• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Gigglepoo

It's a different day and age. This is a team that just set the regular season record for the NBA. The team that beat KD's ass, partially because he shat the bet in the finals. It's a terrible look. But arguing whether we will remember this or not is not gonna get us anywhere. Let's see

How often do people bring up Barkley forcing his way out of Philly or Drexler's Phi Slama Jama reunion? Players have been moving to better situations forever.

It's a different day and age. This is a team that just set the regular season record for the NBA. The team that beat KD's ass, partially because he shat the bet in the finals. It's a terrible look. But arguing whether we will remember this or not is not gonna get us anywhere. Let's see

PUt yourself in KD's shoes, and you really want to play in GS. You think it will be fun to play with those guys, compete for rings, ect...and someone close to you says "But Kevin, it will be a terrible look". And you ask, "To who?" And his response? "The Internet". Do you let that sway your decision? Would you honestly give a half of a fuck?

FZZ

Banned
TwGg0iSl.jpg

XPanRvh.jpg

D U A L I T I E S

Vyer

Talked shit about super teams forming

Helped choke away 3-1 series lead

jumped ship to team you choked against that was already the best in the league to form super team

Somehow KD managed to take the unwanted crown away from 2010 LeBron. This has been a great year for King James

I'm not trying to operate in extremes, I'm trying to make the point that people's memories are clouded by nostalgia. There were super teams then, they are super teams now, except for some reason that cannot be explained some people think it's worse when empowered players take control into their own hands and form super teams, rather than having owners take advantage of other stupid owners and form it for them. It's not a new phenomenon in sports, its the same reason you get some stupid fans bitch at players for not taking pay cuts while the owner skates buy pocketing billions. I honestly feel there is still a pretty big element in sports where players should shut up, take their money and be happy and when LeBron does what he did, or KD does what he is doing, they are somehow out of line with that.

It's better for players. It's worse for fans. OKC fans lost their heart man. Having never been a fan of an NBA team that doesn't have 20 banners, I understand why you can't appreciate how the fans of 90% of NBA teams feel, but I'm sure you can at least imagine. You're arguing the principle; people are discussing how they feel. You can't win an argument by being technically sound. It comes off as tone deaf.

It's better for players. It's worse for fans. OKC fans lost their heart man. Having never been a fan of an NBA team that doesn't have 20 banners, I understand why you can't appreciate how the fans of 90% of NBA teams feel, but I'm sure you can at least imagine. You're arguing the principle; people are discussing how they feel. You can't win an argument by being technically sound. It comes off as tone deaf.

OKC fans make up like 2% of the people posting in this and the KD thread. It's not fans of a team having hope ripped out, it's people using terms like "Bitch made!" and "**insert player from the 80s** would have never done this!" that I'm referring to.

Pachimari

I need to understand this. People talk about Kevin Durant having been in the final but weren't it the Cavaliers and GSW who were up against each other?

Fjordson

I need to understand this. People talk about Kevin Durant having been in the final but weren't it the Cavaliers and GSW who were up against each other?
Western conference final. Basically if Durant had beaten Golden State once more he would have gone to the finals to face the Cavs.

Messi

Amazing, what a year for Lebron James. Vanquishes Curry, wins one for the land and KD takes the biggest villain title off of him. LeBron is the real champ. The hero we deserve.

NHale

Westbrook for IT and the Nets pick. DO IT AINGE!

If I was the Thunder I would be calling Boston and ask them for IT+Jay Crowder+Nets pick. Boston would not say no unless they believe Westbrook would not resign. Westbrook will not stay in OKC that's for sure.

B.O.O.M

How often do people bring up Barkley forcing his way out of Philly or Drexler's Phi Slama Jama reunion? Players have been moving to better situations forever.

Barkley? You mean the guy who went to the suns and was their best player? The guy who didn't win any rings?

Did that Rockets team have three stars like the GSW did? iirc that team also had injury issues before Clyde arrived. Did they have a regular season run like the GSW did? Did Portland beat Houston the year before? It's not even comparable. Players have moved to better situations always but your examples are Apples to Oranges.

PUt yourself in KD's shoes, and you really want to play in GS. You think it will be fun to play with those guys, compete for rings, ect...and someone close to you says "But Kevin, it will be a terrible look". And you ask, "To who?" And his response? "The Internet". Do you let that sway your decision? Would you honestly give a half of a fuck?

I mean are we going all in on hypothetical inner conversations now? If I was KD would I consider joining the team that beat me when I was so close to reaching the NBA final for a chance at the ring with the team I have been repping for so many years? Hell no. GSW isn't the only option to go out and try to win a ring with. Hell Spurs would have been better. But I'm not KD, neither are you. No use in arguing about this. I just 'personally' do not like this move at all, not for KD (and I love his game, one of the greatest of all time imho) or as a fan of the league.

Like I said, let's wait and see

If I was the Thunder I would be calling Boston and ask them for IT+Jay Crowder+Nets pick. Boston would not say no unless they believe Westbrook would not resign. Westbrook will not stay in OKC that's for sure.

Westbrook seems like they kind of guy that would want to stay in the West just to play Durant at least 4 times a year.

Gigglepoo

Players have moved to better situations always but your examples are Apples to Oranges.

There's no point in pointing at historical precedence if you're going to ignore every example that's not identical to Golden State. Guess what? No two situations are ever going to be the same.

Lockout on 2021 incoming. Even though they have that enormous television deal, it will take too much money and cap taxes to form a team that actually can compete with.

Lockout on 2021 incoming. Even though they have that enormous television deal, it will take too much money and cap taxes to form a team that actually can compete with.

I don't understand where people get this idea that "Super team forming=lockout"? Did a super team forming lead to the last one? Owners are still limiting salaries, ratings and revenue are through the roof, international growth is on the rise, and a move like this will keep the NBA on the front page throughout the offseason (here's KD at the Olympics with Klay and Dray! Here's KD's first day of training camp! Here's KD's first preseason game in Oakland!). The owners are loving this.

B.O.O.M

There's no point in pointing at historical precedence if you're going to ignore every example that's not identical to Golden State. Guess what? No two situations are ever going to be the same.

Of course but this is a special issue. The reason for such a huge outcry is because 1. How damn strong the gsw team was before KD joined them. One of the historically great teams. 2. They beat his own team in the conference finals, partly because he was terrible. Simple as that. If it wasn't for these reasons there won't be anywhere near of an outcry about this. So many it 'is' useless to argue using historical situations because I can't think anything that fits these two factors from the past about a player moving.

Gigglepoo

Of course but this is a special issue. The reason for such a huge outcry is because 1. How damn strong the gsw team was before KD joined them. One of the historically great teams. 2. They beat his own team in the conference finals, partly because he was terrible. Simple as that. If it wasn't for these reasons there won't be anywhere near of an outcry about this. So many it 'is' useless to argue using historical situations because I can't think anything that fits these two factors from the past about a player moving.

After thinking about your criteria for two seconds... Ray Allen

Idk its pretty shocking

This is probably the first time someone has left Oklahoma for California for a better shot at accomplishing their career goals

Straight up unprecedented

So did Durant really block his former teammate? What a dick move.

I've lost tons of respect for Durant. Really bad.
Yes KD blocked YNB

On 9/9/13

Josh5890

I don't get their egos sometimes. All Durant has to do is win one title in OKC and he will get a statue outside the damn stadium.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I'm down with this reasoning.

It's less of a KD problem and more of a league problem that their current salary and drafting structure make it so it's easier for mega teams to exist while the other 95% of the league flounders.

It's also semi unique to basketball as the rosters are sooo much smaller, and other sports like baseball and football are just fundamentally structured as sports differently.

Top Bottom