• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Colasante

After the Warriors dipped their toes into a heel turn during the Finals after being America's darling for two seasons, it'd actually be pretty fun to see them fully embrace it with Durant in tow.

What's the point of going to Boston or staying in OKC and being top dog on a team that doesn't win championships?

Well, ideally he'll win a championship in either location. Winning a championship in Boston or OKC would mean a hell of a lot more than joining the best team of all time and winning one there. Going to a 73 win team and being nothing more than an upgrade on Harrison Barnes will do little for his individual legacy, if that's what he cares about.

El Topo

Theres a real possibility that the Sixers are going to offer Jamal Crawford a 1 year max lol

I dont mind, we have like 50 million to spend to get to the cap floor, and a 1 year deal is like ok.

Crawford would be great. Are there any (other) experienced free agents out there that could have a positive influence on your rookies that you could still sign?

Chase17

After the Warriors dipped their toes into a heel turn during the Finals after being America's darling for two seasons, it'd actually be pretty fun to see them fully embrace it with Durant in tow.

They've lived long enough to see themselves become the villains. The nut hits helped.

The next step is Curry beginning to get Lebron amounts of criticism. Curry had a fairly bad finals and from what I've seen has remained unscathed. Meanwhile I saw people all over Lebron for not taking over in game 7 even after he had a triple double.

But instead of Curry it might be Durant taking the Lebron role I guess.

Cornbread78

I'll just reiterate what I said last week about Durant: If he signs in GS, I won't bother watching a single NBA game all season. What would be the point? Baring injury, that team would have already locked up a championship and it would make an already uncompetitive NBA unbearable. On top of that, Durant would be tauted as the biggest bitch in the NBA for making that move, lol

He's better than that... hopefully...

PG: Stephen Curry
SG: Klay Thompson
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Draymond Green
C: Andrew Bogut or Pau Gasol (Plan B)

and they still have a deep bench and they now have two players who can guard LeBron, Iggy and Durant?

89754-SHEEIT-gif-Clay-Davis-The-Wire-R90q.gif

I'll just reiterate what I said last week about Durant: If he signs in GS, I won't bother watching a single NBA game all season. What would be the point? Baring injury, that team would have already locked up a championship and it would make an already uncompetitive NBA unbearable. On top of that, Durant would be tauted as the biggest bitch in the NBA for making that move, lol

This is how I feel as well.

spyder_ur

and they still have a deep bench and they now have two players who can guard LeBron Iggy and Durant?

Durant cannot guard LeBron, at least for any length of time.

Don't get my wrong - I think Durant on the Warriors is terrifying for the league, but I also don't think it's risk free for the Dubs in terms of roles, personalities, and chemistry. This team won 73 games last year - how much better can they get? It wouldn't be the first time that putting together a superteam backfired in some way.

Eos

and they still have a deep bench and they now have two players who can guard LeBron, Iggy and Durant?

it's over
that'd probably be the best starting 5 ever

If he's not coming to the Heat that's cool. By the time the Warriors fall off Winslow and JRich will be ready for prime time and Bosh and Wade will be good bench players. I'm okay with this move.

Correction Wade will be sitting with Zo in the stands. Bosh will be a good bench player.

jman2050

Believe in Lebron.

People don't understand that the current generation of players doesn't really care about being the "top dog" or what people on the radio and blogs think of their "legacy". These guys come up through the AAU ranks, playing with other great players. Then they transfer to basketball high schools where they play with other five star recruits (D'Angelo Russell and Ben Simmons were on the same team at Montverde Academy. Spoiler: neither one of them is from Florida). Then they join up with other 5 star recruits at whatever basketball factory college of their choice (Duke, KU, Kentucky, ect...) These guys are fine with playing with other great players. It's funner for them. The people that will shit on KD for "playing second fiddle" to Steph are the same people that constantly shit on him every year he doesn't win a title, so why should he give two fucks what they think? Do you think the two rings LeBron won in Miami are any less shiny because he won them with Wade and Bosh?

megalowho

People don't understand that the current generation of players doesn't really care about being the "top dog" or what people on the radio and blogs think of their "legacy". These guys come up through the AAU ranks, playing with other great players. Then they transfer to basketball high schools where they play with other five star recruits (D'Angelo Russell and Ben Simmons were on the same team at Montverde Academy. Spoiler: neither one of them is from Florida). Then they join up with other 5 star recruits at whatever basketball factory college of their choice (Duke, KU, Kentucky, ect...) These guys are fine with playing with other great players. It's funner for them. The people that will shit on KD for "playing second fiddle" to Steph are the same people that constantly shit on him every year he doesn't win a title, so why should he give two fucks what they think? Do you think the two rings LeBron won in Miami are any less shiny because he won them with Wade and Bosh?
https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/18688294600

I thought Durant was a different kind of cat. We shall see

People shit on Kevin Durant for not getting rings, and then they're going to shit on him for getting rings? Sucks to be Kevin Durant in that regard. Win rings, but you have to do it by yourself.

Misterhbk

Durant cannot guard LeBron, at least for any length of time.

Don't get my wrong - I think Durant on the Warriors is terrifying for the league, but I also don't think it's risk free for the Dubs in terms of roles, personalities, and chemistry. This team won 73 games last year - how much better can they get? It wouldn't be the first time that putting together a superteam backfired in some way.

The chemistry concerns are the funniest doubt I've heard about this potential team. All they have to do is not change the system. You're just unplugging Barnes and switching in Durant. The shot goes to the guy that's open. They hardly ever call plays as it is. Durant would get more wide open looks than he's ever seen. As would Curry and Klay. Because they would be nigh unguardable. Forcing teams to play at least one of the three one on one. It'll be beautiful. As far as how much better. They can end it with a chip instead of a choke and a guy shooting like 5/30 in 3 games.

If he's not coming to the Heat that's cool. By the time the Warriors fall off Winslow and JRich will be ready for prime time and Bosh and Wade will be good bench players. I'm okay with this move.

Correction Wade will be sitting with Zo in the stands. Bosh will be a good bench player.

There's only one JRich and he's retired

Colasante

The Lakers weren't a super team when that tweet was made either.

People thought Kobe, Dwight, and Steve Nash were going to be a super team though.

People shit on Kevin Durant for not getting rings, and then they're going to shit on him for getting rings? Sucks to be Kevin Durant in that regard. Win rings, but you have to do it by yourself.

Where's the logic behind this? You think people would have shit on Durant if he'd won the championship this year? Obviously not. But realizing he's not good enough to lead a team to the championship and joining literally the best (regular season) team of all time in order to get a ring? Yeah, that warrants getting shit on a bit.

Misterhbk

This stuff ^^^

The chemistry concerns are the funniest doubt I've heard about this potential team. All they have to do is not change the system. You're just unplugging Barnes and switching in Durant. The shot goes to the guy that's open. They hardly ever call plays as it is. Durant would get more wide open looks than he's ever seen. As would Curry and Klay. Because they would be nigh unguardable. Forcing teams to play at least one of the three one on one. It'll be beautiful. As far as how much better. They can end it with a chip instead of a choke and a guy shooting like 5/30 in 3 games.

Kerr has some versatility with the lineup of death now too. In a hypothetical Cavs matchup, you let Iggy or Dray guard Bron. You probably have the same issues with offensive rebounding with Durant having to put a body on Tristian Thompson, but his rebounding and rim protection were elite in the WCF when the Thunder went small.

NHale

But what would Skip Bayless think about this?

Seriously while as a fan I would love for Durant to stay in OKC (despite their owners) and challenge the best instead of joining them, if I was in his shoes I couldn't care less about that because nobody who criticize him, will be there to help him if he doesn't get a ring by staying or joining the Celtics. If he is all about basketball, he should join the team that best allows him to win. Everyone here would do the same.

Top Bottom