys who are able to hit outside shots

3. Small Forward (3) –
The next position is Small Forward who is generally your most versatile position on the court. This guys is still fairly tall, but not as tall as the other two "big men" but what he lacks in size, he more then makes up for in diversity. The small forward is generally a jack of all trades, he can play outside or inside and can generally defend both guards and other forwards. He also plays both inside and outside depending on what that players wants to do. The Small Forwards for both teams are Lebron James for the Cavaliers, and Harrison Barnes for the Warriors. Please watch Lebron James on Sunday, as he is considered to be at the very least, a top 2-3 player in the league and was at one point the very obvious choice for best player in the league. Also, if you take part in any online discussion, he is one of the most polarizing players around.

4. Shooting Guard (2) –
Next you have the 2 guard positions. The guards generally play an outside game and are generally your shortest players. They are also generally your primary ball handlers outside of rare situations like the Pacers and Cavaliers who use other players be the main ballhandler on the court.

The Shooting Guard position is basically your "off the ball guard" he'll generally run along the perimeter, and is looking to catch shots to hit 3 pointers. In tomorrows game you have Klay Thompson, who many conisder to be a top 10 player in the league, playing for the Warriors, and JR Smith, who would need an entire post to describe, for the Cavaliers.

5. Point Guard (1) -
Last, is the Point Guard, which is generally your primary ballhandler up and down the court. Although he is the shortest, he is generally the fastest player on the court, the best passer on the court, and also the best "ball handler" on the court. (ball handling refers to a persons dribbling abilitie) The point guard is, at least for a lot of teams, the most important player on the court, as he's the one that generally passes the ball and sets up offensive plays. Both teams on Sunday have 2 very good point guards, The warriors have Steph Curry, the MVP of the league and considered by many to be the best player in the league. Steph Curry is not the best passer in the world, but he is the best shooter in the world. Watch the shots this guy takes and makes, it's something special to behold. On the Cavaliers, you have Kyrie Irving, who's more of a prototypical point guard. He is incredibly fast, has some of the best dribbling and passing abilities in the league, and can also hit a shot.

Although generally most teams will run these 5 players, recently there's been a dramatic shift in the NBA towards "small ball" which is something the Warriors have been using for the past 2 years. Small Ball basically has you play with 1 huge guy protecting the paint, and a bunch of smaller guys running around and trying to shoot 3 pointers. The goal with small ball is not to go inside that much, and take advantage of your better speed and shooting ability to get more outside shots. There's already a few strategies in place to stop this, but the idea has taken over the NBA in the past year.
Just be aware that another big thing coming up in basketball strategy is "position less" basketball where you just kind of line up your 5 best players on the court. This is a strategy you generally see employed by teams who have very versatile players, players who can guard and defend any position on the court. Look for teams like the Bucks and Sixers to kind of use this strategy in the future.

I'll continue with my next post about some of the rules and such, but now you at least know how players score and which "positions" players play. ive also tried to explain some of the buzz words announcers will use. It's kind of hard to follow the game sometimes when people are using terms throughout the game, but once you know them, it then adds a little flavor to the broadcasts.

The numbers in parentheses are what those positions are sometiems referred to (you hear a really good center being called one of the best "5"s in the league, for example)

Jarate

Banned
Alright, so now let's talk about rules for the game now. The way you move the ball up court is by dribbling the ball. Dribbling is them bouncing the ball up and down while moving by "patting" the ball down and up. You cannot move very much when you are "holding" the ball, and there are specific rules with regards to this that i'll get into very soon, just know, that players dribble up and down the court when they have the ball. There's a few rules that go into this. The first i'll get into is the general rule of, once you grab "hold" of the ball after dribbling, you can no longer dribble the ball again. This is a term commonly known as a "double dribble" and is against the rules. Imagine if you will a player is thrown the ball. You are thus only allowed 1 dribble opportunity before either passing or shooting the basketball. A double dribble is a penalty, which will result in a turnover, which is when the team gives the ball up to the other team without shooting the ball. The biggest one you'll see called is the "Travel" as you are only allowed 2-3 steps once you are in "possession" of the ball, IE you are not dribbling. This is hardly ever called in the NBA because of reasons, but just be aware that there are generally two type of travel calls you'll see. The first is the player simply taking too many steps while holding onto the ball, this is very common in the game. The other, which is the foundation of the rule, is a player moving his "pivot" foot and stepping with that. You'll see a lot of guys, especially in the "paint" take a lot more steps then the 2 allowed, and that's because you are allowed to theoretically take as many steps as you want, as long as your pivot leg doesnt move. You can also take a jump whenever you want to during this time, but if you land while still holding the ball, you'll also be called for travelling. Another call you'll see, but rarely, is the "carrying" rule. This is when a player basically dribbles the ball, and accidently puts his palm facing the sky, thus gaining possession of the basketball and then afterwards starting to dribble once again. Like I said, it's mostly something non pros do, so you'll hardly see it, but it'll show up every now and again. Also, be aware that they hardly call travelling in the NBA, unless the play is very obvious, or the player changes his pivot foot. You may ask why ther NBA doesnt call traveling a lot more, and the answer is that it's just the way the game plays. Also understand that refs are watching literally the most freakishly huge and fast human beings run around in a very small court. It's tough call to make tbh.

The next penalties you'll see are the "foul" and this is something you'll see a whole shit ton of. Just be aware that fouls will be called against your favorite team that wont be fouls, and that superstars generally have a lot of fouls called against them, and also don't get foul calls all that often. There are many different type of fouls you'll see, but i'll try to keep it simple, since it's kind of a judgement call on what's a foul. Just remember, you will be salty about your team getting calls called against them, and there will be games where your team will get a billion fouls called against them. It's frustrating, and causes a lot of casual fans to be upset, and call the game "rigged" but I actually think the NBA does a really good job with these calls, as theyve tried to make it less "judgement" call ish. There are generally 5 types of fouls you'll see generally in Basketball, i'll get into those soon, but keep 2 things in mind. The first is that a player is only allowed to have 5 fouls in a game. If he gets a 6th foul, he is removed from the game. This happens fairly frequently in games, but some players are better then others at it. The other thing to keep in mind, is generally the offensive player gets the benefit of the doubt on every single call. There are a lot of players who take advantage of this rule, but it is what it is. Alright, so now that's out of the way, a foul is basically a play that gets too physical for basketball. It's generally called when a player actively inhibits another player from getting to where they want to go. There are legal ways to do this, which I'll have to explain later. The main 5 fouls called are the shooting foul, the blocking foul, the reach in foul, and the offensive foul. The shooting foul is called when a defender tries to push with his body a shooting player to inhibit them from making a shot. You'll see this a lot when players go into the paint for a layup. Since this is happening on the shot, the other team is rewarded an amount of free throws depending on where the shot takes place. Another time you'll see a shooting foul is when a player is trying to block a shot and accidently hits the shooting players elbow or body. The next foul is the blocking foul, which is generally when a defender "blocks" the person with the ball from going to where he wants to go. This isn't in the act of shooting generally so it wont lead to free throws unless the team is in the penalty. The next foul is the "reach in" foul, this is generally called when a player tries to go for a steal on a dribbling basketball player, and accidently hits the ballhandlers body, or his arms, but it can also be called if the defender tries to force himself through a ballhandler. Generally, if you are dribbling the ball far away from the opposing player, and the opposing player tries to get a steal, they'll call that a reach in foul. This kind of give a nice security blanket for not that good of ballhandlers, like centers and power forwards, who can thuse use their size to keep players away from the ball. The next foul you'll see is the Charging foul, and this is called on the offensive team. An offensive player is not allowed to go through a player who has established position on the court, outside of a very specific place. So thus, this is generally only called if the player is standing completely still. This is important as many teams will try to get charges called on the other team by trying to bait fast players to go inside and run into a guy. Also, there are some other offensive fouls that are called, like when an offensive player pushes someone away with his arm, or rams into someone with his shoulder. Also, be aware that there is a small half circle underneath the basket which is called the "restricted zone." This is a place that a player cannot get a charging foul called on them, so you're allowed to, as the offesnive player, smash into a guy who is inside the "restricted zone". The last foul that is generally called is the "Over the Back Foul" which takes place on a rebound, which is when a player misses a shot. The over the Back foul is called when a player tries to jump over someone who has better position then them, to try and get a rebound. It's a pretty self explanatory call. Those are your standard fouls in the game, but there are 2 other fouls that are called. The Technical Foul and the Flagrant Foul. These are very simple to understand. A Technical Foul is called on a player or coach who is too verbal to either the referee or another player. Trash talking is super important to the NBA and Basketball as a sport, but there are certain limits, and generally, if a player gets super heated and upset at a ref, they'll call a technical foul on him. The flagrant foul is basically when a player is actively trying to rough up an opposing player. This is mostly called though with a more recent rule change where a player who gets hit in the head by an elbow or a hand, or a foul that involves not going for the ball at all and just trying to foul. Both of these result in free throws and possession of the ball. It's the worst foul you can get, and if you get a certain amount of flagrant calls on you, you will be suspended during the year.

Next, we'll go over some stats that are shown throughout the game. Points is obvious, it's how many points a player has scored throughout the game. The best players in the world generally average around 25 points per game. The next one is the rebound, in which there are two types of rebounds. A rebound is when a player misses a shot, and another player grabs the ball after said shot. The two types of rebounds are the defensive rebound, which is when the defending team grabs a rebound, and thus the possession changes, or the offensive rebound, which is when the team that shot the ball gets the rebound. The defensive rebound is by far the most common type of rebound, and this is due to the way players play on the court. But just be aware, that "boxing out" is very important for a rebound, that's getting into a stance in which you cover a lot of space to stop another player from rebounding the ball from behind due to the over the back rules. The forwards and centers are generally the guys who get these stats, and generally, the best players in the world average about 10 of these a game. The assist is kind of a weird stat, since even im confused sometimes when a player gets an assist or not. The basic premise of an assist is that you pass the ball to a player who thus scores because of that pass. Generally, your point guard and shooting guards will be your best passers on the team, but some teams, like the cavs, use their forwards to pass the ball heavily. Those are kind of the 3 main stats used in the game. Just also be aware about the terms "double double" and "triple double" this is when a player scores at least 10 of something in either 2 of those categories, or 3 of those categories. Lebron James is the most likely player on both sides to get a "triple double" and big men are usually the guys who get "double doubles." The other stats are more defensive in nature. These are the "blocks" and Steals" stats. A block is when a player is going to shoot the ball but gets the ball smacked out of his hand. A steal wi when a player smacks the ball out of a players hand when they are not trying to go for a shot. Generally, your centers are good at blocks, and your guards are good at steals. There's a whole slew of advanced statistics, stuff like PER, TS%, RPM, and other such stats you may see, but they are a little difficult to understand for a newbie.

The last thing I wanted to mention was some very basic strategies used in basketball. There's generally 2 ways to play defense, and that's called "man on man" and "zone" defenses. The man on man defense is pretty simple to understand and is the most commonly used defensive strategy used in the NBA by far. It's when players cover specific other players at all times. The other type of defensive strategy is the "zone". this differs from man to man as it's done where players have specific areas of the court they hover around and defend around. This is hardly used in the NBA, because it's easy to exploit, but you'll see it a lot in the NCAA game. The issue with Zone defense is that it's very easy to get open outside shots against it. This isnt an issue in a league where players cant hit open shots well, but in the NBA, playerts can generally hit open shots consistently. On the offensive end, there's a whole slew of strategies used, although mostly, the diversity lies outside of the NBA in different leagues, like the NCAA. Mostly, the most commonly used tactic for offensive teams is the "Pick and Roll". Remember those foul rules earlier about a defensive guy who's not moving? Well, the offense has the same ability. The pick and roll is all about what's called the "screen" which involves standing next to a defensive player in a minimal position, standing still, and hoping said player runs into you, allowing who ever has the ball to get some open space. There are specific rules for this though, the offensive player has to be "set" AKA not moving while setting a screen. The moving screen is theoretically a foul on one team, but it's also hardly called in the NBA for some reason. The warriors employ a heavy amount of pick and roll sets. Also, be ware of what the defense does to counteract this. They can do something called "switching" which involves the person who was guarding the screener switching to the primary ballhandler. Thus, a lot of the times, the center will set screens, not only because he's the biggest guy on the court, but also, if the other team switches to a center on PG setup, the PG now suddenly has a huge slow guy as opposed to a fast defender. Also, be aware, that sometimes, teams will setup a pick and roll looking play, only to have the guy setting the screen quickly run to the basket for an easy score.

Every game starts with a jump ball in the beginning that determines possession. A team who gains possession of the jump ball will then get the ball in the 4th quarter to start as well, while the team who lost the tip ball will get the ball starting the 2nd and 3rd quarters. There's also a rule for jump balls to occur during the game. If two players both have possession of the ball at the same time, they generally call a jump ball.

There's only so much simple stuff I can explain without getting too technical, and maybe some others in here who have played a lot more then I have (im a fat white dude who can barely jump, so ive never played any type of league basketball before) but those are some of the very basic rules. I always tell this too people on here who are fans of the sport, but go play the basketball video games they have out. I'd suggest the NBA 2K games, as they are actually fairly well made video games. You'll start to understand how offensive plays work, and more detailed and deep basketball strategy.

Also, im not sure where you live, but there are loads of places to get NBA jerseys. I think the best place to find a Lakers jersey would be probably on Ebay or something, as they'll be a lot cheaper then your standard "game" jersey. Also be aware that basketball jerseys kind of look ugly when you''re wearing them in public. Most NBA fans will show off their pride with a simple t-shirt, or a hat. Hats especially, which are very large in urban and black environments, are really cool looking a lot of the times. Also, the flat brim is something you need to keep. Here's a place to buy a cheap hat, but also, there are so many other places and colors, and options you havem don't be afraid to look at all your options.

http://www.eastbay.com/product/mode...dO6YU5zJSlq429JN7h9Fk0JTNYIzeygfJYaAueC8P8HAQ

http://store.nba.com/Los_Angeles_Lakers_Hats

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...s+Jerseyds.TRS0&_nkw=Lakers+Jerseyds&_sacat=0

Just be careful buying second hand jerseys, as most of them are chinese made and cheap. But, there's also a level of awesomeness to those cheap knockoff jerseys that people will respect.

Also, I don't know what country you are from, but in most places nowadays there's a very active international scene for Basketball. Europe and Asia have had the sports boom in popularity over the years, and although the players arent as good as the NBA players, they are stilll very good basketball players. Also, if you're a Lakers fan, you gotta own a Kobe shirt or jersey somewhere. I dont think ive ever seen a Lakers fan who didnt have a Kobe item in their wardrobe.

Jarate

Banned

The numbers in parentheses are what those positions are sometiems referred to (you hear a really good center being called one of the best "5"s in the league, for example)

np bro, writing is not my forte' and im a very unorganized writer as well lol. Any type of help is appreciated

If I have fouled the other team 4 times, I will be in the penalty, which means, that if I foul the other team no matter where and how, they'll get an automatic 2 shots at free throw?

So you have 4 fouls to give per quarter. So, let's just say Team A has the ball and Team B is on defense with 4 fouls, and Team B fouls Team A, then Team A goes to the foul line for two shots automatically. I cant remember if this is the case on offensive fouls, or if it's just a change of possession.

I also forgot to mention that if a player gets fouled in the act of shooting and makes the basket, the basket still counts, and the player will have a chance to shoot what's generally called an "And-1" You get to shoot a single free throw afterwards

Also, another thing that will get mentioned occasionally is the "hack an (players name)" foul. There are players in the league that are so bad at free throws, that you will intentionally foul them to put them on the free throw line. A lot of people hate this because it's super boring to watch.

Also another thing to mention is the intentional foul, which is generally done near the end of the game. Generally, if a team is down with little time left, they will foul players on purpose to save them time, hope the other team misses their free throws, and then try to get a shot. This is also boring as hell to watch

Jarate

Banned

I also, almost forgot about the shot clock. When you gain possession of the ball, you have a set time where the ball needs to hit the rim. In the NBA, it's a 24 seconds shot clock. So thuis, if the team doesn't shoot within those 24 seconds, they turn the ball over. In other leagues, it's different though.

Also, worth mentioning is goal tending, which is a way too stop super tall guys from just blocking everything. A goal tend is called on two occasions, when the players blocks a shot that is either going down from its shot arc, or if the ball hits the backboard and is then blocked. A goaltending results in an automatic basket for the team that shot the ball. It's also technically goal tending if you mess with the rim, or backboard when the ball is near it. You cant just hang ounto the rim so the ball takes awkards angles off of it being bent

Bread

Banned

i'll tell you everything you need to know if you don't root for the lakers

Jarate

Banned
Supposedly Jaylen Brown is their guy but Dunn has everything they look for in a point guard, which I assume means he can't shoot.

"5. Point Guard (1)"

Yeah, Dunn can't shoot worth a lick

I still think you guys are taking either Bender or Chriss. You guys don't need any other guards on your team tbh

Pachimari

The next step is the positions for basketball, and this is bound to change in the future as many teams are going for what's called "positionless basketball." But dont worry about that right now. There are 5 starting players on an NBA team which consists of the Center, Power Forward, Small Forward, Shooting Guard, and Point Guard. Generally, your forwards and centers will be taller then your guards. The Center is generally the tallest player on the court, as this is where you'll find the 7 footers. This guy is generally inside the paint the whole game. He is your huge guy who you want to block shots, and score inside the post. You'll find in Sundays NBA finals game two teams that barely run their centers, unless you call Draymond Green a center (which he technically is, but he doesn't play like a standard one.) The two "standard" Centers for both teams are Timofey Mozgov for the Cavs, and Andrew Bogut for the Warriors. They both generally p[lay about 15-20 minutes per game, although in all likelihood, Andrew Bogut will not play in Sundays game. Your next position is the Power Forward, who also is a big guy who generally plays inside. What seperates him from the center is that he is generally shorter, and can also hit a mid-range shot up to a 3 point shot. He has a little bit more diversity in his game then a Center generally does, but is not as "big" as a center usually is. The standard power forwards you'll see on Sundays game are Kevin Love for the Cavaliers, and Draymond Green for the Warriors. Both are tall guys who are able to hit outside shots. The next position is Small Forward who is generally your most versatile position on the court. This guys is still fairly tall, but not as tall as the other two "big men" but what he lacks in size, he more then makes up for in diversity. The small forward is generally a jack of all trades, he can play outside or inside and can generally defend both guards and other forwards. He also plays both inside and outside depending on what that players wants to do. The Small Forwards for both teams are Lebron James for the Cavaliers, and Harrison Barnes for the Warriors. Please watch Lebron James on Sunday, as he is considered to be at the very least, a top 2-3 player in the league and was at one point the very obvious choice for best player in the league. Also, if you take part in any online discussion, he is one of the most polarizing players around. Next you have the 2 guard positions. The guards generally play an outside game and are generally your shortest players. They are also generally your primary ball handlers outside of rare situations like the Pacers and Cavaliers who use other players be the main ballhandler on the court. The Shooting Guard position is basically your "off the ball guard" he'll generally run along the perimeter, and is looking to catch shots to hit 3 pointers. In tomorrows game you have Klay Thompson, who many conisder to be a top 10 player in the league, playing for the Warriors, and JR Smith, who would need an entire post to describe, for the Cavaliers. Last, is the Point Guard, which is generally your primary ballhandler up and down the court. Although he is the shortest, he is generally the fastest player on the court, the best passer on the court, and also the best "ball handler" on the court. (ball handling refers to a persons dribbling abilitie) The point guard is, at least for a lot of teams, the most important player on the court, as he's the one that generally passes the ball and sets up offensive plays. Both teams on Sunday have 2 very good point guards, The warriors have Steph Curry, the MVP of the league and considered by many to be the best player in the league. Steph Curry is not the best passer in the world, but he is the best shooter in the world. Watch the shots this guy takes and makes, it's something special to behold. On the Cavaliers, you have Kyrie Irving, who's more of a prototypical point guard. He is incredibly fast, has some of the best dribbling and passing abilities in the league, and can also hit a shot.

I just finished reading this and it's super nice to have it lined up like this. I finally understand what each role does but I got two things I'm not so sure about:

01) The shooting guard; so he'll mostly stay to the lines, and go for those 3 pointers right?

02) I'm not sure, but what about the defending roles? I take it the center forward is the one standing underneath the basket in defense but what about the rest? Will the guards be the ones covering the front arc? Or how does the defensive positions work out?

[edit] oh yeah, I'm from Denmark by the way, so I might have to import, as they only have them in XL to XXL sizes here, and as replica. Btw, thanks for your second post which I will go through tomorrow morning. I'm so happy to get into basketball. :)

Jarate

Banned
I just finished reading this and it's super nice to have it lined up like this. I finally understand what each role does but I got two things I'm not so sure about:

01) The shooting guard; so he'll mostly stay to the lines, and go for those 3 pointers right?

02) I'm not sure, but what about the defending roles? I take it the center forward is the one standing underneath the basket in defense but what about the rest? Will the guards be the ones covering the front arc? Or how does the defensive positions work out?

[edit] oh yeah, I'm from Denmark by the way, so I might have to import, as they only have them in XL to XXL sizes here, and as replica. Btw, thanks for your second post which I will go through tomorrow morning. I'm so happy to get into basketball. :)

So generally, your center and power forward will be staying under the basket more then not, although now, a lot of teams love running a big man who can shoot a 3, so the Power Forward are starting to go outside. Small Forward will kind of do both roles

Shooting Guard is generally the guy off the ball, so he'll usually stand on the 3 point line or run a heavy amount of pick and rolls. Although there are some ball dominant SGs like James Harden who will holod the ball outside

Guards are most likely to stay on the perimeter to guard from potential 3 point shots

Pachimari

I'm gonna play NBA 2K as well to get into it all as well. Can't wait for Sunday's game.

I also found a LA Lakers fan site - Lakers Nation - and a forum - Lakers Ground - which I hope are great places to get back into my team as well.

So generally, your center and power forward will be staying under the basket more then not, although now, a lot of teams love running a big man who can shoot a 3, so the Power Forward are starting to go outside. Small Forward will kind of do both roles

Shooting Guard is generally the guy off the ball, so he'll usually stand on the 3 point line or run a heavy amount of pick and rolls. Although there are some ball dominant SGs like James Harden who will holod the ball outside

Guards are most likely to stay on the perimeter to guard from potential 3 point shots
Thanks a lot, this explained it! Man you're a kind soul. :)

Jarate

Banned
The Lakers aren't going to trade Russell and if they did it wouldn't be for Okafor.

Honestly, if I was the Lakers I'd do it. It's still gotta see Russel walking on eggshells in the locker room. Might be tough for his developement. Also, I dont see Russel as an on ball player like the Lakers need tbh. And why pick Dunn when Clarkson is basically Dunn?

This fills a major hole on their team at the center position. I don't think it's going to be done because Bryan Colangelo has done everything in his power to hurt Okafors value.

I can't see that happening, I imagine if they're trying to move him it's to get a top 5 pick for Dunn.

Dunn is basically Clarkson, except with a lot less question marks.

Dunn is basically Clarkson, except with a lot less question marks.

I'm not sure who else they'd want a top 5 pick for if they're getting rid of their presumed point guard of the future. I guess Jamal Murray or Bender could potentially make sense.

Pachimari

Now that Kobe has retired, Jordan Clarkson is basically my favorite player on LA Lakers, but that's for something as superfluous as him being half Filipino like myself. I can't wait watch him play next season as well as the rest of the guys. When I first started watching some NBA again last year it was shocking and saddening to see them lose game after game, I did not expect that.

Jarate

Banned
I'm gonna play NBA 2K as well to get into it all as well. Can't wait for Sunday's game.

I also found a LA Lakers fan site - Lakers Nation - and a forum - Lakers Ground - which I hope are great places to get back into my team as well.

Thanks a lot, this explained it! Man you're a kind soul. :)

no problem man, just know the Lakers are a little dog shit right now, so it might be a tough watch. It's ok though, Im a Sixers fan, and my team managed to be worse! Also, the NBA is like any other sport with a billion games in a season, don't worry about missing games unless it's against one of the best teams in the league.

and if I forgot anything and remember, i'll post it. Also, if you're playing 2k, just be aware that there's 2 rules called 3 second violation. Basically a guy cant be camped in the paint for 3 consecutive seconds. Theoretically, the defender can stay in the paint for longer then 3 seconds, but only if he has been actively guarding someone

This is rarely called in the NBA, but it will kill you in 2K lol

Top Bottom