• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Eleuin

I know it probably doesn't matter to him but it just seems shitty to ring chase this early in his career.

??? The dude is 27 and has been in the league for a while now

Sure he's in his prime and still has many years left but being an important part of a championship team is probably big to him

He doesn't want to be Miami Heat Gary Payton or some of the other olds who rode coattails to rings

He doesn't. It's just the way it is.

For you to basically sweep this under as a non-issue is more concerning.

lol why is it an issue? I'm just being realistic. Kevin Durant is one of the best players of all time. Whether he goes to GS or stays in OKC doesn't change that. I just don't tie a players worth to some bullshit set of intangibles like "Did he win a ring on his own!??!" or "Is he DA ALPHA DAWG!?" or hold him to some set of standards from players who played 20-30 years ago ignoring all other context.

"Sweep this under"? "Non-issue"? What do you want, government intervention to stop the formation of super teams lol?

You're allowed to win with other all-star talent on the team, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T CHOOSE TO PLAY WITH THEM. DON'T JOIN THEM IN THE FREE AGENCY.

Like, what?

lol why is it an issue? I'm just being realistic. Kevin Durant is one of the best players of all time. Whether he goes to GS or stays in OKC doesn't change that. I just don't tie a players worth to some bullshit set of intangibles like "Did he win a ring on his own!??!" or "Is he DA ALPHA DAWG!?" or hold him to some set of standards from players who played 20-30 years ago ignoring all other context.

"Sweep this under"? "Non-issue"? What do you want, government intervention to stop the formation of super teams lol?

David Stern need to come back and stop this shit for "basketball reasons"

You're allowed to win with other all-star talent on the team, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T CHOOSE TO PLAY WITH THEM. DON'T JOIN THEM IN THE FREE AGENCY.

Like, what?

Exactly this. Let's ignore all generational context, like how the reason Magic and Larry didn't have to form their own super teams is because the nature of the league with regards to free agency and dumb owners allowed them to step onto super teams from day 1. Nope. EVERY PLAYER SHOULD HAVE TO DO IT THE WAY THEY DID!

Like, what?

I get that Durant shouldn't care what some wieners on the internet think of him but it still feels shitty for him to join arguably the best team of all time that just so happened to embarrass his team in the playoffs. Then again having a villainous NBA team again may be fun.

Hitta93

Banned
I get that Durant shouldn't care what some wieners on the internet think of him but it still feels shitty for him to join arguably the best team of all time that just so happened to embarrass his team in the playoffs.
Let them be dense and continue to tell you otherwise.

Let them be dense and continue to tell you otherwise.

I'm sure on his death bed 70 years from now Kevin Durant will look over at his night stand at his 4 NBA championship rings and be overcome with regret at the thought that NeoGAF poster "Hitta93" doesn't think any of them are legitimate.

FZZ

Banned
What would be better?

KD joining warriors and losing to Bron Bron in the finals?

Or KD joining warriors and losing to OKC in the playoffs?

OR KD joining warriors losing to OKC, then OKC wins the finals

LMAO

What would be better?

LMAO

KD joining the Warriors and losing to the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals.

I get that Durant shouldn't care what some wieners on the internet think of him but it still feels shitty for him to join arguably the best team of all time that just so happened to embarrass his team in the playoffs. Then again having a villainous NBA team again may be fun.

How did GS embarrass OKC? Losing a game 7 on the road to one of the best teams of all time isn't embarrassing. OKC wasn't even projected to beat the Spurs ffs This narrative needs to die

RootCause

What would be better?

LMAO
Knicks winning everything would funny as hell.

Chase17

What would be better?

LMAO
It turns out Durant was holding Westbrook back all along. Russ didn't want to win a title until he was the unquestionable alpha dog of the team so his ring could never be disputed.

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 1h1 hour ago
The sense from Durant to GSWs, according to a source, continues to be that he likes their team but doesn't know if he can/should leave OKC.

Like people don't hold Shaq over Kobe's head.

Not really, it was only a thing before he won two without him.

screen-shot-2016-04-30-at-9-08-09-pm.png

RootCause

I guarantee people will always mention Peyton Manning's two rings. It didn't matter how you win.
True, a ring is a ring. KD is one of the best players, winning with the Warriors isn't going to impact him negatively.
And the same talking heads that criticize him, will be the same ones to blow wind up his ass when/if he wins.

To me, players should do the best to make the most cash, and get themselves in a position to win championships.

He'll get no hate from me.

Can't wait to see the reaction if he actually signs there

It will be interesting though. Around the time Lebron made his decision, everyone suddenly tried to put KD on a pedestal as the new hero of the league. The media will now have to 180 and proclaim Lebron James their new humble savior.

TheFatOne

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 1h1 hour ago
The sense from Durant to GSWs, according to a source, continues to be that he likes their team but doesn't know if he can/should leave OKC.

He's going to take the easy solution and join the Celtics then. It makes too much sense. The stars are aligning. Celtics signing KD, and trading for Cousins. Championship.

Bread

Banned
He's going to take the easy solution and join the Celtics then. It makes too much sense. The stars are aligning. Celtics signing KD, and trading for Cousins. Championship.
Might as well go and get Butler too. We need another Hero Butler in New England.

BeCleve!

jmizzal

If Lebron can have a super team and be adored by NBA fans why can't Durant? He can go back to OKC in 5 years and get something with them too.

Yup LeBron went to Miami with a super team and went back to Cleveland after they had 2 other super stars. Why should KD care what people think, he's trying to win championships.

Uhh what? What did you want Presti to do, trade Durant last season?

Why do you think he or anyone in his position needs your validation?

Again I don't know about the relationship Presti and KD have. But if there was even a slim chance that KD might leave that you have to take it with an absolute certainty, because why the fuck would have want to stay because he was close and it is his best chance at a title. We have been saying this for the past few years and OKC has failed in the WCF time after time again. 2011 against the Mavs, 2014 against the Spurs, 2016 against the Warriors.
This era of superstars don't care about that 1 team for life loyalty stuff. Presti has been getting dealt great hands, but it is only a matter of time before you bust and lose.

Top Bottom