• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

jman2050

I'm interested to see what the Cavs (do they even have flexibility to do anything?) and OKC do to their rosters if KD decides to join Golden State.

Chase17

Wouldn't blame Durant for going to GS.

Would cut down the title contenders to two but it is what it is. The finals would be pretty fun though.

I still suspect hell stay in OKC, but really, going to GS is very very appealing. The organization is good, the locale is nice, good teammates, great coach. Steven Adams > Bogut but every other player on the GSW is better than w/e player OKC has at the same position. You also don't run the risk of getting kicked by Green in the nuts since I doubt he does that in practice.

Positives to OKC? Its a better roster than they had this last year when they took a historically good team to 7 games before losing away after beating another historically good team.

The OKC roster is really good right now, you already know you can take it to GSW, its hardly a stretch to say they *could* beat them in a series this coming year. Oladipo is such an upgrade over Waiters. Adams looks to become one of the best centers in the league. YNB is the second best pg in the league. Ibaka is a loss of course but hmm he wasn't very good this last year and he never seemed to step it up as a 3rd choice. I think they'll need to trade a couple pieces for a defensive big because Adams is the only big defender right now.

Fjordson

Warriors still need a center lol

Thompson can just bully Bogut again, Durant ain't gonna box him out
I think Durant taking all those shots Barnes got masks that and then some.

It also takes away what has been so far the league's biggest Draymond Green kryptonite (Durant matching up with him at the 4).

But I still think he goes back to OKC. Even if they're less a threat now to the Warriors without Ibaka imo.

Dthomp

I don't think there's an option I'd hate more than KD going to the Warriors.

Same boat. He's my favorite player, but this isn't him going to a team in need and continuing to build a legacy, or just keeping things going as a contender on the Thunder. Made a final, almost made it this season and constantly a threat. He goes to GS and I can no longer cheer for the guy.

mjp2417

Banned
I'm interested to see what the Cavs (do they even have flexibility to do anything?) and OKC do to their rosters if KD decides to join Golden State.

Only move the Cavs can really make is to pursue a Love trade . Realistically, their only hope would be that LeBron and Kyrie go Game 5 mode for like 7 straight games and the Warriors choke

All this "legacy" talk is meaningless when we hoist Kobe up because "5 RINGZ!!!!"

Number of championships won supercedes all else.

Exactly. What's the first thing people think of when they think of Charles Barkley or Karl Malone? Is it "Man those guys were great for gutting it out and sticking with their teams!" or is it "LOL NO RINGZ!"?

RootCause

No idea what he is even saying here..

But he did just call out both the Celtics rivals, so that is something..
That's an old tweet. People poking fun at him for saying to suck it up and go up against them, instead of joining up.

And now it looks like he could be joining a team that's been back to back to the finals, just went 73-9, and lost the finals in the last minute. lol

Anyway, that team will be unbeatable. The Heat big 3 won 14-16 playoffs series had major weaknesses, and were able to get away with it on pure talent. This team is going to be on another level. Great ball movement, off ball movement, 4 deadly shooters, I could go on, but you get it. It's quite unreal. :p

Misterhbk

The OKC roster is really good right now, you already know you can take it to GSW, its hardly a stretch to say they *could* beat them in a series this coming year. Oladipo is such an upgrade over Waiters. Adams looks to become one of the best centers in the league. YNB is the second best pg in the league. Ibaka is a loss of course but hmm he wasn't very good this last year and he never seemed to step it up as a 3rd choice. I think they'll need to trade a couple pieces for a defensive big because Adams is the only big defender right now.

Only question is, without Ibaka what do they do when their only rim protector gets pulled out to the perimeter? Having Ibaka and Adams both was key defensively. Now they only have one, and another guard who can't effectively space the floor. People calling okc the clear cuts winners of that trade might be wrong. Add in having to max Westbrook, Adams, Oladipo, and Durant the next year, and okc is in trouble long term regardless.

Anyway, that team will be unbeatable. The Heat big 3 won 14-16 playoffs series had major weaknesses, and were able to get away with it on pure talent. This team is going to be on another level. Great ball movement, off ball movement, 4 deadly shooters, I could go on, but you get it. It's quite unreal. :p

In other words, Lebron and crew might as well pack it up for the next 5 years. Too bad he'll be 40 years old by then.

When did Kobe join the team that just broke the record for most wins ever, which also happened to beat his own team in the playoffs?

Who remembered The Decision after Lebron won in Miami besides haters like me? Durant could win 4 in a row on a team like that and he'll be a star.

Hitta93

Banned
Exactly. What's the first thing people think of when they think of Charles Barkley or Karl Malone? Is it "Man those guys were great for gutting it out and sticking with their teams!" or is it "LOL NO RINGZ!"?

You know damn well if Malone won in LA, that ring wouldn't mean shit.

You know damn well if Malone won in LA, that ring wouldn't mean shit.

It would to him. Why would or should he care what you think? Same thing with Durant. Remember when LeBron said "those people have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life they had before"? This is who he was talking about.

Just listening to the shit that Charles says nowadays does it surprise you that he didn't win a ring?

If Lebron can have a super team and be adored by NBA fans why can't Durant? He can go back to OKC in 5 years and get something with them too.

@timkawakami

NBA source: Kevin Durant had a phone conversation with Warriors exec Jerry West yesterday.

RootCause

In other words, Lebron and crew might as well pack it up for the next 5 years. Too bad he'll be 40 years old by then.
Lol Lebrun, and everyone else. Really, if no injuries. :p

And here I was getting excited for TJ development, ;_;

Winslow, and JRich should be something to look forward to.

If Lebron can have a super team and be adored by NBA fans why can't Durant? He can go back to OKC in 5 years and get something with them too.
Who says that he can't? All is fair in FA.

Colasante

I don't know how anyone could believe LeBron joining the Heat and Durant joining the Warriors are perfect corollaries. LeBron joined a 47-win team that hadn't gotten past the first round in 4 years. Durant is joining a 73-win juggernaut that went to two straights Finals, winning one, set the record for wins in a season, and just eliminated his team.

Hitta93

Banned
It would to him. Why would or should he care what you think? Same thing with Durant. Remember when LeBron said "those people have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life they had before"? This is who he was talking about.

That LeBron quote means nothing, especially since he made up for it.

OK, if I really need to be more specific, Malone himself wouldn't value that ring the same unlike if he won one in Utah.

He doesn't have to care what we think, but there's no changing what the perception will be on him.

Fjordson

Only question is, without Ibaka what do they do when their only rim protector gets pulled out to the perimeter? Having Ibaka and Adams both was key defensively. Now they only have one, and another guard who can't effectively space the floor. People calling okc the clear cuts winners of that trade might be wrong. Add in having to max Westbrook, Adams, Oladipo, and Durant the next year, and okc is in trouble long term regardless.
I think it was good trade for OKC, just maybe not against Golden State specifically.

The lineup with Durant at the 4 and Ibaka at the 5 had a monster net rating that series and really killed the Warriors more than any other. I think their chances against GS have gone down somewhat with Ibaka gone.

I don't know how anyone could believe LeBron joining the Heat and Durant joining the Warriors are perfect corollaries. LeBron joined a 47-win team that hadn't gotten past the first round in 4 years. Durant is joining a 73-win juggernaut that went to two straights Finals, winning one, set the record for wins in a season, and just eliminated his team.

Not really, you could easily make the case that GSW needs him more than he needs them.

Dthomp

I know it probably doesn't matter to him but it just seems shitty to ring chase this early in his career.

This is my big problem with it. He isn't KG at the end of his career going to Boston to have a shot. He's a guy in his prime with lots of time left. When did all players not want to win on their own or with their team anymore. Too many guys willing to take the easy way out way to early in careers these days

If KD leaves, the only think OKC fans can do is blame Sam Presti, he had to have seen signs of KD leaving the Thunder. Losing him for nothing is going to suck.

FZZ

Banned

Furthermore leaving the cavs which did not surround LeBron with ANYONE worthwhile vs. leaving OKC which had a 3-1 lead on said team that eliminated you is completely different as well

This is my big problem with it. He isn't KG at the end of his career going to Boston to have a shot. He's a guy in his prime with lots of time left. When did all players not want to win on their own or with their team anymore. Too many guys willing to take the easy way out way to early in careers these days

I think it's a generation of NBA players that feel more empowered, and don't feel beholden or overly loyal to one single franchise, owner or even fanbase. A guy like KD is going to do whatever he wants to do, and who gives a fuck about preconceived notions of what a superstar is "supposed to do", who gives a fuck what a bunch of talking heads on TV or radio or the internet think about him. LeBron laid out the blueprint for these guys. To a lot of people, it's cowardly or makes them "pussies" or whatever, but why should he care? The way legacy is viewed is being turned on it's head, you better get used to it because it's not changing back.

Chase17

How in the hell do you know this? Skip Bayless has ruined sports fans.

Skip has done good work by spreading the truth that Lebron's rings don't count due to lockout season, Ray Allen heroics, and what ever the new reason is (kyrie?/Green's suspension?)

Duncan's first ring is completely legit though.

If KD leaves, the only think OKC fans can do is blame Sam Presti, he had to have seen signs of KD leaving the Thunder. Losing him for nothing is going to suck.

Uhh what? What did you want Presti to do, trade Durant last season?

What does Skip Bayless have to do with this?

I don't see how any person who has ever played sports can be OK with what Durant is doing.

Why do you think he or anyone in his position needs your validation?

Yeah, they're really gonna need a good defensive big if they're looking for consistently good D. Ibaka was pretty inconsistent this last season but he was still pretty good. I think they're gonna start looking to trade Kanter. Kanter is more of a luxury than anyone else on the roster. Im sure Presti can swindle some dumb GM to give up a defensive big and a nice wing player for Kanter.

TheFatOne

I'm still hoping for KD to the Celtics even though it seems like it's just between the Thunder and the Warriors now. Got to keep the hope alive.

Hitta93

Banned
Skip has done good work by spreading the truth that Lebron's rings don't count due to lockout season, Ray Allen heroics, and what ever the new reason is (kyrie? Drayman suspension?)

Duncan's first ring is completely legit though.

Why do you think LeBron went back to Cleveland?

Top Bottom