• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Since we're doing far-too-early-to-make-any-fucking-sense lists:

1.) Cavs - My team goes here. I am worried about a lot of talent attrition, leaving for bigger pay days than CLE is willing/able to offer players like JR and Shumpert. If KD goes to Boston, management will change their mind about not touching the core.

2.) Raptors - Still pretty young, don't see anyone falling off and JV will only get better.

3.) Celtics - Better than last year but JV is better than Horford and Raps have the best back court in the league when not headcases. They move up to #1 if they land KD.

4.) Hawks - I think Howard gives them something in the playoffs that Horford couldn't, but they're losing more talent than they're gaining overall.

5.) Pacers - Some nice moves and PG will have another great year.

6.) Pistons - Youth that will only get better. They're a star SG player away from being top 3.

7.) Heat - Meh. Need to see another year of consistency from Whiteside to ensure his head is in the game, but I think he is their best player now. Wade won't have as strong a season this year I don't think. Not sure if he and Dragic make it through the season without Dragic getting a black eye from him. Winslow will have to start this year. If he learns how to shoot, Heat move up on my board. If I knew Bosh would be good for 72 games, they'd be a few slots higher...but yea. They move up to #2 if they get KD. I like LeBron + Irving more than KD + Wade in any scenario. If Wade leaves, their franchise dies.

8.) Knicks - Rose was quiet but pretty solid last year all things considered and I expect him to be a bit better this year. Melo will be Melo, Porz will be better and Noah will help their front court. They will score points. Defense on the other hand...

Just outside and looking in: Bucks, Hornets.

All of this assumes reasonable health for all rosters. Heat and Knicks are the most fragile here and if the health of any cores on either team falters, the Hornets and Bucks will take their spots.

megalowho

I'm not a betting man but if I were I'd put it on KD to the Celtics. Fresh change of scenery far away from his old stomping grounds with a great chance at multiple titles. It makes a ton of sense and if he wants to start over, why not in Boston? Feels bad as a CLE fan, which is why I think it makes great sense for him. No other move puts him 100% in the Conference Finals every year except GSW and I don't think he's quite the kind of guy that wants to go to a ready-made team with a leader established. He can go to Boston and LEAD.
Boston featuring Kevin Durant would be a fitting adversary for LeBron's third act with the Cavs. That's just good storytelling.

Ninjimbo

If the Heat keep Wade, all they need is to learn how to shoot threes and they'll be a 2 seed. With Deng and Joe gone obviously that will be a lot harder, but hey, it's not the hardest thing you can do in the NBA.

If the Heat keep Wade, all they need is to learn how to shoot threes and they'll be a 2 seed. With Deng and Joe gone obviously that will be a lot harder, but hey, it's not the hardest thing you can do in the NBA.

those losses hurt their regular season projections worse than you realize. those guys were steady as fuck during the regular season. I don't see a path to the top 4 for the Heat without them unless they land KD which I don't see happening. If Bosh didn't have health issues, maybe. But he's too big of a piece of the puzzle for a free agent to have to consider, given his health instability. Boston is a piece away and has no health issues like Bosh's blood or Wade's knees and back (and age) to worry about.

If you're KD, you go to Boston if you go East. Heat offer him nothing that the Celtics don't offer and better. Better bench, better role players, non-selfish players, better sports city, better fanbase, better legacy.

those losses hurt their regular season projections worse than you realize. those guys were steady as fuck during the regular season. I don't see a path to the top 4 for the Heat without them unless they land KD which I don't see happening. If Bosh didn't have health issues, maybe. But he's too big of a piece of the puzzle for a free agent to have to consider, given his health instability. Boston is a piece away and has no health issues like Bosh's blood or Wade's knees and back (and age) to worry about.

If you're KD, you go to Boston if you go East. Heat offer him nothing that the Celtics don't offer and better. Better bench, better role players, non-selfish players, better sports city, better fanbase, better legacy.

Why not Toronto?

is it because we don't have a starting quality 4? :/

KD can play the 4, Demarre could if you really wanted him too.

Lunar FC

Thought maybe the Heat could do something in free agency but it seems all but over. Bosh's career is likely over and Wade is looking elsewhere to finally get paid. Losing Deng and Joe in attempt to land KD seems pointless at this point.

Boston is a piece away

stephen-a-smith-laugh.gif

jdstorm

Banned
Surprised people are picking Miami as a playoff team.
Bosh health issues still a concern. Plus Wade might leave.
They lost Deng who was arguably having one of the best stretches of his career in the 2nd half of the season. They lost Joe Johnson who gave time a spark from time to time.
I can't see Miami being better than Wizards or Hornets as presently constructed with so many question marks.

Pacers are better than the Bucks. PG13 has help now.
Bucks are just a team with talent that doesn't play together.
Knicks are gonna be legit because they got DRose playing in a contract year.

I agree that there are about 1 million questions about Miami. I just think that the southeast is completely terrible and since they were good enough to be a top 4 team last year. I may as well take my chances with them.

Atlanta was also in that 3-6 tie last season but got worse this offseason, Charlotte got worse loosing Lin. Washington was/is looking terrible. I don't have much faith in Miami. But I have less in every other team.

As for Milwaukee. They were pretty good last year after MCW got hurt and changed their starting PG to Tyler Ennis . So I'm betting that they continue that hot streak into this upcoming season. All the Central teams (minus the Bulls) are looking pretty good

mjp2417

Banned
So they're two pieces away, not one piece away.

I mean, even if they just sign Durant, they are still a legitimate title contender along with Cleveland, Golden St., and San Antonio. They're not the favorites among that quartet, but they also aren't the Raptors. But if they sign Durant, they are also bringing in someone else because they can and because it makes too much sense. If Durant signs with Boston, they will be the title favorites by the end of the summer because there will be one more major move in motion. He's a huge domino

CSX

I am prepared for the "Fuck Defense" team build of the Rockets this year cuz holy shit we got anderson AFTER Howard left lolololol

We were pretty much no D last season but this is taking it to new levels lol

Our entire starting 5 will never cross halfcourt :p

I mean, even if they just sign Durant, they are still a legitimate title contender along with Cleveland, Golden St., and San Antonio. They're not the favorites among that quartet, but they also aren't the Raptors. But if they sign Durant, they are also bringing in someone else because they can and because it makes too much sense. If Durant signs with Boston, they will be the title favorites by the end of the summer because there will be one more major move in motion. He's a huge domino

I also enjoy baseless assumptions.

mjp2417

Banned
I also enjoy baseless assumptions.

A team stacked with lottery picks for the foreseeable future turning those lottery picks into proven NBA talent is not a baseless assumption. It's a logical conclusion backed by recent precedent. The 2016 NBA champions did the exact same thing and the Celtics have more assets to work with than just Wiggins.

megalowho

What would the Celtics starting line-up be like if they get KD (not really familiar w/ their roster)?
Probably something like

PG - Isaiah Thomas
SG - Avery Bradley
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Jae Crowder
C - Al Horford

Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, Kelly Olynyk off the bench. If they trade for a starting center, Crowder would go to the bench as well.

Probably something like

PG - Isaiah Thomas
SG - Avery Bradley
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Jae Crowder
C - Al Horford

Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, Kelly Olynyk off the bench. If they trade for a starting center, Crowder would go to the bench as well.

Man, looking at that lineup defensively, they really need a defensive presence at C to prevent people from abusing Isiah. Horford ain't really that guy.

jman2050

Probably something like

PG - Isaiah Thomas
SG - Avery Bradley
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Jae Crowder
C - Al Horford

That team likely still doesn't beat Cleveland. It really depends on if they get someone else and who that someone else is.

Bread

Banned
The Celtics played GSW and Cleveland really hard last year. Smart, Crowder, and Bradley fuck up their offenses.

pislit

Memphis signing both Conley and Parsons to max deals, 20 million contract is one thing, but actual max for both these guys? WTF. no all star , finals appearance, they cant even appear on playoff games lol

Hitta93

Banned
I am prepared for the "Fuck Defense" team build of the Rockets this year cuz holy shit we got anderson AFTER Howard left lolololol

We were pretty much no D last season but this is taking it to new levels lol

Our entire starting 5 will never cross halfcourt :p

We should be a little better defensively I think if Capela has a breakout season.

Only players Thunder have that are irreplaceable are Westbrook X Adams
The rest can easily be replicated on the Celtics
Roberson is basically a taller Bradley but Bradley can actually make shots
Hortford is better than Ibaka X Kanter
Lol Crowder is decent enough
Waiters ain't shit
Thomas isn't Westbrook but he's actually a point guard

Plus Ainge will throw everything in packages to get vet players X a legit center like Cousins if they get Durant

Jimrpg

Probably something like

PG - Isaiah Thomas
SG - Avery Bradley
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Jae Crowder
C - Al Horford

If Durants decision is based on basketball, then there's no way he will pick Thomas, Bradley and co over Curry, Thompson and co.

Silkworm

Only players Thunder have that are irreplaceable are Westbrook X Adams
The rest can easily be replicated on the Celtics
Roberson is basically a taller Bradley but Bradley can actually make shots
Hortford is better than Ibaka X Kanter
Lol Crowder is decent enough
Waiters ain't shit
Thomas isn't Westbrook but he's actually a point guard

Plus Ainge will throw everything in packages to get vet players X a legit center like Cousins if they get Durant

I've been waiting forever for the Celtics to get Cousins. If they got him along with Durant, I don't think my heart couldn't take it :-D But I'm still pessimistic, so I figure Durant will stay with OKC for at least one more year and test the waters next year, which isn't all that bad as I'm a fan of Coach Donovan and want to see him succeed ;-) At least the Celtics got Horford, one of the all time great Gator players, so I'm happy about that :)

JaMarco

Does anybody know the PSI Durant likes his basketballs to be? Should be a big factor whether decides to come to Boston or not, and would explain why he meet with Brady all day yesterday.

megalowho

The Celtics have plenty of flexibility, that is a great team to complement his game. He doesn't have to worry about YNB in Boston.
Yeah, I like the fit a lot. Bradley, Crowder and Smart are defensive instigators that don't need the ball to be effective. Thomas can facilitate, create his own shot or play off the ball without going full Westbrook. Horford will do a bit of everything on both ends but he's not looking for 20ppg.

Brad Stevens also means they'd be playing positionless basketball in an uptempo, motion offense with the personnel and discipline to be one of the top defenses in the league again. The names may not jump out on paper as much but that team is built to compete, would bring out the best in Durant's game and still have room to grow. One more big and they're a serious problem.

Still fully expect a return to OKC, but after the Horford deal and a 4 hour meeting/flight to Boston it's hard not to feel like there's at least a chance.

Top Bottom