• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Sandfox

Honestly, if I was the Lakers I'd do it. It's still gotta see Russel walking on eggshells in the locker room. Might be tough for his developement. Also, I dont see Russel as an on ball player like the Lakers need tbh. And why pick Dunn when Clarkson is basically Dunn?

This fills a major hole on their team at the center position. I don't think it's going to be done because Bryan Colangelo has done everything in his power to hurt Okafors value.

Dunn is basically Clarkson, except with a lot less question marks.

The Sixers are apparently having issues trading him and it makes more sense to get a center another way than trade a player that actually fits what we're trying to do. Also, even if you don't see Russell that way it doesn't really matter in Luke's sysyem where he will be off the ball a lot like how it is in GS.

Jarate

Banned
Now that Kobe has retired, Jordan Clarkson is basically my favorite player on LA Lakers, but that's for something as superfluous as him being half Filipino like myself. I can't wait watch him play next season as well as the rest of the guys. When I first started watching some NBA again last year it was shocking and saddening to see them lose game after game, I did not expect that.

you'll find reasons to watch, it's actually somewhat nice in a way to be that bad, since being mediocre and old in the NBA is a death sentence for teams.

Just enjoy the players developement, and hope you guys win big in free agency, or get some nice players in the draft. It's actually fun watching your young guys start to get better

Jarate

Banned
The Sixers are apparently having issues trading him and it makes more sense to get a center another way than trade a player that actually fits what we're trying to do. Also, even if you don't see Russell that way it doesn't really matter in Luke's sysyem where he will be off the ball a lot like how it is in GS.

according to Chad Ford, whose literally Danny Ainge's mouth piece, the guy who retroactively changed his big boards. Chad Ford is garbo, and even Celtics fans will say he's just the word of Danny Ainge. It's the mormon mafia.

Okafor is way more valuable then the 3rd pick this year due to how weak the draft is.

Sandfox

according to Chad Ford, whose literally Danny Ainge's mouth piece, the guy who retroactively changed his big boards. Chad Ford is garbo, and even Celtics fans will say he's just the word of Danny Ainge. It's the mormon mafia.

Okafor is way more valuable then the 3rd pick this year due to how weak the draft is.

You do realize the article you posted is from something Chad Ford said, right?

Jarate

Banned

yeah, that trade aint gonna happen, just posting it to start some feedback yo. There's a big difference between posting chad fords trade nonsense and using him to defend your point

Kieli

I just finished reading this and it's super nice to have it lined up like this. I finally understand what each role does but I got two things I'm not so sure about:

01) The shooting guard; so he'll mostly stay to the lines, and go for those 3 pointers right?

02) I'm not sure, but what about the defending roles? I take it the center forward is the one standing underneath the basket in defense but what about the rest? Will the guards be the ones covering the front arc? Or how does the defensive positions work out?

[edit] oh yeah, I'm from Denmark by the way, so I might have to import, as they only have them in XL to XXL sizes here, and as replica. Btw, thanks for your second post which I will go through tomorrow morning. I'm so happy to get into basketball. :)

A prototypical shooting guard takes a lot of midrange and 3-point shots.

But my favourite players tend to be slashing guards (i.e. those who go for layups). It's how I like to play the game too, as my shot is horrible.

jbug617

Banned
The speculation going around that Lebron might end up in LA (Clippers or Lakers) if he can get the Cavs a championship. It might be 1 more yr in Cleveland and then leave in 2017 FA.

That would leave the East wide open and maybe change KD's plan.

Pachimari

Can someone enlighten me on the positions of the players of LA Lakers? I want to get to know my team better, and is probably also play some games in NBA 2K16, but have no idea when and why coaches are substituting players other than fatigue. I like Clarkson but don't know which position he even plays.

yeah an article on silverscreenandroll deconstructs how Chad Ford basically said nothing with the way he worded his speculation:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/...-trade-rumors-dangelo-russell-marquese-chriss

You know, Jarate, for how legit you keep arguing Okafor is, you sure do seem oddly anxious to dump him. I don't think D'Angelo is walking on eggshells. The two guys that I've heard had the biggest issues with him, Nick Young and Lou Williams, are not long for this team anyway. That would be a really dumb reason to trade a guy as young and promising, and they certainly aren't trading him for a guy they passed on drafting just one year ago.

I have a feeling that D'Lo is gonna go off this season. Luke is gonna let him take off those Byron Scott leg irons.

tumblr_nhf7p1WdFl1rcxbkyo1_250.gif

Sandfox

Can someone enlighten me on the positions of the players of LA Lakers? I want to get to know my team better, and is probably also play some games in NBA 2K16, but have no idea when and why coaches are substituting players other than fatigue. I like Clarkson but don't know which position he even plays.

D'Angelo Russell: plays both point guard and shooting guard, but starts at PG

Jordan Clarkson: plays both point guard and shooting guards. starts at SG and mostly plays PG when Russell in on the bench

Julius Randle: Power Forward

Larry Nance Jr: Power Forward

Anthony Brown: Shooting Guard and Small Forward

Nick Young: Shooting Guard and Small Forward

Lou Williams: Shooting Guard and Small Forward

Positions are becoming less important in basketball though and some of these guys could potentially even play traditionally bigger positions for stretches.

Jarate

Banned
yeah an article on silverscreenandroll deconstructs how Chad Ford basically said nothing with the way he worded his speculation:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/...-trade-rumors-dangelo-russell-marquese-chriss

You know, Jarate, for how legit you keep arguing Okafor is, you sure do seem oddly anxious to dump him. I don't think D'Angelo is walking on eggshells. The two guys that I've heard had the biggest issues with him, Nick Young and Lou Williams, are not long for this team anyway. That would be a really dumb reason to trade a guy as young and promising, and they certainly aren't trading him for a guy they passed on drafting just one year ago.

I'm high on Okafor, but simply put, hes the most likely to be traded due to just general fit of system. I really really like Okafor and would take him over Noel, but Noel has a lot less value apparently, and also, most rumors are saying the Sixer's would rather trade Okafor.

Basically, Colangelo needs to trade either Okafor or Noel. Okafor seems a lot more likely

Pachimari

I think the LA Lakers Kobe Bryant 24 jersey is sold out on NBA.com.

D'Angelo Russell: plays both point guard and shooting guard, but starts at PG

Jordan Clarkson: plays both point guard and shooting guards. starts at SG and mostly plays PG when Russell in on the bench

Julius Randle: Power Forward

Larry Nance Jr: Power Forward

Anthony Brown: Shooting Guard and Small Forward

Nick Young: Shooting Guard and Small Forward

Lou Williams: Shooting Guard and Small Forward

Positions are becoming less important in basketball though and some of these guys could potentially even play traditionally bigger positions for stretches.
Man, thanks for this Sandfox! It can be a little confusing if they can swap around positions or are versatile but I'll eventually get into it. I'll just have to keep an eye on them during games.

Cheebo

Banned
I think the LA Lakers Kobe Bryant 24 jersey is sold out on NBA.com.

Man, thanks for this Sandfox! It can be a little confusing if they can swap around positions or are versatile but I'll eventually get into it. I'll just have to keep an eye on them during games.
As an FYI...don't get too attached to all of those players. Lakers are probably going to make a lot of moves in the off-season.

What are the chances of Jordan Clarkson staying with us?

He's a restricted free agent which means the Lakers have the option to match any contract he's offered by another team so it's unlikely for him to leave unless another team offers him an insanely expensive deal.

Sandfox

He's a restricted free agent which means the Lakers have the option to match any contract he's offered by another team so it's unlikely for him to leave unless another team offers him an insanely expensive deal.

He's going to be cheap either way due to the Arenas provision.

True, I think the most he can get out of a team is a 4 year $58M deal. Although that still means you're paying Clarkson over 20 million in both years 3 and 4.

While I think Clarkson probably doesn't have the highest of ceilings, I think $58 million for 4 years is a great value for a guy with his skills. Still makes him a great asset.

Pachimari

I came to think, when the eight best teams go to playoffs, will the 1st place face of with 8th place, 2nd with 7th, 3rd with 6th etc?

While I think Clarkson probably doesn't have the highest of ceilings, I think $58 million for 4 years is a great value for a guy with his skills. Still makes him a great asset.

It's not bad and I think the Lakers probably do it in the end but I also don't think it's guaranteed.

Don't know if it's been mentioned here but the Lakers hired Jesse Murmeys, former Toronto D-League head coach, to be a part of Luke's staff. He's the first official member, IIRC, though Brian Shaw seems to be a given and he might retain some guys from the previous regime. From what I've read he's good with young player development.

Pachimari

I'm actually of excited to see them develop next season. But I'm not sure who are the young guys, and who I should keep an eye on. I know Clarkson, Russel, Randle and Williams.

I'm actually of excited to see them develop next season. But I'm not sure who are the young guys, and who I should keep an eye on. I know Clarkson, Russel, Randle and Williams.

Williams is 29. He's not really a part of the rebuild and honestly they should look to trade him if they can get something decent back. Clarkson, Russell and Randle are the big three in terms of ceilings, along with whoever they take with the 2nd pick. Nance is a nice young piece but more of a role player. Anthony Brown is a guy that hasn't done much but I think he has the skills to be a solid role playing 3 and D player. We'll see what Walton can do with him. But yeah, in terms of the major pieces who need to develop in order for the Lakers to become good again, it's Russell, Randle, Clarkson and Ingram (if that's who goes 2nd).

Russell and the player that the Lakers pick with the second pick I think will have the highest ceiling. Randle really needs to work on his D as well as Clarkson.

Don't know if it's been mentioned here but the Lakers hired Jesse Murmeys, former Toronto D-League head coach, to be a part of Luke's staff. He's the first official member, IIRC, though Brian Shaw seems to be a given and he might retain some guys from the previous regime. From what I've read he's good with young player development.

He's good. Definitely helped Powell this year

Top Bottom