• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

These guys are bitch made for forming super teams themselves instead of letting super teams be formed for them due to lack of real free agency and their fellow owners being stupid that leads to a defending champions ending up with the first pick in the draft. Those were the good ol' days, when players had it tough. But hey, at least we had parity back then, like how the Lakers went to the Finals 8 times in the 80s. Much more spontaneous.

Exactly, if you're a player, why put the fate of your playing career in the hands of another person when you have a say in it? If anything this kind of trend puts management and ownership on their toes to constantly maintain teams rather than rest on their laurels when they finally land a superstar.

But you see, Kevin Durant should make it harder for himself and scratch and claw to win one ring. Then, at the end of his career, we can shit on his legacy for only winning one ring.

It's so dumb. It's really not any different. The Lakers had a playoff team with one of the greatest players in his prime (Kareem) and proceeded to get the number 1 overall pick twice over the next 4 years, adding two guys you may have heard of, Magic Johnson and James Worthy. THAT is why Magic never had to entertain the idea of joining the Celtics. You mean to tell me people wouldn't be going ape shit in 2016 if a team with LeBron or KD somehow got the number 1 overall pick in the draft 2 times in 4 years and were able to add subsequent hall of famers to their teams? You telling me the same people calling KD "bitch made" right now wouldn't be crying about how the league is rigged and ruined?

Love the state of current NBA fandom where it's a "bitch move" to maximize your chances to win a ring. Maybe if we didn't do the whole "MJ is better than LeBron cuz rings" thing rather than ever having rational discussion, it wouldn't be a thing. But the priority in "legacy" right now is "how many rings ya got?"
It's amusing because it was Durant himself calling it out as a bitch move when Lebron did it, and having cover stories about how he's sick of being number two all his life.

Fans and analysts put the "all that matters is number of rings" argument into play that leads to Durant making this decision. This is a "reap what you sow" kind of moment.

What kinda pisses me off too is that we lost a bunch of players without anything in return.

So basically our lineup (if Wade stays)

Dragic
Wade
Winslow (?)
Bosh (???)
Whiteside

Bench:
JRich
Haslem
Gerald Green
Dleaguer
Dleaguer
Dleaguer

Kill me now

As the weekend unfolded and Free Agency opened I kept watching the news and hoping that we didn't lose anybody yet we lost in 3 days Joe, Luol, Tyler Johnson and now possibly Wade and Haslem. And I know that we got Whiteside but still it sucked that we lost so many players and we don't have nothing to show in return except for Whiteside.

I personally had wanted one more year of that OKC team.

It's so dumb. It's really not any different. The Lakers had a playoff team with one of the greatest players in his prime (Kareem) and proceeded to get the number 1 overall pick twice over the next 4 years, adding two guys you may have heard of, Magic Johnson and James Worthy. THAT is why Magic never had to entertain the idea of joining the Celtics. You mean to tell me people wouldn't be going ape shit in 2016 if a team with LeBron or KD somehow got the number 1 overall pick in the draft 2 times in 4 years and were able to add subsequent hall of famers to their teams? You telling me the same people calling KD "bitch made" right now wouldn't be crying about how the league is rigged and ruined?

Yeah, and that was stupid then, and would still be stupid now

You're operating on the extremes here, it's not a that situation or this situation sort of deal.

alejob

I'm OK with KD going to Golden State.

However I'm not a big fan of this trend where the best players join up and form the big 3 or big 4 or whatever. Come on man! Go win you a championship not let this other guys win it for you.

Maybe they should remove limits on contracts. How can teams have 3 max contract or close to max players?

FZZ

Banned
This team is basically the Western Conference all star team

I know my and others posts are reactionary but come the fuck on this is obviously more ridiculous than LeBron going with Wade & Bosh to the Heat

It's worse than ring chasing because of all the recent shit that happened this past year

LeBron left his 61 win Cavs to join Wade's 47 win Heat.

KD leaves his 55 win Thunder to join Steph's 73 win Warriors.

SEVENTY-THREE.

Sifl

This guy on Sportscenter just said "July 4th 2016, the day Durant declared his independence from OKC".

People have lost their minds

Heh, damn I just typed that huh?

I'm sorry Mike :/

Rondo to the Bulls has fucked with my head :/
Look at it this way, at least the Bulls got more interesting.
It could very well be trainwreck city but the Bulls aren't going to be ready to win again for a while so might as well spice it up.
I was anti-getting Rondo and posted that here but there's nothing to lose.
Sit back, strap it down and enjoy the shitshow.
The Bulls were one player away from contention, now they are 4 to 7!!!
(Valentine will be good though)

Fans and analysts put the "all that matters is number of rings" argument into play that leads to Durant making this decision. This is a "reap what you sow" kind of moment.

It really isn't all that matters if people put Lebron with Kobe and Jordan while having less rings.

I wouldn't blame the fans I would just blame KD not wanting to be competitive and wanting his ring right now.

They signed who??

tim-duncan-no-hold-up-nba-funny-photos.jpg

However I'm not a big fan of this trend where the best players join up and form the big 3 or big 4 or whatever. Come on man! Go win you a championship not let this other guys win it for you.

Why should they adhere to your ideals? Clearly the important thing is winning rings, period.

I have no problem with it. Maybe someone can actually do better than 15-1

I personally had wanted one more year of that OKC team.

Yeah, and that was stupid then, and would still be stupid now

You're operating on the extremes here, it's not a that situation or this situation sort of deal.

I'm not trying to operate in extremes, I'm trying to make the point that people's memories are clouded by nostalgia. There were super teams then, they are super teams now, except for some reason that cannot be explained some people think it's worse when empowered players take control into their own hands and form super teams, rather than having owners take advantage of other stupid owners and form it for them. It's not a new phenomenon in sports, its the same reason you get some stupid fans bitch at players for not taking pay cuts while the owner skates buy pocketing billions. I honestly feel there is still a pretty big element in sports where players should shut up, take their money and be happy and when LeBron does what he did, or KD does what he is doing, they are somehow out of line with that.

Larry Beyince ‏@DragonflyJonez 3m3 minutes ago
Warriors making moves to win the next 5 titles and the Knicks putting together a squad to lose the 2011 ECF.

Gigglepoo

Ethan Strauss
‏@SherwoodStrauss

Iguodala just spoke of hanging with Curry and Durant in Turkey. Hey, who wants to start a "Durant to GSW in 2016???" rumor?
12:25 PM - 11 Jul 2013

Top Bottom